Premera Blue Cross Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

2.5

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Internal Regulatory Consultant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Premera Blue Cross in September 2014.

Relaxed atmosphere, workforce dress is business casual, interviewer wore jeans and plaid shirt.
    Interview was set for an hour, but completed in 40 minutes. Started the interview with asking what I thought the duties of the job were. Then asked how my skillset would be useful to the position. Interviewer was not really interested in my background, was mainly focused on experience with regulatory requirements and communicating the requirements to others.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not difficult or complex.   View Answer

Manager of Client Technology Services Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Premera Blue Cross in August 2014.

First interview was a phone interview with a recruiter, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. A couple of weeks later I was invited to 2 days of onsite interviews. First day was an interview with the departmental director, HR, management peers, and the full team this position would be supporting. The 2nd day was more interviews with management peers from other departments. I was invited back for a final interview with the hiring manger.

Interview Questions
    • Hiring manager kept testing my knowledge of Lean Six Sigma methodologies, however this was not listed as a requirement on the job posting. Also asked several situational types questions, i.e. what would you do if an employee showed up to work who appeared to be drunk.   Answer Question

Assistant Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Premera Blue Cross.

The hiring process was one to remember, for good and bad reasons. The process took longer than I'd care to remember. From start to finish, it was about a three month wait: however, there were certain circumstances that made it longer than it should have been. I applied online after receiving an email about a posting online. I filled it out, and it was about a month until I received an email saying that the company wanted to set up a phone interview.
         The phone interview was about a half hour with an HR representative, and I was asked questions that would be expected in an interview. Essentially, give an impression of myself and abilities. None of the questions were too easy, or too hard. This went well enough that I was told that I would be contacted to have an in person interview set up.
         I waited about a week before being contacted, then had the interview set up in another week after that. The interview was two and half hours, in 5 half hour sessions, with one or two people at a time. I met with several managers and senior analysts from the department that I would be working in. They all had questions tailored to different areas, and it was fairly simple and was not too challenging. Given I prepared a lot for anything and everything.
      Then the waiting came. I was one of the first to interview, so I knew it would be a little while, but this was also around the holidays, so I ended up waiting a month and a half for a phone call saying that I had gotten the job.
       The actual interview process was very easy and everyone I talked to was very upbeat and easy to talk to. The only bad thing I can say was that it took way too long. I love my job now and the community is very welcoming and easy to work around.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were faced with adversity, and you knew you were going to fail, and how did you manage it?   View Answer

Assistant Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Premera Blue Cross in January 2014.

Scheduled a 2.5 Hour interview session a few weeks into the application process. Went to Mountlake Terrace campus and interviewed in two sessions. Half an hour interview sessions with Actuarial analysts and managers. Mostly behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • They ask if you had a magical box that could produce any information, what would you want to price a premium for a policy?   Answer Question

Internal Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Premera Blue Cross.

Phone interview with contract recruiter. She reviewed the position, benefits, pay and company policies with me.

Interview Questions
    • Basic phone interview questions.

Can you tell me of a time when...?
        View Answer

Senior Internal Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Premera Blue Cross.

Multiple phone screenings, half-day in person interview. No offer received.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were simple. They seem to be looking for a perfect cultural fit AND someone who will not 'rock the boat' too much.   Answer Question

ECommerce Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Premera Blue Cross in July 2013.

Horrible process, long delays, communication gap between each step, seems top heavy micro-managed place, interviewers lack clarity of thought, cant give big picture, peers to the role seem to be struggling as well.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, but yes general and good questions which everyone asks.   Answer Question

Seems very political, top heavy place to work and definitely not a company you want to make career..

Applications Development Manager II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Premera Blue Cross in March 2013.

Be prepared for the most frustrating experience imaginable.

Premera's recruiting practices are confusing, horrible and bizarre, and this entire process was the most frustrating experience I have ever had with a company. First off, to be fair there ARE exciting things happening at Premera, and the opportunities do seem promising. When I finally met with the teams internally, I came out feeling like they had a good thing going. The people were genuine and they seemed to enjoy working there. I was very encouraged by that experience, and was intrigued so much that I held off another company’s offer in hopes of getting the job at Premera (I was able to finally secure the other offer, fortunately).

