Progressive Insurance

Relevance Date Difficulty

Claims Customer Service Adjuster Interview

Claims Customer Service Adjuster
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for a job that was posted on Feb 28, and was contacted in the first week of March to take an online assessment of my skills and personality. I found out one day later, via email, that I had passed the assessment and would be contacted soon to set up a phone interview.

The following Monday (I found out about the exam on Friday) I was invited to set up an appointment for a phone interview. The cool thing about the phone interview schedule is that I was able to set it up for 7 AM (CST) -- this made it easy for me to participate in the phone interview without having to go in late to work or take an indeterminate amount of time for lunch.

I had the phone interview at the appointed time, and was given very positive feedback on the results. The format was a bit more informal than that of my in-person interview, which was conducted a few days later. This took a little over two hours, and I met with two managers who asked me a series of STAR format questions. It was sometimes a little difficult to gauge their reactions since they were busy writing down pretty much every word I said, but I was able to establish a rapport with each of them in turn.

My in-person interview was on a Tuesday, and I was contacted the following Thursday (March 20th) and told that Progressive was prepared to offer me the position. The only catch was that the hiring date was set at March 31st. This would not give me enough time to allow my current employer two weeks' notice before my departure, but the compensation was too good to pass up in lieu of not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings, so I accepted.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you have been given criticism by a supervisor that you did not agree with. How did you respond?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The starting wage was well beyond what I was previously making, and was advertised clearly in the job posting.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in February 2014.

Interview Details – 1) Fill out Application, 2) Pass Assessment Test, 3) Accept and Complete Phone Interview, 4) Complete HireRight Employment Verification Check, 5) Complete Progressive's Criminal Background Check, 6)Accept and Complete a Satisfactory 1-day On-Site Interview with 2 Separate Supervisors **Expect to answer questions related to 1 specific call**, 7) If Offered a Position, ACCEPT THE JOB!!!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were assisting a customer on a situation that changed the way you thought about the company.   View Answer
  • Tell me about a time when you failed to provide the correct solution for a customer. What did you did to correct the issue?   View Answer
  • How do you handle calls from customers that seem to be unsatisfied with everything offered?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – We negotiated on a schedule that would still work for me.

Customer Service Representative - Commercial Lines Interview

Customer Service Representative - Commercial Lines
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in February 2014.

Interview Details – Step 1: APPLYING: I want to start out by saying that I, like many others, applied at Progressive over and over,to no avail. So I gave up, and figured that they were just not looking for someone like me. Well, I kept seeing people that I knew get the job, and thought "No, Im just as good as them" So I got my resume together, put together a cover letter, along with a letter of recommendation from my supervisor, and put in another application... Which was denied. So I waited a few months and E-Mailed a recruiter the same information. Well eventually she read my email, and sent me back the assesment! I was so thrilled, that was the furthest I had gotten!

Step 2: ASSESMENT: Well, now that I finally got my chance to get my foot in the door at Progressive I was not going to slip up, so I researched the kind of assesments they use, found if online (a version of it at least) and studied it. They asked alot of common sense questions, time questions, and graphs. Small amounts of basic math, and reasoning. I was worried because, I kept hearing that there were alot of math questions, and seeing that others failed it, but it was actually VERY easy. Don't sweat it. About a day after the assesment, she emailed me saying that I would be contacted for a phone interview!

Step 3: PHONE INTERVIEW: Now this is where you need to get ready to really shine. There website has so much information about the job descriptions, company policies and work culture, you should use this to your advantage! Like many employers, they are going to interview you using the STAR method (Google it!). I cannot stress enough, use your resources. If you take the time out to get informaton about the company it looks really good! For my round of hiring, they outsourced Ranstdat to do the interviews. This may,or may not be an advantage, because the person isn't actually a recruiter for Progressive, but they are a professional recruiter. I did my interview early in the morning, truthfully because if my interviewer was a little groggy (which she was, she yawned during my interview) then I figured maybe she would give me a little less of a hard time, as someone who is alert would. After I finished my interview, I asked questions (as you always should) and wrapped up. I recieved a call from an actual Progressive recruiter about a day later, asking to set up and In-Person Interview.

