Procter & Gamble Researcher Interview Questions

Updated Aug 6, 2014

3.2

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Procter & Gamble.

Date: October - January 2009 (during junior year of
Role: Intern, Researcher
Area: Baby Care, P&G, Research & Development

Process:
Apply online & online screening tests: One is a behavioral/personality test to ensure you have the P&G values /cultural fit they seek and another is a reasoning test that includes math, logic and geo-spatial questions. I do not remember the questions on these online tests, but do take them seriously as you have to pass the online test in order to be hired at P&G.
Submit resume- P&G comes to my school to actively recruit. I submitted my resume to a P&G employee who had come to my college to recruit because I had missed the school deadline.
Email from interviewer/recruiting manager- A few weeks later, I was contacted by the hiring manager who had told me to call him if I was interested in the opportunity.
Phone interview with hiring manager- A day or two later, I talked with him over the phone, and he did most of the talking. He asked me a little about my background and my resume. Then he spent the rest of the interview talking about how P&G tends to interview their candidates, and the role at P&G (for a materials position). After the phone call, he told me that he'd like me to come in, and said that a recruiter would be in touch.
Schedule on-site interview with recruiter: 2-3 weeks later, a recruiter contacted me about available dates for me to interview in January (which worked out perfectly since I was in school at the time). She then sent me two (2) documents. One sheet detailed the CAR Interview technique, and the other provided a list of example behavioral questions that I might be asked.
On-site interview: Usually, a P&G employee, your day host will pick you up from the airport and treat you to dinner the night before. She will provide you with an interview schedule and answer any questions you might have. The actual interview day looks like this:
-7AM:- 60-min reasoning test (math, geo-spatial questions)- you MUST pass this test in order to get an offer. If the interviewers love you but you don't pass, you will not be offered a job.
-8AM-11AM: 3-4 interviews with another hiring manager and /or groups of managers. All questions are behavioral or related to your resume experience. They really want you to answer in the CAR technique so study it!
-1130-1: Either your day host or another peer will take you out to lunch with a few coworkers. This is usually fun, and the coworkers generally come because it's a company-paid lunch! During this time, the interviewers all sit in a room and talk about you and your fit with the company. They will decide whether or not to hire you during this time.
-130PM: Project discussion with another employee.
-230PM: If they choose to hire you, you will be given an offer on your interview day (exact time will depend). If you do not hear that day, you may still have a chance but it would indicate that they are unsure of headcount or unsure about you (have another candidate lined up). If you are given an offer, you will immediately be taken to Health Services for a drug screen (official offer is given via email and pending drug screen results).

This interview process was for an internship but it is the same for ALL candidates. PhD candidates are asked to do a presentation.

I think most people get screened out by the online tests.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a situation in which you were a member of a team with a specific goal. How did you reach your goal as a team? As an individual?   Answer Question
P&G doesn't usually negotiate salaries as all entry-level salaries for a particular position is standard. There may be some cases where you can negotiate higher but this is rare. Also, P&G is promote from within which means anyone hired externally starts entry-level.

Other Interview Reviews for Procter & Gamble

Researcher Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Procter & Gamble.

My interview was quick as I got a recommendation off my previous co-op

Interview Questions
    In this position P&g does not negotiate they were non receptive to negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 5+ months - interviewed at Procter & Gamble in February 2011.

The initial step was the online application. Immediately following this, I took a personality assessment which consisted of several hundred questions. After this, there was a quick reasoning test. Fairly straightforward, just pay attention. A month or two after that, I got a call about doing a phone interview. A few weeks later, I did the phone interview and aced it - it's very typical situational leadership/personality questions. A few weeks later, I got asked to come up for a day visit. At the day visit, I was given a more rigorous IQ type test followed by a panel interview with two senior scientists. Just be sure to nerd out and don't be afraid to go into excruciating detail into what you know. After that was a drug test and that's it. An offer was made that very day before I left.

Interview Questions
    • Explain one situation where you had to disobey your management to get something done.   Answer Question
    I didn't accept the offer on the spot because I wanted to negotiate. I was able to raise my offer by about $2k. It wasn't as high as I wanted, but I took it at that point. My advice is to start HIGH. The worst they can say is no, which if they do, you just come back down slowly. If you passed the hiring process, it means they want you, they think you'll be a valuable contribution to the company. Don't be afraid to push back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Procter & Gamble in September 2010.

