Principal Financial Group

Updated Jan 15, 2015
Updated Jan 15, 2015

2.8

IT Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Principal Financial Group.

I met with them at a booth at my university's career fair. I was asked for an in-person interview the next day. There were three interviewers. Two were from HR and one was a technical interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not very technical. More just to get to know who they were interviewing.   Answer Question

Underwriter Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Principal Financial Group.

Initial interview with Human Resources and second interview with panel. All were friendly, but misleading on their interest. Took almost three months to receive a "no thanks" reply. Seemed disorganized on the number of available positions.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online – interviewed at Principal Financial Group in November 2014.

Initial and follow-up communications with HR were very professional and helpful. He seemed to really care about my future at the company. I was contacted about one week after I applied and the interview was scheduled for the next week. The interview itself was fairly informal (it is an intern position ) and they did a lot of the talking, but I left feeling like I'd like to join the team.

Interview Questions
    • Questions concerning specific challenging client relations.   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Principal Financial Group.

Initial phone interview with hiring manager, basic behavior/personality questions. Brought in for an in person, then had to do project 100. Pretty standard for this type of position, explain who you know and think you could sell to.

Interview Questions
    Not much negotiating room.

Sales and Service Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Principal Financial Group in October 2014.

Standard interview. Asked personality questions and my history at work and school. First two interviews were over the phone and the third was in-person. Had to give a 10 min. presentation and evaluate myself on how I did in the presentation.

none

ITApplications Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Principal Financial Group in October 2014.

Currently I am a third year obtaining my Bachelors in Computer Systems Engineering studying out of state. I Applied online for the summer IT intern program. Principal's response time was extremely prompt throughout the entire process, and they quickly set up a phone call with an HR representative that was my point of contact throughout the entire interview process. The interview process consisted of two main parts. The first was a 30 minute conversation with the HR representative. The second portion of the interview process was a phone conference call. During this second phone interview, Principal took time to discuss exactly what the internship entailed. Additionally, this phone call consisted of two conference style calls with 4 different representatives. During these interviews the following professionals within their respective fields asked various behavioral questions and specific details about school projects as well as personal projects that I had completed over the previous years. I was happy and eager to talk about some personal projects I had completed within android development. A week after my conference calls, I heard back that I had received an internship position for the position I applied in application development.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not difficult and followed the guidelines of the numerous IT interview I have completed. The large majority of the questions were not techinical. If possible it would behove applicants to review code from previous projects so that one can talk about specific programming details and experiences.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation associated with internship positions.

Leadership Development Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Principal Financial Group.

No email, only phone calls. They were last minute with their interview scheduling, but the interview was well done and professional. There were two people asking questions, but the questions were mainly asked by the recruiter. Nothing was particularly notable, and this was just a screening call more or less.

Interview Questions
    • Very general questions, most of them were pertaining to personal experiences. A specific one was to talk about a personal mistake.   Answer Question

IT Interview

Phone interview was about 30 min. It was over basic information such as school work. What was my most difficult project. Asked how much I wanted to make as an intern. What my GPA currently was. A few behavior questions and leadership questions. I am currently on to the next step of the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • The only technical question was what was my most difficult assignment that I didn't understand   Answer Question

Leadership Development Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Principal Financial Group in September 2014.

They reached out to me immediately after applying. I met with one of the HR people and someone of the program. They were absolutely amazing and welcoming. It was a really warm experience. Keep your resume in front of you because there was a lot of behavioral questions concerning my resume.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me salary in the first interview! This completely shocked me because you have no idea what you will be expected to do, so you can't even put a price on your work yet. It seemed a bit predatory seeing they knew I was early in the job process.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Principal Financial Group.

I sent Principal Financial Group my resume while searching for summer internships and was called back within a week. There was a 0.5-1 hour phone interview and 2 in person interviews in Des Moines. The phone interview was about class projects, personal goals and how I interact with others. The two interviews at the Principal were with leaders of each IT division I had the most interest in. They both asked questions about how I approached problems and my past work. There was no written code.

Interview Questions
    • What was a situation that I have had to compromise and describe the outcome?   Answer Question