Progress Software

Progress Software Interview Questions

Updated Feb 9, 2015
Updated Feb 9, 2015

BI Data Warehouse Architect Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Progress Software.

The interview panel consisted of 3 people. The interview was somewhat odd. One person was asking most of the question. And he didn't really want to understand what I was trying to answer. I guess I had to answer them the way he thinks. Based on his questions and reactions to mine, I felt he doesn't implement what he is talking about. But he knows things theoretically. For example, he told me that MERGE statement is a substitution for CDC in data logging in non-enterprise edition of SQL. And the way it was said was a bit odd, when he asked me how I implement data logging when no CDC is available, I suggested to build a logging tables (which I've done in the past) and he asked me with the smirk "Don't you know about merge?". And I said, no, they are 2 different things - one is for logging (CDC) and another is updating (MERGE). He (and the manager) ignored that.
    He asked me about how do I denormalize a highly normalized database (he said in 6th normal form - so this company is probably working with such complex databases). I said I would look into relationships between tables, to determine what are attributes and what are facts. But I couldn't elaborate as he just started talking over me. He asked can you have a fact table without numbers? And I said no you have to have numbers in the fact table. Some of them could be not facts, like invoice number. He said, again with smirk - that would be degenerate dimensions. Not sure what he meant? yes, that would be degenerate dimension but it is still a number that is IN the fact table. I don't know if he denormalized any databases before but if he did, the question is too broad and there is no one sentence answer.
    Then he asked me a SQL join question. What would be a result of SELECT * from A LEFT OUTER JOIN B on A.ID = B.ID where B.ID is null. A had 1,2,3,4,5,6 and B had 1,2,3,7,9. So I said the result is 4,5,6. One of the people said NO. So I have added results side by side and NULLs to show how I arrived. I was sure I was right. I was pretty nervous at this point. Then he changed the WHERE clause to A.ID is null. I said it will bring nothing. Based on his face I was wrong, so I've asked him - is it a right answer? He told me that I need to check it myself when I come back home from the interview. I am pretty sure it is right, there are no null values for A table.
    The way he asked questions I couldn't understand what exactly he wanted to know. He asked me what is the template for initial ETL package I would create. I frankly not sure what he meant. So I said I would have data sources and data flow task and in the data flow task placeholders for transformations for staging area, etc. I said it depends on the task. He was not in agreement and kind of moved on. When talking about data execution plan he has asked me what would slow down the query. My answer was indexes and subselects. Then he asked what is table scan and Index seek. The names by context offer the answer, right? But I was so nervous I wasn't able to answer it and that was in my opinion the only answer that I didn't have. That and "template" for the ETL.
    So yes, I have to admit, it was emotionally very hard, intense and somewhat humiliating interview. I wonder if it was a technique to see if I can work under pressure? Obviously I can not as they told me I am in between junior and mid-level on DW development and they need someone with better skills. I am somewhat relieved that I never have to work with them.

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Progress Software.

About 4 hours total. 30 Minutes per room with 1 to 4 people in each room asking questions. Some technical questions, some questions to feel you out as a person. They really want people who will fit in to the culture (which is more of a friendly atmosphere than a work atmosphere).

Interview Questions
    • Who was your least favorite teacher/professor ever? What would they tell me about you if I asked them about you?   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progress Software.

I applied online and I got a call from the HR. They scheduled a phone interview with the team lead. Strictly technical questions. Then they called me for onsite interview. I was interviewed with 3 people in the team. They asked technical and behavioral questions. It was an hour long interview. Then I had a half an hour interview with HR, Team manager and the director of the team individually. It was all behavioral questions. Then I met team lead for lunch. It was a good experience. I really the liked the team and the working environment.

Interview Questions
    • 1.Mostly Database queries and perl script
      2. How did you handle a difficult customer?

Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Progress Software.

Had 2 phone interviews. Called to go back to Progress Software for a interview round with 4 different company employees. Thought the interview went well, really personable and nice.

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progress Software.

I had 4 rounds of interview starting from pre-screening till salary negotiation by the hiring manager. The process was bit slow as the interviewing persons were very busy with their schedules. I understood it once I got into the team.

Interview Questions
    • Everything they asked were practical questions in lay man terms. I would not the interview was very difficult, but you need real experience to answer it.   Answer Question
    They are pretty reasonable and meet the industry standards

Software Engineer Entry Level Interview

HR phone interview then on site

QA Engineer Interview

3 hours interview, ask very basic questions about java and database and some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think their product can compete against those free products?Why do you think clients are willing to buy it?   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Progress Software.

Got contact directly by HR, phone screen, meeting type interview, another interview with managers, and week after I got offer

Interview Questions
    • Lost of open questions directly related to technical skills and enterprise support customer relationship and behavior.   View Answer
    Got offer along with sign up bonus. They were able, by the time, to accept a counter offer. They are flexible if possible.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Progress Software in February 2013.

It was a 3 hours interview. I went to the progress software in Morrisville. I thought interviewers will ask me to code. But actually, other than the questions about my resume and a few technical questions, they asked me many basic questions, such as describe yourself, what is your weakness. The people there were nice.

Interview Questions
    • what is the difference between computer science and computer engineering   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Progress Software in March 2011.

It was very slow and they never managed your expectations about the process...when they told me I was not the right fit they were pretty rude about the reason they didn't want me..poor taste