Politico Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.4

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Politico (Arlington, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview was a set of informal conversations with various Politico employees. One of the employees was basically there "just to get away from his desk for a minute," as he said, but the others offered engaging insight into plenty of subject matter. The entire process takes around four hours. I had a fantastic interview, so I'm not really sure what they are looking for. On top of that, I received three separate rejection emails (CTO, some HR person, and the recruiter). Thanks, I get it.

Great Question - Still Unknown Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Politico (Arlington, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

Recruiter reached out - phone screen - wanted to move me forward - heard nothing for 2 weeks - got an email from HR - another phone screen - heard nothing for 1 week - Email asking me to come in next day - confirmed interview time (2 hour block) - interviewers ran 1/2 hour late & had me sitting in a conf room after the interview for over 30 minutes to wait for someone to walk me out.

Account Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Politico (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online, heard back a few days later for an in person interview. Phone interview very relaxed, a lot of behavioral questions and sales related questions. Did not receive an offer even though was under the impression it went well.

Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Politico.

Interview

Clearly no one had been through any executive-level interview training. Softball questions. There was a 5-minute onboarding session where nothing was explained. The whole process was like amateur hour. The interviewers were rambling and unprepared and answered my questions by circumlocuting the questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with conflict? I should have seen that as a big red flag, as every person asked me that.   Answer Question

Business Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Politico (Arlington, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone screen followed by in person (with 3 people at varying levels of management). Be able to spin something about sales even if you don't have sales experience. It's very behavioral and personality based. Ultimately turned it down because the salary was a joke. 38K base plus commission? Maybe for someone JUST out of college, but good luck living on their total package of 50K in DC area. It's almost impossible. Especially when your monthly expenses are based on your 38K-based pay check. After turning down offer, I got a not so friendly response.

Interview Questions

• What's the most recent book you read? Now try to convince me to read that book.   Answer Question

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Politico (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Initially screened on the phone for a half an hour by someone from the company. After passing that portion of the process, I was set up for an in person interview. This interview was with three different people in rotation. I spoke to each person for a half an hour one-on-one so the interview lasted an hour an a half in all. I few days later I received an email to repeat the process with three new people. Overall, I really enjoyed their interview process. They were candid and kind and understood that I was a little nervous. They're definitely looking for personality: people that are very ambitious, have a lot of energy, and are hardworking. They're very honest about who they are and what they expect from you,

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Politico (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Had 1 phone interview, then had a try-out where I wrote 3 stories in 2 hours (6 to 8am) and then went for a more casual interview face-to-face with the employer. Next step was a meeting in the office with 4 employees at the company. Kind of like a round of speed dating for a job. After that, I got the offer

Interview Questions

• Looking for a keen sense of news, don't focus to much on the "digital journalism" aspect   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiations

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Politico (Arlington, VA) in September 2013.

Interview

I had two telephone interviews. Both were very thorough and lasted about 30 minutes each. The position duties and responsibilities were clearly detailed at the outset and the next step in the process was also explained. The second interviewer was also careful to detail the next step in the process.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were expected and weren't difficult. I'm changing career fields so I expected the spectrum of questions.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Politico (Arlington, VA) in January 2009.

Interview

Straight forward phone interview followed with an in office interview consisting of the usual questions for about a half an hour. I ultimately turned down the position prior to hearing back from them.