Progressive Insurance Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014

3.4

49 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Applied online, invited to take assessment the next business day. Received email to schedule phone interview within a few hours after taking assessment. Emailed included link on what to expect in the phone interview which is STAR format questions. Prepared by writing out diff situations that applied to each STAR questions. Phone interview included about 6-7 star questions. Was told I would be moved on to in person interview at the end of the conversation. Scheduled in person interview for 1 week later. That interview was almost identical to phone interview and focused on STAR questions. Received call from recruiter the next business day with offer.

Interview Questions
No negotiation. Offer was at high end of scale.

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

I was referred for the job by a current employee. I filled out the online application and received an email a few days later thanking me for submitting an application and that I should be on the lookout for an email containing next steps soon. I already knew from the person who referred me that there would be an online assessment. This assessment contains some math and personality questions. I received an email with instructions for the online assessment a few days later and was given about a week to complete it. The math was pretty basic--they would have a list of numbers and you had to determine what the next number would be in the sequence. They also had different charts and would ask questions like "If this trend were to continue what would you expect the company's profits to be in 2 months". For the personality questions--they basically want to see how you would handle different scenarios at work. Don't second guess yourself. Make sure you research the company so that you can know the best way to answer these questions. ( It may help to read each question aloud saying "If I were working at Progressive I would..."). After I submitted my assessment I received an email the following day saying that I passed and was given a date and time for my phone interview. I researched a lot of behavioral questions in advance and made sure to have examples prepared ahead of time. The interviewer was very nice and was easy to speak to. She asked me a little about my resume and then we jumped into the STAR questions. I was a little nervous at first but I got into the flow of things after the 1st STAR question. I was glad that I had prepared my answers in advance because a lot of the questions she asked were similar to what I had written down! After the interview she said that I would hear back within a few days either way.. I didn't really know how to take this since she didn't really say whether I had passed or not. I thought I did a really good job but she simply thanked me and said that she'd be in touch. About two hours later she called me back saying that I had passed the phone interview and that I would be moving on! We scheduled an in-person interview and she told me I would be given more STAR questions during the next interview. She also gave me recommendations on how I could better prepare for the in person interview. I was initially scheduled for an in person interview, but at the last minute the recruiter had to cancel because of a problem at one of the local offices. Currently waiting to reschedule.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you didn't agree with your supervisor's decision.
      What didn't you like about your last job?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cutler Ridge, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cutler Ridge, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in August 2014.

Application was done online. Then, took an assessment based on math and what you would do questions. After that, phone interview which was scheduled; which consisted of STAR format questions. I was told and I would be contacted for a possible in person interview. It took almost a week to find out I was not going to move to the next step.

I did not quite understand how I could not get nailed this since I was really prepared. Most likely, interviewer did not write my inputs correctly; this could be translated as a lost from my end. Believe it or not, I did have a few examples in order to target each STAR question.

Interview Questions
    • None, pretty straight forward if you follow the pattern.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

After applying through their website, I received an e-mail a month later to complete their online assessment. They give you two hours to complete this assessment and I found myself having completed it after 15-20 minutes. I received another e-mail stating that I had passed and to expect a recruiter to either e-mail or call me to set up a phone interview. A week after that e-mail, another e-mail was sent and asked me to schedule a date/time for the phone interview. When I checked into their scheduling, only one to two times were available and both times were while I was at work (9-10 am, or 10-11 am).

My personal preference is not to schedule phone interviews while I'm at work. Call me old fashioned or whatever you will, but interviewing for a new job while at work shows a complete lack of respect for your current employer and is wholly unprofessional. I wasn't going to do it, and I was hopeful that Progressive would understand and offer me a solution. I e-mailed their recruiter via a link in the e-mail, and explained that the available times for an interview fell during times I was at work.

A day later, I received a phone call asking me to contact a recruiter at a provided number to schedule a time for the phone interview. I was planning on calling them back once I returned home, but received another call from the recruiter later in the day, asking why I hadn't returned their call. I was still at work! The recruiter, in possibly the rudest tone I've ever heard from an HR "professional", stated that they hardly ever accommodated people requesting early evening phone interviews. My mistake for thinking they were actually interested in talking with me. Why companies insist on having people on the east coast conduct the phone interviews is beyond me. Are there no capable recruiters on the west coast (where I live) able to conduct these phone interviews? I work from 5 am - 2:30 pm PST, and you just know those recruiters are working from 9 am - 5 pm EST. So yeah, I guess no time they offered would have worked for me. However, I was not going to take an interview while at work, it was too short notice to take any time off, and considering the recruiter's tone in the second voice mail, I'm glad I didn't waste my time with Progressive. I withdrew my application immediately upon returning home.

