Progressive Insurance Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.3

53 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Process 1 month+
Found job posted on Indeed.com applied to job through Progressive website. Would suggest adding this site to your favorites if you are interested in looking at all the jobs available- site is not set up for "job search" it is more for customer self service. Filled out application which is straight forward. Two days later got an invite for the assessment exam- which was not that difficult (basic math, P&L (profit/loss) graphs, behavioral). Two hours later I was told that I had passed and that I would be contacted by a recruiter. Two weeks later I received an email from the recruiter. It stated the times available for a phone interview and the format the interview would be conducted (STAR)- which I was used to because my former employer used the same format. She called promptly and the interview lasted about an hour and twenty minutes. Nothing in the interview was unexpected. I did ask her how many jobs were available and she told me one, but sometimes if there is a need and there are two very good candidates they can make exceptions. She told me not to worry about not having insurance experience because it sounds like I have a lot of the "soft skills" which are hard to teach, but the insurance part would be easy for them to teach me. She told me she would be contacting me to set up a in-person interview. A day later she wrote and told me what the day the interview would be (two weeks later) and I had 4 time options.

Arrived to interview 10 minutes early and the interviewer came and greeted me on time. The interview was conducted in private room, so there were no distractions. The interview was pretty straight forward only he started with the questions first then conducted the personal interview. Questions were very similar to the phone interview except there was a question about negotiation- how did you successfully negotiate in a situation. Same format was used (STAR). I did ask how many people did they interview for this job and how many jobs were available and he told me there was a total of three interviews and only one job.

At the end of the interview he told me that he was going to meet with the recruiter the next day and I could hear something maybe as early as Friday, but definitely early next week. I received no call or email. I then wrote to the recruiter on the following Wednesday just to "check in" and I received a automated reply that she would be out of the office until Friday. Then, on Friday at 2pm she call to tell they that they had selected another candidate. I asked what was the reason for their decision and she said the only thing different was that the other woman had "a little" experience in claims. She also told me that they reached out to the region requesting an additional job opening so that they could hire me, but unfortunately they had been turned down. She then told me that they maybe an opportunity in the future and she was 60% sure that there could be an opening by the end of the year, but this was not certain. I then asked if I would have to do this entire process again and she told me no.

I have to say I am a little disappointed that for a trainee position they went with someone that had experience. But, I am hopeful that I get a call back.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time that you had to successfully negotiate with someone. (not difficult, but I didn't expect it.)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through their website about 3 weeks ago and completed the test. The next day I received an email to schedule the phone interview. I had the phone interview the following week...fairly easy...the recruiter was really nice and made the whole interview conversational. It took about an hour to finish...she told me right there and then that she would really like for me to move on to the face to face interview. She told me I would receive an email to set up a date and time.

Shortly after she sent me a day and time slots I could interview in...also I received the request for the background exam.

Today I had the face to face...the interviewer was extremely nice and gave me information about what they were looking for in a candidate.

Overall I think the interview went great...he said I was the first to interview out of 6 people...that I would be contacted next week after the interviews were over to see if I would receive an offer or not. I hope I do. I will update this when I find out.

Interview Questions
    • What processes or procedures have you impacted with your current employer?

**Not difficult to answer but a little unexpected** As a manager, what is your work ethic and what do you expect from your employees?
        Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Applied online. Received email with link to assessment almost a month after application. Received email with link to schedule phone interview. Had phone interview a week after assessment. Was not offered opportunity with a one on one interview. Evidently my replies to their questions didn't display the complexity that they wanted for this position. Oh well their loss, I'll take my talents and work ethic to a company that can better appreciate them.

Customer satisfaction reviews with this company are generally unfavorable. Might have something to do with the fact that they hire candidates that interview well but don't deliver results in the real world.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with a irate customer who was dissatisfied with their service. What did you do?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Applied online, invited to take assessment the next business day. Received email to schedule phone interview within a few hours after taking assessment. Emailed included link on what to expect in the phone interview which is STAR format questions. Prepared by writing out diff situations that applied to each STAR questions. Phone interview included about 6-7 star questions. Was told I would be moved on to in person interview at the end of the conversation. Scheduled in person interview for 1 week later. That interview was almost identical to phone interview and focused on STAR questions. Received call from recruiter the next business day with offer.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Offer was at high end of scale.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

