Pocket Gems

Updated Jul 15, 2014

3.7

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Pocket Gems.

First phone interview was not like the rest on here. No algorithm questions were given, but about 100 lines of code written in a C-based language like Java but not quite. I had to understand code that I had never seen before like what it does it do (answer: if you get 3 of the same colors in a row you get a match point and you win if the score is >= 3) and change the match point algorithm to where you can get points for 4 and 5 colors in a row. The only problem was the interviewer was so poor in trying to communicate what he wanted me to do that I took too long to figure it out. Almost everything I tried he said wouldn't work, which was wrong but the interviewer is king I guess. Thus, I failed. There is really no way to prepare for this type of interview.

Interview Questions
  • Change the code to where you get a match of 5, then it adds 5 points and if you have a match of 4 then it adds 4 points and so on.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Pocket Gems

Mobile Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in September 2013.

On campus interview, followed by a phone interview a few weeks later. Both interviewers were very nice, communicated well, and made the requirements for the questions clear. For the in person interview, I coded on a laptop instead of on a sheet of paper or a whiteboard, which was different than what many other companies do.

Interview Questions
    • Given two nodes in a binary tree, find their ancestor that is the lowest down on the tree.   View Answers (2)

Mobile Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pocket Gems.

Simple technical questions as most mentioned in the website

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Pocket Gems in November 2012.

Got in touch with the HR person and got a skype interview invite. Was asked to code - string reversal and LCA. coded a recursive version of LCA, however the interviewer was looking for O(N) version LCA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in October 2012.

Initially received an email from the HR stating that they wanted to talk . Had an initial interview discussing my background with the HR . Had a technical interview with screen share where I was asked two coding questions. I cleared that round and moved to the next round where I was again asked to code two questions on screen share but couldn't clear that interview.

The first HR executive with whom i interacted did fail to get back to me on time. However, the next HR person would be super efficient with respect to replying on time.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse a string
      Lowest common ancestor ( optimized)
      Copy a graph completely
      To return the first index of occurrence of a sub string inside a string
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Pocket Gems in September 2012.

Several phone interviews
    The questions are all not very hard
    But you still need to get prepared very well
    Because they expect you figure out each question with fast and accurate code
    I did not do well on my last phone interview
    So they did not move me forward
    I do not think the phone interviews are useful to filter applicants
    The questions are basic and the time is very limited
    You are not able to present what you have at all
    They should work out with some other ways

Interview Questions
    • How to traverse a graph only knowing each vertex and its adjacency list   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Pocket Gems in June 2012.

Campus interviews first. I was asked questions only on data structures like binary search trees and linked lists , stacks and queues...then a little of C coding questions....every round they expect code without bugs...questions like write test cases were also asked... . . Then there were two phone interviews with engineers.

Interview Questions
    • Given a preorder traversal construct a valid binary search tree.   Answer Question
    • how would you implement a stack using one queue.   Answer Question
    • Write a program to parse GPS data in separate XML files and calculate the whole distance.   Answer Question
    • how to handle the Chinese characters in output   Answer Question
    • File contains url and time stamp from search engine(billions of lines of data). How can you retrieve the top 100 urls in a given time frame?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in May 2012.

I have taken two phone interviews. The first one goes well. The interviewee just asked some background, and then asked the coding questions.
    1.. given a number, find two numbers from an array so that the sum is equal to that number;
    2.. given a number, find three numbers from an array so that their sum is equal to that number;
    During the second interview, the interviewee directly asked the coding problems.
    3. Given a sentence, and an output, write a function that takes the sentence and output the given results.
    I didn't do the first question well, and for the second one, I make some small mistakes. So I finally failed.

Interview Questions
    • given a number, find two numbers from an array so that the sum is equal to that number;   View Answer
    • given a number, find three numbers from an array so that their sum is equal to that number;   Answer Question
    • given a number, find four numbers from an array so that their sum is equal to that number;   Answer Question
    • Given a sentence, and an output, write a function that takes the sentence and output the given results.   Answer Question
    • Write code that can find all possible words in an nxn game of Boggle given two methods isPrefex() and isWord()   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in February 2012.

I approached them at my school's career fair. They invited me to have dinner with them that night with a few other candidates. The next day they arranged interviews on campus, which where about 30-45 minutes and consisted of basic programming questions and writing some code on a white board.

Following the on-campus interview they scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview included more basic programming questions and writing some code in a shared Google Doc. It was about 20-30 minutes.

After passing the phone interview they flew me to their office in San Francisco. The interview lasted for seven hours, during which I sat in a conference room as various members of the development team came in and asked me questions. I was offered bathroom and water breaks but no food, nor was I told to bring anything to eat beforehand.

Most of the questions asked me to describe or write code for an algorithm on a whiteboard. Many of the questions were the sort that if you'd happened to learn them in school or seen them somewhere online you'd be able to answer them right away, but if not you were screwed. Not the kind that you could reason through in a few minutes if you'd never seen them before.

The last person to interview me was the lead programmer. I could tell from the minute he walked in that he didn't like me. While writing on the white board he would make comments about the syntax like "What language is that? C++? Because that's not C++." I knew at that point that this was definitely not the place for me (although the seven hours without food being bombarded with interview questions was another hint).

Interview Questions
    • Describe how to sort integers read one at a time from an infinite stream.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Pocket Gems in January 2012.

Three phone calls. One with the HR director that was mostly fit questions, and then 2 almost back-to-back interviews with programmers. I went to their office the next week. They flew me out there and paid for everything.

Interview Questions
    • Find the sum of all the multiples of 3 or 5 below 1,000,000.   Answer Question
    • What is the largest prime factor of the number 600851475143 ? Write code.   Answer Question
    • A palindromic number reads the same both ways. The largest palindrome made from the product of two 2-digit numbers is 9009 = 91 * 99.

Find the largest palindrome made from the product of two 3-digit numbers.
        Answer Question
    • What is the smallest positive number that is evenly divisible by all of the numbers from 1 to 20?   Answer Question
    • By considering the terms in the Fibonacci sequence whose values do not exceed four million, find the sum of the even-valued terms.   Answer Question