Progressive Insurance

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

3.3

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in February 2015.

Step 1: applied online
Step 2: Emailed to take the online assessment
Step 3: Emailed to set up phone interview
Step 4: Phone Interview
Step 5: In-Person interview is next but I will be updated by the end of the week on my status

I can definitely say that this was one of the best interview experiences I have had. The person I talked to was very personable and made it feel like we were having more of a conversation between 2 friends about my past experiences. They set the expectation for how the interview process is going to go as soon as you answer the phone. You already know that the interview style is going to be target selection based after you schedule your phone interview and that you need to use the STAR method to answer your questions efficiently. I process was very easy and painless. I was initially very nervous going into the interview, but at the end I was extremely confident in the connection I made with the recruiter. She told me that she had a few other ppl she had to interview but she will be back in contact with me on Friday to let me know my status so we could schedule an in person interview. I hope that means I will get it. I will update this when I get my answer.

Interview Questions
  • Tell about a time that you received constructive feedback. How did you handle it and what was the outcome?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

An hour long STAR interview. I came on this site before my interview and I am glad I did because I would not have known about the "STAR" interview. I recommend researching the company (on glassdoor), look up those who will be interviewing you and see what you can find out about them and to see what they look like (if they have pics up) so you have some idea of whom you're speaking with. Practice interview with someone so that your comfortable. Make flash cards they helped me. One last thing if your not sure where the interview is and you don't have navigation take a trip a day or two before so you know where you're going. I'm still waiting to hear back.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2015.

applied online and heard back a couple of days later via email with a request to take an assessment test. It was pretty standard. Once that was submitted I received a request (via email) to set up a phone interview. This took place approx. 1 week later. The interview was based on the STAR method and really kept you thinking. The total interview lasted approx 45 min. I was emailed 4-5 days later saying that I did not get the job but if I gained any more experience in the insurance field to contact the recruiter as they would be willing to reconsider my application. This is for a trainee position. I feel that I was truthful in my application and resume and that they knew before setting me up for this whole process what my experience was. If it wasnt enough, I never should have been contacted. If an experienced associate is whats needed then maybe that should be listed in the job description or trainee removed from the title

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

She started with simple facts about me and my abilities which was about half of the time spent on the phone then went to the STAR questions. None of the 50 or so questions I had composed answers for were asked. The questions were bizzare and have of them I had to just make something up. I got no feedback to let me know when to stop talking and when I did stop talking there was a long pause that made me more and more nervous. I feel like after I prepared for many days that it was impossible to prepare for this. I don't remember the exact question but Name a time when you saved the day.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you were resposible for a product that significantly improved the company.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

I applied almost two months ago (10/30). It is now 12/22 and I received an email from Progressive stating "Unfortunately, the position closed before we were able to review your qualifications." So, you're telling me that in TWO MONTHS, you did not have time to review my application? I put in a great deal of time tweaking my resume, writing a cover letter, and filling out the online application, yet Progressive doesn't even have the courtesy to review my information. I was well qualified for the position and, as another person who received this same email said, "I feel duped!" I would rather be rejected than to be ignored. I don't recommend applying for this company. They clearly DO NOT CARE about job seekers. What a waste of time! I will never apply with this company again.

Progressive Insurance Response

Jan 28, 2015Talent Acquisition

We understand your frustration and do take your comments seriously. This feedback helps us to continue improving upon our process. -KH,Recruiting

Anonymous Employee in Wilkinsburg, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Wilkinsburg, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2015.

Step 1 - Online Assessment. It was lengthy and time consuming.
    Step 2 - Phone Interview. Apparently, they sometimes farm out these calls and I was talking to a third party person (this is according to the Claims Manager I interviewed with in the next step).
    Step 3 - In-Person Interview. They ask a lot of the same questions as asked over the phone.

I was not offered the job and I'm glad. I was very excited about the position, but after further research decided it wasn't for me. The interview process was pretty standard except for two things. 1) They started running a background check through HireRight (third party verifier) before I even interviewed in-person. It seemed very odd to have that going on before an offer was made. 2) I would have preferred an email telling me I didn't get the job. The Talent Acquisition person called and left a message. I assumed it was good news. When I returned the call, she was cheerful and made small talk before telling me the bad news. It was insensitive and unnecessary. I emailed her the day before, she could have simply replied.

