Progressive Insurance

3.3

64 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

She started with simple facts about me and my abilities which was about half of the time spent on the phone then went to the STAR questions. None of the 50 or so questions I had composed answers for were asked. The questions were bizzare and have of them I had to just make something up. I got no feedback to let me know when to stop talking and when I did stop talking there was a long pause that made me more and more nervous. I feel like after I prepared for many days that it was impossible to prepare for this. I don't remember the exact question but Name a time when you saved the day.

Interview Questions
  • Name a time when you were resposible for a product that significantly improved the company.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2015.

applied online and heard back a couple of days later via email with a request to take an assessment test. It was pretty standard. Once that was submitted I received a request (via email) to set up a phone interview. This took place approx. 1 week later. The interview was based on the STAR method and really kept you thinking. The total interview lasted approx 45 min. I was emailed 4-5 days later saying that I did not get the job but if I gained any more experience in the insurance field to contact the recruiter as they would be willing to reconsider my application. This is for a trainee position. I feel that I was truthful in my application and resume and that they knew before setting me up for this whole process what my experience was. If it wasnt enough, I never should have been contacted. If an experienced associate is whats needed then maybe that should be listed in the job description or trainee removed from the title

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilkinsburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilkinsburg, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2015.

Step 1 - Online Assessment. It was lengthy and time consuming.
    Step 2 - Phone Interview. Apparently, they sometimes farm out these calls and I was talking to a third party person (this is according to the Claims Manager I interviewed with in the next step).
    Step 3 - In-Person Interview. They ask a lot of the same questions as asked over the phone.

I was not offered the job and I'm glad. I was very excited about the position, but after further research decided it wasn't for me. The interview process was pretty standard except for two things. 1) They started running a background check through HireRight (third party verifier) before I even interviewed in-person. It seemed very odd to have that going on before an offer was made. 2) I would have preferred an email telling me I didn't get the job. The Talent Acquisition person called and left a message. I assumed it was good news. When I returned the call, she was cheerful and made small talk before telling me the bad news. It was insensitive and unnecessary. I emailed her the day before, she could have simply replied.

Interview Questions
    • The asked a lot about negotiating and how you make people see things your way. STAR format.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

I applied almost two months ago (10/30). It is now 12/22 and I received an email from Progressive stating "Unfortunately, the position closed before we were able to review your qualifications." So, you're telling me that in TWO MONTHS, you did not have time to review my application? I put in a great deal of time tweaking my resume, writing a cover letter, and filling out the online application, yet Progressive doesn't even have the courtesy to review my information. I was well qualified for the position and, as another person who received this same email said, "I feel duped!" I would rather be rejected than to be ignored. I don't recommend applying for this company. They clearly DO NOT CARE about job seekers. What a waste of time! I will never apply with this company again.

Jan 28, 2015Talent Acquisition

We understand your frustration and do take your comments seriously. This feedback helps us to continue improving upon our process. -KH,Recruiting

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in December 2014.

I applied online on December 15th, 2014. Passing the resume review, the online assessment test followed a day later. I passed that, then got an email to schedule a phone interview, originally received on Dec. 24th, but being the holiday, I didn't get to check my email until the 26th.

Their earliest available dates were the last 3 days of the month, so I scheduled for the last day. With all that I had going on that week, it was all I could do.

The phone interview went on, as scheduled, and I was told I would be contacted by email on the following Monday. I ended up with an email on Tuesday, stating I was not selected to go further in the process...which would have been the face-to-face.

Admittedly, the phone interview was horrible, but no one is perfect. I haven't had to worry about doing an interview in years and when I did, it was a different time. It doesn't mean I would not have excelled at that job. Their loss.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

1. Completed online application.
    2. Completed online personality assessment and test of basic math and data analysis skills.
    3. Scheduled phone interview, which was cancelled by Progressive two days prior because the position had been filled.
    4. A couple of weeks later, I received notice that another position had opened. Another phone interview was scheduled.
    5. Phone interview completed with a recruiter in Cleveland. 40-45 minutes. Conversational. First half reviewed my work history, second half was STAR format questions: describe a policy you worked under that you didn't agree with; describe a time when you had to gain someone's trust. There were about 5 STAR questions.
    6. Recruiter set up expectation that I would hear something by the end of the week. Received email on Friday of that week that I was not moving on the in-person interview.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Applied online for a Claims Adjuster Trainee position on 10/20/14 (I believe the original posting date was either 10/15 or 10/17). I wrote a cover letter, sent my resume, filled out the online application and instantly received an email from Progressive stating that everything was received. That email gave me a link to follow up on my progress and suggested I check it daily. Every day I checked it, and every day it said my information was received but it hadn't been looked at yet with no actual contact from them at all in the meantime. Until today. This is what I received in an email.......22 days after submittng my information........"Thank you for your interest in our Claims Adjuster Trainee position. Unfortunately, the position closed before we were able to review your qualifications. We will keep your information on file and may contact you if a new position opens in that location." Seriously???? This is your idea of setting a good customer service example? You couldn't even look at my information in 22 days and yet your 'status' on this position was listed as 'active- seeking applications' as late as yesterday. Now, I could understand if I didn't have any experience or similar qualifications.......but I do...........many that actually parallel this position. I just can't believe you had so many submissions that you felt you didn't need to review all submissions....or maybe you did? Or maybe someone's friend got hired? If so, I would have preferred a full fledged rejection letter. I feel duped.....and incredibly disappointed.

