Progressive Insurance Claims Adjuster Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

3.3

Claims Adjuster Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

I applied on a Friday and received an email on the following Monday with a request for a phone interview. The phone interview took place the following Friday. Must fully understand the STAR method! Be prepared to recall your past interactions and events.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you were in a situation where you couldn't persuade someone/a group of people and what happened next.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where you made a rash decision and what was the outcome   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Claims Adjuster Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in June 2015.

Interview

Resume review, online assessment and phone interview. They use star question format. Pleasant interviewer on the phone. Still waiting on call back. So far up front and stress free process. The next process is a background check and a in person interview. So far they seem very open and I hope i get a call back.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to make someone else follow policy   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance (Indianapolis, IN) in June 2015.

Interview

phone interview then two weeks later face to face interview. Standard questions were asked. Briefly discussed my resume and explained the company as a whole. Interviewer was an actual manager which made it more personal instead of a HR person.

Interview Questions

• standard questions just be sure to use the S.T.A.R method   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Hyde Park, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance (New Hyde Park, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied in late April.

- Assessment Exam
    - Phone interview
    - Face To Face interview at office

The assessment exam was very straight forward math and behavioral questions. Once I passed I was scheduled for a phone interview. Best thing to prepare for the phone interview is posted throughout glass-door review's is the star method. Focus on your skills and experiences you have gained dealing with clients rather than scripting possible responses. Reason being if you write down just a few behavioral questions with stories you will be wasting time preparing for something that might not even be asked. If you receive an email and it is from Mrs. Ruza consider that a gift from progressive she was extremely helpful and informative throughout the whole process pre and post interview. Make sure you research the company on some of their core values as well.

The face to face interview was similar to the phone interview with behavioral questions. One or two of the questions may have been similar but I decided to use different experiences in the face to face interview. Again just like the phone interview the onsite manager was extremely helpful and also went full into detail about what the job entitles. The key is to be relaxed and don't be nervous to ask the interviewer to repeat a question if you didn't fully understand it.

A few hours after the face to face interview I was contacted by Mrs. Ruza and was informed once the background check was complete she will call me back with a formal offer. The following Monday (interview was on Friday) I was offered the position and was able to give my current job two weeks notice.

Claims Adjuster Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in May 2015.

Interview

Progressive starts you out with a simplistic assessment, which anyone can pass, if you meet their minimum qualifications, which sends you to a phone interview. The phone interview starts with some traditional questions you have heard before, and then the STAR questions begin. Oddly, the interviewer over the phone asked half of her questions centering around my relationships with co-workers. (not supervisors... co-workers). I gave examples in the STAR format, which you absolutely have to have nailed down. Finally, a few more job specific questions followed. I was given a chance to ask questions, apparently, after the phone interview, but I only got to ask one before the interviewer told me that she was moving me on to the next step. Ok, well, that's good.

The in-person interview, I thought went very well. Asked more STAR questions, with a little more focus on negotiation and difficult customers. Thought I did well, and the interviewer seemed upbeat and happy. I was feeling optimistic.

But it was not meant to be, in there eyes. I received notification that I was not being hired, and told that my examples were not complex enough in comparison to others. Perhaps they weren't, but I have to wonder if they really give a proper chance for a candidate to "defend" this. After all, when you want ONE SPECIFIC example, there are certainly some people who might have dealt with an extreme example they can give in the STAR format. But who would you rather have, the person who's dealt with once or twice; or someone who deals with these issues on a daily basis? The STAR format does not provide an opportunity for the person who deals with the issues frequently a chance to express that.

So be it. I hope they enjoyed their likely embellished stories of people who dealt with an issue one or two times. Guess it's not a mystery why Progressive is midpack in many customer service rankings.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to give specific examples regarding your negotiation skills, experiences with co-workers as well as supervisors, and handling heavy workloads. Knowing the situations will benefit you more then memorizing specific questions. Also make certain that you know how to answer questions in the STAR format.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Progressive Insurance (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online and within a few days I was sent an email stating that they wanted to schedule a phone interview. This was my second time interviewing with Progressive so I was already aware of the STAR interviewing. I scheduled my interview far enough out so that I would have time to research their interview questions and actually come up with the scenarios. My phone interview came and it was about 4 star questions, along with questions regarding my experience and why I wanted to work in a call center. The recruiter was really friendly, and stated she wanted me to go ahead and schedule an in person interview. I scheduled the interview for the following week, but decided to withdraw my application the day before.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Progressive Insurance (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and within a couple days I got an email saying they would like for me to move to the next step.

First step was Screening test
    Second step was a Phone interview
    Third was an In-person interview

All interview questions are behavioral based questions.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to break a rule? Why? What was the outcome.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in April 2015.

Interview

Behavioral questions in which they want you to answer in star format. Straight forward and usual questions. The interview was just as I expected. Understand the star format and you will do great.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you helped a customer through a stressful situation. How did you handle it? What was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New Hyde Park, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance (New Hyde Park, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

1. Online assessment. Be honest with your answers. Take your time.
    2. Phone interview- All behavioral questions about 7-8.
    3. In-person Interview- More behavioral questions. Really odd questions and I had no idea how to answer! I felt like this was not a good way to know a candidate, it was more like a test and i memorized/made up stories to impress the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions. There is no way to prep for these kind of questions. They def throw curveball at you. tell me a time when you handled a difficult customer? tell me a situation when you solved a problem? Some of the hard questions they asked me, I didn't even experience that in my previous work, so I had to think and basically make up things they would want to hear.   1 Answer

Claims Adjuster Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

The questions were behavioral type questions which were situational in nature in hopes of trying to get you to express your ability to deal with stress and how you handle customers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when you had to tell a customer something he did not want to hear and how did you handle it?   Answer Question