Progressive Insurance

Updated Nov 17, 2014

3.3

57 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

1. Completed online application.
2. Completed online personality assessment and test of basic math and data analysis skills.
3. Scheduled phone interview, which was cancelled by Progressive two days prior because the position had been filled.
4. A couple of weeks later, I received notice that another position had opened. Another phone interview was scheduled.
5. Phone interview completed with a recruiter in Cleveland. 40-45 minutes. Conversational. First half reviewed my work history, second half was STAR format questions: describe a policy you worked under that you didn't agree with; describe a time when you had to gain someone's trust. There were about 5 STAR questions.
6. Recruiter set up expectation that I would hear something by the end of the week. Received email on Friday of that week that I was not moving on the in-person interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Applied online for a Claims Adjuster Trainee position on 10/20/14 (I believe the original posting date was either 10/15 or 10/17). I wrote a cover letter, sent my resume, filled out the online application and instantly received an email from Progressive stating that everything was received. That email gave me a link to follow up on my progress and suggested I check it daily. Every day I checked it, and every day it said my information was received but it hadn't been looked at yet with no actual contact from them at all in the meantime. Until today. This is what I received in an email.......22 days after submittng my information........"Thank you for your interest in our Claims Adjuster Trainee position. Unfortunately, the position closed before we were able to review your qualifications. We will keep your information on file and may contact you if a new position opens in that location." Seriously???? This is your idea of setting a good customer service example? You couldn't even look at my information in 22 days and yet your 'status' on this position was listed as 'active- seeking applications' as late as yesterday. Now, I could understand if I didn't have any experience or similar qualifications.......but I do...........many that actually parallel this position. I just can't believe you had so many submissions that you felt you didn't need to review all submissions....or maybe you did? Or maybe someone's friend got hired? If so, I would have preferred a full fledged rejection letter. I feel duped.....and incredibly disappointed.

Interview Questions
    • The online application is very basic with the most difficult question asking why you are chosing to leave your current employer. I wish I had the opportunity to go further in the process   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Process 1 month+
    Found job posted on Indeed.com applied to job through Progressive website. Would suggest adding this site to your favorites if you are interested in looking at all the jobs available- site is not set up for "job search" it is more for customer self service. Filled out application which is straight forward. Two days later got an invite for the assessment exam- which was not that difficult (basic math, P&L (profit/loss) graphs, behavioral). Two hours later I was told that I had passed and that I would be contacted by a recruiter. Two weeks later I received an email from the recruiter. It stated the times available for a phone interview and the format the interview would be conducted (STAR)- which I was used to because my former employer used the same format. She called promptly and the interview lasted about an hour and twenty minutes. Nothing in the interview was unexpected. I did ask her how many jobs were available and she told me one, but sometimes if there is a need and there are two very good candidates they can make exceptions. She told me not to worry about not having insurance experience because it sounds like I have a lot of the "soft skills" which are hard to teach, but the insurance part would be easy for them to teach me. She told me she would be contacting me to set up a in-person interview. A day later she wrote and told me what the day the interview would be (two weeks later) and I had 4 time options.

Arrived to interview 10 minutes early and the interviewer came and greeted me on time. The interview was conducted in private room, so there were no distractions. The interview was pretty straight forward only he started with the questions first then conducted the personal interview. Questions were very similar to the phone interview except there was a question about negotiation- how did you successfully negotiate in a situation. Same format was used (STAR). I did ask how many people did they interview for this job and how many jobs were available and he told me there was a total of three interviews and only one job.

At the end of the interview he told me that he was going to meet with the recruiter the next day and I could hear something maybe as early as Friday, but definitely early next week. I received no call or email. I then wrote to the recruiter on the following Wednesday just to "check in" and I received a automated reply that she would be out of the office until Friday. Then, on Friday at 2pm she call to tell they that they had selected another candidate. I asked what was the reason for their decision and she said the only thing different was that the other woman had "a little" experience in claims. She also told me that they reached out to the region requesting an additional job opening so that they could hire me, but unfortunately they had been turned down. She then told me that they maybe an opportunity in the future and she was 60% sure that there could be an opening by the end of the year, but this was not certain. I then asked if I would have to do this entire process again and she told me no.

I have to say I am a little disappointed that for a trainee position they went with someone that had experience. But, I am hopeful that I get a call back.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you had to successfully negotiate with someone. (not difficult, but I didn't expect it.)   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

The process took several months. Phone interview, background check, and interview. Nothing too difficult. The process could have went much faster though. A 2 person interview. Typical interview questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through their website about 3 weeks ago and completed the test. The next day I received an email to schedule the phone interview. I had the phone interview the following week...fairly easy...the recruiter was really nice and made the whole interview conversational. It took about an hour to finish...she told me right there and then that she would really like for me to move on to the face to face interview. She told me I would receive an email to set up a date and time.

