Priceline.com

Updated Dec 7, 2014
Updated Dec 7, 2014

2.5

Senior Java Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Priceline.com in December 2011.

Phone interview : Had simple java, some database, Javascript questions.Cleared the phone interview then was called in person.

In Person interview : Questions were asked about architecture like Explain the architecture of your company operations. I told the we had a operations team to do that. But they were more interested in the servers and how they are deployed.

then some questions were: 1. What is thrashing? 2. How to tune database? 3. How does hashing work? 4. What is the serial id , why is it needed? 5. Serialization and Externalization 6. Why to Synchronize 7.What is process and multithreading 8. Why wud u need an abstract class ? 9. why do u need to override equals with hashcode()

Later had UI team to interview: 1.Write a program to display Buzz for 3 times value and Fizz for 5 times value for 1 to 100
    2. Later they asked some normal td tr questions and I insisted that we use divs now a days. So advantages to use divs over td trs.
    3. Validations in Struts
    4. How to make the page load fast and many other simple questions

Interview Questions
    • Architecture of your current company ? Where are the service beans and UI servers. How are the servers maintained? How to detect the exceptions which don't affect the system , but are yet in the log   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Priceline.com in January 2012.

Got call from recruiter. Started with a phone interview which was very simple with basic questions about DHTML, Java and Struts and was called for face2face interview in Norwalk. Started with the HR interview with questions like 'why you are leaving?', 'What do u know abt priceline' and went on for about an hour. Then the Director of the group came in for a interview and asked me to explain what I was doing in my previous company and he explained the position details. Then the technical interview for couple of hours. Overall I thought I did pretty well, but for some reason I din get through.

Interview Questions
    • if there are multiple web servers how do consecutive user requests get the session info?   View Answer

Front-End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Priceline.com in December 2012.

I applied for the Front-end Engineer position online after seeing the job posting on Indeed.com. I was first contacted by their Senior Recruiter by email asking me to set up a time to have a quick phone interview. During the phone call I was asked why I was leaving my current job and to describe my current role and skill set. He then told me he would set up a technical interview with their Principal Software Engineer based in California. The phone call lasted about 15-20 minutes.

The technical interview happened a couple of days later. He asked me questions about web optimization, Ajax, and a few Javascript questions although he was aware I only had working experience with Javascript. Once in awhile he would ask a short question such as, "How do you tell the browser what language you're using?". This interview lasted about half an hour.

I was contacted by the Senior Recruiter about a few days later to set up a time for an in person interview in Norwalk, CT where their main office is. I called him back a couple of hours later and had to leave a message. He didn't call me back until a day or two later. I was sent an email with information about what would happen during the interview and how long I should expect it to last. I was given driving directions. He also provided a link to a PDF file that I had to print out and bring with me all filled out. It was a standard employment form (very similar to the one I filled out years ago when applying to work for Bed Bath & Beyond for a retail position).

I arrived for my interview about 15 minutes early. The Senior Recruiter told me to ask for him at the security desk in the lobby. The security guard called his phone but he didn't pick up. The Director was standing on the second floor landing and yelled down that she would escort me up. It turned out the recruiter wasn't back from lunch yet and I waited in a small office for a few minutes until a group of developers and a UI manager entered and interviewed me. They were my favorite group of people and I thought I did well with them. Afterwards two separate developers came in and interviewed me. They initially wanted me to go up to a whiteboard and work on some Ajax related problems but being that I didn't have any real working experience with Ajax this exercise was skipped. They asked me to describe my coding practices in detail and also asked me how I would improve their current website. Questions even ventured into design territory since I've done web design work in the past and also majored in Art while in college.

I was told if I were to be hired I could expect to commute to Norwalk, CT for training (this could take anywhere between a week to a month) and then I would be placed in their Manhattan office where I was intending to work. Their working hours were very attractive to me--9-5 but you can show up at 11 if you want. You have the option of working from home often.

I was supposed to have met with the recruiter after the last group of developers but he was still not back from lunch (a holiday lunch apparently). The Director was nice enough to show me to their break room so I could have some water while I waited for the recruiter to return. I probably waited about 15-20 minutes until he finally came. My conversation with him was very brief and it felt a little rushed. I handed over the papers I had to fill out. He told me a bit more about the company. I told him I didn't have a chance to ask for anyone's business cards and he told me he would email me all of their contact information so I could follow up with them. He informed me I wouldn't hear from them until after the holidays.

He didn't email me that evening and I assumed he would the next day (a Friday). Friday came and went, he didn't email me any contact information, and unfortunately it was the last day before Christmas vacation.

After I wasn't contacted the day after New Years Day I gave him a call. He didn't answer so I left a message. He never called me back and later in the afternoon the next day I received a robotic rejection letter from him.

I was shocked to receive a rejection email because I was under the impression that I performed well during my interview and got along well with everyone. I hope it had nothing to do with me not following up with the people who interviewed me because I was definitely intending to do so but like I said the recruiter was of no help in that department. I even went so far as to search for the few people's names I could remember on LinkedIn to send an "InMail" message but no such luck because I wasn't already within their network.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between display: none and visibility: hidden?   View Answer

Hotel Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Priceline.com in August 2013.