I was contacted to come in for a day visit. The day visit consisted of a tour of the building, a test, an interview, and I was able to meet with some employees and ask questions about their experience.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part of the process was the interview. 3:1 is pretty intimidating.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online - interviewed at Procter & Gamble in May 2010.

The process I went through started by taking the online tests. It takes a while. After passing the tests, you can be contacted for a phone interview. I had a phone interview that was focused on asking me what I've done and what experiences I had. I then was told they wanted to do an in person interview. For the in person interview, there was a full day event. I was flown in and taken to dinner the night before. The following day I had to take the same online test in person. I went through a panel interview followed by a research plant tour. I was allowed to ask questions and was encouraged to. We went to lunch and did the process again. I had another tour and panel interview. In the end I was offered the full time position.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ohio, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ohio, IL

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Procter & Gamble in October 2008.

The person interviewing me did not have any idea of what my bachelor's degree consisted of. He was a Mechanical Engineer who kept asking questions about how would I apply my chemistry knowledge to the overall process of making baby products.
    Questions on the interview were assessing my capability to function as a leader and in groups.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of one time in which you had to take the lead of a group because one person had been directing it poorly.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Procter & Gamble in December 2007.

I applied online following the instructions set for a P&G Health and Beauty Colloquium, a three day event. I took my time answering the questions slowly. They were mostly personality questions, I figured, since they were of the "what would you do in this situation..." type. In answering these questions it really is important to logically consider what the employer would like to hear. Also I set up my CV and made it look as attractive as possible to upload to the site. No recommendations letters were necessary which was great.
    After I completed this questionnaire (45-60 questions), I waited a few weeks, and they invited me to the colloquium. Once there, they set us up in a great hotel, and we were informed that by being there we were all (about 50 people) potential employees as we had passed the initial test. We were taught all about the history, culture, and values of P&G, were given great food, and had actual employees sharing with us their time and work experience while asking about our interests. We were offered the chance to interview for a to become employees. This was a 30-35 min individual interview in which the interviewer asked about situations in which I had had to take some sort of stand or action. He was very nice, not intimidating at all, in fact the interview was quite relaxed, because they're just trying to get to know you, to see if you seem like a person that would work well in that environment. All the interviewer wants to hear in your response is mainly the circumstances, the action you took to resolve the issue, and the response to this action. After this, I was informed a few weeks later that they wanted to interview me again. The company flew me in to Cincinnati and I was interviewed in the morning by a panel of three employees, all very nice, with backgrounds similar to my interests, who asked me more questions about situations where I had made a difference. I was free to answer weather the situation was a job or social life one. This must have been about 45 min. The rest of the day I was set up to meet with other employees, to be taken on tours of the company grounds, and to be taught as much as possible about the company. The interviews and interviewers were very well organized, the environment was great, everyone seemed to be at home there. It made me feel very comfortable and greatly look forward to being accepted for a position at P&G. At the end of my interview day, around 3, they took me in for a final interview which turned out to be the job offer.
    In conclusion, the process consisted of an initial online test, an initial interview, and a third which might consist of a panel or one-on-ones. Overall the experience was great. All the interviewers were friendly, offered advice gladly, answered my questions, and gave me their card for future reference.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a situation in which you were wrong. What did you do to change this?   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at Procter & Gamble.

There are online tests, as well as a written test. After passing all 3, you will then be asked to come down for an interview. There will be another final round of interview which determines if you will be offered a position in the company. The duration of the entire process is very lengthy therefore you have to be prepared to wait.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared for situational questions, such as crisis management. Be sure to mention the results of your actions. Show that you take on ownership of projects/tasks.   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at Procter & Gamble in April 2014.

Online application through their website and a success drivers online assessment. This is followed by a reasoning test at their office. After which, the first round of interview was conducted by two section heads, one of whom was the hiring manager. In the second round of interview, it was a 1 to 1 interview with an associate director.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions asked by my interviewers were behavioral type questions. Examples of these can be found online.   View Answer
    Did not negotiate as I am a fresh graduate.

Researcher Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Procter & Gamble.

Phone call from HR to arrage the interview. One papaer test in the morning, three face to face interviews in the afternoon

Interview Questions

Worked for Procter & Gamble? Contribute to the Community!