Step 4: Here we are, the final step. Pretty much the same as the previous step, except your going to have to interview with two people. This was by far my favorite step. The interviewers that I had were extremely easy going, they let me know exactly how they were going to ask the question, and EXACTLY how they want it answered. They also had a segment where I had to sit with a tenured agent while she was taking calls. Some tips: Have a personality!, Smile, Take Notes, Ask Questions, and answer in STAR format. If you do this, and act like you have common sense, you will be fine. It took almost a week to get an answer.

Interview Question – What was a time that you made a mistake, and how did you correct it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. They pay pretty well so,I was satisfied.

Claims Customer Service Adjuster Interview

Claims Customer Service Adjuster
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – I applied online at Progressive on Jan. 30 and was emailed an invitation to complete an online assessment on Feb. 4th. I took the online assessment on Feb. 4th and was emailed result on Feb. 5th that I had passed the assessment and was invited to schedule a phone interview. I scheduled a phone interview for Feb. 20th and the interview went pretty well I thought, went over previous employment and interviewer went over position and what would be expected. After going over previous employment I was asked behavioral questions that were to be answered in STAR format. Afterwards she asked if I had any questions and after asking and she answered them, she said the interview was completed and I would be notified about a decision to move forward within a week. On Feb. 24th I received an email that I would not be moving forward with in person interviews.

Interview Question – Explain a situation where you had a difficult customer and how you dealt with the customer.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in October 2013.

Interview Details – STAR process

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer from better company

Claims Adjuster Interview

Claims Adjuster
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – Interview was long but no different from any other interview. Be sure to do some research on the company that will help you to assure a spot. They will conduct a phone interview first and if you are good to go they will conduct an in person interview.

Interview Question – Like I mentioned before research the company and see what they are about and benefits they provide you.   Answer Question

Senior Claims Representative Interview

Senior Claims Representative
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in September 2009.

Interview Details – Initially, had to go through 2 phone interviews, then interviewed with a team leader and a manager afterwards.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you had a difficult customer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, however, my offer was significantly delayed because they desperately wanted to verify that I had graduated from college so that I could get a whopping 50 cents more an hour.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in August 2012.

Interview Details – End of July: I apply online for Progressive via a recruiter. It was a pretty standard application. Nothing out of the ordinary. I forgot to put some things in my application and they were very quick to email me. From what they ask I take they want to see you with a good history of job stability, with at least a year of working with you latest employer. I was sent a link to take a series of assessment tests. The first part was a skills test that involves some simple math equations dealing with addition, subtraction, ratios, and the like. Other questions were more similar to the kind you would see on an IQ test. For example, looking at XYZ graph you can infer that [input observed trend]. Then there was a behavioral section. These questions were trying to determine how I would respond under certain situations dealing with peer pressure and stress in the work environment. There were some personality questions too. All in all I believe it took about an hour and a half maybe to complete. It was timed but they give you a few hours to complete it. I did not get an immediate response. But I was notified that I did pass the assessments.

Phone interview: The interviewer asked nothing but behavioral questions. Tell about a time when you couldn’t complete a task/had a disagreement/did something to increase your efficiency, aka STAR (situation/task/action/results) questions. I did a little research on how to answer these so I didn’t have too much trouble answering them in the format they want. My phone interviewer was very helpful and understanding. At the end of the phone interview I chatted with her for a bit, and she gave me some helpful tips. Although the phone interview is another pre-screen selection, it’s also a warm-up for how the face to face interviews are going to be conducted. They want you to be very specific and give real life situations. They want you to go into detail on what you did in each situation, listing step by step, and a detail of the results that lead to those steps. I tended to focus too much on the situation and not what I did about them, was the feedback I got at the end, but after answering a few I was getting the hang of it. After a few days I got a call saying I passed the phone interview and that they’ll begin the background check.

Face-to-face interview : He asks me basically the same type of questions the phone interviewer asked, all while taking notes. I was allowed to skip questions to think about and come back to them, but after answering so many behavioral questions he deemed he’d gotten what he wanted out of those questions. He asks if I have any questions. I inquire about his experiences and what he likes about the company. He has very good things to say and loves what he does. They whole interview takes about 30-40 minutes. I’m then taken to a current employee and was able to listen in on calls for about another 20 or so minutes. From what I can tell the people there are nice and easy going. So the manager/supervisor for the department I’ll be working in comes and gets me for his portion of the interview – and it’s the same questions. To be honest I can’t say it’s the same verbatim, but they are all starting to sound the same. I can tell though that some of the behavioral questions this time around were a little tailored for this department, concerning with how I deal under pressure, and when I come across things I didn’t know, and lot about dealing with unruly customers. After about another 40 minutes it was my turn to ask questions. We ended up talking about another 40-50 minutes about the jobs, likes, dislikes, perks, and anything else under the sun. Very nice guy. He gave me a detailed tour of the facility. I was told that tomorrow I would know if I got the job or not, that they would all get together and go over my file. Sure enough next day they offered me the job.