I applied to this role through their website by submitting a resume tailored to the role and a cover letter outlining my interest and how my experience and skills matched the job requirements. I was contacted two weeks later by an HR representative for an initial screening. My resume suggested that I might be overqualified for the position and she wanted to make sure we were in the same ballpark regarding salary. Companies are usually backwards about this - saving the salary question until after a protracted interview process, and wasting everyone's time when there's a big disparity between expectations and reality. In fact, there was a large disparity, but I was more interested in getting hired into this company than making a ton of money.

I was scheduled for a phone interview with the hiring manager. That interview was over an hour long discussion about the role and her answering my questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Priceline?   View Answer
    • She wanted to know about my technical knowledge in relation to how it would meet the requirements of the role.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Priceline.com in May 2014.

I had applied for ETL position in early May and could find the job responsibility very exciting.
    Initial round started with phonic discussion which went through a healthy discussion and i was looking forward to meet the team and have face to face interview done.
    Iwas not local to the place being available in other city which was too far and commute time was spending a day in transit, so seeked company sponsorship to have ease of commute but unfortunately declined by company as they have sponsoring criteria only for opposite Coast of Globe.

I was called upon and had first round was being interviewed by 4 project representative and it went good where i was provided laptop and asked to implement x different things irrelavant to actual reallife process.

Then it was followed by HR which was pleasingly good.

Interview Questions
    • Then came the most untidy round where in senior lead chipped in giving self introduction showcasing rudely of having expert level experience in almost all IT technologies. I was asked all irrelevant question , be it personal and behaviorual with absurd categories of architect level out of scope /unexpected question which lasted for appx 60+ min leaving me exhausted and lost interest in what i was actually looking for.
      A couple of my counter question were taken very rudely as if i was offending Babu's ego against his commitment to not reveal certain company/project levels details.

I was at last verbally told that the company usually goes out with 1 open position in 2 or 3 years and it was normal policy to regress 100 odd guys for single position to choose appropriate candidate, to which i still personally feel is a kind of stress test, showcasing the level of flexibility and freedom to be provided to employees by senior management.

With all of above stress and hardest commute of my life to appear for such interview was toughest experience and my recommendation for anyone would be not to appear for one job which is listed on companies website for decades as these guys seems to be really not interested in hiring but have intent of some internal benefits.

Answer Question

Senior leadership under which project was aligned and who took my interview seemed to be over qualified to work with considering the ego and temper to delegate entire world to my footstep.

My decision was not supporing Mindset of leader

Online Marketing Manager Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied online – interviewed at Priceline.com in July 2014.

Interviewed with hiring manager using skype. He was very dry and bored with the interview process. When his question did not come through clear due to audible complications I asked him to repeat his question and got a rude reply in a monotone manner. I interviewed the day before writing this post so don't know the outcome of the interview. But if asked to come back for in person meeting I would decline due to not wanting to work with this person

Regional Revenue Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Priceline.com in December 2012.

Relatively challenging process overall. Initially met with HR who was knowledgeable followed by a hiring manager, peers and ultimately, SVP of division. The questions were engaging and everyone seemed very passionate about the role, people and products.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't find any of the questions difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question
    I negotiated.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Priceline.com.

Weird hiring process...took a long time between interviews. HR didn't reach back out. I didn't interview for the job I applied for but one the recruiter felt was a good fit (it wasn't ). Hiring manger wanted to Skype interview. Which was strange, I don't live that far away. So I did it. They aren't big on tele commuting. No one has cubes or offices. Sounds like they run very lean so a lot of questions geared towards can you handle a large work load.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Priceline.com in October 2014.

I applied online. After a week I got an email from hiring manager to set up a Phone interview with 3 of their software engineers within a week. They started with asking question related to my past projects, what was my biggest challenge while developing them etc. and then they gave me 2 mins to see their website and I need to tell them that what changes I can do or what more I can add to their website to make it more effective. Thenceforth, the technical questions: what is the difference between frame and iframe, what is the mother of all the class in java, what DML and UDL and questions to improve their website. I did pretty well in the interview. I gave almost all the answers at the best I can. There is no response from their side after an interview.

Interview Questions
    • HR told me that interviewers will ask me questions related to only java, so, I was prepared for java but it was unexpected that they asked me question from every where like HTML, CSS, Database and Java.   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Priceline.com in November 2014.

I met the recruiting team at the campus career fair. HR seemed particularly interested in my potential fit for this role as they had asked when I was available for an in-person interview. Nearly two months later, I received an email from a Senior Recruiter to set up an introductory phone interview. The second interview was set up for the next week with a VP. When he missed the interview, I had reached out to HR, but the original recruiter never contacted me. Another HR representative reached out reschedule the interview for the next week. The day of my interview, I received a text message from the interviewer asking if it was ok to again, reschedule due to a family emergency. I finally had the interview, but there was something very off. It came off as if the interviewer had not seen my resume. In addition, he had mentioned that he was standing outside because it was noisy inside. From the start of the interview, I could hear the wind rustling in the background. At one point it sounded like I was on mute. And when the interview was over, the interviewer somehow was at the train station as he said that he was hoping on a train to the NYC office. He told me that he would sleep on his decision and that he would get back to me on Friday afternoon regarding next steps. Surprisingly, I never heard back and after reaching out to HR once again to find out what exactly was going on, it seemed like HR was unaware and after that call, I gave up.

The entire interview process came off as unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, basic background and related experience questions.   Answer Question