Portland State University Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2015

2.5

Adjunct Business Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

I reached out to the Accounting Department at the School of Business Administration. I was relocating to the Portland metro area and wanted to keep teaching accounting in post-secondary education. The department chair told me she might have a course I could teach and to come by her office to meet. She emailed me the adjunct faculty application and put me in the "bullpen". She emailed me in April with a course that she needed to cover. I'll be teaching at Portland State this fall.

Interview Questions

• How did I get into teaching.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Portland State University.

Interview

Excellent

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR).

Interview

Speedy response time on my online application- I was contacted within two weeks of submission for an interview. The department manager was my contact through the interview process and she made everything extremely easy- scheduling interview times, providing directions to campus as well as keeping me up to date throughout the process. I went through 2 face to face interviews and was selected as the final candidate. The salary offer was lower than I expected, however my soon to be manager called me and candidly addressed my concern about the salary range. They were very transparent about the budget for the position. The only downside to the process was the turnaround time on the background checks which took about two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Questions were pretty standard for an admin position and included describing my transferable skills, handling disgruntled clients, multi tasking, communication skills and the ability to work autonomously.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I found the salary to be low however, they were very transparent about the budget for the position. I was offered the top salary based on my experience. The dept manager quickly addressed my concerns.

AV Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in September 2013.

Interview

Mandatory to send resume and cover letter through PSU career connect. I was emailed by the manager to schedule an interview. At the interview, you sit down with 2-3 managers and they go through a set of questions. Be prepared to demonstrate technical skills. Youll have to set up some equipment. I was emailed a few days later that I got the job.

Interview Questions

• You need to know three of your own weaknesses. And the technical skill demonstration.   Answer Question

Revenue Agent I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Portland State University in February 2013.

Interview

Hiring process was simple, you will see opportunities on the HR website and apply from there. Going forward, make sure all required documents are in order and if your qualifications are above par, you will be selected for a panel interview with the supervisor and two others.

Interview Questions

• All questions are behavioral, so prepare yourself to answer questions using the STAR technique (situation or ask, action and result).   Answer Question

Office Coordinator II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR).

Interview

The hiring process was drawn out. I received a call about 6 weeks after submitting my materials. A quick screening interview took place on the phone. Two weeks later, I sat before the interviewing committee (4 people from the office and 1 union representative) for about an hour. About 3 weeks after that I was contacted with a job offer. The interview itself was fine, but there is a lot of bureaucracy to deal with in getting hired.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary came up. Typical questions concerning relative experience and working in a diverse office environment. "What is your greatest weakness?" etc...   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Pay scale is set in advance for staff positions.

Conversation Partner and Activities Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in September 2012.

Interview

Panel interview by direct supervisor, student adviser, and current employee. Standard interview questions. Pretty informal; I was in business casual, they in jeans and t-shirts. Was pretty quick-I think only 20 minutes or so. You don't need to have a linguistic background; they're actually looking for people from a variety of backgrounds to ensure variety of perspectives.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with international communities?   Answer Question

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in May 2011.

Interview

Good process and felt comfortable with everyone. It took a very long time to get on the campus from the time they called me to tell me they were interested in me to getting on campus for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why would I choose to work at PSU?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Portland State University in April 2011.

Interview

Experiences interviewing with the department I worked in was excellent, great interviewers, management and follow up, the only problems I ever encountered was with the official "HR" department of the university who was so out of touch with what went on at the university and in the departments as to be laughable.

Parking Enforcement Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in November 2010.

Interview

most questions were behavioral and couple of them were related to my past experience in same field.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience in cash handling and reconciling?   1 Answer