But PLEASE be aware of the multi-layered fiasco that you may end up experiencing with their recruiting teams. Apparently their internal HR is so overworked that they are outsourcing to ManPower the ability to troll through their jobs and candidate base to look for potentially matching positions. This is where it gets really bad. I was personally contacted by 3 separate recruiters – and all 3 were slimy and manipulative, devious masters of the bait-and-switch, willing to fawn all over you in one conversation to win you over to their side, but later prove that they don’t care one bit about you. It was an interminable process. FYI, none of these recruiters are local (one in MN, one in NY, one in Los Angeles). The one from NY was particularly manipulative.

One recruiter squeezed some information out of me (NEVER AGAIN) on an early call, and then a second one later used the info as a tactic to drive down my salary expectations. I was given the general salary range for the position and that I should be able to expect an offer somewhere in the mid-range. Later, I was told I had to have more experience in one specific skillset - and that the hiring manager was too busy and unwilling to speak to me unless I would agree to a lower salary amount. Interestingly enough, questions about that skillset were not once touched on during the real interviews. I believe the recruiter was capping the salary in order to earn themselves a higher commission on the position.

I finally had the onsite interview, which included 3 one-hour panel sessions. One of those sessions included the hiring manager. I was told that if the first 3 hours went well, then I should expect to stick around to meet with two executives. The panel interviews were great. This is when I finally met the team members and found out more about the actual job. The panelists were very smart, asked engaging questions, and showed excitement about what they were doing. I enjoyed my time there. At the end I asked about the two follow-ups but nobody knew anything about it. HR and the hiring manager was nowhere to be found.

When following up with the recruiter, she fawned all over me telling me how wonderful the interviews went and that they had to now schedule the time with the executives “just as a formality”. Then she explained that scheduling them was going to be tough – “It’s going to delay things further because they are out of state”. Then the next day I was told they are “flying them in to meet with me” and “I should feel lucky” that they were going to all this trouble. Really? It was just more buttering up to keep me engaged (they knew I had another offer). So, I went in and had two very pleasant half hour conversations with two executives. At the end of that interview, they could not tell me what the next steps would be, other than to “just wait for HR”.

I did wait, and after 4-5 days, there was no communication at all. I had to initiate a call to get a status update. That’s when I was finally told that they were not moving forward with me. And here’s the kicker -- there was absolutely no feedback as to WHY I wasn’t selected. None. I’ve even reached out to the hiring manager, but received no communication. Even better, they had made the decision at least two days earlier. Why bother to tell me this, right? I guess she had no incentive to work with me further or to communicate to me any negative information – because at that stage she had no hope of getting a commission … so why bother, right?

Believe me, this was truly a one of a kind experience for me. I’ve been on the hiring side for many years, and I thought I had pretty much seen it all until going through this fiasco. DO NOT work with the Premera recruiters if you can avoid them.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me one word that other people use to describe you but is not accurate.   Answer Question

Senior Internal Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Premera Blue Cross in January 2013.

Super easy, a recruiter reached out to me and asked if I would be interested in looking at an open job. From that point, I had a few phone interviews that were the typical why do you want the job, what motiviates you, how do you problem solve etc.

Interview Questions
    • If you were working on a project and the leader who was in charge wasn't completeing their end of the bargain, how would you address it.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Premera Blue Cross in September 2012.

Hour long phone interview in early September. Scheduled for an in person interview about a week later. Panel style interview, went from 1pm til about 4:30pm. First round was 2 managers interviewing the 5 of us round robin style. Everyone got the same questions, they just rotated who answered first. About 8 or 9 questions asked. After that 4 candidates were invited to stay for the 2nd round. A higher up manager entered the room and asked his own series of round robin questions, again about 8 or 9 each. On a side note i REALLY liked getting the first and second round interviews all done in one fell swoop as opposed to having to leave, wait days for a decision, then make arrangements to come back.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a process or policy you didnt agree with in your last job and what did you do to resolve that.   View Answers (2)
    None. Im just happy to finally get my foot in the door!