Poet - Ethanol

6 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Poet - Ethanol.

Interview Details – Pretty standard job interview. Two rounds. General questions such as "Walk me through your resume." "Tell me about yourself." "Greatest strengths, greatest weaknesses, etc." The interviewer was very easy to talk to and the interview felt more like a very pleasant conversation than a grilling.

Interview Question – I was asked if I knew the ethanol production process/ had any knowledge of the ethanol value chain. I didn't, which did not negatively affect me, but having some prior knowledge of the science behind ethanol production would be a big bonus.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation- summer internship.

EH&S Manager Interview

EH&S Manager
Ashton, IA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Poet - Ethanol in April 2010.

Interview Details – On-line application to corporate & then was called to inform me I was being considered. Initial interview via phone & final interview in person with Tech Mgr & Gen. Mgr plus tour of the plant. Was relatively short, no lunch or other extras one might expect to make everyone "comfortable".

Interview Question – None out of the ordinary (problems you've solved, biggest challenge, "what would you do if..." etc) Sensed they were not used to hiring my position and were a bit unsure of what they wanted or needed.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None as corporate has ceiling for each position & I was at the top limit with my minimum request.

Lab Tech Interview

Lab Tech
Alexandria, IN

I applied in-person and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Poet - Ethanol.

Interview Details – Interviewed with the general manager as the plant was not open yet and the Quality Manager had just quit. Was a pleasant interview, basically like a conversation. Very laid back. It will help if you are a small town person, or believe in ethanol and green energy.

Interview Question – None that I can really think of but I was not interviewed by someone who was employed in my field.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They gave me a number and I suggested a higher one. I was given the higher wage.

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Marion, OH

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Poet - Ethanol in December 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted via email to interview over the phone. The interview had the typical questions. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. The interview was very nice and very understanding of my undergraduate position.

Interview Question – What don't you like about your current job?   View Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer
Alexandria, IN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Poet - Ethanol in November 2010.

Interview Details – I was first interviewed by phone. This was a brief conversation about my history and an explanation of the position. After the phone interview they asked me if I would be available to interview on site. Of course I said yes. The on site interview started off as a one on one with the local head of HR. He asked the usual questions about my background and explained the position again. He then lead me though the plant to meet the Lead Engineer. In this interview I was asked technical questions about my background. Questions relating to diagnosing problems with different pieces of equipment. After this interview I got to meet the heads of process control and maintenance. These men discussed the environmental and interpersonal aspects of the position. After the interviews were over I met back up with the head of HR and discussed the interviews. He told me that he was very interested and that he had another interviewee the next day. He told me that they would be choosing me, the interviewer tomorrow, or discuss continuing the search. He assured me that he would contact me in any case. I am still waiting.

Interview Questions

• What makes you the right choice for this position?   View Answer
  • How would you determine what is wrong with a heat exchanger?   View Answer

Engineer Intern Interview

Engineer Intern
North Manchester, IN

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Poet - Ethanol in May 2010.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with HR. Forwarded to plant tour and interview with Process Engineer, Plant Manager and Head of Engineering. Basic questions regarding interests, qualifications, etc.

Interview Question – How do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky, is it Louisville or Louyville? (Yes the engineering manager asked me this)   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Less pay than other offer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Poet - Ethanol? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Poet - Ethanol interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Poet - Ethanol employees and interview candidates.