Ports America

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Developing Leaders Program Interview

Long Beach, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Ports America in March 2014.

Interview Details – I got this interview through my college board. Started with an HR person giving me a call exploring interest, followed by a formal interview, followed by a personality and skills test. This was eventually followed by a group panel interview and port tour in Long Beach, CA.

The initial interviews were standard behavioral questions and talking about results from past experiences. All discussions about the position led you to believe that it was an operational role, and made no mention of the unsavory longshoremen that you would be dealing with on a daily basis.

The onsite interview was then basically a one hour interview by six people who barraged you with different iterations of the same question: "Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult person on a team." This was fine, but you didn't really understand up until that point what the true nature of the job was. If they had asked me these kind of questions from the start they could have identified me as unsuitable before actually inviting me in.

My biggest complaints were the following:

1) Interview process was drawn out across 3+ months, leaving you waiting and waiting.
2) I was never informed that I didn't get the job, despite everyone assuring me I would hear either way
3) The travel arrangements they made for us were absurd, requiring us to basically wake up at 1am and fly across the country for a 3pm interview. They never offered to reimburse for food or airport parking either, which left me out $40-50.
4) We were left sitting outside waiting for other candidates to finish interviewing for more than an hour.
5) Unprofessional office environment, curse words being thrown all over the place.

That said, it is probably a very interesting program. Nobody who was working for the company seemed unhappy and they were all mostly enthusiastic about what they do.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to deal with adhering to safety standards and getting other people to cooperate as well.   Answer Question

Superintendent Interview

Interview Details – not really a process in Jacksonville, I was just hired

Interview Question – can't remember anything that was asked   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – take what they offer or no job

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Chandler, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ports America in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted through a job placement recruiter about the position. A phone interview was given then an on-site interview with the potential manager, a database person and the department managers. The interview was technical in nature and took about one hour. It was a very relaxed interview that lasted about one hour. I was interviewed by four different people from the department I was going to work for.

Interview Question – I do not remember any specific question that was difficult or unexpected.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Going into the job interview process I already knew what the salary was going to be.

Very Easy Interview

Finance Interview

Chandler, AZ

Interviewed at Ports America

Interview Details – Unprofessional and easy.

Business Analyst Interview

Interviewed at Ports America

Interview Details – Good process and interview pattern. Only interviews by one person Director of Finance.

Finance Manager Interview

Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ports America in November 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed with 8 people in the 4.5 hours I was there. The people were bright, but non-managers seemed inexperienced in interviewing asking simple "tell me about yourself"-type questions. I was told a skills test would have been required for the second round.

Interview Question – Do you mind long hours because last year there were more 3am departures than 7pm?   Answer Question

Marine Superintendent Interview

Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Ports America in May 2012.

Interview Details – corporate contact and initial phone screening with a personality assessment test (online). Then if selected to continue, there is a formal on site interview. The first part was with the Terminal Manager, the second was a group interview with three operations managers all asking you questions.

Superintendent Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ports America in April 2012.

Interview Details – I applied on line and received a call within a week for a possible interview. I had a brief phone interview and then the in person interview took place the following week. The interview was informal, I met with the terminal manager and marine manager. Overall, everyone was very polite, and honest. I was glad to heard how the job really was and that putting long hours was expected. In the interview, I never felt that I was really being sol he job, i was more like, a fact finding experience.

Interview Questions

Senior IT Manager Interview

Senior IT Manager

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ports America in December 2010.

Interview Details – friendly & welcoming ..

Negotiation Details – no negotiation .. everything was final ..

Project Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Ports America in July 2009.

Interview Details – Got an immediate call after I sent in my resume. Phone personnel interview, personality test, 1:1 interview.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in working for Ports America?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Ports America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ports America interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Ports America employees and interview candidates.