Interview Questions
    • The asked a lot about negotiating and how you make people see things your way. STAR format.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in December 2014.

I applied online on December 15th, 2014. Passing the resume review, the online assessment test followed a day later. I passed that, then got an email to schedule a phone interview, originally received on Dec. 24th, but being the holiday, I didn't get to check my email until the 26th.

Their earliest available dates were the last 3 days of the month, so I scheduled for the last day. With all that I had going on that week, it was all I could do.

The phone interview went on, as scheduled, and I was told I would be contacted by email on the following Monday. I ended up with an email on Tuesday, stating I was not selected to go further in the process...which would have been the face-to-face.

Admittedly, the phone interview was horrible, but no one is perfect. I haven't had to worry about doing an interview in years and when I did, it was a different time. It doesn't mean I would not have excelled at that job. Their loss.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Applied online for a Claims Adjuster Trainee position on 10/20/14 (I believe the original posting date was either 10/15 or 10/17). I wrote a cover letter, sent my resume, filled out the online application and instantly received an email from Progressive stating that everything was received. That email gave me a link to follow up on my progress and suggested I check it daily. Every day I checked it, and every day it said my information was received but it hadn't been looked at yet with no actual contact from them at all in the meantime. Until today. This is what I received in an email.......22 days after submittng my information........"Thank you for your interest in our Claims Adjuster Trainee position. Unfortunately, the position closed before we were able to review your qualifications. We will keep your information on file and may contact you if a new position opens in that location." Seriously???? This is your idea of setting a good customer service example? You couldn't even look at my information in 22 days and yet your 'status' on this position was listed as 'active- seeking applications' as late as yesterday. Now, I could understand if I didn't have any experience or similar qualifications.......but I do...........many that actually parallel this position. I just can't believe you had so many submissions that you felt you didn't need to review all submissions....or maybe you did? Or maybe someone's friend got hired? If so, I would have preferred a full fledged rejection letter. I feel duped.....and incredibly disappointed.

Interview Questions
    • The online application is very basic with the most difficult question asking why you are chosing to leave your current employer. I wish I had the opportunity to go further in the process   Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Dec 17, 2014Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. If you would still like follow up, please reach out to us at careers@progressive.com. -KH, Recruiting

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

1. Completed online application.
    2. Completed online personality assessment and test of basic math and data analysis skills.
    3. Scheduled phone interview, which was cancelled by Progressive two days prior because the position had been filled.
    4. A couple of weeks later, I received notice that another position had opened. Another phone interview was scheduled.
    5. Phone interview completed with a recruiter in Cleveland. 40-45 minutes. Conversational. First half reviewed my work history, second half was STAR format questions: describe a policy you worked under that you didn't agree with; describe a time when you had to gain someone's trust. There were about 5 STAR questions.
    6. Recruiter set up expectation that I would hear something by the end of the week. Received email on Friday of that week that I was not moving on the in-person interview.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2014.

I know that it can be nerve-wrecking trying to figure out the process so I will be as thorough as possible. First you must fill out an application online and pass the preliminary test that is given. (Don't worry it is not that bad). After passing this test you will be notified via email and asked to schedule a over the phone interview. My interviewer was very nice and made me feel completely at ease. MAKE SURE TO STUDY STAR FORMAT as the questions are designed around this format. After the interview concluded, I was told I would be contacted within a week if I was selected for an in person interview. Although I was selected to move on, the spot was filled before I was able to interview and I was told I would be notified as soon as the position opened again. Now fast forward several months. Although at this point Progressive was in the back of my mind, I was elated when my original interviewer asked me was I still interested. Since I was, I scheduled the first interview that I could get. When I went in for the in person interview, I must admit that the atmosphere was different. My interviewer was very nice, but I did not get the same easy feeling that I did with person that I had the over the phone interview with. The interview was a star based and my interview looked down at the paper almost the entire time as she wrote down what I was saying. It was hard for me to get a read for her and so when she told me that it would take several weeks to hear back, I honestly thought that I did not get the position. However to my surprise, three weeks later I received a call saying that I received the position! So excited for start.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to negotiate on your current job.   Answer Question
    There were no negotiations as the starting salary was very fair.