Princeton University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Princeton, NJ

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Princeton University.

Interview Details – Typical interview with the head of the lab and the lab members. You give a presentation in the morning, meet with 4-5 lab members individually, go out to lunch and conclude with a meeting with the boss. An offer can them be given in person by the end of the day or you may be told you will be contacted shortly.

Interview Question – Why would you like to work in my lab?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Princeton, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Princeton University.

Interview Details – Jobs for students are posted on the Student Employment Website. I submitted a resume and cover letter, followed by a short 20 minute interview about my resume. I worked for a politics professor and was able to work about 8 hours per week, whenever I wanted. We met once a week to discuss my research progress, and I self-reported hours into the payroll system.

Interview Question – Questions were not difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Salary had been posted on the job site already.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Princeton, NJ

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Princeton University in June 2012.

Interview Details – Contact with professor via email, first step: recommendation letters, second step: skype interview. Received Job offer immediately.

Interview Question – We talked about details on my research.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible.

Postodc Interview

Postodc
Princeton, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Princeton University in May 2009.

Interview Details – standard postdoc interview drill. good papers and manners and you are in.

Negotiation Details – we will let u be part princeton cult. u shud work for free and feed on ur passion for science, but nih says we should give u 30k a year, we being generous will give you 35k a year. now go and publish papers.

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
Princeton, NJ

I interviewed at Princeton University in April 2009.

Interview Details – Applied through normal process and got an admit from Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Princeton University, Princeton, NJ

Interview Question – Not very many unexpected questions   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Princeton, NJ

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Princeton University.

Interview Details – A junior staff member gave me a tour of the office. She was very nice and geared the tour towards the position's responsibilities. The interview followed with the senior staff. The questions were basic but detailed. The interview took about 60 minutes.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions such as "What would you do in certain situations." They wanted very detailed responses.   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Princeton, NJ

Interview Details – Resume sent online, phone call, brief chat, loooong 2 hour interview with Staffing HR, Department Manager, another manager, and 3 other Administrative Staff. Was pretty stuffy with HR and DM - but other staff more friendly. Got the feeling some tension within the team.

Interview Question – Not so difficult, but recurring question regarding "how do you handle difficult personalities?"
A lot of "behavioral" type questions.
  Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Princeton Junction, Mercer, NJ

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Princeton University in June 2008.

Interview Details – Phone interview, resume sent, nice people very nice work environment. Lots of interactions and very fun place to be great town and close to NY very smart people all around many einsteins everywhere with long beards. really enjoy the place and think of smart people best for future progress and greatest school in country

Interview Question – what is your name   View Answer

Librarian Interview

Librarian
Princeton, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Princeton University in April 2009.

Interview Details – The interview for this position was an entire day with meetings scheduled with different individuals and with various groups. In addition, I had to give a presentation that was open to all staff.
Most of the day went well. I met with the University Librarian, with the person to whom I would report, with some faculty members, and with various other staff and librarians with whom I would work or interact. A very grueling day.

While most of the people were professional and seemed to want to give a good impression of the workplace, there were a few staff members in particular who were almost belligerent in the way in which they asked questions or addressed me. I understand the need to give a real perception of the workplace, but this was a little too real and I would not want to have to work with people such as those. The job may be at Princeton University, but it seems they have some internal housecleaning to do before they can expect to attract some qualified people.

Interview Question – How would you change your teaching style for a different audience (graduate vs undergraduate student or faculty)?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined the offer because of the profoundly negative experience I had with some of the staff members who currently work at the Library. In fact, I withdrew my candidacy at the end of the interview day. The interview process/structure itself was fine but the people are not necessarily so.

Worked for Princeton University? Contribute to the Community!