Pratt & Whitney

Relevance Date Difficulty

Specialist, Financial Planning & Analysis Interview

Specialist, Financial Planning & Analysis
East Hartford, CT

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in December 2011.

Interview Details – Met Pratt at a conference and the first interview was a face to face with a Finance Manager and this is not hard. the intent is to get a feel of what your experience and background. E.g questions about your past or current job and what you do specifically. At second round of interviews, you meet 4 people from 4 areas of Finance in 4 hours. This is also to get a good idea of what you have done, expect some behavioral questions and be able to talk clearly about your experience. Giving specific examples is a plus. Certifications and Education is not as important as your experience.

Interview Question – Who is your role model and why did you choose them?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was tough. Ensure you mention your ideal salary from day 1 because the rest of the negotiation will be based on the initial amount you asked for.

Propulsion Systems Analysis Co-op Interview

Propulsion Systems Analysis Co-op
East Hartford, CT

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in November 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted by the manager and had a phone interview. Absolutely great experience. The manager knows what sort of candidate he's looking for and who'll fit the profile for the position. Didn't feel like an interview at all; more like casual conversation. Just be yourself (cliche) and apply for a position that interests you.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in the position, what are your academic interests, Tell me about a time when you failed to solve a technical problem and how did you deal with it..... behavioral. Just be calm and take your time to answer.   Answer Question

Senior Aerothermal Engineer Interview

Senior Aerothermal Engineer
East Hartford, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in October 2011.

Interview Details – A full day of one-on-one interviews was scheduled for me followed by a presentation to a group of senior managers and my team members. I was taken out for lunch with peers.

The interview process is very formal and highly technical. Do not expect to pass through just because you've stated something on your resume. I was asked to describe how I built a model and steps to design a kalman filter. Specific questions were asked on combustion instabilities, causes and remedies.

The management is highly competent. Unlike other companies, here, the higher management is technically superior and very professional.

Dress formally and be extremely professional.

Interview Question – Describe the steps to design a Kalman Filter   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was low and non-negotiable, but I negotiated a signing bonus

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Design Engineering Intern Interview

Design Engineering Intern
East Hartford, CT

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied before going to a conference where Pratt would be having interviews. Two days before I left to the conference I received a call to schedule the interview. I interviewed with a gentleman who would later on be my manager. The interview was partially behavioral and partially technical to see what you know. After the interview it took several weeks to receive a response. I eventually called one of the HR reps and they said it look like I "fell through the cracks" and then they fixed the issue and sent me my offer.

Interview Question – I was asked a trick question about writing the equation for Energy. But even though I only got it partially right the manager was impressed.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was an internship, no negotiation was required.

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
East Hartford, CT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, about a month later I got an email asking for a phone interview. The phone interview was really just personality related.

Interview Question – If you have interviewed before you will be fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really was no negotiation with the internship. you get what you get, and frankly it is pretty good pay for an intern. Your a poor college student just trying to get experience be happy with what you get, you are really worth nothing!

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
East Hartford, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in November 2012.

Interview Details – I saw them at a career fair and talked to a general UTC person who told me PW would be the best fit. She was very nice and helpful. Two weeks later I was contacted via email by the person who would be my supervisor if I was hired. She asked about interviewing me over the phone and we planned on a time. The phone interview was about 45 minutes long and the questions were the typical behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Describe a time you did not have enough information and had to make a decision.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate the offer, I was content with what they were already giving me.

Aerospace Engineer Interview

Aerospace Engineer
East Hartford, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in August 2010.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview. Once that was okay'ed. They scheduled a on-site full day interview with me. A majority of that time were interviews with people I'll be working with but there were some unnecessary interviews with my bosses 's boss and my bosses's boss's boss. Overall it was a good experience. The interviews had some technical parts. They weren't insanely hard but they definitely wanted to see if you knew the basics.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for a jet engine company?   View Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
East Hartford, CT

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in January 2008.

Interview Details – Personality Based Interview Questions: "Time me about a time when...." Essentially, if they are talking to you, it mean you can do the job - they just want to know how well, and supposedly these questions tell them.

Interview Question – If you're supervisor was acting unethically, what would you do.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation....? Seriously....?

Finance Intern Interview

Finance Intern
East Hartford, CT

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in February 2012.

Interview Details – Pratt does not communicate well at all during the interview process. You will be interviewed over the phone as part of a one round interview by one of the ACE (UTC's version of Six Sigma) employees. It is crucial to have knowledge about Pratt and also to discuss the result of your previous work (i.e. how much time your project saved your previous manager, how much money you saved, and etcetera). After that round you'll be notified via e-mail within a few days (about four to six days) in regards to whether you got the position.

Interview Question – Tell me about an ethical dilemma you once faced.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
East Hartford, CT

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney.

Interview Details – One day (5+ hours) interview which consisted of sitting with two seperate groups, one managerial and one technical, answering questions and telling them about myself, a power point presentation with a quesion and answer format, and lunch.
Process was pretty smooth from getting there, being escorted around, and exit when was said done. Most everyoen I was in contact with were nice, friendly, non-confrontational, and asked decent questions.

Interview Question – No questions was all that difficult or unexpected. Mostly typical questions one would expect and should be prepared for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negociation. It was a move from another UTC division and even after tremendous push back they would not budge.

Worked for Pratt & Whitney? Contribute to the Community!