Pratt & Whitney Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Updated Jul 19, 2014
66 interviews

Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney.

I applied via university recruiting team. I had an interview with four people. Interview questions are mostly based on team work. There was not any unexpected questions. Entire interview process took around 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

Senior Coor/Senior Grp Ldr, Mtrls/Dist In Canoga Park, CA At Rocketdyne Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Canoga Park, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Canoga Park, CA

I interviewed through a staffing agency - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney.

Hiring process in the Canoga Park location was about who you knew not how hard you worked. This location was very family base, a family member can ask a favor to move thier love one into a position. For the employees without family members or friends in management positions will be overlook or may not get the opportunity to even interview.

Interview Questions
    • PWR is a engineering base company, the most unexpected question ask of me in my position was can you relate to union employees and thier contact issues.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney.

Applied through the career section of their website. I didn't hear from them for about two months when i received a call to schedule a phone interview. From there it took two rounds of phone interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you experienced difficulty in a management position and the steps you took to correct the issue.   Answer Question

Specialist, Financial Planning & Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  East Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Hartford, CT

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in December 2011.

Met Pratt at a conference and the first interview was a face to face with a Finance Manager and this is not hard. the intent is to get a feel of what your experience and background. E.g questions about your past or current job and what you do specifically. At second round of interviews, you meet 4 people from 4 areas of Finance in 4 hours. This is also to get a good idea of what you have done, expect some behavioral questions and be able to talk clearly about your experience. Giving specific examples is a plus. Certifications and Education is not as important as your experience.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was tough. Ensure you mention your ideal salary from day 1 because the rest of the negotiation will be based on the initial amount you asked for.

Accounting Co-op Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney.

Received the job lead from a former classmate at school. He forwarded my resume over and I eventually was contacted via phone from the recruiter. The recruiter conducted a short phone interview with me and then scheduled an in-office interview with one of the accounting managers. There was one additional interview with two other accounting managers before they extended offers.

Interview Questions
    • What have you done in school that could relate to this position? What interests you about accounting? What experience do you have with excel?   Answer Question

Jet Engine Mechanic Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney.

Interviewer just went over my resume with me and asked me questions. The questions were about my education & experience. He also asked about my veteran status. I think veterans have preference.

Manufacturing Engineering Development Program Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney.

I had an on campus interview. It started at the scheduled time and lasted about 20 minutes. I was asked standard behavioral interview questions and the general questions that they ask everyone (can work in US legally, etc.). My interviewer was very monotone and didn't seem at all interested in what she was doing. I have been waiting 6 months now, and haven't heard anything. They just keep telling me to keep waiting and they'll get back to me soon.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't have any prior internship experience, but before my interviewer looked at my resume to see that, she asked me about my internship experience. Kind of threw me off.   Answer Question

Med Interview

Behavioral based questions

Engineering Co-Op Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in March 2013.

Was called by recruiters to set up a phone interview. They called me back about a week later for the phone interview which lasted for about 30-45 minutes. It was conducted by a panel of 4 recruiters who took turns asking questions. After the call, the said they'd get back to me in about a week.

Course Developer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pratt & Whitney in September 2013.

I heard via a former colleague that her current office was going to hire to fill a position in house. She also let me know that the positions at the Employee Training Center are almost always filled by in-house referrals. She gave my resume to the hiring manager, who said to go ahead and contact the staffing agency with his name. I sent my resume and an introduction via email, mentioning the hiring manager's name, to the staffing agency. They called me within ten minutes.

The staffing agency read through my resume right on the phone, trying to determine how much they should propose for a salary for me. If I had been prepared for negotiating my salary, then I would have demanded an hourly rate commensurate with my experience. I think they low-balled me and I was really kinda desperate to get the job so I just rolled with it. I didn't want Pratt & Whitney to turn me down because the proposed salary was too high. Turned out later they would simply have paid it without question, so I missed out on quite a bit of money.

The interview was approximately two weeks later. It was a fairly standard three-on-one interview. The hiring manager, another leader in the program and an H/R person. Easy questions. They really just wanted to know if I had any exposure to the manufacturing process, as that wasn't completely clear on my resume. The rest of the time they spent explaining the job to me. I asked a lot of questions. I have been through some exceedingly difficult interviews, so this seemed fairly lightweight to me.

Then they took me on a tour of the office and showed me where my desk would be. I figured that was a good sign.

The staffing agency warned me that it might take weeks before they offered me the job. They offered me the job the following day. However, I did not start until two months later, when the budget money for the position was finally approved.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult scenario was that the education level of one of the interviewers was significantly different from the others. That's not a bad thing, but if I answered the questions with "larger" vocabulary words or complex sentences, they got confused. This was rather precarious as I knew in advance I needed to sell this particular person on liking me. Luckily I recognized this very quickly and was able to adapt before she put her walls of defense up.   Answer Question
    The negotiation phase occurred with the staffing agency that was bringing me in as a contractor. The staffing agency basically told me what my salary should be. If I had had any skills as a negotiator, I would have demanded a salary commensurate with my experience.

Worked for Pratt & Whitney? Contribute to the Community!