I was referred for the job by a current employee. I filled out the online application and received an email a few days later thanking me for submitting an application and that I should be on the lookout for an email containing next steps soon. I already knew from the person who referred me that there would be an online assessment. This assessment contains some math and personality questions. I received an email with instructions for the online assessment a few days later and was given about a week to complete it. The math was pretty basic--they would have a list of numbers and you had to determine what the next number would be in the sequence. They also had different charts and would ask questions like "If this trend were to continue what would you expect the company's profits to be in 2 months". For the personality questions--they basically want to see how you would handle different scenarios at work. Don't second guess yourself. Make sure you research the company so that you can know the best way to answer these questions. ( It may help to read each question aloud saying "If I were working at Progressive I would..."). After I submitted my assessment I received an email the following day saying that I passed and was given a date and time for my phone interview. I researched a lot of behavioral questions in advance and made sure to have examples prepared ahead of time. The interviewer was very nice and was easy to speak to. She asked me a little about my resume and then we jumped into the STAR questions. I was a little nervous at first but I got into the flow of things after the 1st STAR question. I was glad that I had prepared my answers in advance because a lot of the questions she asked were similar to what I had written down! After the interview she said that I would hear back within a few days either way.. I didn't really know how to take this since she didn't really say whether I had passed or not. I thought I did a really good job but she simply thanked me and said that she'd be in touch. About two hours later she called me back saying that I had passed the phone interview and that I would be moving on! We scheduled an in-person interview and she told me I would be given more STAR questions during the next interview. She also gave me recommendations on how I could better prepare for the in person interview. I was initially scheduled for an in person interview, but at the last minute the recruiter had to cancel because of a problem at one of the local offices. Currently waiting to reschedule.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you didn't agree with your supervisor's decision.
      What didn't you like about your last job?
        Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

They first have to accept your application which took about 3 weeks. Then take an assessment consisting of basic math and what would you do questions. If you pass then they give a phone interview which consisted of STAR format questions and past education and work history. She told me I did good on the phone interview and would schedule me for an in person interview. It took about a week for her to get back to me for an interview and the interview was scheduled for a week after that. Interview was easier than the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • All interview questions were expected to be answered in STAR format, so be prepared with examples.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

After applying through their website, I received an e-mail a month later to complete their online assessment. They give you two hours to complete this assessment and I found myself having completed it after 15-20 minutes. I received another e-mail stating that I had passed and to expect a recruiter to either e-mail or call me to set up a phone interview. A week after that e-mail, another e-mail was sent and asked me to schedule a date/time for the phone interview. When I checked into their scheduling, only one to two times were available and both times were while I was at work (9-10 am, or 10-11 am).

My personal preference is not to schedule phone interviews while I'm at work. Call me old fashioned or whatever you will, but interviewing for a new job while at work shows a complete lack of respect for your current employer and is wholly unprofessional. I wasn't going to do it, and I was hopeful that Progressive would understand and offer me a solution. I e-mailed their recruiter via a link in the e-mail, and explained that the available times for an interview fell during times I was at work.

A day later, I received a phone call asking me to contact a recruiter at a provided number to schedule a time for the phone interview. I was planning on calling them back once I returned home, but received another call from the recruiter later in the day, asking why I hadn't returned their call. I was still at work! The recruiter, in possibly the rudest tone I've ever heard from an HR "professional", stated that they hardly ever accommodated people requesting early evening phone interviews. My mistake for thinking they were actually interested in talking with me. Why companies insist on having people on the east coast conduct the phone interviews is beyond me. Are there no capable recruiters on the west coast (where I live) able to conduct these phone interviews? I work from 5 am - 2:30 pm PST, and you just know those recruiters are working from 9 am - 5 pm EST. So yeah, I guess no time they offered would have worked for me. However, I was not going to take an interview while at work, it was too short notice to take any time off, and considering the recruiter's tone in the second voice mail, I'm glad I didn't waste my time with Progressive. I withdrew my application immediately upon returning home.

Interview Questions
    • Most Unexpected - Not being treated respectfully by the recruiter and being made to feel that standing by my principles were an undesirable quality.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cutler Ridge, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cutler Ridge, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in August 2014.

Application was done online. Then, took an assessment based on math and what you would do questions. After that, phone interview which was scheduled; which consisted of STAR format questions. I was told and I would be contacted for a possible in person interview. It took almost a week to find out I was not going to move to the next step.

I did not quite understand how I could not get nailed this since I was really prepared. Most likely, interviewer did not write my inputs correctly; this could be translated as a lost from my end. Believe it or not, I did have a few examples in order to target each STAR question.

Interview Questions
    • None, pretty straight forward if you follow the pattern.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bohemia, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bohemia, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in August 2014.

Applied online. Received email for phone interview. Phone interview was wonderful with a Human Resource professional. STAR interview.

Assessment tests and background checks required.HR professional passed me forward for face to face interview. I was supposed to meet with Manager, instead, his assistant interviewed me. I believe the assistant didn't have very much interviewing experience as I was declined for the position, yet passed with flying colors with a professional HR recruiter for the company. Basically, I had the same answers for him as it was a STAR interview.

I was declined the position by phone, which was professional. When I inquired why, the young lady who called me to tell me, all of a sudden developed an air of arrogance and said my answers were not specific enough and talked too much!?!

That was strange, as the recruiter loved me. I asked the young man in the face to face interview if I answered everything for him and did he have any questions for me to clarify anything. I believe he just discriminated against me due to my age, as during the interview, everything seemed great. He or they searched for an excuse. I see the same answer on some other people's interview experiences.

Why waste everyone's time and the company's money if the interviews are not going to be conducted professionally until the very end of the process.

Claims Adjusters Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

It is a longer process that is quite thorough. Assessment tests, background checks, multiple interviews, and simulations are all part of the fun. It has been three weeks for my self at this time. So far all has gone well and I am looking forward to an offer soon. Just be calm and use Customer Service skills!

Interview Questions
    • Just make sure you use the STAR format while answering questions and use specific examples.   Answer Question