Procter & Gamble

Updated Dec 10, 2014

3.8

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Business Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Procter & Gamble in October 2014.

P&G prides itself on being an extremely tough company in regards to its hiring practices. After submitting an application, you are immediately prompted to take a portion of their reasoning test. According to their hiring managers, the reasoning test eliminates a significant portion of their candidates. The Customer Business Development Internship this year had 1800 applicants and 83 of us were invited to the Global Headquarters in Cincinnati for the final round.

As mentioned above, you will first submit and application that includes both your resume and cover letter. Upon submission of your application, you will then take the logic portion of their reasoning test. I suggest before taking it, you take the practice version that P&G provides on their website. It is extremely helpful. If you are invited to the phone interview next, please familiarize yourself with the CAR method of interviewing. This is how all of the subsequent interviews are structured so get prepared early. The questions are straightforward; however, I recommend that you list out examples before the interview so you have things to pull from.

Next, this comes the fun part! You get invited to the Customer Business Development Internship Conference at the P&G Headquarters in Cincinnati. All expenses are paid and the company is extremely hospitable from the time you arrive. You will get to meet the other candidates as well as P&G executives. The first thing you will do is take the full reasoning test. Once again, familiarize yourself with the format with the practice test on the P&G website. I thought the test onsite was much harder than the version on the website, especially the math portion. Next, you can breathe a little as you will go on a company tour and just learn a little bit more about the company. The next day you will do your final interview and have a farewell lunch. They say you will hear back in two weeks, but I heard back in 3 days.

Following acceptance of the internship, you must then submit to a background check and a drug test. These are both time sensitive tasks and upon passing both, you will submit to a medical evaluation. Those are your only pre-hire contingencies and afterwards you are officially an intern.

Overall, it is a long process, but well worth it. The company has a wonderful attitude and they stress choosing them, not them choosing you. It was an amazing experience and I was fortunate enough to receive an offer. I am extremely excited to begin my position this upcoming May! I encourage everyone to at least apply because whether you receive it or not, it is a great opportunity.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about a time when you had to work with limited resources to accomplish a goal.   Answer Question
There wasn't an opportunity to negotiate because it was an internship offer.

Other Interview Reviews for Procter & Gamble

Customer Business Development Interview

The whole process took 3 weeks from start to finish. The interview was all behavior based questions. I think I lost the job only because the other girl knew someone that worked there.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to make a quick decision.   Answer Question

Customer Business Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Procter & Gamble.

Online application process is tedious but used appropriately. After you pass the online exam and submission a phone interview follows. Next is an in person interview and then a final "marathon" interview at P&G with 4 to 5 people lasting upwards of 6 hours. The whole process takes about 3 months.

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Procter & Gamble in November 2012.

The intern interview process for CBD is three rounds - the first being an assessment and initial resume screen, the second is a phone interview, and third is a trip to headquarters in Cincinnati for a final assessment and panel interview. Unfortunately this company puts a LOT of emphasis on the assessment that they give you. The assessment tests tests your mathematical skills and logical reasoning. Part of the assessment contains shapes for you to identify as part of a pattern, while the logical section gives you passages to read and asks you to determine what the best answer is. This intern role is essentially a "sales" role. Therefore, you might expect the company to want to hear your verbal reasoning and communication skills, but that is not the case. The assessment takes place on paper - no form of communication or verbal reasoning skills necessary.

Before the third round interview I was very impressed with P&G. Now I'm not so sure. This corporate giant is slow moving and doesn't do a great job of making sure that everyone is on the same page. However, they did reiterate a number of times that you'll be moving a lot and you really don't have a say to where that will be.

Interview Questions
    • What's the biggest short term adjustment you've had to make and how did you apply that to a long term adjustment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Procter & Gamble in October 2012.

Logic Test was straightforward. Phone interview was very friendly and conversational.

