Praxair

Praxair Interview Questions in Tonawanda, NY

3.2

R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Praxair in October 2013.

Campus recruit on September 2013, met with two technical staff in campus job fair. Followed up with a onsite interview one month later. The night before interview day, the associate director who I will work with have a dinner with me (Praxair has this great tradition). Causal conversation and very delicious food (do not order too cheap or too expensive food for yourself. check out the menu before you go to the restaurant). The associate director is a nice guy and he shown me the list of peoples I will meet tomorrow during my interview day and what their background, which I found out very helpful. In the meantime, show him some passion of the relative works, but do not say too much.

During onsite interview day, first I gave a one hour technical presentation from 8 AM and answer some questions from them (total 8 peoples in the meeting room). Then individual meeting with department director and two associate director (each of them for 45 min, rest 15 min)... Have lunch break with two technical fellows who will work with... Afternoon met with 3 more technical fellows and HR manager. Left the company around 5 PM.

Got the call from the associate director after one month later and confirmed the offer.

Interview Questions
    • 1. A behavior question from HR manager, "How can you handle the disagreement raised from your audiences when you are presenting your works on stage?"
      2. A technical question from department director, "Please work me through the knowledge that inspires your accomplishment?"

View Answer
    Offer is very good, no negotiation was made..

Logistics Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Praxair in August 2013.

Had a pretty normal phone screening then invited on site for a long interview with 4 different logistics managers. They show you the software they use to plan and expect you to learn a little bit about it and then ask you to show them what you learned. Two of them were the west planning team and two of them were south. All in all a very enjoyable interview, everyone seemed to actually want to interview you. I received the offer but had to decline.

Interview Questions
    • It was mostly general questions, why are you interested in praxair, why are you interested in logistics, tell me a time when you had to implement something that wasn't very popular. Behavioral questions.   Answer Question

I declined due to personal reasons and moving to Colorado. I would have accpeted under any other circumstances.

Commissioning Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Praxair.

Applied online. Resume reviewed by HR in Tonawanda, NY. Telephone interview with couple of managers followed. Then was asked to come in for a face to face interview at the office. Interviewed with several engineering managers over a period of 5 hours. Final interview with HR. Got the job!

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions are tricky. Be consistent in your answers. Situation given and was asked what would you do if you were to take a decision and why.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate pretty good since I already had a job offer from another company. Take advantage of multiple job offers and ask for "sign on bonus" and relocation package.

Project Controls Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Praxair.

The process overall was well structured. But too drawn out in terms of schedule. Thee was a gap of more than 3 months between the initial phone screen and the on site interview, and a further 4 weeks after the on site interview until I got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • A difficult situation that you came across at former job(s) and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Praxair in December 2012.

Praxair was on campus. I talked with them at the job fair and submitted my resume. I was asked to sign up for an on-campus interview. The on-campus interview was very different from other companies.

The first question I was asked to talk about something that was not on my resume. Since I was a PhD, we spoke a lot about my doctoral research and other research experiences (about 20-25 min). No behavioral questions at all. The last 10 minutes, we talked about football! It was a great interview. I got the impression that he was testing me on personality and fit in the organization, in addition to technical competency. It was a very genial atmosphere and a pleasant experience

I got an invitation for the on-site about a month after the on-campus. The night before, there was a dinner with two researchers. They weren't from the group I was interviewing with, which I thought was strange, but they both had worked with my hiring manager before. The interview day was long . Started at 8am. One on one interviews all morning, with others members of the group. Had a lab tour and then lunch. After lunch was my research presentation which was very well attended - by everyone from the Executive R&D Director to other R&D Directors. Lots of interruptions and questions.

Following the presentation, there were more interviews. Now with upper management. Most of the interviews were with multiple people - all Associate R&D Directors and above. This was sort of intimidating, but went well. The last interview was with the hiring manager.
    All interviews were a mix of behavioral and technical questions.

The day after the interview, they had arranged an area tour with a realtor.

I received an offer two days after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Technical: I was asked about some specifics on my topic of research and was asked to go to the white board and summarize a 10 minute talk that I had heard at a conference years ago!

Non-Technical: They wanted to see what kind of sense of humor I had

Answer Question
    It was the best offer I had. HR called me before sending me a formal offer and asked me what I wanted. They gave me everything I asked for.

R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Praxair in October 2012.

It was a long tough day. Eight people are scheduled to meet. Many behavioral questions were asked, for example, describe a case when there are different opinions in your group and how did you handle them, and what was the overcome. A seminar was given to mixed audience with tech and non-tech background people.

Interview Questions
    • Give you half a million dollar, how will you keep doing your existing work to make further progress.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Praxair in October 2012.

Phone interview 30-40min. Received invitation to site interview within one week. Dinner with hiring manager the night before site interview which lasted for one whole day. Gave a 45 min presentation. Talked to 7-8 people for 45 min each person. Got final result in one week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Praxair in December 2011.

Campus interview, then on-site interview, which is pretty tough since have to make a 45 minutes talk and meet many individuals

Not much to say, normal

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Praxair in November 2011.

on campus interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Praxair in October 2011.

First, I was selected for 1:1 interview and the interview questions were mostly based on my research work. Within 4 days I received invitation for site Visit & interview at the Praxair Technology Center in Tonawanda NY. I was given 2 weeks time for preparation. The day before onsite interview, Praxair personalities took me to a restaurant for dinner and discussed about Praxair's area of work. Interview day began with a short benefit introduction discussed by the HR persons. Then 6 persons interviewed me individually. each 45 minutes. Besides, I had to present my research work in-front of the interview panel. Overall the interview experience was very nice.