Progressive Insurance Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015
Updated Mar 19, 2015

3.3

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

An hour long STAR interview. I came on this site before my interview and I am glad I did because I would not have known about the "STAR" interview. I recommend researching the company (on glassdoor), look up those who will be interviewing you and see what you can find out about them and to see what they look like (if they have pics up) so you have some idea of whom you're speaking with. Practice interview with someone so that your comfortable. Make flash cards they helped me. One last thing if your not sure where the interview is and you don't have navigation take a trip a day or two before so you know where you're going. I'm still waiting to hear back.

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in February 2015.

Step 1: applied online
    Step 2: Emailed to take the online assessment
    Step 3: Emailed to set up phone interview
    Step 4: Phone Interview
    Step 5: In-Person interview is next but I will be updated by the end of the week on my status

I can definitely say that this was one of the best interview experiences I have had. The person I talked to was very personable and made it feel like we were having more of a conversation between 2 friends about my past experiences. They set the expectation for how the interview process is going to go as soon as you answer the phone. You already know that the interview style is going to be target selection based after you schedule your phone interview and that you need to use the STAR method to answer your questions efficiently. I process was very easy and painless. I was initially very nervous going into the interview, but at the end I was extremely confident in the connection I made with the recruiter. She told me that she had a few other ppl she had to interview but she will be back in contact with me on Friday to let me know my status so we could schedule an in person interview. I hope that means I will get it. I will update this when I get my answer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time that you received constructive feedback. How did you handle it and what was the outcome?   View Answers (2)

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2015.

applied online and heard back a couple of days later via email with a request to take an assessment test. It was pretty standard. Once that was submitted I received a request (via email) to set up a phone interview. This took place approx. 1 week later. The interview was based on the STAR method and really kept you thinking. The total interview lasted approx 45 min. I was emailed 4-5 days later saying that I did not get the job but if I gained any more experience in the insurance field to contact the recruiter as they would be willing to reconsider my application. This is for a trainee position. I feel that I was truthful in my application and resume and that they knew before setting me up for this whole process what my experience was. If it wasnt enough, I never should have been contacted. If an experienced associate is whats needed then maybe that should be listed in the job description or trainee removed from the title

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in February 2015.

I applied online on February 19th. I was emailed a pre-employment assessment the next day, which I had five business days to complete. I completed it on the 23rd. The assessment took about 45 minutes to complete. It's just a basic assessment of skills and your personality. I was then emailed about setting up a phone interview the next day, and to look out for a phone call coming my way. I spoke with the Progressive representative and set up a phone interview with a recruiter for that Friday. The phone interview lasted roughly 30 minutes. They use the STAR method when interviewing, as most places do. The questions were customer service-based and were fairly straight forward. After the interview was complete, the recruiter told me that I would be moving forward in the interview process. We set up a time for a face-to-face interview the following Wednesday. The recruiter I interviewed with was incredibly kind and very helpful! It was a great experience. I received a confirmation email with more details regarding the face-to-face interview (address, etc) and also an email with directions on proceeding with a background check. The background check takes a few days to fully complete/pass, so they like to get a jump-start on the process. The f2f interview lasted around 40 minutes. The woman I interviewed with was very kind, just as the recruiter had been. In both situations, the interview seemed more of a conversation I would have with a colleague rather than an interview. It was refreshing and reassuring! After the interview, I was told I would hear back within the next few days or a week. I got a call the next day saying I was being offered the position! I can't wait to start my new career with an amazing company!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you received constructive feedback and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in February 2015.

Typical STARS format. If you know STARS then you're good...the problem were the questions. Instead of asking me what will make me good at the position, my skill set, customer relations/account management skills, the interview asked questions about requests to break company policies, why I left previous positions, and what I didn't like about other companies. I'm all for situational questions but in the particular instance about breaking company policy, it just didn't apply to me. This is what the whole interview seemed to be heavily focused on. Also, the interviewer seemed to want me to talk about my previous companies and why I left. My answers apparently weren't sufficient. I had the feeling that the person was trying to direct me to speak poorly about them. They kept pushing issues to try to "peel the onion". I side stepped these questions. I left for my own reasons and wish not to speak ill of other companies. I felt there was a big disconnect in the role and the interview questions.

I feel the position I applied and interviewed for weighted heavily on customer service and problem solving. Too bad that I could not give examples because the questions were not asked. The interviewer gave time at the end to answer questions but was not able to answer them fully because they had little to no experience with the role.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of when you were presented a request that would break company policy and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

She started with simple facts about me and my abilities which was about half of the time spent on the phone then went to the STAR questions. None of the 50 or so questions I had composed answers for were asked. The questions were bizzare and have of them I had to just make something up. I got no feedback to let me know when to stop talking and when I did stop talking there was a long pause that made me more and more nervous. I feel like after I prepared for many days that it was impossible to prepare for this. I don't remember the exact question but Name a time when you saved the day.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you were resposible for a product that significantly improved the company.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

I applied almost two months ago (10/30). It is now 12/22 and I received an email from Progressive stating "Unfortunately, the position closed before we were able to review your qualifications." So, you're telling me that in TWO MONTHS, you did not have time to review my application? I put in a great deal of time tweaking my resume, writing a cover letter, and filling out the online application, yet Progressive doesn't even have the courtesy to review my information. I was well qualified for the position and, as another person who received this same email said, "I feel duped!" I would rather be rejected than to be ignored. I don't recommend applying for this company. They clearly DO NOT CARE about job seekers. What a waste of time! I will never apply with this company again.

