Progressive Insurance Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview Questions

3.4

47 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cutler Ridge, FL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cutler Ridge, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in August 2014.

Application was done online. Then, took an assessment based on math and what you would do questions. After that, phone interview which was scheduled; which consisted of STAR format questions. I was told and I would be contacted for a possible in person interview. It took almost a week to find out I was not going to move to the next step.

I did not quite understand how I could not get nailed this since I was really prepared. Most likely, interviewer did not write my inputs correctly; this could be translated as a lost from my end. Believe it or not, I did have a few examples in order to target each STAR question.

Interview Questions
  • None, pretty straight forward if you follow the pattern.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

After applying through their website, I received an e-mail a month later to complete their online assessment. They give you two hours to complete this assessment and I found myself having completed it after 15-20 minutes. I received another e-mail stating that I had passed and to expect a recruiter to either e-mail or call me to set up a phone interview. A week after that e-mail, another e-mail was sent and asked me to schedule a date/time for the phone interview. When I checked into their scheduling, only one to two times were available and both times were while I was at work (9-10 am, or 10-11 am).

My personal preference is not to schedule phone interviews while I'm at work. Call me old fashioned or whatever you will, but interviewing for a new job while at work shows a complete lack of respect for your current employer and is wholly unprofessional. I wasn't going to do it, and I was hopeful that Progressive would understand and offer me a solution. I e-mailed their recruiter via a link in the e-mail, and explained that the available times for an interview fell during times I was at work.

A day later, I received a phone call asking me to contact a recruiter at a provided number to schedule a time for the phone interview. I was planning on calling them back once I returned home, but received another call from the recruiter later in the day, asking why I hadn't returned their call. I was still at work! The recruiter, in possibly the rudest tone I've ever heard from an HR "professional", stated that they hardly ever accommodated people requesting early evening phone interviews. My mistake for thinking they were actually interested in talking with me. Why companies insist on having people on the east coast conduct the phone interviews is beyond me. Are there no capable recruiters on the west coast (where I live) able to conduct these phone interviews? I work from 5 am - 2:30 pm PST, and you just know those recruiters are working from 9 am - 5 pm EST. So yeah, I guess no time they offered would have worked for me. However, I was not going to take an interview while at work, it was too short notice to take any time off, and considering the recruiter's tone in the second voice mail, I'm glad I didn't waste my time with Progressive. I withdrew my application immediately upon returning home.

Interview Questions
    • Most Unexpected - Not being treated respectfully by the recruiter and being made to feel that standing by my principles were an undesirable quality.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

They first have to accept your application which took about 3 weeks. Then take an assessment consisting of basic math and what would you do questions. If you pass then they give a phone interview which consisted of STAR format questions and past education and work history. She told me I did good on the phone interview and would schedule me for an in person interview. It took about a week for her to get back to me for an interview and the interview was scheduled for a week after that. Interview was easier than the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • All interview questions were expected to be answered in STAR format, so be prepared with examples.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2014.

I applied on May 25, 2014 and was contacted by a recruiter for an initial phone screen Jun 26, 2014. I had a face to face interview with the Hiring Manager in Mid-July.

The parties (recruiter & hm) were very friendly and receptive to my questions.

Although the process has been a little longer than preferred, it has been a rather smooth interaction with the company.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't rate this as a difficult or unexpected question, but I was asked why I wanted to transition into a role in the Insurance industry.   View Answer
    The salary was pretty much determined from the application phase.

Although a significant reduction from my current salary, I was able to obtain a few thousands more on the base.

Claims Adjusters Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

It is a longer process that is quite thorough. Assessment tests, background checks, multiple interviews, and simulations are all part of the fun. It has been three weeks for my self at this time. So far all has gone well and I am looking forward to an offer soon. Just be calm and use Customer Service skills!

Interview Questions
    • Just make sure you use the STAR format while answering questions and use specific examples.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in June 2014.

