Progressive Insurance

44 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on May 25, 2014 and was contacted by a recruiter for an initial phone screen Jun 26, 2014. I had a face to face interview with the Hiring Manager in Mid-July.

The parties (recruiter & hm) were very friendly and receptive to my questions.

Although the process has been a little longer than preferred, it has been a rather smooth interaction with the company.

Interview Question – I wouldn't rate this as a difficult or unexpected question, but I was asked why I wanted to transition into a role in the Insurance industry.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The salary was pretty much determined from the application phase.

Although a significant reduction from my current salary, I was able to obtain a few thousands more on the base.

Claims Adjusters Trainee Interview

Claims Adjusters Trainee

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – It is a longer process that is quite thorough. Assessment tests, background checks, multiple interviews, and simulations are all part of the fun. It has been three weeks for my self at this time. So far all has gone well and I am looking forward to an offer soon. Just be calm and use Customer Service skills!

Interview Question – Just make sure you use the STAR format while answering questions and use specific examples.   Answer Question

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through their website. After a couple of emails from them keeping me updated on the process I finally get an email to schedule a phone interview two weeks later. Phone interview was about an hour long and I was asked about my former jobs and education. Then comes the tricky part. They use STAR questions which is pretty much answered as if you were like story telling. They ask for specific situations and how you handled them. Recruiter was nice and patient with me. Recruiter then proceeds to tell me that I passed and that the next step is to set up an interview with the manager at the office I applied for. That interview comes a week later. It starts off with regular questions about my past jobs and education. Then comes more STAR questions. This time around I was more prepared and pretty much memorized all sorts of situations. I did my research leading up to the interview and saw which STAR questions were the most common so I wouldn't get caught flat footed. The manager must have been satisfied with my responses because he barely asked questions meaning I covered everything he was looking for. I initially thought the interview would be longer because I read that for some people it took 1-2 hours long but I was done in 30-40 minutes. The manager was very well spoken and answered all the questions I had. Make sure to come up with good questions!! He then thanked me for coming and told me that I would be receiving a call sometime the next week with their decision. I felt all in all the interview went great but I didn't want to get my hopes up. The anticipation was killing me but early that next week I got the call and got offered the job. The person who called me was the one I had the phone interview with. She was genuinely happy for me. I thought it was a nice gesture.

Interview Question – The STAR questions are tricky but they let you take your time so you can remember a specific situation. Don't be scared to take as much time as possible.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Claims Adjuster Trainee

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2014.

Interview Details – After filling out an application was sent to online assessment that took about half hour. Scheduled phone interview in about a week with 7-8 STAR format questions, education, work history and reason for applying to Progressive. IMO, STAR format is the worst interview format for an entry level position! I was told that situations I described were not complex enough. How am I supposed to have experienced overly complex situations when I just graduated and only have basic work experience?!

Interview Question – Describe a process that you have implemented for dealing with too many tasks and give and example of how you used it,.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – The hiring process was a bit long. First your resume had to be accepted and after that process you must pass an assessment. You get the results of the assessment within a few hours. Once you pass the assessment you get a time to schedule your phone interview. My phone interview went great. Took about an hour. Make sure you prepare and use the STAR format. After the phone interview there is an in person interview. Same format, using STAR although, during my interview we did go off track a bit and off the STAR format. About a week after my in person interview I got a call saying that my interview went extremely well and that they would like to offer me the job!

Interview Question – Name a time where you could have taken several paths to resolve an issue, which path did you take and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online on their user friendly system. After applying, I got an email from them in about 2 weeks letting me know I passed the initial evaluation. Then I took their online test which was a combination of basic math, graph analysis, and behavioral questions. A couple of hours after submitting the test, I got an email saying I passed it and to wait for an email or phone call for scheduling a phone interview. I moved on tto the in person interview and made it. I accepted their job offer.

Interview Question – Asked about 7-8 STARS interview questions on phone interview. The interviewer was very good at making me feel comfortable.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Glen Burnie, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in May 2014.