Interview Questions
    • The online application is very basic with the most difficult question asking why you are chosing to leave your current employer. I wish I had the opportunity to go further in the process   Answer Question

Dec 17, 2014Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. If you would still like follow up, please reach out to us at careers@progressive.com. -KH, Recruiting

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2014.

I know that it can be nerve-wrecking trying to figure out the process so I will be as thorough as possible. First you must fill out an application online and pass the preliminary test that is given. (Don't worry it is not that bad). After passing this test you will be notified via email and asked to schedule a over the phone interview. My interviewer was very nice and made me feel completely at ease. MAKE SURE TO STUDY STAR FORMAT as the questions are designed around this format. After the interview concluded, I was told I would be contacted within a week if I was selected for an in person interview. Although I was selected to move on, the spot was filled before I was able to interview and I was told I would be notified as soon as the position opened again. Now fast forward several months. Although at this point Progressive was in the back of my mind, I was elated when my original interviewer asked me was I still interested. Since I was, I scheduled the first interview that I could get. When I went in for the in person interview, I must admit that the atmosphere was different. My interviewer was very nice, but I did not get the same easy feeling that I did with person that I had the over the phone interview with. The interview was a star based and my interview looked down at the paper almost the entire time as she wrote down what I was saying. It was hard for me to get a read for her and so when she told me that it would take several weeks to hear back, I honestly thought that I did not get the position. However to my surprise, three weeks later I received a call saying that I received the position! So excited for start.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to negotiate on your current job.   Answer Question
    There were no negotiations as the starting salary was very fair.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Process 1 month+
    Found job posted on Indeed.com applied to job through Progressive website. Would suggest adding this site to your favorites if you are interested in looking at all the jobs available- site is not set up for "job search" it is more for customer self service. Filled out application which is straight forward. Two days later got an invite for the assessment exam- which was not that difficult (basic math, P&L (profit/loss) graphs, behavioral). Two hours later I was told that I had passed and that I would be contacted by a recruiter. Two weeks later I received an email from the recruiter. It stated the times available for a phone interview and the format the interview would be conducted (STAR)- which I was used to because my former employer used the same format. She called promptly and the interview lasted about an hour and twenty minutes. Nothing in the interview was unexpected. I did ask her how many jobs were available and she told me one, but sometimes if there is a need and there are two very good candidates they can make exceptions. She told me not to worry about not having insurance experience because it sounds like I have a lot of the "soft skills" which are hard to teach, but the insurance part would be easy for them to teach me. She told me she would be contacting me to set up a in-person interview. A day later she wrote and told me what the day the interview would be (two weeks later) and I had 4 time options.

Arrived to interview 10 minutes early and the interviewer came and greeted me on time. The interview was conducted in private room, so there were no distractions. The interview was pretty straight forward only he started with the questions first then conducted the personal interview. Questions were very similar to the phone interview except there was a question about negotiation- how did you successfully negotiate in a situation. Same format was used (STAR). I did ask how many people did they interview for this job and how many jobs were available and he told me there was a total of three interviews and only one job.

At the end of the interview he told me that he was going to meet with the recruiter the next day and I could hear something maybe as early as Friday, but definitely early next week. I received no call or email. I then wrote to the recruiter on the following Wednesday just to "check in" and I received a automated reply that she would be out of the office until Friday. Then, on Friday at 2pm she call to tell they that they had selected another candidate. I asked what was the reason for their decision and she said the only thing different was that the other woman had "a little" experience in claims. She also told me that they reached out to the region requesting an additional job opening so that they could hire me, but unfortunately they had been turned down. She then told me that they maybe an opportunity in the future and she was 60% sure that there could be an opening by the end of the year, but this was not certain. I then asked if I would have to do this entire process again and she told me no.

I have to say I am a little disappointed that for a trainee position they went with someone that had experience. But, I am hopeful that I get a call back.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you had to successfully negotiate with someone. (not difficult, but I didn't expect it.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through their website about 3 weeks ago and completed the test. The next day I received an email to schedule the phone interview. I had the phone interview the following week...fairly easy...the recruiter was really nice and made the whole interview conversational. It took about an hour to finish...she told me right there and then that she would really like for me to move on to the face to face interview. She told me I would receive an email to set up a date and time.

Shortly after she sent me a day and time slots I could interview in...also I received the request for the background exam.

Today I had the face to face...the interviewer was extremely nice and gave me information about what they were looking for in a candidate.

Overall I think the interview went great...he said I was the first to interview out of 6 people...that I would be contacted next week after the interviews were over to see if I would receive an offer or not. I hope I do. I will update this when I find out.

UPDATE

A week and a half after my interview I have received an offer. And I accepted it... I start in two weeks. They let you give a two week notice from your current job which is awesome of them!

Interview Questions
    • What processes or procedures have you impacted with your current employer?

**Not difficult to answer but a little unexpected** As a manager, what is your work ethic and what do you expect from your employees?

Answer Question

Nov 6, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thanks for providing such detailed feedback about our process. Welcome to the Progressive family! –KH, Recruiting