Portland General Electric

Updated May 29, 2014

3.3

Electrical Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Portland General Electric in March 2014.

Applied over the internet, had a brief phone screen with HR to set up an in person interview. In person interview was fairly typical with most questions geared toward judging my technical capabilities and compatibility with the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you needed to resolve an issue while working in a group.   Answer Question

Key Customer Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Portland General Electric in May 2010.

The organization has a strong culture of respect and tries hard to live out its values. This shows in the interviews. The computer system does the initial screening. If you have the right education and experience "required", you may get to the interview stage. Do your best to know people in the company, research their website, and try to get introduced or recommended. Like in many organizations, it helps to know the right people whose word counts.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think are the greatest challenges facing today's utilities.   View Answer
    Negotiate upfront and research the organization ahead of time. Do informational interviews as much as possible.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tualatin, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tualatin, OR

I applied online - interviewed at Portland General Electric in February 2014.

PGE did a tandem interview process. I found it interesting, but unnerving at the same time. I honestly do not know if it effected the outcome of the decision to not hire me.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tualatin, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tualatin, OR

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Portland General Electric in August 2013.

PGE brought 4 groups of 5-20 people in for a temporary CSR position; we all were brought into an interviewing room for computer testing. We did typing tests, tested our computer knowledge, and then put on headphones and listened to examples of customer calls and chose responses on the computer about the best way to respond to the customer's question or problem. It wasn't stressful, but the interview did take about 2 hours. I heard the recruiter tell another interviewer that her ability to speak Spanish was a bonus. Seems like a fun, somewhat corporate work environment. I have known a few people that work there and they all said it was a great company to work for.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were fairly common sense if you have customer service experience - you want to calm the customer down, de-escalate the problem and make them have a good day. There weren't any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Distribution Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Portland General Electric.

The interview took place about three working days after the email telling me they were interested in meeting me. The two people who interviewed me were very friendly and made me feel comfortable. The interview questions were easy- How do you deal with complicated problems? What kind of work do you like and dislike? Where do you see myself in 5 or 10 years? Why PGE? A fair quiz on three phase power at end.

Interview Questions
    • What did you do when someone critiqued your design and how did you react to it?   Answer Question

IT Service Desk Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Portland General Electric in June 2011.

Phone interview included questions about experience and a mock customer support call. In person interview included more of this plus detailed description of job and current/upcoming IT projects of relevance. Was given a tour at end of in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any unexpected questions and none of the questions seemed particularly difficult.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation to be done, very straight-forward contract position.

Voice Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Portland General Electric in October 2009.

Blasted out to recruiters, only two candidates. 6 month contract which suited my requirements to a tee. However during the interview and post-interview offer process the scope and the duration of the contract increased without any increased offer in hourly rate. This and other items which surfaced during the interview were red flags as to viability of management.

Interview Questions

Creeping scope of contract without solid definition of deliverables and no increased offer in hourly rate.

Worked for Portland General Electric? Contribute to the Community!