Principal Financial Group

50 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Principal Financial Group.

Interview Details – Interviewed for their summer technology program. Interview was over the phone, asked general questions like my skills, toughest challenges, resume specifics, etc. Nothing really that difficult, and it was very non-technical. Didn't get to another round of interviews, don't know how technical they get.

Interview Question – They asked about my extracurricular activities which I wasn't really expecting.   Answer Question

Equity Research Associate Interview

Equity Research Associate
Des Moines, IA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Principal Financial Group.

Interview Details – Applied Online, got a call to set up a time for a phone interview.
On the day of the interview, got a call a couple of hours back asking to reschedule.
It was a behavioral interview, questions asking to describe strengths, weakness, what you know about the company etc, why you would be a good fit etc.
Followed up after a couple of weeks, got a response after a month saying that they had decided to go ahead with another candidate.

Interview Question – Behavioral Interview, questions asking to describe strengths, weakness, what you know about the company etc, why you would be a good fit etc.   Answer Question

Helpdesk Technician Interview

Helpdesk Technician

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at Principal Financial Group.

Interview Details – I had one in-person interview. It was with the supervisor and the assistant manager. They were both wonderful people and made the interview easy!! They had a mix of technical and behavior questions.

Interview Question – Describe a time where there was a conflict at work and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Principal Financial Group in November 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was great. They are really flexible and willing to work with you to make sure your interview happens. The interview questions were pretty standard, and I felt like I did not answer them thoroughly, yet I still received a position. Both interviewers were very friendly and remembered me when I came to work at the company.

Interview Question – All of the questions were pretty standard; interns really aren't grilled that hard   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Interns have a set pay rate, which cannot be negotiated

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Des Moines, IA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Principal Financial Group in November 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was good! there was a lot of behavior questions and your leadership skills questions and what you involve on campus and outside of class.

Interview Question – What have you done non-academic that you're proud of?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Intern Interview

Business Analyst Intern
Des Moines, IA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Principal Financial Group in December 2013.

Interview Details – I saw Principal's posting on my schools job boards. I applied there and received an email from a recruiter. We set up a first interview, and it was via phone. The recruiter was great, made me feel very comfortable and it was conversational. Some behavioral questions but mostly just talking. After that I was set to schedule interviews with team members I may be working with. They were weeks later though. I had two, thirty minute phone interviews, each with two Principal employees. These were more behavioral, asked me about my technical background, but still enjoyable. I received an offer a few days later. Was a bit apprehensive because I did not get to visit the company. All of my interviews were on the phone. Principal does not bring in candidates who are too far, and I felt I didn't get a chance to really get to know the company. Definitely would have liked to visit and see the office.

Interview Question – Behavioral   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Did not get to visit the office. Des Moines probably isn't my ideal location to spend a summer as a young professional either.

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Principal Financial Group.

Interview Details – Referred by existing advisor. 2 interviews. Basic question about network, selling style, personality etc.

Individual Investor Specialist I Interview

Individual Investor Specialist I

Interview Details – Phone then in-person interview. Tour of building and explanation of different roles in department. Two assistant managers asked interview questions and trainer gave tour.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time where you had to tell a customer something you knew they didn't want to hear.   Answer Question

Financial Representative - South Florida Office Interview

Financial Representative - South Florida Office
Miramar, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Principal Financial Group in November 2013.

Interview Details – I received this interview by being referred directly by someone within the company who wanted me to work with them and grow their book of business while splitting commissions.

Initial Interview was pushed back over a week as the person interviewing me got busy with clients. Then, when I went to meet with her the second time, I actually met with someone else.. Interview went fine and lasted an hour and 45 minutes. Interviewer said thank you, and stated I would definitely be hearing from their scheduler to set a time for the second interview.

After 2 days went by, I received a call back from the person whom interviewed me. Stammering, they informed me that they were misinformed and presumptuous about being able to take on new staff that did not have a book of business or experience in the field. Oddly, even though i referred by someone from with the company, they continued to explain how that they did not have resources to allocate towards training such an individual now or anytime in the next few quarters.

Sales Support Interview

Sales Support

Interview Details – I was referred by someone within the company to work directly with him so my interview was likely less rigorous than most. I first spoke to someone from HR over the phone about general job history, then met for lunch with my would-be boss, and the person who referred me. I got a call with an offer a couple days later.

Interview Question – What is your current salary? - asked by HR   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Principal Financial Group

Worked for Principal Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Principal Financial Group interview questions and advice. All 50 interview reviews posted anonymously by Principal Financial Group employees and interview candidates.