Final remarks: Overall I had a positive experience. They are really good at letting you know where you are each and every step of the way. You can also check your status online when you submit your application. Yes, it is a very long process. But for a good reason. They want to make sure you’re going to be happy at this job, because it's a lot of training to go through and then you quit several months down the line. The best advice I can give you is to research the interview questions online and have the answers ready in the STAR format. I’ve read most of the interviews submitted here and I can say some of the very negative ones I can tell didn’t do their due diligence. That will be the difference in you getting this job or not. If you go to the progressive website under jobs they even tell you what to do, what they’re looking for, what to expect, and what questions to think about. I think this is a great job for college grads out of school. This is a great place to develop some good work ethics.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you received any form of criticism from an employer, and how did that impact your work?   Answer Question
  • Name a time when you disagreed with a coworker, and what were the results of that disagreement.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really isn't a negotiation phase for this position. They give you a pay range and calculate where you start based on experience (including how well the interview went) plus school level completed. I was pretty satisfied with the number they came up with, and found it to be pretty reasonable.

Customer Claims Representative Interview

Customer Claims Representative
Austin, TX

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2011.

Interview Details – I filled out the application and posted my resume. One or two days later I received an offer to come in and take the IQ, personality test. I studied some questions I found nonlinear (googled. Wunderlich test), took it and passed. Then I was invited to do a phone interview. After the phone interviewed I moved on to the 1:1 phase. I originally applied for the position in the CCU department (single vehicle claims) but they felt I lacked experience in multi taskingso offered me an interview for a position as a customer service Rep in the claims Dept. I had to come back a few days later and interviewed with a different department but still had the same questions. Questions are based on STAR format, they like specific examples.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you convinced someone to see things your way.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Claims Service Representative Interview

Claims Service Representative
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2011.

Interview Details – Filled out an application online. Received email from Progressive that they would like me to come to their Austin, Texas office and take a couple of tests which are administered via computer. Only 2 out of the 7 people who took the tests were offered a phone interview later within 1-2 days. I was one of the two people who who went to the next step, the "phone" interview.

I prepared for every possible question that they might ask. I looked up the history of the company, etc. online. I actually typed up answers so I would not forget if I got too nervous. I was waiting for my interview call, and the interviewer postponed our interview for 3 hours later, and by that time I was extremely tired. I thought I had good answers for the questions. They give you a scenario, and then ask you to give specific examples of how you handled that situation. I had many specific answers as I had worked for a large company as a telphone counselor for five years. However, I was told that my answers were NOT SPECIFIC enough because I did not specify exactly who the customer/client was - instead I said, something to the effect of: This scenario happened frequently with my last position, many clients had the same this issue, problem, etc. and I would give example of HOW I handled the problem, and what the outcome was. I was shocked when I did not get hired. I called back until I got some answers, fearing that perhaps it was my age, being over 50, or being more educated than most of their employees. I was finally told, by the actual interviewer , that my answers did not specify the exact person. I explained to her that I worked with 15 people per day for 5 years, and that the same scenario came up many times in that amount of time, and there was no way to remember the exact person. I went to Glassdoor.com and found out after my interview (too late for me), that this was a major complaint of many interviewed applicants. They found the interviews ridiculous and repetitive. Progressive needs to get real with that portion of their interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a specific situation when you had negative feedback, and how you handled it, and what was the result?   Answer Question
  • Give me a specific example of   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Progressive Insurance

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Progressive Insurance Videos

Progressive Insurance – Why Work for Us?

Around here, people use the word “love” when talking about their jobs. That’s because Progressive is a special type of place… where you don’t stop until a project is finished—then eagerly move on to new and exciting… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Insurance interview questions and advice in Austin, TX. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Progressive Insurance employees and interview candidates.