Practical Law Company

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Editor Interview

Associate Editor

Interviewed at Practical Law Company

Interview Details – The interview process took around 2 & 1/2 months. It consisted of 1 round with 2 people, 2nd "round" was a writing test and the third round I met with 7 people. All were very nice, all asked a lot of questions on what I would do in the position, why I wanted it, why I wanted to leave my current position, what I would bring to the position, which websites I would search for recent developments etc... Etc... I thought they were all nice and that the interview went very well but in the end I didn't get an offer after a 2 & 1/2 month process :(

Interview Question – What websites or resources will you search for updates.   View Answer

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Practical Law Company.

Interview Details – Easy peasy interview. Recruiter from the company gave a quick phone screen then moved to a face-to-face interview with some of the sales managers of the company. In the final step of the interview they want you to learn about the service and give a presentation about it. Pretty straight forward.

Interview Question – Not applicable as there were no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Employee Interview

Employee
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Practical Law Company in March 2011.

Interview Details – Two interviews

Interview Question – Not many - why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Practical Law Company in March 2012.

Interview Details – I had 2 interviews with PLC for this position. I thought both had gone well, but I didn't get the job. Before the interview (I can't remember if it was before the first or between the first and second), I was given an example of an online submission to edit and submit as part of a skills test. The first time I met with two supervisors who explained the position to me and asked my opinion. I was very happy that I had done some research on their website prior to that interview, because I was definitely expected to have extensive knowledge of their product. Which was fine, but if I hadn't prepared I would have been sweating bullets. They were both very nice and laid back. They showed me around the office and it seemed like a very open and laid-back environment. As I understood, the management works on the floor with the staff. Both of them were wearing casual clothes (I was very jealous in my suit). We had an enjoyable conversation and it went well. It took them a long time to respond and invite me back for a second interview. The second time was a brief discussion with the same management and then a longer conversation with the HR girl, who explained the salary, benefits, and all the technical details of the job. Again, I thought it went well, and again it took a long time to hear back, but ultimately I learned that it had come down to a decision between myself and another individual and that person won. I would apply again in the future.

Interview Question – Not the exact wording, but they wanted to know what my perception is of their product and how I think it could benefit a legal profession as opposed to other research entities (i.e. WestLaw or Lexis). Also who would benefit most from their product.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Practical Law Company in October 2012.

Interview Details – Went on two interviews. First with the VP of sales, second with HR. Not the most extensive interview process, they said in the beginning their style is informal and that I should make sure to tell them anything I want to tell them, seemed disorganized.

Interview Question – They seemed a lot more interested in what other kind of offers i had than in asking me about my experience or what I thought of the company.   Answer Question

Production Assistant Interview

Production Assistant
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Practical Law Company in June 2012.

Interview Details – First half went over portfolio, was asked questions (e.g. what do you know about PLC?), asked questions.

2nd half had to convert old document to to new document using their present character and paragraph styles indesign, on a shitty pc laptop.

Interview Question – What do you know about PLC?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Marketing
New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Practical Law Company in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was referred to this open position by a current employee. The position was in the marketing department at this company. I applied online and it was about a week later that I was invited for an in-person interview with two managers. I did my homework and learned as much as I could about the company by reviewing their site and looking up the managers on LinkedIn. I was able to review their profile and past work experience. I did notice that neither of them had marketing experience. I kept that thought in the back of my mind. I went into the interview and they were rather pleasant. However, it was pretty obvious that neither knew how to interview a candidate properly. (Please see questions part). Also, there wasn't a clear sense of the responsibilities of the position. In fact, it wasn't even determined who would supervise this position (red flag #1). At one point, of the managers admitted blatantly that she had no marketing experience (red flag #2). I left the interview no knowing what to think. Surprisingly though the next day, I received an interview request to meet with the managers' boss, the VP and HR. For sure I thought this was a good sign. I met with the VP and he seemed like a great guy and boss. He was also very impressed with my work product. Next, I met with HR and was told about the benefits and salary. HR told me that I would hear back within a certain time frame. I never did and I had to follow up with HR. Then I finally received the notice from HR that I was not selected. There was a massive mistake in this form letter which indicates that there is no attention to detail. Even though I was kind of led to believe that I would get this position, I was not completely surprised that I did not get it. It was pretty obvious that I had more marketing experience than the managers who are lawyers (and I am not). Also, the position wasn't clearly defined and it has been posted for 2 months. What is taking so long to fill it? A lot of questions.

I did not find the reviews of this company until just recently and everything I suspected was confirmed. I wish I found them earlier!

Interview Questions

Project Management Interview

Project Management
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Practical Law Company in March 2011.

Interview Details – 1st was telephonic interview then 1:1 with the Project manager. 3rd round consisted of round with HR and the business users as well as a technical round. Final round was a video conference with UK team.
Good group of people and the interview process was not at all stressful.

Interview Question – agile methodology. a lot of question about past experience   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Worked for Practical Law Company? Contribute to the Community!