Praxair Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015

Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in December 2012.

Interview

Praxair was on campus. I talked with them at the job fair and submitted my resume. I was asked to sign up for an on-campus interview. The on-campus interview was very different from other companies.

The first question I was asked to talk about something that was not on my resume. Since I was a PhD, we spoke a lot about my doctoral research and other research experiences (about 20-25 min). No behavioral questions at all. The last 10 minutes, we talked about football! It was a great interview. I got the impression that he was testing me on personality and fit in the organization, in addition to technical competency. It was a very genial atmosphere and a pleasant experience

I got an invitation for the on-site about a month after the on-campus. The night before, there was a dinner with two researchers. They weren't from the group I was interviewing with, which I thought was strange, but they both had worked with my hiring manager before. The interview day was long . Started at 8am. One on one interviews all morning, with others members of the group. Had a lab tour and then lunch. After lunch was my research presentation which was very well attended - by everyone from the Executive R&D Director to other R&D Directors. Lots of interruptions and questions.

Following the presentation, there were more interviews. Now with upper management. Most of the interviews were with multiple people - all Associate R&D Directors and above. This was sort of intimidating, but went well. The last interview was with the hiring manager.
    All interviews were a mix of behavioral and technical questions.

The day after the interview, they had arranged an area tour with a realtor.

I received an offer two days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Technical: I was asked about some specifics on my topic of research and was asked to go to the white board and summarize a 10 minute talk that I had heard at a conference years ago!

Non-Technical: They wanted to see what kind of sense of humor I had

Answer Question

Negotiation

It was the best offer I had. HR called me before sending me a formal offer and asked me what I wanted. They gave me everything I asked for.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Praxair in November 2012.

Interview

Contacted by Engineering hiring manager who also arranged travel to Chicago site. 3 separate panel interviews with 3-4 persons each. interview panel lasted 30-40 minutes each. Initial panel included two other interviewees, you are given a technical problem to solve together and present the solution.

Interview Questions

• Initial group technical problem to solve and present was more to judge how you worked as a group, who took lead, who contributed what to the process. Trying to stand out in this first impression moment was unexpected.   Answer Question

Mechanical Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Praxair (Urbana, IL) in October 2012.

Interview

It was an on campus interview, I was asked a couple of technical questions regarding my research and general behavioral questions. They focused on Internship experience and the challenges faced in Intern/Research

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a disagreement with your adviser/boss and what did you do to resolve it ?   Answer Question

R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

It was a long tough day. Eight people are scheduled to meet. Many behavioral questions were asked, for example, describe a case when there are different opinions in your group and how did you handle them, and what was the overcome. A seminar was given to mixed audience with tech and non-tech background people.

Interview Questions

• Give you half a million dollar, how will you keep doing your existing work to make further progress.   Answer Question

Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

Phone interview 30-40min. Received invitation to site interview within one week. Dinner with hiring manager the night before site interview which lasted for one whole day. Gave a 45 min presentation. Talked to 7-8 people for 45 min each person. Got final result in one week.

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Praxair (Buffalo, NY) in September 2012.

Interview

I spoke with a recruiter at a career fair and was signed up for a interview on the spot, interview was scheduled a week after career fair. Interview was about 45 min long with the original recruiter i met representing the mechanical side and an additional interviewer representing the chemical side. Interview was both behavior and technical, the behavioral was standard, nothing unexpected or challenging. The technical was very challenging, I was asked to read graphs, explain flow charts even recite equations and troubleshoot a potential problem.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult aspect of this interview was that i was never told the actual position (and responsibilities) i was interviewing for. I asked several times for more information and was simply told it was a general engineering position and the responsibilities were vague. However when interviewed almost all the technical questions were geared toward a equipment engineering position. All the questions focused on being able to size and choose the correct equipment for a situation, such as sizing a heat exchanger or compressor or choosing the correct type equipement for a given application. Had I known this i would have prepared for the interview much differently.   Answer Question

R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Praxair (Buffalo, NY) in September 2012.

Interview

It is a on-campus interview opportunity. The interview place is in my university. First, I was asked to apply online. After roughly a week, I received an email from the hiring manager to schedule an interview on campus. THe interview took about one hour. I was talking to hiring manager one-on-one in the career service. After two more weeks, I was turned down for further hiring process.

Technical Sales/Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Praxair (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied online and started off with a phone interview. It involved general behavioral questions by the hiring manager followed by an online skill test the same. This was followed by an in-person panel interview with 6 people at the corporate HQ in Burr Ridge, IL. It consisted of a 15 min corporate presentation followed by 3 one hour interviews with the panelists. It went well and the hiring managers were all impressed with my skill set and the overall performance on the interview day. Unfortunately, they did not extent the offer because other candidate with relevant experience was selected.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Praxair (Houston, TX) in June 2012.

Interview

Applied online and received an e-mail to schedule the phone interview. I thought the interview would be a real interview with the hiring manager. However, it was not. Some person on the phone just asked me behavoral questions and typed up my answers. The whole process took 1-2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Can't recall, but one question was "Tell me about a time you had to do something outside your responsibilities. What did you do?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Praxair (The Woodlands, TX) in May 2012.

Interview

Panel interview that was focused on the interviewee than what the company was offering. A presentation of project experience was required. This presentation was requested with adaquate time to prepare prior to interview.

Interview Questions

• How was the communications between the applications interfaced?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Minimal negotiations occurred.