Principal Financial Group Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014
Updated Oct 22, 2014

2.8

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Principal Financial Group.

Initial phone interview with hiring manager, basic behavior/personality questions. Brought in for an in person, then had to do project 100. Pretty standard for this type of position, explain who you know and think you could sell to.

Interview Questions
    Not much negotiating room.

Sales and Service Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Principal Financial Group in October 2014.

Standard interview. Asked personality questions and my history at work and school. First two interviews were over the phone and the third was in-person. Had to give a 10 min. presentation and evaluate myself on how I did in the presentation.

none

Leadership Development Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Principal Financial Group.

No email, only phone calls. They were last minute with their interview scheduling, but the interview was well done and professional. There were two people asking questions, but the questions were mainly asked by the recruiter. Nothing was particularly notable, and this was just a screening call more or less.

Interview Questions
    • Very general questions, most of them were pertaining to personal experiences. A specific one was to talk about a personal mistake.   Answer Question

IT Interview

Phone interview was about 30 min. It was over basic information such as school work. What was my most difficult project. Asked how much I wanted to make as an intern. What my GPA currently was. A few behavior questions and leadership questions. I am currently on to the next step of the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • The only technical question was what was my most difficult assignment that I didn't understand   Answer Question

Leadership Development Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Principal Financial Group in September 2014.

They reached out to me immediately after applying. I met with one of the HR people and someone of the program. They were absolutely amazing and welcoming. It was a really warm experience. Keep your resume in front of you because there was a lot of behavioral questions concerning my resume.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me salary in the first interview! This completely shocked me because you have no idea what you will be expected to do, so you can't even put a price on your work yet. It seemed a bit predatory seeing they knew I was early in the job process.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Principal Financial Group.

I sent Principal Financial Group my resume while searching for summer internships and was called back within a week. There was a 0.5-1 hour phone interview and 2 in person interviews in Des Moines. The phone interview was about class projects, personal goals and how I interact with others. The two interviews at the Principal were with leaders of each IT division I had the most interest in. They both asked questions about how I approached problems and my past work. There was no written code.

Interview Questions
    • What was a situation that I have had to compromise and describe the outcome?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Principal Financial Group.

Interviewed for their summer technology program. Interview was over the phone, asked general questions like my skills, toughest challenges, resume specifics, etc. Nothing really that difficult, and it was very non-technical. Didn't get to another round of interviews, don't know how technical they get.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about my extracurricular activities which I wasn't really expecting.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Vt Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online – interviewed at Principal Financial Group in June 2014.

1st round interview asked working experience and academic background, example of dealing with new environment, ability of working with Micro office software. Other questions were quite common, normal behavior questions.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Principal Financial Group.

Applied Online, got a call to set up a time for a phone interview.
    On the day of the interview, got a call a couple of hours back asking to reschedule.
    It was a behavioral interview, questions asking to describe strengths, weakness, what you know about the company etc, why you would be a good fit etc.
    Followed up after a couple of weeks, got a response after a month saying that they had decided to go ahead with another candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral Interview, questions asking to describe strengths, weakness, what you know about the company etc, why you would be a good fit etc.   Answer Question

Helpdesk Technician Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Principal Financial Group.

I had one in-person interview. It was with the supervisor and the assistant manager. They were both wonderful people and made the interview easy!! They had a mix of technical and behavior questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where there was a conflict at work and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question