Poet - Ethanol Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.6

Environmental Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Poet - Ethanol (Sioux Falls, SD) in February 2015.

Interview

Skype interview with two Senior Engineers. Fairly relaxed, but they ask a lot of questions where you have to give scenarios where you "used good judgement" or "made the most out of a poor situation". Why do you want to work for POET? Definitely prepare for those sorts of questions and you should be fine. They ask right off the bat if you have any questions to ask them.. Yes, I do. But I was hoping you'd tell me a little bit about the position first!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you needed to synthesize data and come to a conclusion. How did you do this?

Do you have any experience with environmental regulations or rules?

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Poet - Ethanol.

Interview

Pretty standard job interview. Two rounds. General questions such as "Walk me through your resume." "Tell me about yourself." "Greatest strengths, greatest weaknesses, etc." The interviewer was very easy to talk to and the interview felt more like a very pleasant conversation than a grilling.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I knew the ethanol production process/ had any knowledge of the ethanol value chain. I didn't, which did not negatively affect me, but having some prior knowledge of the science behind ethanol production would be a big bonus.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation- summer internship.

Lab Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Poet - Ethanol (Alexandria, IN).

Interview

Interviewed with the general manager as the plant was not open yet and the Quality Manager had just quit. Was a pleasant interview, basically like a conversation. Very laid back. It will help if you are a small town person, or believe in ethanol and green energy.

Interview Questions

• None that I can really think of but I was not interviewed by someone who was employed in my field.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They gave me a number and I suggested a higher one. I was given the higher wage.

Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sioux Falls, SD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Poet - Ethanol (Sioux Falls, SD) in March 2013.

Interview

Great, interview knew exactly what they were doing; could tell they have been trained! I thought it would be 1 on 1, but I ended up meeting with several people throughout the day. My fault, they told me that. and and and and and and and and and and and

Interview Questions

• Basic behavorial based questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy, I didn't negotiate.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Marion, OH

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Poet - Ethanol (Marion, OH) in December 2012.

Interview

I was contacted via email to interview over the phone. The interview had the typical questions. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. The interview was very nice and very understanding of my undergraduate position.

Interview Questions

• What don't you like about your current job?   1 Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Poet - Ethanol (Alexandria, IN) in November 2010.

Interview

I was first interviewed by phone. This was a brief conversation about my history and an explanation of the position. After the phone interview they asked me if I would be available to interview on site. Of course I said yes. The on site interview started off as a one on one with the local head of HR. He asked the usual questions about my background and explained the position again. He then lead me though the plant to meet the Lead Engineer. In this interview I was asked technical questions about my background. Questions relating to diagnosing problems with different pieces of equipment. After this interview I got to meet the heads of process control and maintenance. These men discussed the environmental and interpersonal aspects of the position. After the interviews were over I met back up with the head of HR and discussed the interviews. He told me that he was very interested and that he had another interviewee the next day. He told me that they would be choosing me, the interviewer tomorrow, or discuss continuing the search. He assured me that he would contact me in any case. I am still waiting.

Interview Questions

• What makes you the right choice for this position?   1 Answer
    • How would you determine what is wrong with a heat exchanger?   1 Answer

Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Manchester, IN

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Poet - Ethanol (North Manchester, IN) in May 2010.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR. Forwarded to plant tour and interview with Process Engineer, Plant Manager and Head of Engineering. Basic questions regarding interests, qualifications, etc.

Interview Questions

• How do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky, is it Louisville or Louyville? (Yes the engineering manager asked me this)   1 Answer

Less pay than other offer

EH&S Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashton, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Poet - Ethanol (Ashton, IA) in April 2010.

Interview

On-line application to corporate & then was called to inform me I was being considered. Initial interview via phone & final interview in person with Tech Mgr & Gen. Mgr plus tour of the plant. Was relatively short, no lunch or other extras one might expect to make everyone "comfortable".

Interview Questions

• None out of the ordinary (problems you've solved, biggest challenge, "what would you do if..." etc) Sensed they were not used to hiring my position and were a bit unsure of what they wanted or needed.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None as corporate has ceiling for each position & I was at the top limit with my minimum request.