At P&G HQ there was a very cult-like feel for everyone who worked there. Everyone seemed mindlessly in love with their job, which I suppose is great for job happiness. The final interview was pretty difficult, a couple curveball questions.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when you lost something and how you overcame it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Procter & Gamble in December 2011.

I applied online in August and then in October got contacted about a phone interview which I had in November, which lasted about an hour, and then I got invited to a conference in Cincinnati. The first day they just tell you about the company and the second day you take a test and get interviewed (all behavioral) by 2 current employees.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when others used you as a resource because of your expertise.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for internships or starting full-time.

Customer Business Development Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Procter & Gamble.

Interview and hiring process is quite extensive. First step was to submit application, write a logical reasoning test, and a personality test. If you did well on the first, you were invited in for another test with 3 components: problem solving, comprehension, and logical reasoning. Interviews were awarded after that.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time when you had to take a new perspective on something and what results did it lead to?   Answer Question

Customer Business Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Procter & Gamble.

One numerical/logical and one behavioural test,
    3 interviews with people from different departments,
    The country manager took part in the last interview.
    People were very calm and did not add any extra stress as usually did on other interviews as IBDs' ones

Not much space for negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Procter & Gamble in November 2014.

Applied online, wrote a test on campus, did a Skype interview.

Interviewed by 2 mid level people at the company who had been there about 10 years on average. They asked pretty typical questions about times when you showed leadership, analyzed data.

They expected longer and very detailed responses to be prepared in advance for some of the questions as they sent us general question topics beforehand

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Procter & Gamble in November 2014.

Process is three fold. Took about 2 months overall.
    1. Apply online
    2. Take Logic/Reasoning Test online
    2. If you pass the online one, take the one in person
    3. First Round Interview & if you pass, second round interview with Senior Leaders of the company

Applied online in last week of September, did the reasoning test online at the same time. Didn't hear back for a long time until October/November letting me know that I had been shortlisted for the CBD Internship. Got asked to come in and write a 60 minute, 45 question based Logic Reasoning test. Found it harder than the online one because it felt rushed and you have a lot less time as opposed to the one online.
    Test is broken into 3 segments -> Math, Paragraph Logic, Shapes (I found this the hardest)
    Passed the test, had my first round interview a couple days after

First Round took place on campus and consisted of around 7-8 questions, all behavioural questions. They tend to probe if they don't understand something the first time you answer it.
    Follow the CAR model (Context, Action & Result). Focus more on AR
    Prepare for a lot of Tell me about a time.....
    - Analyzed data
    - Dealt with conflict
    - Took initiative/did something entrepreneurial
    I made a matrix of the questions and answers and found that this really worked for me!
    Interviewers also ask questions from a sheet of paper which has the questions broken down by the 3 Success Drivers - Power of Minds, Power of People & Power of Agility
    Interview lasted about 45 minutes. Left feeling a bit confused but overall, great experience. Admirable interviewers, very welcoming and good environment!

Got shortlisted for second round too, they took me out for lunch and then had an interview with 2 senior leaders at their head office, both who had worked at P&G for 25+ years
    The Lunch was amazing, really made me feel at home and put me in a very good and comfortable mood for the interview
    The interview was a great experience! Enjoyed it even more than the first round interview. Left the interview feeling very good but at the same time a little confused. I was under the impression that they would probe more into the questions I answered in the first round but there was no correlation whatsoever. Instead, I was asked around 13-14 questions and it lasted about an hour and 20 minutes.
    Heard back within 2 business days. Didn't get the offer unfortunately because of the fact that the position I applied for didn't suit me but I was a good fit for a P&G.
    Left a bitter taste in my mouth because I was under the impression that P&G hires the person and not the position....
    When followed up for feedback, telling me that I ranked very highly and would have made the cut if I applied for a different position wasn't the best thing to hear after a rejection.

Received good feedback overall and would definitely recommend applying! Their interviews are a great learning experience!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you received data from conflicting sources and found a solution or recommendation   Answer Question