Progressive Insurance

Average Difficulty
64 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Progressive Insurance

Interview Details – Ask a lot of situational questions. Have specific examples prepared ahead of time. Customer service is a priority so a lot of questions focus on this area. Answers should be specific examples from previous work experiences

Interview Question – Give an example of a time you did something out of the ordinary for a customer.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster

I applied online and interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – Initial interview, then 2-3 person interview, final interview district manager. and skills test. The first interview was general in nature. The 2nd group interview was more intensive with questions about work situations in previous jobs, etc. If you pass the group interview, you are typically good to go,the final interview is more just to negotiate salary, go over which shift you will work, etc.

Interview Question – Name a situation on your last job where you had a difficulty with a customer and how you resolved the situation. Name something you are not good at and how did you change it and become better at it.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Eugene, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in May 2014.

Interview Details – They have a long application process. I submitted the application in March and they made a decision mid May. Everyone in the interviewing process was friendly and helpful. It seemed like they all wanted to hire me. They told me that I would hear within 2 weeks after the final interview and I heard 17 days later. I felt that it was a straightforward process and quite enjoyable as far as interviews go.

Interview Question – I didn't think any of the questions were difficult or unexpected. They use the STAR system of interviewing so if you understand that you will do fine.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Sacramento, CA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online March 20, 2014 and the next day I was sent an email asking me to take an assessment test. I researched the test as thoroughly as I could online for 7 days, and I took the test the second to the last day I could. Progressive is very good in sending emails to remind you how many days you have left to take the assessment before you are taken out of the hiring process. The test is a basic IQ test with some behavioral questions. You are given 2 hours to complete the test but it took me about 40 minutes. The next day I was sent an email asking me to schedule a phone interview with a recruiter. The email also has links to the Progressive career page informing you that the interview will be conducted in the STAR interview method. The link also had tips in how to answer the STAR questions. I scheduled the phone interview the following Thursday. I was called at precisely the time specified. The recruiter was extremely personable and explained what type of questions she would ask. We talked a bit about my education and experience. She asked me what I knew about the job and Progressive insurance. Be sure to research Progressive: core values, year founded, size etc. She then asked me about 8 questions in the STAR format. Be as concise as possible and tell them exactly what steps you took to handle an obstacle, goal, adversity, etc. I was sent an email the day after the phone interview stating they wanted me to come in for a in person interview, as well as completing a more thorough background questionnaire. Later that day HireRight sent me an email with a link asking me to fill out their background questionnaire. I filled out the questionnaire that evening and sent it off to HireRight. The following Tuesday the recruiter called me to give me an update about the hiring process and to give me feedback about my phone interview and tips on how to improve for my in person interview. The next week the recruiter called me to schedule the in person interview. I had the in person interview the next Thursday. The interview was in the same format as the phone interview. Both interviews took about an hour. I asked the hiring manager how I did and she told me "good, here is how you could have done better". I then thought "well that's it. I didn't get the job". The recruiter called me the next day at 9 am and told me the hiring manager was very impressed with me and she had a job offer pending passing the background. The recruiter called me a few hours later and told me my background had cleared and she had a firm job offer. I start May 19, 2014. Yay!!!������

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond what was expected? Tell me a time when you did not do your best and made a mistake at work and what became of the mistake?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Salary firm at $45K a year.

Interviewed at Progressive Insurance

Interview Details – My situation may be different than some but I worked hard to get the interview and ace it. It took a decent amount of studying and brainstorming. So if you really want the job, be prepared to work for it.

I applied back in November. My resume is pretty detailed and strategically worded, so if you have a resume that just lists some skills and past work, I would change it. I had help from several people in HR depts. in different companies adjust and fine tune my resume. I would recommend networking and getting someone to do this. You might even get a free lunch out of it. ; ) Anyway... I was referred to the company by an employee and personal friend. That may have helped get my resume through the first elimination round. I completed the assessment right away (nothing difficult about that, only to weed out the dummies). They called to set up my phone interview within a couple of days.

