Pointwise Interview Questions & Reviews

2.0

Software Development Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Pointwise in March 2014.

Submitted an application. Was contacted within 3 days by the recruiting team, and had a 30-minute phone interview within the next 3 days. Contacted about the offer 2 days after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview was very organized. They had four people over on the phone at the same time (managers, engineers, etc.) and each of them had questions prepared related to their own area of expertise. It lasted for about 30 minutes and I got an offer within 2 days.   Answer Question

I have another offer from a company with higher hourly rate.

Summer Internship Interview

They asked me many questions about my Resume, and ask me how I do my research, what kinds of methods I used. Other than it, they also asked about the programming background I have. I say that I have some basic background. Few days later I received an email that they say this position is not fit for me.

Interview Questions
    • What kinds of method you are using for your research now?   Answer Question

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Pointwise in April 2012.

Had 30-45 minute phone interview which was followed up with a skill survey and then reference check. Then was invited down to Ft. Worth for an on-site interview(supposedly expenses paid).

Toured their building and met everyone. Everyone was really nice and seemed pretty sharp. I was definitely not impressed by their building and really underwhelmed by their location. From what I saw of Fort Worth, they're in the worst part of the city.

Gave a 30-45 minute ppt presentation of stuff I've worked on and stuff I"m interested in to everyone I met which seemed to go ok even though I'm a bad presenter. They had asked me for this beforehand so I was fairly prepared.

Had a short skills assessment which consisted of listing what programming books I've read(which surprised me, I don't memorize titles/authors), simple description of an algorithm to find all polygons crossing a specified plane, and a simple class to hold points/connectivity of a group of polygons.

My overall impression of the people at Pointwise is that they are a mix of ex-Lockheed people and fresh out of college people. I think their hiring techniques are more oriented towards those just out of school rather than anyone with a bit of experience.

Interview Questions
    • Name all the programming books you've read.   View Answer

Initially, I knew that living in Fort Worth was going to be a tough change for me but I thought that if everything else was equal, enjoyment of the work would win me over. However, they thoroughly dropped the ball.

Red flag 1: Pointwise's "historical" building is a bit of a dump in my opinion. They are also in an "economically depressed" area. In other words, I really don't like the thought of getting mugged in their tiny parking lot after a long day. I suppose everyone in Texas is packing heat so maybe this is a perk?

Red flag 2: I did not have very good receipts for air travel/rental car/hotel stay(thanks travelocity) but I sent everything I had to PW after I got back home and told them to let me know if they were inadequate. To date, I haven't heard a single response from them about getting reimbursed. This by itself is a deal breaker to me. If you can't keep your word on recruitment travel reimbursement then I doubt you'll even cover salary so we're done.

Red flag 3: I did get an email that an offer was in the mail along with a preview pdf which contained a start date that was at least a month earlier than I had repeatedly stated and a salary we hadn't negotiated. It was a little low which is expected as long as they're open to negotiation, but also mentioned in the pdf were a few references to their employee handbook and a copy of the position I was getting hired for, so I thought I should wait until I had the actual offer letter in my hands before I made my decision. 4 or 5 days later the offer finally came. No employee handbook so I've got no idea what I'd be agreeing to and they had switched the position I thought I was applying for without telling me. It felt like a shell game move to me and I was a bit bitter about not hearing about #2 above.

In my opinion, Pointwise would be a nice place to get a few years worth of experience if you're fresh out of school and you're naive enough to look past some unprofessional-ism. If you've got some experience already then save yourself the time and travel money. Find a company that keeps their word and proofreads their offers.

Worked for Pointwise? Contribute to the Community!