Posse Foundation

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

2.9

Program Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Posse Foundation.

The interview is exactly as others have described. It's a bit disappointing that they do no initial screening and then expect people to come in with less than 48 hours notice (no alternate dates were provided). Definitely a start up culture - they are looking for passionate people who will go above and beyond for little compensation.

Career Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Posse Foundation in February 2015.

The interview went precisely as described in other posts. If not for glass door, I would have been far less prepared. I would suggest thinking outside of the box. The name of the game seemed to be more about making an impression than following the rules/questions. There were about 25 highly skilled professionals all vying for one job. I highly suggest contributing to the large group discussions. This seemed to be ore important than the small group 1 minute rapid Fire qurstions. If an organization is going to bring in such a large group of qualified candidates they are not there to really evaluate each one, but rather see which 3 or 4 rise to the top.

Interview Questions
    • Are you more likely to strategize or go in for the kill? Why?   View Answer
    • What is a skill you possess that is often overlooked?   View Answer
    • How would your coworkers describe you? Would your boss say similarly or differently?   Answer Question

Assistant to the Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Posse Foundation.

During my application process I was in constant communication with the Director at the Posse location I specifically applied to. There was alway prompt replies and professionalism. The first interview was a group interview in the Posse Foundation office that put me face-to-face with other competing candidates. We initially sat in a large circle and introduced ourselves and then watched a brief video about the Posse Foundation and its mission. We were then told to break up and form small groups of 3 or 4 where we were given one minute to answer various questions regarding our work style, pet peeves, college experience, etc. Once our one minute was up the next person in the group answered. As we answered a member of the Posse Foundation sat in to listen and take notes. There were no replies or follow up questions to our one minute answers. After each question a new Posse Foundation member rotated to another group. We were told to act as if the Posse member was invisible and to be ourselves. My understanding is that they weren't totally focused on our specific answers but the way in which we answered and displayed good communication skills and leadership qualities. Once the small group portion was complete we returned to the large circle and were given an opportunity to ask any questions we had about the Posse Foundation or the specific role. We were then told we would be e-mailed if we made it to the second round of interviews.

I was very happy to have made it to the second round. My second interview was scheduled two days after the first interview. It was a more traditional interview with one-on-one time with the Director. The interview questions were pretty standard. I was asked to talk about my previous experience, why I wanted to work for the Posse Foundation, how did I hear about Posse, skills I could offer, etc. It was a good interview that not only allowed the Director to get to know me but allowed me to get a better sense of the office culture and the person I would be working under.

Office description: Lively office painted yellow with plenty of natural sunlight. There are many college flags from their partner universities and photos of their Posse scholars. It's a small office environment with less than 10 employees, but really seems like a fun close-knit environment of likeminded individuals I see myself working with.

Posse Trainer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Posse Foundation.

The first round interview is a large group interview with about 30 people. They base their first round interview process off of the DAP (Dynamic Assessment Process) which actual Posse Scholars go through. We split up into six groups of five and answered questions posed to us in a given time frame while current Posse employees observed and took note of our responses.

Interview Questions
    • Many questions were asked. Several regarding pet peeves, describing the neighborhood your grew up in. Posse is such a dynamic organization that is doing nationally recognized work with youth. I made it to a second round interview. Just be yourself when answering and if you're a fit for the position/organization; wonderful!   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Posse Foundation in August 2014.

The group interview consisted of about 25 people. First we went around the room and introduced ourselves, then watched a short video about the organization, and finally split up into groups to answer question prompts.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your Undergrad Experience, Describe a time you worked hard at something and it payed off, Talk about a social issue that matters to you, What is one good quality of yours that is often overlooked?   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Posse Foundation in July 2014.