The phone interview was with a recruiter who was very nice. Just asked a few questions about my previous work and school (going through my resume). I have background in retail as a manager and lots of customer service experience, which proved to be essential in the long run. She then explained a little bit about the position and asked my why I chose Progressive. This is where studying about the company helps. Answer it with things like, "I like their values" or "I like the Progressive Foundation" (be more specific than that). Don't answer with stupid stuff like "I like Flo." She then explained the behavioral interview questions and we started on those. They are behavioral questions, study how to properly respond, (you can google it) and think of lots of experiences in your past that may be useful. Do not rehearse answers! I took a nice black portfolio with me, it had a legal pad in it with about 20 possible answers in it. I only wrote down a "title" for each one, little key words to jog my memory if I needed. Do NOT write out your entire response. Anywho, after it was done, she told me right there that they would want to schedule a manager interview.

Manager interview was at the local office. Was not anything special, just more behavioral questions. We didn't talk long, I answered well but conversation didn't go great. The recruiter called a couple days later and told me I didn't get the job.

Two months later they were hiring again. I got fast tracked straight to the manager interview. I studied a lot for this one, I wasn't going to let it slip through my fingers again. I googled the interviewers name and found some useful information from their work history. It seems creepy, I know, but as long as you're not telling them what their favorite color is, they will see it as you put some time in your research. Again, behavioral interview questions. I used the same method(see above), but thanks to the help of friends, I focused more on conversation. Once again, I have history in retail and provided excellent customer service everyday. If you want this job, be an awesome employee at your current employer so you have experiences to talk about in your interview. If you are not currently working, find some volunteer work, with a non-profit or something. That's experience that they will consider.

Sorry it's so wordy, but if you're on here (glassdoor.com) like me, trying to figure out what's next in your interview process, I would want it to be detailed and helpful... I got the offer the second time around!

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you made a mistake.   View Answer

Claims Adjuster

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – This happened several years ago. Their processes may have changed since my experience.

I was contacted by a third-party recruiter, saw some potential in the job, and submitted my resume. After reviewing my qualifications and apparently seeing that I would be a potential fit, I was given a "psych test" to complete, which was a series of hundreds of multiple-choice questions. I recall it taking me just under 7 hours to complete - with breaks. Some time after submitting, I sat down for a 1:1 interview with the Branch Manager of one of the offices in the Los Angeles area. When I got home, the recruiter called me, said the Manager was really impressed with me, and to expect an offer in the next day or so.

The next day, I received a rejection letter in the mail, which was sent from Cleveland, Ohio. Apparently, someone at the corporate office did not like the results of my psych test and said not to hire me, based on what the recruiter was able to get from the company after I told her of the letter.

It was already determined that I would not be hired before I sat for the interview. In fact, I am 80% certain that the decision was made - based on the letter date - before my interview was even scheduled. I think they just wasted my time.

Interview Question – The questions were very basic, nothing job-specific since this was an entry-level position and they were not expecting me to have past experience in claims adjusting.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – Applied online and took the online assessment. Apparently, my personality isn't a fit for the job so I'm disqualified.

Tucson, AZ

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2014.

Interview Details – My husband is in the hiring/interview process for Progressive. Their process is very through and deliberate allowing them to vet the right people for their organization.

Interview Question – If an emergency comes up at work, how do you handle it?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – I applied online and gave my resume to a friend that worked at the company. I had two interviews before I was hired. Second interview was in person and a group interview.

Interview Question – All the questions were situational and required me to reflect quickly but deeply to my past experiences and relate them to insurance.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate because the demand for the position was high

Burlington, VT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in October 2009.

Interview Details – STAR questions after a formal phone interview. Meeting was well over an hour long, with two managers.

Interview Question – All questions were in STAR format   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was unable to negotiate as this was my first job out of college. I did receive a cash bonus about 4 months after starting due to my initial success and contributions.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Progressive Insurance

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Progressive Insurance Videos

Progressive Insurance – Why Work for Us?

Around here, people use the word “love” when talking about their jobs. That’s because Progressive is a special type of place… where you don’t stop until a project is finished—then eagerly move on to new and exciting… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Insurance Claims Adjuster interview questions and advice. All 64 interview reviews posted anonymously by Progressive Insurance employees and interview candidates.