Port of Seattle Interview Questions

Updated May 14, 2015

3.2

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Port of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by two members of the team I would be working with and the head of human resources. The questions they asked me were fairly straightforward like what I was hoping to learn in the position and what I wanted to be doing five years down the road.

Interview Questions

• How would I compensate for my lack of technical skills?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Port of Seattle in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by HR and set up a time and date for my on-site interview the following week. My interview board consisted of 5 members asking 12 questions. The panel was very interested in my resume and experience, and gave me insightful answers to my questions. They were very open and honest with me about the entire process and I was very pleased with the flow of the interview.

Interview Questions

• If selected for this position, what would be your action plan within the 1st 6 months in the role?   1 Answer

Port of Seattle Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Port of Seattle (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The Port of Seattle did not do a phone screen or phone interview. I was contacted by someone in HR about a month after I'd applied for an open position and she scheduled a phone interview with me for a date 3 weeks out. The interview was very straightforward and consisted of 45 minutes of what were basically STAR-type questions, 7 in all, with one being just a yes or no question. They related the questions more to the job posting and duties than most STAR interviews so it is important to be able to tie your experience to the job you would be doing. It was a panel interview with the hiring manager, HR, and two people from other groups. They recorded my answers for each question and did not really ask follow-up questions. After that, I had to do a 30 minute "test" which was done on a laptop in another room. I was contacted by HR a little less than 2 weeks after my interview with a job offer, which I ultimately did not accept. Of all the Seattle-area employers I've been speaking with, the Port of Seattle was by far the most professional and had the fastest turnaround, which really impressed me. The workspace is beautiful, everyone seemed engaged in their work and very friendly and sincere, and if the job had been a better fit it would have been fantastic.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to explain my experience in the field related directly to the job description. This could have been difficult for someone changing from another industry but with relevant experience.   Answer Question

The job wasn't quite the right fit for what I want to do in the future.

Safety Management Systems Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in SeaTac, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Port of Seattle (SeaTac, WA) in October 2012.

Interview

Very quick hiring process, I was interviewed by a panel and they had a list of questions they had to get through. I heard back early next week and was scheduled for a telephone interview, then offered the following Monday.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult personality you've had to deal with and how did you over come it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered $28 hr which was very reasonable, they said they were comfortable offering me more since I had so much experience in safety already.

Airport Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Port of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in August 2011.

Interview

I I received a call on Friday for a Monday interview. It was a panel interview with 3 managers and 1 HR rep. It lasted 1.5 hours. It consisted of 8 questions. 3 were the warm up questions, such as “tell me about your work history”. The remaining 5 were in regards to policy and procedures. “Tell me about a time when you affected a policy, created a policy, changed a policy”. It was a bit odd to answer questions on policy as opposed to tell me about a time you when you worked with a difficult customer type questions. I received a call 2 weeks later to tell me they went in another direction, but would like for me to keep an eye on the port web site for future openings. They were very professional and were able to answer my questions regarding the job and the Port.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to object to a policy that did not effect you or your work group, but you spoke up anyway.   1 Answer

Concessions Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Port of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in July 2011.

Interview

for this position I had two interviews approximately two weeks apart, both in front of a panel of four people. the interview was not very stressful the key is to know the job description of the position.

Interview Questions

• straight forward about the position. then I was asked to read part of their policy then was asked a few questions regarding the policy.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Port of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in September 2009.

Interview

Initiial phone interview was more focused on experience, for the in-person interview I didn't have enough context to fully answer their questions. Interviewers were polite and courteous.

Interview Questions

• What is the first thing you do when you start a project?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Port of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in March 2009.

Interview

I had two interviews for this job. The process was very smooth, the people were nice and the questions asked were very relevant to the work. I was impressed by the inside of the building, the art work, the fountains, and the friendly faces. Overall a great interview experience.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall but there weren't any unexpected or unrelated questions asked that I remember.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't much room for negotiation.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Port of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in May 2008.

Interview

The interview was standard. It was a panel interview, lasted about an hour, and consisted of maybe 10 questions. It was a structured interview with behavior-based questions. They wanted me to provide examples of past behavior and experience to demonstrate certain skills.

Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Port of Seattle.

Interview

Discussed internship learning objectives, examples of group work experience, etc. Some time for me to ask questions.