Pocket Gems

Updated Feb 22, 2015
Updated Feb 22, 2015

3.4

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Applied online, They asked me to set up interview dates and time. Once I sent the dates, the recruiter did not respond. I had applied on career page as well as on angel list. Apparently they had rejected me because of my online application and had selected me for the interview because of my application on Angel list. I had to send multiple mails to request status and finally they told me they cannot go through the interview.

Something similar had happened before as well, when I was selected for the interview process from a coding competition (where pocket gems itself out the blue contacted me for an interview) and later not interviewed. Back then i thought they might have had some reason.
    But now I figured that their recruiting process is flawed, after reading multiple reviews on Glassdoor.

The recruiters don't bother responding to the candidates queries. they reply till you are in the game and don't bother later. I have gone through multiple interviews, even recruiters at Google, such a big company, make sure the candidates are updated regularly and courteously.

I really liked Pocket Gems, but after this experience, I don't want to be mistreated like this anymore by this company. So, I would not bother applying unless they have better recruiting standards.

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Pocket Gems.

apply for software engineer position through website, get a response very quickly to arrange phone interview, nearly one week

2 phone interview each around one hour, mainly coding question and use share document
    it is said will assign according to experience and preference
    coding question always focus on time complexity

Interview Questions
    • Round 1 1 Strstr() 2 find top k frequency number
      Round 2 1 sort color 2 find next node in bst with parent pointer and without parent pointer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Pocket Gems in February 2015.

I was contacted by a recruiter in Pocket Gems via linkedin. I sent the resume and they replied to ask me schedule a phone interview. I sent the dates and time for interview. I did not hear anything back until two weeks after. At the scheduled date and time, they did not call me. Later I sent an email to ask them why. After 3 days, one person replied saying there is a change in their hiring plan and they will contact me in the following week.

However, they never contact me ever again and stop responding to me

Performance Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in February 2015.

Applied to the company on AngelList and received a response within the day. Set up an interview with a recruiter a few days later. First phone interview was completely behavioral, mostly getting info as to what I've done and why I want to come over to the company from my current job.

After that had a phone meeting with the head of the business branch of the company. First half of the meeting was behavioral and similar to the first interview questions followed by a case study. It was actually really fun, though I would have enjoyed some more engagement during the process or at least a more complex scenario.

After that moved on to another phone interview with the head of marketing where the questions were similar and then there was another simple case.

All interviews were around 45 minutes.

The communication during the process was a little disjointed but relatively quick which was nice. They also provided a lot of useful resources about the company and job role so I actually learned a bunch through the process which was great.

Interview Questions
    • What sort of skills would you bring to this role?
      Tell me about yourself?
      If I asked your boss to tell me what makes you a good asset to the team what would they say?
      What games do you play?

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems.

I have passed the two rounds phone interview and I will be onsite on next week.
    Round1: implement Strstr(), find top k frequent strings in a string array.
    Round2: give you a code, you need to understand it, find the most of its edge cases, then change the code for those edge cases.

Interview Questions
    • The follow up is kind of real problem, at first I didn't get the right way, then after he hint me, I just know how to solve it efficiently.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Pocket Gems.

Applied online. 2 days later they contacted me. First Round interview is all about algorithms. No resume question, no skill sets, no experience were asked. Coding online by stypi. I think it is better than google docs. About 60 mins for the whole interview

Interview Questions
    • 1.Implement strstr();
      2. K frequent elements in an unsorted array. Follow Up: huge amount of data in the array

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Pocket Gems.

Just pass the first round interview and waiting for the second.
    Two techinical questions:
    1. implement Strstr()
    2. K most occurence integer in an array, and some improvement of the algorithm I wrote
    Spend more of the time discussing the time complexcity

Interview Questions
    • The algorithms are not too difficult, but I was asked about the time complexity and some implementation details. Be aware of Big-O notation   Answer Question

Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems.

The interviewer was friendly. He asked me two questions, the first of which I answered correctly and the second of which I nearly finished until he called time at about the 50 minute mark. I thought I did pretty well, and I was confident I would get a 2nd interview. After emailing to ask about my decision 6 days after the interview, I was sent a standard rejection letter about 5 minutes afterwards.

I emailed the person I interviewed with twice and he hasn't responded. I can only assume through my experience that this level of negligence holds for the company as a whole. The woman who initially contacted me for an interview was just as uncaring.

Apply elsewhere if you don't want to waste your time.

Mobile Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Pocket Gems.

1 phone interview. It involved 2 technical questions on algorithms and optimization. They are very helpful to soundboard ideas during the process especially when I was stumbling at the end. Can do language of choice.

Interview Questions
    • Find a substring within a string. Return the int value of the position in the string where the substring starts. Know the Big O notation for your algorithm.   View Answer
    • Numbers between 1 and n. There is a missing number and one number is repeated twice. Know Big O notation.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Pocket Gems in January 2015.

Apply here if you want to be treated like a robot instead of a human being,

The phone interview when right into the coding challenge with no attempt to talk about my experience, my skill set, my resume, or who I am as an individual. Furthermore, the interviewee’s english was so broken that I had to continually ask him to repeat himself after every sentence.

Overall, I am disappointed. The interview was my first real glimpse of the company, and nothing positive come from it.