Port Authority of New York and New Jersey

Updated Oct 13, 2014
Updated Oct 13, 2014

2.9

Intern Interview

A phone interview with the director of the department was what landed me the internship. They explained the type of work I would be doing. I had help through networks that landed me this position. My graduate program helped connect me to this position.

Associate Mechanical Engineer (HVAC and Construction) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

I applied on-line via a third party website. I recieved a phone call approximately a month later inviting me to an initial interview. The first interview was in Manhattan, NY and lasted about 30 - 45 minutes and was only with a HR representative. I recieved a phone call about a week later inviting me to two seperate interviews for two seperate postions. This part of the process was confusing because it was the same company and same position but in two different divisions of the port authority. I was able to schedule both interviews on the same day, one being in Newark and the other in Jersey City.

Interview Questions
    • HVAC Interview (Newark, NJ):
      - What are the three forms of heat transfer?
      The asnwer was Conduction, Convection and Radiation, but I panicked and could not think of the answers (I did not get a call from this job.

Construction Management (Jersey City, NJ):
      This interview came second so I was signifcantly more prepared and did not find any hard questions, I also found out in the middle of the interview I discovered a mutual contact with one of the managers so the interview was very easy and I ended up recieving and offer.
        Answer Question

I recieved a significantly higher salary from another company Approx. 10K more.

Audit Interview

Got interview in one month after I applied for this position. A manager and a staff sat in front of me, asking me questions in turn, sometimes adding questions to each other's. Not hard, it's like a communication. People are very nice and friendly as well.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

The initial communication was between an HR representative who went on to refer me to my department. I was then contacted by the head of the department. First there was a phone interview then a month or two later when I came back from school for break we had a face-to-face.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult normal interview questions. Asked a lot about past experiences and what they did for me.   Answer Question
    no negotiation set rates and offers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

interviewed at Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in July 2014.

For the intern position the question are fair, nothing out of the ordinary. They are really nice people. You interview with two people at one time and they both ask you question of a sheet.

Interview Questions
    There was no reason to negotiate the pay pretty well.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Simple interview where you go in and talk to the people that work in that division. Basically who you would be working for if you were hired. All the divisions are very different but simple one in person interview is that basic jist of it. I had two people that I interviewed with.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in June 2014.

To apply on university career center's website and received the interview after almost three weeks. Two to one interview. The interview was not very long, around 25 minutes. More like a conversation without questionnaire.

Interview Questions
    • The manager introduced the work and asked which part do you interested in. Should be listened carefully.
      Gave a case to solve.
        View Answer

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Was contacted in late February for an interview. Interview was not difficult, mostly questions about previous work experience. Filling out the paperwork took longer than the interview itself. Only one interview stage instead of the two they said there would be. Was not contacted at all after the interview, even after following up.

Interview Questions
    • What are some of the skills you learned in your previous work experience?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trenton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trenton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in March 2014.

The application process is highly structured with an early January submission date. I received automated emails about the receipt of my application and then a couple confusing emails requesting an interview. It did not seem departments were communicating properly. The interview was pretty ordinary, not too uncomfortable or exciting. Everyone I met was very nice, but overall people seemed stressed and not very enthused about the work.

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

I was hired out of college. The interview process is unnecessarily drawn out and it is a joke.

Interview Questions
    • Just know the fundamental basics of your engineering discipline and you'll be fine.   Answer Question
    No negotiation allowed.