Principal Financial Group

2.8

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online – interviewed at Principal Financial Group in November 2014.

Initial and follow-up communications with HR were very professional and helpful. He seemed to really care about my future at the company. I was contacted about one week after I applied and the interview was scheduled for the next week. The interview itself was fairly informal (it is an intern position ) and they did a lot of the talking, but I left feeling like I'd like to join the team.

Interview Questions
    • Questions concerning specific challenging client relations.   Answer Question

ITApplications Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Principal Financial Group in October 2014.

Currently I am a third year obtaining my Bachelors in Computer Systems Engineering studying out of state. I Applied online for the summer IT intern program. Principal's response time was extremely prompt throughout the entire process, and they quickly set up a phone call with an HR representative that was my point of contact throughout the entire interview process. The interview process consisted of two main parts. The first was a 30 minute conversation with the HR representative. The second portion of the interview process was a phone conference call. During this second phone interview, Principal took time to discuss exactly what the internship entailed. Additionally, this phone call consisted of two conference style calls with 4 different representatives. During these interviews the following professionals within their respective fields asked various behavioral questions and specific details about school projects as well as personal projects that I had completed over the previous years. I was happy and eager to talk about some personal projects I had completed within android development. A week after my conference calls, I heard back that I had received an internship position for the position I applied in application development.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not difficult and followed the guidelines of the numerous IT interview I have completed. The large majority of the questions were not techinical. If possible it would behove applicants to review code from previous projects so that one can talk about specific programming details and experiences.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation associated with internship positions.

Leadership Development Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Principal Financial Group in September 2014.

They reached out to me immediately after applying. I met with one of the HR people and someone of the program. They were absolutely amazing and welcoming. It was a really warm experience. Keep your resume in front of you because there was a lot of behavioral questions concerning my resume.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me salary in the first interview! This completely shocked me because you have no idea what you will be expected to do, so you can't even put a price on your work yet. It seemed a bit predatory seeing they knew I was early in the job process.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Vt Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online – interviewed at Principal Financial Group in June 2014.

1st round interview asked working experience and academic background, example of dealing with new environment, ability of working with Micro office software. Other questions were quite common, normal behavior questions.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Principal Financial Group.

Applied Online, got a call to set up a time for a phone interview.
    On the day of the interview, got a call a couple of hours back asking to reschedule.
    It was a behavioral interview, questions asking to describe strengths, weakness, what you know about the company etc, why you would be a good fit etc.
    Followed up after a couple of weeks, got a response after a month saying that they had decided to go ahead with another candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral Interview, questions asking to describe strengths, weakness, what you know about the company etc, why you would be a good fit etc.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Principal Financial Group in December 2013.

I saw Principal's posting on my schools job boards. I applied there and received an email from a recruiter. We set up a first interview, and it was via phone. The recruiter was great, made me feel very comfortable and it was conversational. Some behavioral questions but mostly just talking. After that I was set to schedule interviews with team members I may be working with. They were weeks later though. I had two, thirty minute phone interviews, each with two Principal employees. These were more behavioral, asked me about my technical background, but still enjoyable. I received an offer a few days later. Was a bit apprehensive because I did not get to visit the company. All of my interviews were on the phone. Principal does not bring in candidates who are too far, and I felt I didn't get a chance to really get to know the company. Definitely would have liked to visit and see the office.

Interview Questions

Did not get to visit the office. Des Moines probably isn't my ideal location to spend a summer as a young professional either.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Principal Financial Group in November 2013.

The interview process was good! there was a lot of behavior questions and your leadership skills questions and what you involve on campus and outside of class.

Fixed Income Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Principal Financial Group in January 2013.

Started with an investment analysis on a company they chose. Mainly a fundamental breakdown of the industry/company. Then valuation, I used a DCF and P/E relative value valuation. Be prepared to explain every part of your model especially if you use a DCF as they will really drive you into getting specific. The analysis is used a pre-screening tool for HR who will flag the one's that look the best. If you are flagged you will get a call from HR which will begin your first phone interview.

My phone interview was very simple and straightforward. The HR rep was very conversational and nice, and did most of the talking. They will explain each team that make up fixed income and what they do. They'll ask about your background, resume, why fixed income, etc. nothing out of the ordinary.

Second round was on site. It was four, 2 on 1 interviews roughly 30 mins each. Two people from each team will interview you. Mainly behavioral questions, along with explaining your analysis, in depth, which then brought upon technical questions, and even a few brain teasers. Everyone in Fixed Income is very intelligent as the majority of the floor has their CFA and MBA, yet they don't expect you to have any prior knowledge of Fixed Income investing so prepare questions for them. Everyone that interviewed me was friendly and did not make me feel uncomfortable in anyway, if you understand your analysis and could put together a story regarding your thesis and overall recommendation you'll be golden.

Know they company that they assign you to do the analysis on! They will drive deep into your knowledge surrounding the company as a whole, for example if the company recently made an acquisition it would more than likely be a good idea to know how that acquisition was financed. Things like that will make you stand out.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for an internship

LDP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

Called me in early October to set up an in person HR Interview. After the HR interview I was informed in late October that I had made it to the final round (2 day super-day). First night was just mingling with current members of the program and the selection committee. Day two was a campus tour and interviews with the selection committee.

Salary is set.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Principal Financial Group in November 2012.

Had two phone interviews. The first was a general HR interview asking basic questions about projects I had completed in school. The second phone interview I spoke with numerous managers in different roles of the company. They really focused on making sure you got to do what you were interested in rather than just putting you wherever they needed you.