Pocket Gems

www.pocketgems.com
  www.pocketgems.com

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Pocket Gems in March 2012.

I initially contacted Pocket Gems through the career fair at my university; I gave them my resume at that time. Shortly after that, they contacted me to schedule an initial technical interview with a software development manager. The first interview was difficult, but I apparently answered the questions well enough to be invited back for three more technical interviews with Pocket Gems software engineers. I went through a total of four in-person 1-on-1 technical interviews, each lasting approximately 45 minutes. After I completed those interviews, a recruiter notified me within a few days to notify me that Pocket Gems would be offering me a job, and a different recruiter contacted me a couple of days after that to give me the specifics of the offer.

My advice: the interview questions will be difficult, but be confident, explain your thought process well, and retain your composure even if you think the interview is going badly. You might be doing better than the interviewer is letting on.

Interview Questions
  • Sorting a list of some random type.   Answer Question
  • How would you implement a top 3 word count in a text editor application?   View Answer
  • How would you design a checkers game?   Answer Question
  • How do you represent an unlimited dimensional maze and traverse it to find the exit.   Answer Question
  • Determine the number of 1's in binary representation of integer.   Answer Question
I didn't try to negotiate anything other than the start date. I felt the initial offer was much more than reasonable for someone just getting out of school, especially given the current economic climate.

Other Interview Reviews for Pocket Gems

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Pocket Gems in January 2012.

Pocket Gems did a presentation at our school's career fair. I didn't turn in my resume at the career fair, but I later applied through the website.

I had a phone conversation with a recruiter and we talked about what role was a good fit, and from his description, I thought that analytics work was the best. I've done some open source work on a server architecture very closely related to what they're using.

I had two technical phone interviews with programmers working on the server. The questions were mostly coding questions. We wrote into an online google document. It was hard to work without a real IDE and autocomplete.

They flew me to San Francisco for a day of interviews. The interviews were very varied, and I got to hung out with the team. They had a lot of games there in the office. We played foosball, ping pong, and billiards.

About a week later, they told me it probably wasn't a good fit. They seemed nice, I had fun, and I learned a lot while I was there.

Interview Questions
    • Design a dictionary. Use object-oriented principles. What methods, variables, and classes would you use?   Answer Question
    • How do you test the Save/Load functionality in Tap Pet Hotel?   View Answer
    • Give an object-oriented design for an ATM.   Answer Question
    • Give an algorithm for identifying objects from a video. What about in a stil image?   Answer Question
    • Write a function that compares two strings and returns a third string containing only the letters that appear in both.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Pocket Gems in August 2011.

Pocket Gems came to my school as part of a job career fair, and I liked their presentation enough that I came to San Francisco to do a series of on site interviews. Some of the interviewers were really hard, but others asked a lot easier questions. It was a nice trip to SF.

Their office is pretty cool. I especially enjoyed playing pool with some of the other developers there.

Interview Questions
    • Give an object-oriented design for the U.S. highway system.   View Answer
    • Implement a queue using two stacks.   View Answers (2)
    • Implement the data structures and algorithms for a binary search tree. Implement the add, remove, and change methods. Implement pivoting methods, too. Use this to implement a balanced binary tree.   Answer Question

I took a job offer from Microsoft instead.