Praxair

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tonawanda, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Praxair in December 2012.

Interview Details – Praxair was on campus. I talked with them at the job fair and submitted my resume. I was asked to sign up for an on-campus interview. The on-campus interview was very different from other companies.

The first question I was asked to talk about something that was not on my resume. Since I was a PhD, we spoke a lot about my doctoral research and other research experiences (about 20-25 min). No behavioral questions at all. The last 10 minutes, we talked about football! It was a great interview. I got the impression that he was testing me on personality and fit in the organization, in addition to technical competency. It was a very genial atmosphere and a pleasant experience

I got an invitation for the on-site about a month after the on-campus. The night before, there was a dinner with two researchers. They weren't from the group I was interviewing with, which I thought was strange, but they both had worked with my hiring manager before. The interview day was long . Started at 8am. One on one interviews all morning, with others members of the group. Had a lab tour and then lunch. After lunch was my research presentation which was very well attended - by everyone from the Executive R&D Director to other R&D Directors. Lots of interruptions and questions.

Following the presentation, there were more interviews. Now with upper management. Most of the interviews were with multiple people - all Associate R&D Directors and above. This was sort of intimidating, but went well. The last interview was with the hiring manager.
All interviews were a mix of behavioral and technical questions.

The day after the interview, they had arranged an area tour with a realtor.

I received an offer two days after the interview.

Interview Question – Technical: I was asked about some specifics on my topic of research and was asked to go to the white board and summarize a 10 minute talk that I had heard at a conference years ago!

Non-Technical: They wanted to see what kind of sense of humor I had
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was the best offer I had. HR called me before sending me a formal offer and asked me what I wanted. They gave me everything I asked for.

Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Praxair in October 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewer was very friendly

Interview Question – Do you have any leadership experience?   Answer Question

Tonawanda, NY

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Praxair in January 2007.

Interview Details – Got a phone call, then a personal interview. Very pleasant experience.

Interview Question – general questions in the field   View Answer

Negotiation Details – did not try

Tonawanda, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Praxair in November 2007.

Interview Details – Praxair's interview process is a finely tuned machine: you usually have a screen interview (phone, or on-campus interview) then you can move on to the on-site interview. You typically have a full day scheduled and an interview diner the night before with the recruiting manager. During the interview day, you start with a presentation in front of the interviewing team then move on to the 1:1 interviews. You meet with peers, managers, and HR. Each interviewer is given the task to probe you on one or two skill set related to the job you are interviewing for. Those are situation-type questions: give me an example when... The team usually meets privately either at the end of the day or shortly afterwards to rank you and decide whether to keep you in the loop or not. They can make you wait quite a long time before giving you a decision (as they evaluate other candidates).

Interview Question – why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Worked for Praxair? Contribute to the Community!