PrepMatters

PrepMatters Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at PrepMatters

Tutoring Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PrepMatters in June 2012.

The process consisted of an online application, phone interview, in-person interview, tests (sample SATs) and a "teachback" presentation (topic of my choice) to staff members. Everyone I met was extremely friendly and helpful. The interview was very interactive and my main point of contact was prompt and helpful as she guided me through the admittedly thorough process. You can tell that they really care about what they do and really enjoy working there.

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PrepMatters in October 2011.

A friend working at PrepMatters suggested I apply to be tutor there. I emailed the address she gave me and received a response after two days, which I thought was pretty prompt. After some back-and-forth regarding scheduling I was able to come in. The office was a beautiful ensemble, decorated stylishly, and the employees seemed friendly and dedicated.
    My interview consisted of questions about my teaching experience and style. The interviewer seemed very friendly. She asked about how I would handle different types of students or different situations. After about half an hour of this, I took a sample SAT, consisting of one section each of reading, writing, and math.
    This was on a Friday, and my interviewer promised I'd hear back by Monday, and that she'd schedule for me to do some sample teaching. On Wednesday my friend reassured me that yes, they were incredibly disorganized on the hiring, but I'd hear back from them. My email on Friday went unanswered, as did my call the next Monday. It felt incredibly rude and off-putting not to receive a response - even a polite "thanks, but no thanks" - when it had been explicitly promised.

Interview Questions
    • How would you describe your teaching style?   Answer Question
    • How would you explain a child's performance to a parent if he or she weren't improving on a given section?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite type of student? How would you handle the opposite of your favorite type of student?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PrepMatters in April 2010.

Found job opening through craigslist posting -- interview process consisted of initial phone interview, followed by 1:1 followup interview, SAT-test equivalent, and prepared 5-minute teaching sample. Spoke with hiring supervisor for initial inteviews, met with and taught sample lesson to company owner for final approval. Company stresses search for positive, knowledgeable student-focused tutors who are flexible with scheduling, and willing to accept additional hours during cyclical high-need periods.