PopCap Games

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at PopCap Games.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews, one with recruiter, another with hiring manager, followed by an all day loop with eight people. Questions were all very straightforward and relevant to the role and my experience. A HUGE part of their interview evaluation is based on culture fit. If you seem uptight or stand-offish, it will count against you. Be casual and expressive.

Interview Question – Nothing particularly tricky, PopCap doesn't do sneaky interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Always counter any offer PopCap gives you, they always come in low and have room to wiggle or give a signing bonus.

Producer Interview

Producer
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PopCap Games.

Interview Details – Usually there are 4-5 interviews. They take forever to get back to you generally. Interviews are generally done in pairs and everyone is very friendly and fun.

Negotiation Details – Emails back and forth mostly.

Community Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at PopCap Games.

Interview Details – The initial recruiting process was a bit frustrating, in one instance I had a scheduled interview but was never called because the recruiter was "slammed" and forgot about it. You really have to stay on top of HR to make sure you don't get overlooked. Once you're in the system, it's a bit smoother. I had two phone interviews and then was invited for a panel interview. The office is fun-loving and everyone I met was outgoing, friendly and kind.

Interview Question – I was asked to choose between depriving the world of cake or bacon. It was a fun, unexpected twist.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PopCap Games in November 2011.

Interview Details – The communication with the recruiter and HR was disjointed -- I couldn't get hold of the recruiter at times. They apologized later, it was caused by reorg related to the acquisition by EA. When I came for the interview, the recruiter wasn't even in the office. Other HR people took charge to get things on track. The technical parts of the interview involved a refactoring exercise with a sample of very ugly code that had been previously removed from production. Then a paired-programming exercise that was genuinely fun to work through. One of the more pleasant developer interview processes that I have ever been through.

Interview Question – In the refactoring exercise, the interviewer was looking to see if I knew my design patterns and could describe a good strategy for safely refactoring the bad code.   Answer Question

Producer Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at PopCap Games.

Interview Details – getting a straight answer out of recruiting was probably the worst part of the whole thing. Long silences, un-returned e-mails. They made it glaringly obvious that I had to really WANT to work at PopCap to get in - I spent a lot of time pestering people. I've seen others go through the same frustrating process in their experience with PopCap. It's hard to recommend it to colleagues, you know they're signing up for an exercise in frustration.

Interview process was to-be-expected for a game company with a lot of teams. Multiple phased interview, obvious knowledge and team fit were important.

Interview Question – Do you like kids?   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Seattle, WA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at PopCap Games in April 2011.

Interview Details – Very orientated on Magento Ecommerce, looking to migrate from their current platform while keeping their
existing database as a backup. They are extremely certain that you fit in their "culture" and are prone to not
hiring people if you do not fit into their 20-30 something age frame. Use OOP and new technologies.

Interview Question – Why would you recommend moving to Magento?   View Answer

Test Associate II Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at PopCap Games in November 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview request after resume review.
2 weeks later, on-site interview with 2 people.
Lots of cultural fit and technical fit questions.
Since my position was also going to be doing tools and automation development, I answered a few programming questions.

Interview Question – Fancy algorithm and string questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate. Was my first non-contract position in the industry.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for PopCap Games? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PopCap Games interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by PopCap Games employees and interview candidates.