Interview Questions
    • Most Unexpected - Not being treated respectfully by the recruiter and being made to feel that standing by my principles were an undesirable quality.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

They first have to accept your application which took about 3 weeks. Then take an assessment consisting of basic math and what would you do questions. If you pass then they give a phone interview which consisted of STAR format questions and past education and work history. She told me I did good on the phone interview and would schedule me for an in person interview. It took about a week for her to get back to me for an interview and the interview was scheduled for a week after that. Interview was easier than the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • All interview questions were expected to be answered in STAR format, so be prepared with examples.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2014.

I applied on May 25, 2014 and was contacted by a recruiter for an initial phone screen Jun 26, 2014. I had a face to face interview with the Hiring Manager in Mid-July.

The parties (recruiter & hm) were very friendly and receptive to my questions.

Although the process has been a little longer than preferred, it has been a rather smooth interaction with the company.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't rate this as a difficult or unexpected question, but I was asked why I wanted to transition into a role in the Insurance industry.   View Answer
    The salary was pretty much determined from the application phase.

Although a significant reduction from my current salary, I was able to obtain a few thousands more on the base.

Claims Adjusters Trainee Interview

It is a longer process that is quite thorough. Assessment tests, background checks, multiple interviews, and simulations are all part of the fun. It has been three weeks for my self at this time. So far all has gone well and I am looking forward to an offer soon. Just be calm and use Customer Service skills!

Interview Questions
    • Just make sure you use the STAR format while answering questions and use specific examples.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in June 2014.

I applied through their website. After a couple of emails from them keeping me updated on the process I finally get an email to schedule a phone interview two weeks later. Phone interview was about an hour long and I was asked about my former jobs and education. Then comes the tricky part. They use STAR questions which is pretty much answered as if you were like story telling. They ask for specific situations and how you handled them. Recruiter was nice and patient with me. Recruiter then proceeds to tell me that I passed and that the next step is to set up an interview with the manager at the office I applied for. That interview comes a week later. It starts off with regular questions about my past jobs and education. Then comes more STAR questions. This time around I was more prepared and pretty much memorized all sorts of situations. I did my research leading up to the interview and saw which STAR questions were the most common so I wouldn't get caught flat footed. The manager must have been satisfied with my responses because he barely asked questions meaning I covered everything he was looking for. I initially thought the interview would be longer because I read that for some people it took 1-2 hours long but I was done in 30-40 minutes. The manager was very well spoken and answered all the questions I had. Make sure to come up with good questions!! He then thanked me for coming and told me that I would be receiving a call sometime the next week with their decision. I felt all in all the interview went great but I didn't want to get my hopes up. The anticipation was killing me but early that next week I got the call and got offered the job. The person who called me was the one I had the phone interview with. She was genuinely happy for me. I thought it was a nice gesture.

Interview Questions
    • The STAR questions are tricky but they let you take your time so you can remember a specific situation. Don't be scared to take as much time as possible.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2014.

After filling out an application was sent to online assessment that took about half hour. Scheduled phone interview in about a week with 7-8 STAR format questions, education, work history and reason for applying to Progressive. IMO, STAR format is the worst interview format for an entry level position! I was told that situations I described were not complex enough. How am I supposed to have experienced overly complex situations when I just graduated and only have basic work experience?!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a process that you have implemented for dealing with too many tasks and give and example of how you used it,.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

The hiring process was a bit long. First your resume had to be accepted and after that process you must pass an assessment. You get the results of the assessment within a few hours. Once you pass the assessment you get a time to schedule your phone interview. My phone interview went great. Took about an hour. Make sure you prepare and use the STAR format. After the phone interview there is an in person interview. Same format, using STAR although, during my interview we did go off track a bit and off the STAR format. About a week after my in person interview I got a call saying that my interview went extremely well and that they would like to offer me the job!

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you could have taken several paths to resolve an issue, which path did you take and why?   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!