Pocket Gems

Pocket Gems Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

3.8

Mobile Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Pocket Gems.

First phone interview was not like the rest on here. No algorithm questions were given, but about 100 lines of code written in a C-based language like Java but not quite. I had to understand code that I had never seen before like what it does it do (answer: if you get 3 of the same colors in a row you get a match point and you win if the score is >= 3) and change the match point algorithm to where you can get points for 4 and 5 colors in a row. The only problem was the interviewer was so poor in trying to communicate what he wanted me to do that I took too long to figure it out. Almost everything I tried he said wouldn't work, which was wrong but the interviewer is king I guess. Thus, I failed. There is really no way to prepare for this type of interview.

Interview Questions
    • Change the code to where you get a match of 5, then it adds 5 points and if you have a match of 4 then it adds 4 points and so on.   View Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Pocket Gems in May 2014.

The interview process was very straightforward with a very friendly conversation about my recruiting experience and sourcing methods. All in all, the first person I spoke with was great, and it felt more like shooting the breeze than interviewing.

The second interviewer was less relaxed. It felt much more like an interview, and I got the distinct impression that I started off on the interviewer's bad side and had to earn a place on the good side. In general, I think I got there, but it was definitely an effort. Apparently I had said something that raised a flag (I mentioned that I have been in several situations where I am either the lead or only recruiter) and all questions from that point were about my ability and interest in being on a team and working with others, which I'm very happy to do (or I wouldn't have applied).

Honestly, aside from not being the best personality match between the second interviewer and me, it was a very nice process until the end, when I was rejected and was not told directly. I realize that I was working with an agency, but I find it incredibly unprofessional for a company to avoid a direct rejection note to a candidate with whom they have actually spoken. I've worked with agencies as a recruiter myself, and if I interview a candidate I will always follow-up with candidates directly to let them know where they stand, even if the agency rep has already told them.

Interview Questions
    • Are you familiar with JobVite? (asked after specifically saying I was not familiar with JobVite, but with several other ATSs)   Answer Question

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Pocket Gems in November 2013.

This company seems like they're growing fast and hiring to catch up. They clearly are willing to spend money to attract and keep talent, as they have many in-office facilities to make work life enjoyable (ping pong, video games, catered lunch, social events, etc).

The actual interview consisted of 3 employees who each asked me one or two algorithm questions.

One set (my first) was about the design of a custom class to take surveys and the other two consisted of more simple problems that tested asymptotic complexity.

Overall it seemed like a fun-loving new company out to make some campy iPhone games. Nothing was unexpected.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to scan a string and return true if it could be divided into substrings that all appear in a dictionary. Then I had to identify its complexity at 2^n and improve it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in October 2013.

Standard phone interview with some introductions and then they headed into the programming questions. How to reverse a string, LCA, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Given 8/9 jars with a marbles weighing 1 gm and 2/1 jars with marbles weighing 1.1 gm each, how many weighs are necessary to find the heavier jars in minimal possible weighs.   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in October 2013.

Two phone interviews
    1. LCA
    2. clone a graph

Product Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in June 2013.

I had 3 interviews, each spaced about one week apart. The first two Pocket Gems employees I spoke with were very professional and friendly, but I had a negative experience with the third employee I spoke with. I could tell from the get-go that this person was not excited to speak with me, and came across as though I was wasting their time (this is especially frustrating because in a startup workplace, you have to accept that the fate of your employment lies in the hands of someone who is probably much younger than you, and they just don't seem to care as much about the hiring process).

It's also unfortunate that Pocket Gems is biased towards people with consulting backgrounds, and this is apparent in their interviewing style. There are so many facets of product management that are not reflective in their interview process, so they don't give non-consultants a chance to shine.

Interview Questions
    • Questions ranged from brainteasers, to questions specifically regarding Pocket Gems apps, to theoretically-based statistical questions on life time value, etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Pocket Gems in March 2013.

Met at career fair, first interview was a technical phone interview + stypi for sharing code in realtime.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Write a method to reverse a string in place (constant space and linear time).   View Answers (2)
    • 2. Given 2 simple nodes in a binary tree, write a method to return their youngest common ancestor (linear time). Simple node = data, left child, right child.   View Answer

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems.

two round phone interviews and then onsite interview, there would be 2-5 round interviews onsite depends on your performance. I just got two and then they just let me go.

Interview Questions
    • This is a design question, they asked me to design a server control system for a survey website, there would be two basic functions, one is next() and the other one is getQuestions(), the next() function would check if the answer to the survey is valid , and the function getQuestions() would return the questions in the next page. You should write out what you need.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in January 2013.

Quick phone screen, and then second phone interview and then an onsite.

Pay is not that good.

QA Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in January 2013.

I applied via their website and was contacted by a recruiter about 2-3 weeks later. There were 2 phone interviews, the first one was conducted by a lead who just wanted to see if there was a cultural fit or click, along with discussion of qualifications of the candidate. I was given up the second interview a week later, which the QA lead failed to call for the interview for whatever reason. I was forced to reschedule because of this after I called in to ask about my interview. The interview was pretty difficult for me since I had no prior experience to game testing or bugs, but I still pulled it off since I've done a lot of reading and research on game development and had a bachelors in computer science (so I had experience working in team environments).

The onsite interview felt really rushed and there wasn't time to ask questions at the end of the round of interviews, which kind of bothered me. Almost all the questions asked were technical and math related, a few logic to gauge your problem solving skills. They were nice nonetheless.

Interview Questions
    • They were all mostly technical questions gauged at how well you can solve problems and communicate concurrently.   Answer Question