Pocket Gems

Average Difficulty
20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Pocket Gems in April 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by Pocket Gems and schedule a phone screen with them within 1 week, Interviewer was good and clear on her questions. The interview was over an online shared coding whiteboard, that had auto indent and syntax highlight so it was not too uncomfortable. Programming questions you get to decide the language.

Interview Questions

• - Reverse a string with follow up questions on mutability   Answer Question
  • - Lowers Common Ancestor of a pair of nodes in a Tree but do it in O(logN) time complexity (pseudo code ok)   Answer Question
  • Finding odd weight ball out of 8 balls in minimum number of tries.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pocket Gems in September 2013.

Interview Details – The phone interview process was actually pretty straightforward, a little pre-interview banter before diving right into the technical problems. A shared document was used along with the phone conversation to administer the problems. The interview went on for about 1 hour 15 minutes before it concluded with the interviewer asking me if I had any questions for him.

Interview Question – Given an infinite number of bricks of given weights w (say w = [1, 2]) and a truck of capacity c (say, c = 3), how would you find all possible combinations of bricks that match the capacity exactly? Duplicates such as [1,2] and [2,1] are NOT allowed.   View Answers (2)

Very Easy Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pocket Gems in January 2013.

Interview Details – Quick phone screen, and then second phone interview and then an onsite.

Interview Question – How to resolve deadlock.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Pay is not that good.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Pocket Gems in March 2013.

Interview Details – Met at career fair, first interview was a technical phone interview + stypi for sharing code in realtime.

Interview Questions

• 1. Write a method to reverse a string in place (constant space and linear time).   View Answers (2)
  • 2. Given 2 simple nodes in a binary tree, write a method to return their youngest common ancestor (linear time). Simple node = data, left child, right child.   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview Details – I was asked by pretty much the similar questions as my friends. The question is all revealed on this site. reverse string and LCA The question is not difficult except that they do ask one brain teaser question, which is I don't like.

Interview Question – The questions are all revealed on this site.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview Details – Giving the resume during job fair in school, and got the phone interview.

Interview Question – 1. reversing the string(c++)
1. Least Common Ancestor(LCA), aka First Common Ancestor
  View Answers (2)

Very Difficult Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Pocket Gems in October 2012.

Interview Details – I was introduced to Pocket Gems by a recruiter who found me through Linked In. The Pocket Gems recruiter interviewed me, then set me up for a technical interview. He referred me to Glassdoor.com to prepare. When the interviewer called, he sent a link to a document that he could see on his computer, as I typed. He asked 3 questions, including one brain teaser.

Interview Questions

• 1) Write a function to reverse a string   View Answer
  • 2) You have 10 jars containing 100 marbles each. One jar has marbles weighing 1.1 grams. The other jars have marbles weighing 1.0 grams. The marbles all look alike. What is the minimum number of weighs on a scale to find out which jar has the heavy marbles.   View Answers (3)
  • 3) Write a function to find the Least Common Ancestor of a tree: function LCA(int a, int b)   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Pocket Gems in July 2012.

Interview Details – one round of HR interview, two rounds of technical interviews. Both of them are about algorithm design.

San Francisco, CA

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Pocket Gems in May 2012.

Interview Details – got an email from an pg recruter, about an phone interview and a programming assignment.the asignment needs to be finished and submitted before the interview. The phone interview was not very diffcult but lots of them were about data structure and algorithms. I felt I answered them ok. Pocket Gems didn't update me about the status until a month later.

Very Difficult Interview

San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Pocket Gems in March 2012.

Interview Details – I met them when they came to my campus. I did an interview then and then flew to San Francisco.

Interview Questions

• Copy a linked list.   Answer Question
  • Implement a controller for an elevator.   Answer Question
  • You and the interviewer play a game. There are piles of stones on a table, each with a different number of stones. On your turn, you can take from the table any positive number of stones from any single pile. The person who takes the last stone wins. What's your move?   View Answers (3)
  • Construct a SQL query to average the ages of all the people who live in a certain city who are above 18 years old.   Answer Question
  • What design flaws does the iPad have?   Answer Question

Worked for Pocket Gems? Contribute to the Community!