Pocket Gems

Updated Jul 13, 2014

3.6

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in September 2013.

The phone interview process was actually pretty straightforward, a little pre-interview banter before diving right into the technical problems. A shared document was used along with the phone conversation to administer the problems. The interview went on for about 1 hour 15 minutes before it concluded with the interviewer asking me if I had any questions for him.

Interview Questions
  • Given an infinite number of bricks of given weights w (say w = [1, 2]) and a truck of capacity c (say, c = 3), how would you find all possible combinations of bricks that match the capacity exactly? Duplicates such as [1,2] and [2,1] are NOT allowed.   View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Pocket Gems

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pocket Gems.

I was asked by pretty much the similar questions as my friends. The question is all revealed on this site. reverse string and LCA The question is not difficult except that they do ask one brain teaser question, which is I don't like.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Pocket Gems.

Giving the resume during job fair in school, and got the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • 1. reversing the string(c++)
      1. Least Common Ancestor(LCA), aka First Common Ancestor
        View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Pocket Gems in March 2013.

Met at career fair, first interview was a technical phone interview + stypi for sharing code in realtime.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Write a method to reverse a string in place (constant space and linear time).   View Answers (2)
    • 2. Given 2 simple nodes in a binary tree, write a method to return their youngest common ancestor (linear time). Simple node = data, left child, right child.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in January 2013.

Quick phone screen, and then second phone interview and then an onsite.

Pay is not that good.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in October 2012.

I was introduced to Pocket Gems by a recruiter who found me through Linked In. The Pocket Gems recruiter interviewed me, then set me up for a technical interview. He referred me to Glassdoor.com to prepare. When the interviewer called, he sent a link to a document that he could see on his computer, as I typed. He asked 3 questions, including one brain teaser.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Write a function to reverse a string   View Answer
    • 2) You have 10 jars containing 100 marbles each. One jar has marbles weighing 1.1 grams. The other jars have marbles weighing 1.0 grams. The marbles all look alike. What is the minimum number of weighs on a scale to find out which jar has the heavy marbles.   View Answers (3)
    • 3) Write a function to find the Least Common Ancestor of a tree: function LCA(int a, int b)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in July 2012.

one round of HR interview, two rounds of technical interviews. Both of them are about algorithm design.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Pocket Gems in May 2012.

got an email from an pg recruter, about an phone interview and a programming assignment.the asignment needs to be finished and submitted before the interview. The phone interview was not very diffcult but lots of them were about data structure and algorithms. I felt I answered them ok. Pocket Gems didn't update me about the status until a month later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Pocket Gems in April 2012.

I was contacted by Pocket Gems and schedule a phone screen with them within 1 week, Interviewer was good and clear on her questions. The interview was over an online shared coding whiteboard, that had auto indent and syntax highlight so it was not too uncomfortable. Programming questions you get to decide the language.

Interview Questions
    • - Reverse a string with follow up questions on mutability   Answer Question
    • - Lowers Common Ancestor of a pair of nodes in a Tree but do it in O(logN) time complexity (pseudo code ok)   Answer Question
    • Finding odd weight ball out of 8 balls in minimum number of tries.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Pocket Gems in March 2012.

I met them when they came to my campus. I did an interview then and then flew to San Francisco.

Interview Questions
    • Copy a linked list.   Answer Question
    • Implement a controller for an elevator.   Answer Question
    • You and the interviewer play a game. There are piles of stones on a table, each with a different number of stones. On your turn, you can take from the table any positive number of stones from any single pile. The person who takes the last stone wins. What's your move?   View Answers (3)
    • Construct a SQL query to average the ages of all the people who live in a certain city who are above 18 years old.   Answer Question
    • What design flaws does the iPad have?   Answer Question