Shortly after she sent me a day and time slots I could interview in...also I received the request for the background exam.

Today I had the face to face...the interviewer was extremely nice and gave me information about what they were looking for in a candidate.

Overall I think the interview went great...he said I was the first to interview out of 6 people...that I would be contacted next week after the interviews were over to see if I would receive an offer or not. I hope I do. I will update this when I find out.

UPDATE

A week and a half after my interview I have received an offer. And I accepted it... I start in two weeks. They let you give a two week notice from your current job which is awesome of them!

Interview Questions
    • What processes or procedures have you impacted with your current employer?

**Not difficult to answer but a little unexpected** As a manager, what is your work ethic and what do you expect from your employees?
        Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Nov 6, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thanks for providing such detailed feedback about our process. Welcome to the Progressive family! –KH, Recruiting

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Applied online. Received email with link to assessment almost a month after application. Received email with link to schedule phone interview. Had phone interview a week after assessment. Was not offered opportunity with a one on one interview. Evidently my replies to their questions didn't display the complexity that they wanted for this position. Oh well their loss, I'll take my talents and work ethic to a company that can better appreciate them.

Customer satisfaction reviews with this company are generally unfavorable. Might have something to do with the fact that they hire candidates that interview well but don't deliver results in the real world.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with a irate customer who was dissatisfied with their service. What did you do?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Applied online, invited to take assessment the next business day. Received email to schedule phone interview within a few hours after taking assessment. Emailed included link on what to expect in the phone interview which is STAR format questions. Prepared by writing out diff situations that applied to each STAR questions. Phone interview included about 6-7 star questions. Was told I would be moved on to in person interview at the end of the conversation. Scheduled in person interview for 1 week later. That interview was almost identical to phone interview and focused on STAR questions. Received call from recruiter the next business day with offer.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Offer was at high end of scale.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

I was referred for the job by a current employee. I filled out the online application and received an email a few days later thanking me for submitting an application and that I should be on the lookout for an email containing next steps soon. I already knew from the person who referred me that there would be an online assessment. This assessment contains some math and personality questions. I received an email with instructions for the online assessment a few days later and was given about a week to complete it. The math was pretty basic--they would have a list of numbers and you had to determine what the next number would be in the sequence. They also had different charts and would ask questions like "If this trend were to continue what would you expect the company's profits to be in 2 months". For the personality questions--they basically want to see how you would handle different scenarios at work. Don't second guess yourself. Make sure you research the company so that you can know the best way to answer these questions. ( It may help to read each question aloud saying "If I were working at Progressive I would..."). After I submitted my assessment I received an email the following day saying that I passed and was given a date and time for my phone interview. I researched a lot of behavioral questions in advance and made sure to have examples prepared ahead of time. The interviewer was very nice and was easy to speak to. She asked me a little about my resume and then we jumped into the STAR questions. I was a little nervous at first but I got into the flow of things after the 1st STAR question. I was glad that I had prepared my answers in advance because a lot of the questions she asked were similar to what I had written down! After the interview she said that I would hear back within a few days either way.. I didn't really know how to take this since she didn't really say whether I had passed or not. I thought I did a really good job but she simply thanked me and said that she'd be in touch. About two hours later she called me back saying that I had passed the phone interview and that I would be moving on! We scheduled an in-person interview and she told me I would be given more STAR questions during the next interview. She also gave me recommendations on how I could better prepare for the in person interview. I was initially scheduled for an in person interview, but at the last minute the recruiter had to cancel because of a problem at one of the local offices. Currently waiting to reschedule.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you didn't agree with your supervisor's decision.
      What didn't you like about your last job?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in September 2014.

Start by completing an online assessment with lots of questions that have no right/wrong answer. A few questions are actually interpreting charts/graphs. Then a phone interview with a recruiter who asks 5-7 STAR questions, followed by an in-person interview with the actual location. Got to the in-person interview and the interviewer actually skipped a question he was supposed to ask me because he said it was redundant. We laughed throughout the interview and I thought I did exceptionally well. He even said I did great and I got a good vibe before I left. He told me I would receive a call from my recruiter in less than a week. I waited over a week after calling the recruiter myself, and she finally gets back to me to tell me I have not been chosen. Gave some generic feedback for me that did not make sense, and poorly answered my questions. Anyways I had multiple years experience doing independent appraisals as well as customer service, so I thought I was extremely qualified.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to take renovate a method in which you used in terms of planning and staying organized.   View Answer

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

They first have to accept your application which took about 3 weeks. Then take an assessment consisting of basic math and what would you do questions. If you pass then they give a phone interview which consisted of STAR format questions and past education and work history. She told me I did good on the phone interview and would schedule me for an in person interview. It took about a week for her to get back to me for an interview and the interview was scheduled for a week after that. Interview was easier than the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • All interview questions were expected to be answered in STAR format, so be prepared with examples.   View Answer