Interview Details – The Interview process was fairly easy. I first completed an online assessment. This assesment evaluates your basic math and behavioral and problem solving skills. Upon completion I received an email stating I passed and the next step would be a phone Interview. I was able to select the time. The phone interview was a series of about 7-8 behavioral questions. ex., Explain a time when.... the phone recruiter was very personable and easy to speak with. At the end of the interview she made sure to tell me that I did a great job and that she would send her recommendation to the hiring manager for an in-person interview. I received a phone call about a few days later scheduling me for the inperson interview. She was sure to tell me to prepare for STAR format behavioral question, to research the company and specifically be able to answer why I want to work for progressive and why I want to work in the claims adjuster position. Interview was fairly comfortable, I interviewed with the district manager. She asked about 7-8 star format behavioral questions, showed me around the facility and gave me an opportunity to ask her any questions. She informed me I would know a decision either way within 3 days. In exactly 3 days the recruiter called to offer me the job.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you did not agree with your supervisor.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The offer was more than expected.

Claims Adjuster Trainee

Interview Details – I applied online and soon was e-mailed to take an online test. Like a lot of reviews, it was fairly quick, although you can take up to 2 hours to complete. Shortly after that I received an e-mail that I passed the test and they wanted to conduct a phone interview. It took about a week to get the e-mail to schedule my phone interview. I had prepared-reviewing the website and had scenarios for questions. I felt prepared. I was called at the time I had chosen. The recruiter seemed nice enough. Toward the end, she definitely was seeming annoyed. I guess I was not discussing my current role enough, but when you have been working somewhere for years, versus months, it's pretty simple to discuss where you have more scenarios and experience. At this point, I felt she reprimanded me and told me what I do in my current role and told me how to answer the question. I was so put off. I have never been spoken to in that matter in an interview! Needless to say, the interview ended. I was not surprised when a week later I got an e-mail explaining that I will not be moving forward. That's okay with me. If your recruiters are rude, I can only imagine how others are. In the end you'll get a survey asking how you felt the interview process went.

Interview Question – A lot of STAR questions   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – I submit my application 6/3/14 and was then emailed stating that I had moved on in the interview process, I then was sent a link to perform the employee assessment test a day later, the test was composed of about 50 questions. I was nervous at first but it wasn't as difficult as I expected, I'm terrible at math and there are charts and graphs and questions about predicting future outcomes, then there were several behavioral questions. I took the test in about an hour and then was emailed the next day stating I had passed the test and would be moving forward to a phone interview. I have my phone interview for this Wednesday and am studying the STAR format as mentioned in the email. Hopefully the I do well and will move forward to the in person interview!!! :)

Interview Question – The graphs and tables on the assessment were a bit confusing but nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – Applied online and a few days later I received an email stating that they were impressed with my credentials and that I needed to take an online assessment that included basic mathbproblems and a personality test. I hate doing personality test because I never do well with them. I did some research on the type of test that would be given and garnered some great insight on how to approach the test. The advice was to answer as if you're the perfect employee and another tip was to mentally add the phrase "at work" to the end of each question. These were great tactics because I passed my first personality test. The math portion of the test was very easy. It dealt basically with projections and reading charts.

I after I completed the test I received an email a few hours later stating that I passed and that i would move on to the phone interview portion of the process. I received an email link to the scheduling calendar and schedule my interview for 5 days later, because I wanted to research the company and the STAR interview method that they said they would be using.

My phone interview went well. I was nervous at first but the recruiter put me at ease and once we established a rapport I was able to answer the questions in full detail.
Before the recruiter started the questions she did inform me that the answer should be in STAR FORMAT, in order to save time. I would advise you to write the main points of the questions down so you don't forget the question or get off-track.

This Glaasdoor website provided a ton of information, I garnered at least 20 different STAR questions from here. The interview lasted about an hour even though the pace was very fast. Maintain control and make sure that you get your important points across.

I received an email today stating that I made it to the next time to interview with the hiring manager but that I needed to pass the background check stage first. The in~person interview may be about a week away. So I'll start preparing for that and smoothing out my presentation.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to obtain information from someone who was not as forthcoming as they should have been?   Answer Question

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!