Principal Financial Group Interview Questions in Des Moines, IA

2.7

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Analyst Vt Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online - interviewed at Principal Financial Group in June 2014.

1st round interview asked working experience and academic background, example of dealing with new environment, ability of working with Micro office software. Other questions were quite common, normal behavior questions.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Principal Financial Group.

Applied Online, got a call to set up a time for a phone interview.
    On the day of the interview, got a call a couple of hours back asking to reschedule.
    It was a behavioral interview, questions asking to describe strengths, weakness, what you know about the company etc, why you would be a good fit etc.
    Followed up after a couple of weeks, got a response after a month saying that they had decided to go ahead with another candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral Interview, questions asking to describe strengths, weakness, what you know about the company etc, why you would be a good fit etc.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Principal Financial Group in November 2013.

The interview process was good! there was a lot of behavior questions and your leadership skills questions and what you involve on campus and outside of class.

Business Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Principal Financial Group in December 2013.

I saw Principal's posting on my schools job boards. I applied there and received an email from a recruiter. We set up a first interview, and it was via phone. The recruiter was great, made me feel very comfortable and it was conversational. Some behavioral questions but mostly just talking. After that I was set to schedule interviews with team members I may be working with. They were weeks later though. I had two, thirty minute phone interviews, each with two Principal employees. These were more behavioral, asked me about my technical background, but still enjoyable. I received an offer a few days later. Was a bit apprehensive because I did not get to visit the company. All of my interviews were on the phone. Principal does not bring in candidates who are too far, and I felt I didn't get a chance to really get to know the company. Definitely would have liked to visit and see the office.

Interview Questions

Did not get to visit the office. Des Moines probably isn't my ideal location to spend a summer as a young professional either.

Fixed Income Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Principal Financial Group in January 2013.

Started with an investment analysis on a company they chose. Mainly a fundamental breakdown of the industry/company. Then valuation, I used a DCF and P/E relative value valuation. Be prepared to explain every part of your model especially if you use a DCF as they will really drive you into getting specific. The analysis is used a pre-screening tool for HR who will flag the one's that look the best. If you are flagged you will get a call from HR which will begin your first phone interview.

My phone interview was very simple and straightforward. The HR rep was very conversational and nice, and did most of the talking. They will explain each team that make up fixed income and what they do. They'll ask about your background, resume, why fixed income, etc. nothing out of the ordinary.

Second round was on site. It was four, 2 on 1 interviews roughly 30 mins each. Two people from each team will interview you. Mainly behavioral questions, along with explaining your analysis, in depth, which then brought upon technical questions, and even a few brain teasers. Everyone in Fixed Income is very intelligent as the majority of the floor has their CFA and MBA, yet they don't expect you to have any prior knowledge of Fixed Income investing so prepare questions for them. Everyone that interviewed me was friendly and did not make me feel uncomfortable in anyway, if you understand your analysis and could put together a story regarding your thesis and overall recommendation you'll be golden.

Know they company that they assign you to do the analysis on! They will drive deep into your knowledge surrounding the company as a whole, for example if the company recently made an acquisition it would more than likely be a good idea to know how that acquisition was financed. Things like that will make you stand out.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for an internship

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Principal Financial Group in November 2012.

Had two phone interviews. The first was a general HR interview asking basic questions about projects I had completed in school. The second phone interview I spoke with numerous managers in different roles of the company. They really focused on making sure you got to do what you were interested in rather than just putting you wherever they needed you.

Communications Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Principal Financial Group in July 2012.

Know someone before going through the HR process, or you probably won't make it past the HR interview. They don't fully understand the business unit's needs, and try to weed out candidates in an uninformed manner.

Interview Questions
    • If you were an animal, what animal would you be?   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Principal Financial Group in January 2012.

General phone interview to qualify you. then meet with hiring managers and do a very typical interview.

Interview Questions
    It was ok. Completely low balled. Negotiated better base and got a signing bonus.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Principal Financial Group in September 2012.

The hiring process went real smooth, especially given the size and popularity of the company. I met with the hiring manager and one of her trusted senior team members. They were very easy going and made me feel at ease. Even though I did not have all the experience the position required to the letter of the requirements, they chose to continue with the interview and gave me a fair shot at it.

Interview Questions
    • There was really none that was difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. I was out of a job and did not have room to negotiate.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Principal Financial Group in December 2011.

First interview was over the phone with an HR representative. This interview consisted of questions about my resume and my interest in the position. About two weeks later I received an invitation to interview at the Principal Financial Group's campus in downtown Des Moines, IA

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult situation (i.e. project teams at school).   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation for internships.

Worked for Principal Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!