Pocket Gems Mobile Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015

3.7

Mobile Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in February 2015.

Interview

I was emailed by HR for my resume and was then asked to email available times for an interview. The process was fairly straightforward and they responded quickly. My first phone interview had a coding question on an online codesharing site CoderPad. I was only asked one coding question, but didnt finish the question in time. After the coding question they'll ask about runtime. They responded quickly (same day) with my notice that I wasnt right for the part, but overall it was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• How to convert a ternary expression to binary search tree

Ex.

}

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Pocket Gems

Mobile Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview

1 phone interview. It involved 2 technical questions on algorithms and optimization. They are very helpful to soundboard ideas during the process especially when I was stumbling at the end. Can do language of choice.

Interview Questions

• Find a substring within a string. Return the int value of the position in the string where the substring starts. Know the Big O notation for your algorithm.   1 Answer
    • Numbers between 1 and n. There is a missing number and one number is repeated twice. Know Big O notation.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

First phone interview was not like the rest on here. No algorithm questions were given, but about 100 lines of code written in a C-based language like Java but not quite. I had to understand code that I had never seen before like what it does it do (answer: if you get 3 of the same colors in a row you get a match point and you win if the score is >= 3) and change the match point algorithm to where you can get points for 4 and 5 colors in a row. The only problem was the interviewer was so poor in trying to communicate what he wanted me to do that I took too long to figure it out. Almost everything I tried he said wouldn't work, which was wrong but the interviewer is king I guess. Thus, I failed. There is really no way to prepare for this type of interview.

Interview Questions

• Change the code to where you get a match of 5, then it adds 5 points and if you have a match of 4 then it adds 4 points and so on.   1 Answer

Mobile Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in September 2013.

Interview

On campus interview, followed by a phone interview a few weeks later. Both interviewers were very nice, communicated well, and made the requirements for the questions clear. For the in person interview, I coded on a laptop instead of on a sheet of paper or a whiteboard, which was different than what many other companies do.

Interview Questions

• Given two nodes in a binary tree, find their ancestor that is the lowest down on the tree.   2 Answers

Mobile Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview

Simple technical questions as most mentioned in the website

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Got in touch with the HR person and got a skype interview invite. Was asked to code - string reversal and LCA. coded a recursive version of LCA, however the interviewer was looking for O(N) version LCA

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems (San Jose, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Initially received an email from the HR stating that they wanted to talk . Had an initial interview discussing my background with the HR . Had a technical interview with screen share where I was asked two coding questions. I cleared that round and moved to the next round where I was again asked to code two questions on screen share but couldn't clear that interview.

The first HR executive with whom i interacted did fail to get back to me on time. However, the next HR person would be super efficient with respect to replying on time.

Interview Questions

• Reverse a string
      Lowest common ancestor ( optimized)
      Copy a graph completely
      To return the first index of occurrence of a sub string inside a string

1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

Several phone interviews
    The questions are all not very hard
    But you still need to get prepared very well
    Because they expect you figure out each question with fast and accurate code
    I did not do well on my last phone interview
    So they did not move me forward
    I do not think the phone interviews are useful to filter applicants
    The questions are basic and the time is very limited
    You are not able to present what you have at all
    They should work out with some other ways

Interview Questions

• How to traverse a graph only knowing each vertex and its adjacency list   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Campus interviews first. I was asked questions only on data structures like binary search trees and linked lists , stacks and queues...then a little of C coding questions....every round they expect code without bugs...questions like write test cases were also asked... . . Then there were two phone interviews with engineers.

Interview Questions

• Given a preorder traversal construct a valid binary search tree.   Answer Question
    • how would you implement a stack using one queue.   Answer Question
    • Write a program to parse GPS data in separate XML files and calculate the whole distance.   Answer Question
    • how to handle the Chinese characters in output   Answer Question
    • File contains url and time stamp from search engine(billions of lines of data). How can you retrieve the top 100 urls in a given time frame?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I have taken two phone interviews. The first one goes well. The interviewee just asked some background, and then asked the coding questions.
    1.. given a number, find two numbers from an array so that the sum is equal to that number;
    2.. given a number, find three numbers from an array so that their sum is equal to that number;
    During the second interview, the interviewee directly asked the coding problems.
    3. Given a sentence, and an output, write a function that takes the sentence and output the given results.
    I didn't do the first question well, and for the second one, I make some small mistakes. So I finally failed.

Interview Questions

• given a number, find two numbers from an array so that the sum is equal to that number;   1 Answer
    • given a number, find three numbers from an array so that their sum is equal to that number;   Answer Question
    • given a number, find four numbers from an array so that their sum is equal to that number;   Answer Question
    • Given a sentence, and an output, write a function that takes the sentence and output the given results.   Answer Question
    • Write code that can find all possible words in an nxn game of Boggle given two methods isPrefex() and isWord()   Answer Question