Progress Energy Florida

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Customer Service II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clearwater, FL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clearwater, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progress Energy Florida in November 2012.

One week after I applied online and was referred by my brother-in-law who works there, I was given an interview call. They asked me why I wanted to leave my job, why I wanted to work for Progress Energy, and if I've worked in a call center before. The interviewer was very easy to talk to and get along with, and she offered me an opportunity to take an aptitude test. The test, I will say, is quite difficult. It's two-and-a-half hours long and you have to type at least 35 words per minute or it won't let you get past the first stage of the test. There is a 10 minute break in between. I did not take it because I just wanted to get it over with. It tests your ability to listen to customers with different accents and information that jumps all over the screen and they are testing your accuracy as well on that. It also tests your math-really tests your math, so brush up on that!
Depending on if you pass the test or not, you will or will not get a second interview. The 2nd interview is in front of 3 middle-aged ladies, very very sweet people may I add. They ask you all sorts of questions. One you will really need to take a breath, pause, and answer. Do not answer the first thing that comes to your mind. Make sure it is a good example that they're looking for. They asked me questions such as "We're going to do a bit of a role play here. I am a customer, my electricity has been turned off and I have two kids but cannot pay anything until Friday and today is Monday. I have been a faithful customer for 5 years, I have perfect credit, and I've always paid my bills on time every month. It is your choice now whether or not to turn my power on, what would you do?"
After the 2nd interview, they contacted me a week later by email telling me I've been offered the position and I need to complete a drug screening within 3 business days of accepting the offer. Also, a backround check needs to be completed within 3 business days as well.
After the drug screening is complete and negative and the backround check is done, you train for 10 weeks I believe paid.

Interview Questions
  • Two questions that took me by surprise, very tricky: "Name a rule or policy that you didn't agree with at your job that you had to enforce anyway. What was the policy and why didn't you agree with it?"   View Answer
  • "Name a time that you did not handle a customer in the right way. What happened and how would you do things differently?"   View Answer
No negotiation. 14.50 an hr!