Pottery Barn

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.0

Merchandising Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Pottery Barn.

Was only provided the online job description. No tour of building or information about "day in the life". The position was left general so I wish I knew more about the category to better prepare for the interview.

Negotiate for as much as you can because the pay increase year over year is very dismal.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Pottery Barn in December 2014.

I saw an ad on Craigslist from Pottery Barn that said they were hiring, I went into the store the next day and filled out an application, they called me the next day to schedule an interview. The interview was very laid back, the manager only asked me a few questions, it felt like more of a conversation than an interview.

Interview Questions
    • The only 3 questions the manager asked were what is your definition of customer service and what do I have to add to it, and why pottery barn?   Answer Question
    Since the position is seasonal, they offer 9.25 to everyone (or so they say?)

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pottery Barn.

I was asked to describe why I wanted to work for Pottery Barn. I was also asked to describe the best job experience that I have had. I was also asked to describe the worst prior job experience. I was also asked to describe another retailer where I enjoy shopping.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe another retailer where I enjoy shopping.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed twice, once in a group setting on the sales floor. After that basic interview, we toured the store and stockroom. I got called again, to interview individually with the manager and after they contacted all of my professional references, I was hired. They want employees who are passionate about the brand and are quick movers! The questions were basic, why was I interested in working for PB? So I multitask well? Eyc

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle the stockroom if you are getting called for stock checks, receiving orders and have multiple special orders to call all at the same time?   Answer Question
    No negotiations, I was offered $10 an hour and I accepted!

Casual Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pottery Barn.

Interview was not bad. Interviews are done as a group with a series of questions. If you are the last one in a group of about 10 it can get really hard to answer as it likely has already been said. It is also not great discussing all your past experiences in a group of people. Some private questions are also asked in the group making it very uncomfortable. A lot of inappropriate questions are also asked. They ask if you have children, are married etc.

Interview Questions
    No negotiating done. Not really applicable to the job.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Pottery Barn.

Group Interview - 2 managers and 4 candidates sitting around a table. It was a bit awkward at first while everyone kind of found their place in the group dynamic but it worked out well for those of us who were not afraid to speak up.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you turned a situation around from a bad one to a good one   Answer Question
    They offered an hourly rate and I asked for more and they agreed.

Visual Merchandising Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Pottery Barn.

I cannot begin to tell you how important it is to dress nice to an interview. I often see people walk in dressed in rags. First impressions are everything.. I got an application and a couple of days later the former GM interviewed me. She was amazing! Very detailed on what the position entailed and very personal. They ask you about yourself and your future plans. Make sure to practice and know what you want to say.

Interview Questions
    • She asked about creativity and my strengths. Also what I'm bad at. Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question
    I got hired on the spot.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pottery Barn in November 2014.

The interview process started very quickly after my application was submitted and progressed through multiple rounds and managers. Unfortunately a decision was made to not fill the position. Very disappointing and wish that employers would not advertise jobs and put people through an interview process when they did not intend to hire.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were the normal questions one would expect to be asked. Anyone qualified for the position would have no trouble answering the questions asked.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Pottery Barn.

Walked into store to request an application, filled it out, and manager immediately scheduled interview for the following week. I was hired a week after the interview. The interview was easy and it felt like talking to a friend about why I loved the store and why I wanted to work there.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any specific questions that I can remember. It was more of a conversation where the manager and I were mutually assessing each other. She seemed friendly and nice. I'm a hard worker and always give 100% so I wasn't too worried about any questions.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation for the seasonal sales associate position since the store I applied at is a low volume store (I asked). However, different options were presented to me that will be available upon completing the 90 day period. The other positions have more room for negotiation.

Assistant Control Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pottery Barn.

I was internally referred for this position and only went through one in person interview. I do not think this is the norm for William-Sonoma company. I was offered a direct hire position less then a week later and started just over two weeks after my interview. Talking with coworkers being offered a direct hire position is also no the norm - it is common that they I will offer you the job but direct you to a temp. agency and offer you a contracted/temporary position. They then hire you as a direct employee after a few months if it is a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • What is your definition of customer service?   View Answer
    No negotiation needed