Pratt & Whitney

Relevance Date Difficulty

Specialist, Financial Planning & Analysis Interview

Specialist, Financial Planning & Analysis
East Hartford, CT

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in December 2011.

Interview Details – Met Pratt at a conference and the first interview was a face to face with a Finance Manager and this is not hard. the intent is to get a feel of what your experience and background. E.g questions about your past or current job and what you do specifically. At second round of interviews, you meet 4 people from 4 areas of Finance in 4 hours. This is also to get a good idea of what you have done, expect some behavioral questions and be able to talk clearly about your experience. Giving specific examples is a plus. Certifications and Education is not as important as your experience.

Interview Question – Who is your role model and why did you choose them?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was tough. Ensure you mention your ideal salary from day 1 because the rest of the negotiation will be based on the initial amount you asked for.

Propulsion Systems Analysis Co-op Interview

Propulsion Systems Analysis Co-op
East Hartford, CT

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in November 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted by the manager and had a phone interview. Absolutely great experience. The manager knows what sort of candidate he's looking for and who'll fit the profile for the position. Didn't feel like an interview at all; more like casual conversation. Just be yourself (cliche) and apply for a position that interests you.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in the position, what are your academic interests, Tell me about a time when you failed to solve a technical problem and how did you deal with it..... behavioral. Just be calm and take your time to answer.   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Test Engineer
Hartford, CT

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney.

Interview Details – I was recruited through a college career fair held on campus. This landed me the opportunity to take a co-op position at the company the summer before I graduated with a B.S.. During my senior year I was contacted over the winter and asked to come in for an interview. The interview was with both commercial and military programs. The interviewer on the military side was a woman who asked me what I did for hobbies, why I was interested in working for the company and how I felt about working on a military program. The interviewer on the commercial side was a man who asked me about my knowledge of the jet engine, how my experience was on co-op and what my 5 year plan was.

Interview Question – At the time coming fresh out of college I was happy to have landed the opportunity to continue working with the company that I spent my co-op with. I was so happy I was actually nervous and didn't feel settled during the interview. When asked what my hobbies where I felt rigid and that was felt during the interview. I had a hard time relating to the interviewers while I addressed the questions. I would urge a sense of calmness along with confidence during an interview process in addition to the knowledge that you are there because it is a fit not because you need a job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was thrilled to have landed the job right out of college and immediately accepted. I was offered an increase in my salary by luck of the draw. My advice to others would be to strategically plan out all of your steps for accepting the job including salary, benefits, perks, etc. and not to leave these things to the last minute. It is a tough job market out there and landing a job is a gift so take it and look forward.

Six Sigma/Process Improvement Interview

Six Sigma/Process Improvement
Hartford, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by Pratt & Whitney prior to attending the NBMBAA Conference in Houston, TX to set up 2 interviews with different organizations within the company. I interviewed on Thursday 9/12/13 and was given an letter inviting me to the NBMBAA Candidate interview Day on 9/27/13 in Hartford, CT. I was told to RSVP by 9/20 and they would forward me travel arrangements. I RSVP'd on 9/16 and did not receive any response. I finally received an email on 9/20 stating that they did not have any openings that match my experience. I replied to the email and the HR rep confirmed that I had been uninvited. This was the most unprofessional situation that I have encountered in my job search.

Interview Question – The most difficult thing about the interview was walking away from it thinking that I was going to go to the home office for further interviews - then being uninvited the following week.   Answer Question

Senior Aerothermal Engineer Interview

Senior Aerothermal Engineer
East Hartford, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in October 2011.

Interview Details – A full day of one-on-one interviews was scheduled for me followed by a presentation to a group of senior managers and my team members. I was taken out for lunch with peers.

The interview process is very formal and highly technical. Do not expect to pass through just because you've stated something on your resume. I was asked to describe how I built a model and steps to design a kalman filter. Specific questions were asked on combustion instabilities, causes and remedies.

The management is highly competent. Unlike other companies, here, the higher management is technically superior and very professional.

Dress formally and be extremely professional.

Interview Question – Describe the steps to design a Kalman Filter   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was low and non-negotiable, but I negotiated a signing bonus

Design Engineering Intern Interview

Design Engineering Intern
East Hartford, CT

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied before going to a conference where Pratt would be having interviews. Two days before I left to the conference I received a call to schedule the interview. I interviewed with a gentleman who would later on be my manager. The interview was partially behavioral and partially technical to see what you know. After the interview it took several weeks to receive a response. I eventually called one of the HR reps and they said it look like I "fell through the cracks" and then they fixed the issue and sent me my offer.

Interview Question – I was asked a trick question about writing the equation for Energy. But even though I only got it partially right the manager was impressed.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was an internship, no negotiation was required.

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
East Hartford, CT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, about a month later I got an email asking for a phone interview. The phone interview was really just personality related.

Interview Question – If you have interviewed before you will be fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really was no negotiation with the internship. you get what you get, and frankly it is pretty good pay for an intern. Your a poor college student just trying to get experience be happy with what you get, you are really worth nothing!

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
East Hartford, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in November 2012.

Interview Details – I saw them at a career fair and talked to a general UTC person who told me PW would be the best fit. She was very nice and helpful. Two weeks later I was contacted via email by the person who would be my supervisor if I was hired. She asked about interviewing me over the phone and we planned on a time. The phone interview was about 45 minutes long and the questions were the typical behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Describe a time you did not have enough information and had to make a decision.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate the offer, I was content with what they were already giving me.

Aerospace Engineer Interview

Aerospace Engineer
East Hartford, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in August 2010.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview. Once that was okay'ed. They scheduled a on-site full day interview with me. A majority of that time were interviews with people I'll be working with but there were some unnecessary interviews with my bosses 's boss and my bosses's boss's boss. Overall it was a good experience. The interviews had some technical parts. They weren't insanely hard but they definitely wanted to see if you knew the basics.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for a jet engine company?   View Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
East Hartford, CT

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in January 2008.

Interview Details – Personality Based Interview Questions: "Time me about a time when...." Essentially, if they are talking to you, it mean you can do the job - they just want to know how well, and supposedly these questions tell them.

Interview Question – If you're supervisor was acting unethically, what would you do.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation....? Seriously....?

Worked for Pratt & Whitney? Contribute to the Community!