Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino

Relevance Date Difficulty

Table Games Dealer Interview

Table Games Dealer
Altoona, IA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino.

Interview Details – Was sent to talk to table games manage and training manager, they ask simple questions to judge your willingness to be nice to people, handle math, and handle stress. If you are calm and seem willing to do what they want with basic math skills it is easy.

Interview Question – Can you handle someone yelling at you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Set base wage with tips, no negotiation. You then had to take a drug screen, minor physical, get an IRGC liscense and pass 2 weeks of training.

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Altoona, IA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino.

Interview Details – One interview was completed in person. I waited three weeks before they called and offered me the job. They have to do background check for licensing before they can offer you a job which is why it takes so long.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate

Table Games Dealer Interview

Table Games Dealer
Altoona, IA

The process took a day - interviewed at Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino in January 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call from the Table Games Trainer shortly after--got a good vibe from him, seemed like a straight forward friendly person. Wore a suit, seemed unnecessary but would do it again. Entered, spoke with security and was escorted to the administrative level with a higher ranking woman who seemed nice, but I've never seen her since. Only heard her name around the business. Interviewed with trainer and TG manager 2 on 1. Both were very nice and straight forward about what the job entailed; nights, weekends, smoky casino, negative people, negative employees. By the end of it, I felt as if I was being sold on the job by the interviewers rather than selling myself to them. I was told that if I was selected, I would receive a call within a day to start training. I received a call not long after arriving home post-interview. Accepted the offer. $7.35+tips which averaged $8-12 additionally. Training is still a part of the hiring process. I trained in a class of 4 which overlapped another class of 2. Six of us total in there for a week, only my four the next week. Of these 6 a year later, 4 remain--probably actually better than the going rate of "new" employees. Very high turnover rate. Learned how to deal Blackjack; pay and take accordingly, game maintenance and security, communication with supervisors. Training is an audition for employment, this is stated to trainees and not a surprise. After passing various elements of training, you hit the floor as a dealer.

Interview Questions

• "What would you do/how would you respond to a fellow employee would was being excessively negative at work."   Answer Question
  • "What issues could other employees bring to work that might have an adverse effect on their behavior or work performance."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating the offer, the base pay is union-negotiated. Joining of union is optional (AFSCME).

Worked for Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino? Contribute to the Community!