Princeton Review

Updated Nov 30, 2014
Updated Nov 30, 2014

2.6

Territory Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Princeton Review.

Went through an initial phone screen, then an in-person with the office's director, and then a final in-person with a VP. Never heard back after the third in-person interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Princeton Review in October 2014.

I contacted the Princeton Review about a Craigslist posting to proctor tests. They looked at my resume and asked if I would be interested in teaching instead/in addition. I said yes.

First, I had to go into the main office to teach a 10 minute lesson on a non-academic topic of my choosing. I ended up teaching for the office staff. They conferred for a few minutes after the audition and then told me I passed. The next step was taking a practice SAT lesson.

Then I was invited to a ~40 hour paid training to be an SAT teacher. The class taught how to do Princeton Review methods and involved teaching back 2-3 lessons each day to the rest of the trainee group. After the first half of the class, some people were cut, and some self-selected to leave. A few days after the full training, I was sent an email letting me know I had passed the training and was certified to teach.

Interview Questions
    • The teachbacks during the trainings were rough because we had just learned in the material or had to piece it together from the manual/training videos. And often you never knew quite what you would be asked to teach, just the general section your questions would be pulled from.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, hourly rate seem fixed and they tell it to you before the training begins.

SAT Instructor Interview

Need to know SAT materials in and out. Would suggest minimum of 1400 SAT but they require you to retake the take in a timed environment. Need to know how to handle a classroom of 15-20 students.

No negotiations/standard pay

SAT Instructor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Princeton Review.

Applied online when I saw a Craigslist ad. I got a call from the territory manager, who requested an interview. I went on the scheduled day and no one was in the office (empty and door was locked). I thought maybe I had messed up the time and date. I emailed the operations manager and she rescheduled a new date/time with the territory manager. I was correct initially. (This should've been a sign the company was unorganized.) I went in for the interview and was asked some of the expected questions (Why do I want this job, what is my experience) and had to present a "how to" quick teaching monologue (I was informed of this before the interview). It was pretty easy and I was hired on the spot. I attended an SAT teacher training a few weeks later and passed. The other new hire with me was asked to leave the training, because he did not grasp what the trainer wanted us to teach back/emphasize in each lesson.

Interview Questions
    They have a base pay of something like $17/hr for SAT/ACT instructors. $19/hr for tutorials. A few dollars more for grad-level tests. I did not negotiate compensation - perhaps other people have though.

SAT Instructor Interview

interviewed at Princeton Review in July 2014.

Territory manager was friendly, energetic, and straightforward. For the interview, i was asked to prepare a 5 minute teachback on any non-academic subject. Afterward, I took a shortened SAT exam. Office was small and casual. I can tell that they are looking for instructors who can make the SAT studying process a fun and enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions
    • Questions on the SAT exam. I didn't expect taking an SAT exam (even if it was a shortened version).   Answer Question

ACT Instructor & Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Princeton Review in May 2014.

I filled out an online application for a different position and heard back about 3 weeks later with an offer to interview for a secretarial position and the tutoring position. It appeared that no one actually read my resume as everyone I talked to was seemingly surprised I had taught for 3 years already. Repeatedly called my home phone despite listing my cell as preference (as an adjunct, I'm rarely home). Didn't list their hours or wages for the part-time job which would have saved everyone time. They wanted ACT scores from about ten years ago even though I teach English and graduated with honors. Then, the interviewer, after hearing I had a perfect score in English on the ACT says, "Well, I guess you didn't do really well on the rest." REALLY? Sorry I didn't ace the whole thing– it certainly didn't stop me from getting full ride offers from colleges. Both interviewers employ the psychology trick for "listening" where what you say is repeated back to you but they don't seem to comprehend what you've said.

Interview Questions
    • For the most part, it's the usual "describe a time with a difficult person." The more interesting ones: "How do you feel about making $10 per hour? Raises are annual and go up to $15." and "Can you commit to working for us for at least a year so you can learn databases?"   Answer Question

I declined the offer because the pay is ludicrous, the hours cut out any chance at a second income as an adjunct, and they behaved like idiots the entire time. No thanks.

Instructor/Tutor SAT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Princeton Review in May 2014.

The interview process was not difficult, the questions were fairly simple. Just like any other interview, try to be professional and accurate with you answer. Although this company is DOES NOT practice the EEO requirements, if you are desperately in need of temperate employment, try this one.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are simple and not hard to answer   View Answer

Test Intern Interview

It was interesting and I was asked about GUI testing. Spoke about data validation and my understanding of Web site. I mentioned about my study in computer science and programming languages I've learned

Interview Questions
    • There were not many questions asked. It was very brief and simple. The manager asked me about data validation and how it worked. I knew how to answer the question as I worked on a website with data validation   Answer Question

SAT Teacher Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Princeton Review.

Initial meet up then you do a 5 minute presentation on a subject unrelated to academics. They are more interested in your ability to present than the substance itself.

Interview Questions
    • Be calm and do not let the other presenters get the best of oyu.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable.

SAT Teacher Interview

First, a skills test was given. Next, a brief phone introduction took place. The representative talked about salary, next steps, basic job description, etc. The interview question was provided during this introduction. We were asked to teach a topic in approximately five to ten minutes. Communication with Princeton Review was curt.