Progressive Insurance Response

Jan 28, 2015Talent Acquisition

We understand your frustration and do take your comments seriously. This feedback helps us to continue improving upon our process. -KH,Recruiting

Anonymous Employee in Wilkinsburg, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Wilkinsburg, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2015.

Step 1 - Online Assessment. It was lengthy and time consuming.
    Step 2 - Phone Interview. Apparently, they sometimes farm out these calls and I was talking to a third party person (this is according to the Claims Manager I interviewed with in the next step).
    Step 3 - In-Person Interview. They ask a lot of the same questions as asked over the phone.

I was not offered the job and I'm glad. I was very excited about the position, but after further research decided it wasn't for me. The interview process was pretty standard except for two things. 1) They started running a background check through HireRight (third party verifier) before I even interviewed in-person. It seemed very odd to have that going on before an offer was made. 2) I would have preferred an email telling me I didn't get the job. The Talent Acquisition person called and left a message. I assumed it was good news. When I returned the call, she was cheerful and made small talk before telling me the bad news. It was insensitive and unnecessary. I emailed her the day before, she could have simply replied.

Interview Questions
    • The asked a lot about negotiating and how you make people see things your way. STAR format.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2015.

I submitted an online application after seeing the opening posted on Indeed.com. After two years in an essentially a dead end job I was looking for a position with growth opportunity. Since it was just prior to Thanksgiving there was a delay before I got a reply. I received an email that I passed the initial screening and directed to take the personality/math portion of the screening. It wasn't that difficult, some simply math questions and reasoning questions, then the remainder were behavioral type questions asked two or three different ways designed to look for consistency. The following day I received an email stating that I passed that portion and I would be contacted to schedule the phone interview. I received a phone call from a scheduler and scheduled a phone interview for 7:30 am two days later. At the scheduled time I received a call from the person who scheduled the interview to advise me that an error had been made when they scheduled the call and no one was available could I reschedule for later that day? I advised that I scheduled at this time because I was not at work and I didn't think it appropriate to have an hour long phone interview while I was supposed to be working my current job. We were able to reschedule for 5:30 that same day. I saw a comment in another post that a person had voiced a similar concern about having the interview during work hours and they indicated they received an attitude about the concern. That was not the case with my situation, they understood and were able to accommodate me no problem, they even apologized for any inconvenience. At 5:30 the interviewer called, it was a recruiter from the Houston area, so we were on the same time zone. The call was a little over an hour. I was nervous about the STAR question format and made sure to study on the procedure and focused more on following the steps of giving a complete answer rather than memorizing any particular questions. They are looking for specific answers, and they want to know what actions you took in previous jobs in a similar situation, you want to make sure to complete the question by providing the result of your actions. I am not a fan of this new style of interview format, but once I realized what the goal was I was able to focus answering the questions. Don't be afraid to ask them to repeat the question or ask if you answered it to their satisfaction. If they need more info from you, they will let you know. It is a bit of an unnatural process an not always conversational, but after about 8 or 9 STAR questions I was told the recruiter was going to recommend I go through to the in person interview and to look for an email from the local recruiter in our area in the next day or so. I was told they were going to begin the background check so to look for an email to verify my employment background. I do have insurance experience, but not adjusting and some of those positions were 10-99 so I did have to produce some tax forms when HireRight wasn't able to verify some of the info. Thankfully I was able to locate the documents and submit those online. Two days later I received and email from the local recruiter and asked for my preference for scheduling the in person interview. The interview was to take place the following week. The feedback I was given after the phone interview was the review Progressive Company culture and Core Values. I was excited about the interview and spent a lot of time reading these reviews in hopes for an idea of what to expect. Again, my advice would be to study the format of the STAR questions rather than focusing on specific questions. They are looking for specific answers and want to know what actions you have taken in your past employment experience. The day of the interview I was nervous and gave myself plenty of time to get there. I arrived about 20 minutes early, had time to use the restroom and relax prior to meeting the manager for the interview. The interview was approximately 40 minutes, it was relaxed and conversational, we reviewed my resume and past employment, we went through about 4 or 5 more STAR questions I don't remember specifics but they centered around organizational skills, a time when you made a mistake at work, a time when you had to negotiate, a time when you when above and beyond. At the end I made it known I was interested in the position and asked about the next steps. I was told they had already interviewed 5 or 6 people for two openings and there was one other interview after mine. The manager was expecting to speak with the recruiter the following day and said I would hear back the following week by Wednesday. My interview took place on a Thursday. I received an email from the recruiter that she spoke with the manager and was working on the details and would get back to me by Tuesday with good news. On Tuesday I received a phone call and job offer. I accepted the position. I begin at the end of February.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you made a mistake at your job. What did you do to correct the problem?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation I was offered the top of the pay range for the position.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in December 2014.

I applied online on December 15th, 2014. Passing the resume review, the online assessment test followed a day later. I passed that, then got an email to schedule a phone interview, originally received on Dec. 24th, but being the holiday, I didn't get to check my email until the 26th.

Their earliest available dates were the last 3 days of the month, so I scheduled for the last day. With all that I had going on that week, it was all I could do.

The phone interview went on, as scheduled, and I was told I would be contacted by email on the following Monday. I ended up with an email on Tuesday, stating I was not selected to go further in the process...which would have been the face-to-face.

Admittedly, the phone interview was horrible, but no one is perfect. I haven't had to worry about doing an interview in years and when I did, it was a different time. It doesn't mean I would not have excelled at that job. Their loss.