Pottery Barn Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

2.1

Stock Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pottery Barn.

Interview

Met with manager and stock room manager. Talked about my previous work experience, specifically my customer service experience. Toured the stock room and was offered the job. Didn't start for another week or so, but once I did I was working somewhat steady hours. As long as you are a friendly person with the ability to think for yourself and make smart decisions, the will probably like you and consider you for the position.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience dealing with the general public?   1 Answer

Associate Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Pottery Barn.

Interview

Interview with the General Manager and the District Manager. We met at the store, inside the managers office. I then met with the DM and regional together at another location.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiate your salary up front

Floater Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Pottery Barn.

Interview

Easy, I knew what I was going into when I went to the interview. Manager wanted to see if I was serious part timer or seasonal. Turned a seasonal employee into a 10 year part time employee. They also wanted to know how I felt about heavy lifting, selling, stocking, and measuring furniture - layouts.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you selling and assisting clients with their designs.   Answer Question

Store General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (Boston, MA).

Interview

Back in the day I interviewed twice, once with a DM and once with an RVP, it was very simple and quick. The questions asked by both were almost identical.

Interview Questions

• It is all behavioral based questions: give me a time when....   1 Answer

Negotiation

NA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pottery Barn in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted the next day by their store HR for an interview. Since she was HR, that first interview was super easy and conversational and more of a get-to-know-you type of interview. I was called back a couple days later to meet with the visual manager. Her questions were more focused and the last twenty minutes of my 45 minute interview with her was a sort of working interview where she showed me one of the rooms and asked what I'd change and why.

Interview Questions

• Why Pottery Barn?   1 Answer
    • What are your biggest strengths?   Answer Question
    • Tell me your background and explain how it can benefit you at Pottery Barn.   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (Durham, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

I met in-person with the General Manager of a Pottery Barn Kids store. The interview went well. It was a mixture of personable getting-to-know you and work history talk. I am waiting to hear back if I will be called in for a second, more formal interview. There were two open positions, and the manager wanted a pool of ten applicants to choose from. We got along great, but it has been a week, so I am getting nervous! I thought it went really well. My only drawback was not having supervisory experience yet, though I am confident I could handle it (and exceed in such a role). I was hoping to work there a year and then transfer into one of the grown-up stores like Pottery Barn or Rejuvenation. But, I am good with kids too, so I am looking forward to working there and getting my start in design and sales.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how I dealt with conflict.   1 Answer

Catalog Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview after one month of applying, in-person interview after another month, and another in-person interview after yet another month. I heard back after another month. So the process took four months (April to July). I didn't get the job but absolutely everyone I spoke to was extremely friendly and genuinely nice! It was an enjoyable experience.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pottery Barn.

Interview

Started with talking to the recruiter and then the District Manager. Once I talked to the DM I was forwarded to the RM and VP of Retail. It was a great process because it gave them a chance to get to know me and me get to understand the company.

Interview Questions

• Customer Service was on the top of the list, everyone talked about that. I could tell they really care about their customers and the experience they have when they enter a store.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pottery Barn (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview first to qualify, then in person interview for 1 hour. Next, follow up after discussion with Divisional Merchandiser. Very professional interview....very informative. Good follow up on time and as expected. Only drawback was i had to wait in-store for interview appointment. Interviewer was about 15 minutes late- but this is to be expected with an in-store retailer interview if they are with customers.

Interview Questions

• how to handle difficult customer, employee, etc. mostly typical interview questions- but interviewer was excellent at 'pulling out' next question based upon my answers.   Answer Question

Open Availability was not something i could provide at this time- otherwise i would have taken the job. looks like an excellent place to work.

Merchandising Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Pottery Barn.

Interview

Was only provided the online job description. No tour of building or information about "day in the life". The position was left general so I wish I knew more about the category to better prepare for the interview.

Negotiation

Negotiate for as much as you can because the pay increase year over year is very dismal.