Ports America

Updated Jul 15, 2014
Updated Jul 15, 2014

2.8

Superintendent Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Ports America.

Sat down with a panel of 4-6 Managers at various terminals that belong to Ports America. It was not a hostile environment or anything. Everyone made me feel comfortable while I was in the room. Most questions were related to reactions to Union employees and how I would handle this and the decisions I would make in certain safety related scenarios.

Interview Questions
    • I don't believe there was any. Just be sure to know proper management related skills and questions regarding managerial positions over Union Labor.   Answer Question

not really a process in Jacksonville, I was just hired

Interview Questions
    take what they offer or no job

Developing Leaders Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ports America in March 2014.

I got this interview through my college board. Started with an HR person giving me a call exploring interest, followed by a formal interview, followed by a personality and skills test. This was eventually followed by a group panel interview and port tour in Long Beach, CA.

The initial interviews were standard behavioral questions and talking about results from past experiences. All discussions about the position led you to believe that it was an operational role, and made no mention of the unsavory longshoremen that you would be dealing with on a daily basis.

The onsite interview was then basically a one hour interview by six people who barraged you with different iterations of the same question: "Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult person on a team." This was fine, but you didn't really understand up until that point what the true nature of the job was. If they had asked me these kind of questions from the start they could have identified me as unsuitable before actually inviting me in.

My biggest complaints were the following:

1) Interview process was drawn out across 3+ months, leaving you waiting and waiting.
    2) I was never informed that I didn't get the job, despite everyone assuring me I would hear either way
    3) The travel arrangements they made for us were absurd, requiring us to basically wake up at 1am and fly across the country for a 3pm interview. They never offered to reimburse for food or airport parking either, which left me out $40-50.
    4) We were left sitting outside waiting for other candidates to finish interviewing for more than an hour.
    5) Unprofessional office environment, curse words being thrown all over the place.

That said, it is probably a very interesting program. Nobody who was working for the company seemed unhappy and they were all mostly enthusiastic about what they do.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with adhering to safety standards and getting other people to cooperate as well.   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Unprofessional and easy.

Business Analyst Interview

Good process and interview pattern. Only interviews by one person Director of Finance.

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ports America in November 2012.

I interviewed with 8 people in the 4.5 hours I was there. The people were bright, but non-managers seemed inexperienced in interviewing asking simple "tell me about yourself"-type questions. I was told a skills test would have been required for the second round.

Interview Questions
    • Do you mind long hours because last year there were more 3am departures than 7pm?   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ports America in August 2012.

I was contacted through a job placement recruiter about the position. A phone interview was given then an on-site interview with the potential manager, a database person and the department managers. The interview was technical in nature and took about one hour. It was a very relaxed interview that lasted about one hour. I was interviewed by four different people from the department I was going to work for.

Interview Questions
    • I do not remember any specific question that was difficult or unexpected.   View Answer
    Going into the job interview process I already knew what the salary was going to be.

Marine Superintendent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ports America in May 2012.

corporate contact and initial phone screening with a personality assessment test (online). Then if selected to continue, there is a formal on site interview. The first part was with the Terminal Manager, the second was a group interview with three operations managers all asking you questions.

Superintendent Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ports America in April 2012.

I applied on line and received a call within a week for a possible interview. I had a brief phone interview and then the in person interview took place the following week. The interview was informal, I met with the terminal manager and marine manager. Overall, everyone was very polite, and honest. I was glad to heard how the job really was and that putting long hours was expected. In the interview, I never felt that I was really being sol he job, i was more like, a fact finding experience.

Senior IT Manager Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ports America in December 2010.

friendly & welcoming ..

no negotiation .. everything was final ..