It was a group interview with about 25-30 interviewees and the office staff of 6 people.Then they divide you up in small groups of interviewees where you are supposed to answer questions that have nothing to do with the job. At no point do they ask you about your qualifications or how your past experience has prepared you for the job. After the interview, they ask you to stay afterwards and 'meet and chat'.. And this is how bad that interview went..NO ONE got hired and they had to redo the whole interviewing process!!YEP. I think it's time Posse redesigned this terrible interviewing process. Also, if you are a group representing the urban communities..how come your whole staff is white and obviously has never dealt with at-risk communities. What a shame what posse has come to be. I still think they have an amazing mission and the Posse scholars are truly incredible but there's a lot of work to be done.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty easy and ridiculous. "Talk about what respect means to you".   Answer Question

Posse Trainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Posse Foundation in July 2014.

I interviewed at the Los Angeles location for the posse trainer position. The first round was a group interview consisting of 25 applicants. We first sat in a circle and introduced ourselves to the group by staying our name and one thing we are proud of. From there we watched a short informational video about the posse foundation.

We broke up into groups of four to five people to attend to different questions that assessed our work style and interpersonal skills. I lucked out in getting a group of folks who weren't overly self boastful so conversation flowed easily. The employees sat around groups to listen in on conversation an take notes. This part of the interview lasted for about an hour or so.

Afterwards we came back to the larger group and were able to ask questions of the employees.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you dropped the ball at work. How did you fix the situation   Answer Question

Career Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Posse Foundation in July 2014.

This is for the Chicago office. They had 31 people come in for a two hour block one afternoon. We arrived, signed in with name tags, and we were all escorted into a conference room. We watched a 5 minute video about the foundation and then had to go around the room, introduce ourselves, say where we went to school and then use one word to describe your undergrad experience. We then split up in groups of 5. The staff posed 8 questions and we went around in a circle and had 1 minute to answer the question. Posse Staff floated around the room taking notes but not interacting. I did notice that when the last group member was speaking staff only listened to hear their answer and then moved on. They did not stay long enough to hear the candidate's explanation for their answer.

After everyone answered all 8 questions we got back together as a big group and did a large Q&A session. Staff took about 5 questions and then ended the session and we were escorted out.

At no point did I speak directly with a staff member. After two hours I felt, in no way, that the organization got to know me as a candidate. I tried to observe the process as much as I participated in it, and I have no idea how they pick candidates for a second round.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Describe the neighborhood you grew up in
      2. Describe your undergrad experience
      7. What are you most proud of
      8. An example of a strength/talent/skill often overlooked

Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Posse Foundation in June 2014.

Called in for group interview with about 15 other people. I do not think they were selective at this stage at all, like they invited anyone who applied. We watched a video, met the entire staff, and participated in group conversations as staff members listened in. It was very strictly timed but overall informal and easy.

I got called in for a 2nd round interview where I interviewed with trainers and then with the program director. I had to write a draft email as a response to a crisis for the program director that was a bit difficult as it required more thorough knowledge of a particular program. So I would recommend knowing specifics about all their programs.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the neighborhood you grew up in?
      Do you prefer being a leader or a team member?

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Posse Foundation in April 2014.

I was invited to a group interview at the downtown Chicago office. The office was bright and full of pictures of students from past and present Posses. We were asked to take our name tag and sit on some couches while we waited for everyone to arrive. More and more people filed in to the office and I realized that this was a large group interview. We were brought into a conference room where we watched a 15 minute video about the organization. Following the video, the director, current program coordinator, and other members of the team came in and said a few things about the organization and it's culture. We were then split up into groups of 3 to discuss a series of questions that they read off to us. We each had a minute to answer the question as the employees walked around and listened and took notes. At the conclusion of the questions, the director opened the floor to questions for anyone to answer. A few questions were asked and then she said we could stick around and talk to any of the employees, otherwise the interview was over. We were told we would hear from the director by phone by 5 pm that same day if we were going to be asked back for a second interview the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time you worked as a team and what you did to succeed together. -The question was so vague that I had a hard time talking about this question for an entire minute.   Answer Question