Priceline.com Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2015

2.6

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Priceline.com (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and a recruiter contacted via email. They did a phone screen but they didn't really do the right job in terms of figuring out what my Javascript level is. After the friendly but non-technical "tech screen" they asked for an on-site.

The entire job is about Javascript. During the in person interview they mentioned they have a "new stack" that's based off of node.js and angular, in a move away from JSP. It wasn't the most professional way to do things since I had to use PTO in order to go in person, when they could have determined my JS level over the phone.

If you have node.js on your resume they'll grill you on node and if you have angular, then they'll ask about that.

Overall if you put a price on your PTO, and you don't get the offer, then you're paying out of pocket for the experience even though they could have done a better job on the technical phone screen.

Interview Questions

Interview

I was contacted by a corporate recruiter at Priceline.com in order to set up a phone interview because my qualifications met the job description. She had contacted by voicemail as well as by email. I responded to this request within 1 hour, by phone and email, but I never heard from the recruiter again.
    Nothing. No response.
    What kind of people are running this operation? Have they no regard for people? What kind of company would have these type of people on their team?

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Priceline.com (Norwalk, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with a recruiter leading to a Google Hangouts Video chat with Lead Developer. He had me go through a rather creative exercise that started out simple, create a list of items in HTML then added complexity by having me manipulate the items with JS and jQuery. I got through this alright then waited a while before being offered an in person interview with their Norwalk office.

In person interview consisted of meeting with the recruiter and discussing the role and my past experience then moving on to a multi-person panel of Lead Developers who "tested" my knowledge of JS with a printed sheet of poorly written trick questions designed to mislead and embarrass the reader. If only I had brought my typewriter... I was not given a practical test the way the first developer did in the Hangouts interview which would have been a better representation of how I use my tools, reference materials, and technologies to produce working code and not memorize minutiae. Had I been allowed to use my laptop to solve the questions, I might have been made an offer as I felt the rest of the interview process went very well.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you met a challenge that was difficult for you and how you overcame that issue.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Priceline.com (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Forget where I submit my resume, got a call from the HR Manager. Followed up with 1 hours phone interview with the hiring manager after one week, then came to office for onsite group interview with the team and 1 on 1 interview with the hiring manager. The whole interview process went very quickly.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Priceline.com (Norwalk, CT) in March 2014.

Interview

I first took two phone interviews with hiring managers, one two turns onsite interview, each one for one hour with the hiring manager and their technical engineer. They asked Java, OOD questions, you work experiences, and ask some small technical problems to you for solution. I think if it is time they are hiring people, it is easy for interviewee to get offer. The people are friendly and introduced their projects and work environment to you. The company is very good, open space, and excellent green card police for foreign worker visa holder like H1b.

Interview Questions

• How the out of stack memory, out of heap memory, out of CPU error happened?   1 Answer

Negotiation

smoothy

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Priceline.com (Norwalk, CT).

Interview

I interviewed here more than once. Initially , it is the recruiter call checking on your background and telling you how critical Java is to the company, how it is a core java shop blah blah.
    Then there is a tech phone screen. I passed both the times. Same questions (both the years were over 3 years apart...java has evolved but the interviewers questions didn't seem to have :-) ).

Then they give you a test to code and bring for the in-person interview. The same ChutesAndLadders game. The recruiter will tell you play with it, enjoy it and show off your skills. The interviewers will ask you why did you unnecessarily do this or why was that necessary (you were showing off your skills though, right ?).

Inperson is boring, same questions - They will probably give you a computer and ask you to code small loops etc. Nothing major.

Interview Questions

• Priceline recruiters tend to boast about knowledge in threading and serialization so the interview is fairly standard -
      1 )threading (synchronization, thread starvation etc) ,
      2) serialization questions (emphasis on serialVersionUId) and
      3) they asked me this question both the times (3 years apart) - working of hashMap (basically covering hashCode and equals() method).

1 Answer

Na Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Priceline.com in February 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me after submitting resume online. Recruiter asked me a few questions about my background. Let me know he was going to pass my resume over to the hiring manager and they would contact me if they felt i was a good fit. Recruiter asked me several question on task that i preformed at prior employment

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Priceline.com.

Interview

Video if remote. half a day of in person. Not very challenging. But brings out the personality in general. A decision is mostly made right after the in person interview.

Interview Questions

• IT/Programming concepts pertaining to parallelism, scaling sizing etc   Answer Question

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Priceline.com (Norwalk, CT) in January 2015.

Interview

Apply- wait 3 months. Then phone Interview with recruiter, wait a week, phone interview with team, wait 2 weeks, in person interview, wait 2 weeks, job offer- extensive background check.

Interview Questions

• What kind of design work i was currently working on, how much experience i have with html and css, how well i work in a team - a few situational questions designed to see if you ask for help when its needed and if you're willing to learn new things.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Priceline.com in December 2014.

Interview

I had a pre screening phone call from hr asking about the company and my salary requirements. then I had a technical interview on phone with a senior software engineer (related to Java). I was called onsite and I had 2-3 rounds of interview both technical and hr. Interview process was good. Team was very encouraging.After the interview I did send a follow up mail 2 times asking about their decision. Neither the team members nor the hr responded. I don't ask them to respond for each and every candidate they interview( considering their busy time). But I feel it's good to respond at least to a candidate who comes for an onsite interview and interviews for half a day. Let the candidate know if they did not make it.