Pocket Gems Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 5, 2015

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Took one week through Lytmus to get a response from Pocket Gems for an interview. After receiving the notification for the interview a time was set for the following week. When the interview began, only one general question was asked then we moved immediately to the technical questions. The interview was talked over the phone but the technical questions were done through an online text editor for coding. The communication over the phone was not that great and it was hard to hear at times.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Pocket Gems

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

This process took 1 week. I have the first interview with an engineer here. I received an question about algorithm, but I misunderstood that question if it was a coding question or algorithm question. I solved that question by coding, but I didn't have enough time. At the end I answer the question with the way to solve it and I realized that was what he wanted :).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview is smooth and straightforward. Two rounds of phone interviews and 4 rounds of onsite. Mostly coding and OOD design. The questions vary from person to person, I got an past onsite interview question in my phone interview (but only one question was asked). People are nice, no surprisingly difficult questions or communication. Suggest prepare for more questions than the company typically asks.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. The first phone was a technical interview. The interviewer was helpful. But the phone reception was poor, I had bad time confirming information back and forth.

Application

Interview

Get initial phone within a week after applied. Have two coding interview. I solve all the problems but fail. I got second coding interview just after first coding interview. Interviewer won't talk much to help you.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online, contacted by hr one or two days later. Two round phone interview. Each one lasted for about an hour. No behavior question, some algorithm question ask you to analyze the time and space cost. I feel I answer all the questions on each round. However, rejected after the second one.

Interview Questions

• Show me some codes and ask me what the meaning of this code, then make change on the codes. The interviewer seems uninterested the whole process and even no respond for about 10 minutes during the interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems in July 2015.

Interview

I got this interview by Hackerrank contest. Interview is not difficult, but still failed. I finished all the problems during phone interview, but didn't pass the 2nd round. This company give many people interview, but only hire few.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview: First round: Ternary expression to Binary Tree Second Round: Sort Color, Next node in BST   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (Boston, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online, get first phone interview in a week, then get second round immediately after first one. I solved all the problem during second round, but fail. I really don't understand why.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview

Phone interview. Asked technical questions. The interviewer was very sweet and patient. We went through every problem and examples and how the code will run. Yet to hear from them

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Pocket Gems in June 2015.

Interview

One of the 700+ applied online. Got an interview within days. Guess they are doing a breadth first search through the applicants, so do not get excited if you get an interview. Once we got on the phone, we went straight to two problems (strstr & k most frequent # (yes k not kth)). Got second round within minutes. Advices: Force yourself into a habit of writing pseudo-code/task list as comments before you start writing code. 1. It will guide you through implementation. 2. It tells what your code does to the interviewers. Make sure you think out loud, and promptly comment on/explain any of the more complex logic as the interviewers are trying to understand your code while you write them. It will make the life easier for the interviewer and ultimately for you. As for the programming problems, they do not expect you to implement a KMP or a BM algorithm and the likes out of the blue. Yet, be reassured that a brute force solution for strstr with an average time complexity of O(mn) is not acceptable anywhere in the universe. The same holds true for space complexity as well (but less strict). I guess what they want to find out about you out of these questions is whether you can code, whether you constantly shoot for O(logN)/O(n) or even better O(1) algorithms and whether you can communicate effectively with your coworkers as a software engineer. Therefore, in addition to the other things, be sure to know your go to language. Take C for example, throw some mixtures of typedefs, bit paddings, consts, inlines, passing array of pointers by references, functors, or even some inline assembly when you code. Also remember to free up any memory allocated on the heap for languages without garbage collection to show that you think about memory usages, as memory leakage problem is very real for Objective-C, Swift and other things that use reference counting.

Interview Questions

• 1. strstr, k most frequent 2. sort color (possibly review enum and struct if using c++), find the smallest node that is bigger than the given node (review bst traversal)   1 Answer