I applied through their website. After a couple of emails from them keeping me updated on the process I finally get an email to schedule a phone interview two weeks later. Phone interview was about an hour long and I was asked about my former jobs and education. Then comes the tricky part. They use STAR questions which is pretty much answered as if you were like story telling. They ask for specific situations and how you handled them. Recruiter was nice and patient with me. Recruiter then proceeds to tell me that I passed and that the next step is to set up an interview with the manager at the office I applied for. That interview comes a week later. It starts off with regular questions about my past jobs and education. Then comes more STAR questions. This time around I was more prepared and pretty much memorized all sorts of situations. I did my research leading up to the interview and saw which STAR questions were the most common so I wouldn't get caught flat footed. The manager must have been satisfied with my responses because he barely asked questions meaning I covered everything he was looking for. I initially thought the interview would be longer because I read that for some people it took 1-2 hours long but I was done in 30-40 minutes. The manager was very well spoken and answered all the questions I had. Make sure to come up with good questions!! He then thanked me for coming and told me that I would be receiving a call sometime the next week with their decision. I felt all in all the interview went great but I didn't want to get my hopes up. The anticipation was killing me but early that next week I got the call and got offered the job. The person who called me was the one I had the phone interview with. She was genuinely happy for me. I thought it was a nice gesture.

Interview Questions
    • The STAR questions are tricky but they let you take your time so you can remember a specific situation. Don't be scared to take as much time as possible.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2014.

After filling out an application was sent to online assessment that took about half hour. Scheduled phone interview in about a week with 7-8 STAR format questions, education, work history and reason for applying to Progressive. IMO, STAR format is the worst interview format for an entry level position! I was told that situations I described were not complex enough. How am I supposed to have experienced overly complex situations when I just graduated and only have basic work experience?!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a process that you have implemented for dealing with too many tasks and give and example of how you used it,.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

The hiring process was a bit long. First your resume had to be accepted and after that process you must pass an assessment. You get the results of the assessment within a few hours. Once you pass the assessment you get a time to schedule your phone interview. My phone interview went great. Took about an hour. Make sure you prepare and use the STAR format. After the phone interview there is an in person interview. Same format, using STAR although, during my interview we did go off track a bit and off the STAR format. About a week after my in person interview I got a call saying that my interview went extremely well and that they would like to offer me the job!

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you could have taken several paths to resolve an issue, which path did you take and why?   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in June 2014.

I applied online on their user friendly system. After applying, I got an email from them in about 2 weeks letting me know I passed the initial evaluation. Then I took their online test which was a combination of basic math, graph analysis, and behavioral questions. A couple of hours after submitting the test, I got an email saying I passed it and to wait for an email or phone call for scheduling a phone interview. I moved on tto the in person interview and made it. I accepted their job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about 7-8 STARS interview questions on phone interview. The interviewer was very good at making me feel comfortable.   View Answer
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glen Burnie, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Burnie, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in May 2014.

The Interview process was fairly easy. I first completed an online assessment. This assesment evaluates your basic math and behavioral and problem solving skills. Upon completion I received an email stating I passed and the next step would be a phone Interview. I was able to select the time. The phone interview was a series of about 7-8 behavioral questions. ex., Explain a time when.... the phone recruiter was very personable and easy to speak with. At the end of the interview she made sure to tell me that I did a great job and that she would send her recommendation to the hiring manager for an in-person interview. I received a phone call about a few days later scheduling me for the inperson interview. She was sure to tell me to prepare for STAR format behavioral question, to research the company and specifically be able to answer why I want to work for progressive and why I want to work in the claims adjuster position. Interview was fairly comfortable, I interviewed with the district manager. She asked about 7-8 star format behavioral questions, showed me around the facility and gave me an opportunity to ask her any questions. She informed me I would know a decision either way within 3 days. In exactly 3 days the recruiter called to offer me the job.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you did not agree with your supervisor.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. The offer was more than expected.

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!