Progressive Insurance

Average Difficulty
39 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online on their user friendly system. After applying, I got an email from them in about 2 weeks letting me know I passed the initial evaluation. Then I took their online test which was a combination of basic math, graph analysis, and behavioral questions. A couple of hours after submitting the test, I got an email saying I passed it and to wait for an email or phone call for scheduling a phone interview. I moved on tto the in person interview and made it. I accepted their job offer.

Interview Question – Asked about 7-8 STARS interview questions on phone interview. The interviewer was very good at making me feel comfortable.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Glen Burnie, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in May 2014.

Interview Details – The Interview process was fairly easy. I first completed an online assessment. This assesment evaluates your basic math and behavioral and problem solving skills. Upon completion I received an email stating I passed and the next step would be a phone Interview. I was able to select the time. The phone interview was a series of about 7-8 behavioral questions. ex., Explain a time when.... the phone recruiter was very personable and easy to speak with. At the end of the interview she made sure to tell me that I did a great job and that she would send her recommendation to the hiring manager for an in-person interview. I received a phone call about a few days later scheduling me for the inperson interview. She was sure to tell me to prepare for STAR format behavioral question, to research the company and specifically be able to answer why I want to work for progressive and why I want to work in the claims adjuster position. Interview was fairly comfortable, I interviewed with the district manager. She asked about 7-8 star format behavioral questions, showed me around the facility and gave me an opportunity to ask her any questions. She informed me I would know a decision either way within 3 days. In exactly 3 days the recruiter called to offer me the job.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you did not agree with your supervisor.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The offer was more than expected.

Claims Adjuster Trainee

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and soon was e-mailed to take an online test. Like a lot of reviews, it was fairly quick, although you can take up to 2 hours to complete. Shortly after that I received an e-mail that I passed the test and they wanted to conduct a phone interview. It took about a week to get the e-mail to schedule my phone interview. I had prepared-reviewing the website and had scenarios for questions. I felt prepared. I was called at the time I had chosen. The recruiter seemed nice enough. Toward the end, she definitely was seeming annoyed. I guess I was not discussing my current role enough, but when you have been working somewhere for years, versus months, it's pretty simple to discuss where you have more scenarios and experience. At this point, I felt she reprimanded me and told me what I do in my current role and told me how to answer the question. I was so put off. I have never been spoken to in that matter in an interview! Needless to say, the interview ended. I was not surprised when a week later I got an e-mail explaining that I will not be moving forward. That's okay with me. If your recruiters are rude, I can only imagine how others are. In the end you'll get a survey asking how you felt the interview process went.

Interview Question – A lot of STAR questions   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – I submit my application 6/3/14 and was then emailed stating that I had moved on in the interview process, I then was sent a link to perform the employee assessment test a day later, the test was composed of about 50 questions. I was nervous at first but it wasn't as difficult as I expected, I'm terrible at math and there are charts and graphs and questions about predicting future outcomes, then there were several behavioral questions. I took the test in about an hour and then was emailed the next day stating I had passed the test and would be moving forward to a phone interview. I have my phone interview for this Wednesday and am studying the STAR format as mentioned in the email. Hopefully the I do well and will move forward to the in person interview!!! :)

Interview Question – The graphs and tables on the assessment were a bit confusing but nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – Applied online and a few days later I received an email stating that they were impressed with my credentials and that I needed to take an online assessment that included basic mathbproblems and a personality test. I hate doing personality test because I never do well with them. I did some research on the type of test that would be given and garnered some great insight on how to approach the test. The advice was to answer as if you're the perfect employee and another tip was to mentally add the phrase "at work" to the end of each question. These were great tactics because I passed my first personality test. The math portion of the test was very easy. It dealt basically with projections and reading charts.

I after I completed the test I received an email a few hours later stating that I passed and that i would move on to the phone interview portion of the process. I received an email link to the scheduling calendar and schedule my interview for 5 days later, because I wanted to research the company and the STAR interview method that they said they would be using.

My phone interview went well. I was nervous at first but the recruiter put me at ease and once we established a rapport I was able to answer the questions in full detail.
Before the recruiter started the questions she did inform me that the answer should be in STAR FORMAT, in order to save time. I would advise you to write the main points of the questions down so you don't forget the question or get off-track.

This Glaasdoor website provided a ton of information, I garnered at least 20 different STAR questions from here. The interview lasted about an hour even though the pace was very fast. Maintain control and make sure that you get your important points across.

I received an email today stating that I made it to the next time to interview with the hiring manager but that I needed to pass the background check stage first. The in~person interview may be about a week away. So I'll start preparing for that and smoothing out my presentation.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to obtain information from someone who was not as forthcoming as they should have been?   Answer Question

Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Was sent an email link to an online test. First half was questions requiring the recognition of trends and minor calculations. Second part was questions to determine personality traits. Then a basic phone interview.

Interview Question – Name a specific time where you help to develope or implement a new process at a job.   Answer Question

Albany, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in April 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my application and resume on their website. I received an e-mail notifying my that I was selected to take their online test to be considered for the position.

The online test was straightforward and I was given two hours to complete, although I finished it in about forty minutes. The test consisted of basic graphs and reports and being able to interpret the information provided and determine trends. An example would be showing a graph of sales results and asking what the result would be in the next quarter if the current trends were sustained. Then there were behavioral questions asking how you would deal with certain situations. The test was pretty easy and I was notified a few days afterwards that I had passed, although no specifics were given as to my score.

Then I was notified that I would be able to schedule a phone interview. The interviewer called me right on the scheduled time and asked a series of behavioral questions about my experience and past work situations. They are all STAR format questions which the Progressive website gives you insight on to the type of questions to expect. The most important aspect is to be as detailed and specific as possible when giving answers and not to generalize. The woman who interviewed me was very nice and after about an hour on the phone she told me I would be selected for an in-person interview. I was then called later that day by another woman who setup the in-person interview appointment and sent me an e-mail with the location and who to ask for. In addition to this you are to submit to a background check by HireRight and you will be e-mailed the link to a questionnaire to complete.

The next week I drove to the Progressive office and was interviewed by their hiring manager. He was very friendly and made me feel at ease during the interview. The questions he asked were more STAR questions, "Tell me about a time when..." You'll need to prepare beforehand with examples of your work experience so you can be detailed and how to relate them to the current position that you are applying for. After we finished with about eight STAR questions, he asked me if I had any questions for him. This is when you can speak more freely and have a natural dialogue, I asked him about any reservations he had about my qualifications and if I could answer anything in more detail for him. Then I asked about the daily tasks of a Claims Adjuster and the type of work environment and responsibilities that you could expect. The whole process lasted about two hours.

I left the interview feeling very confident about my performance and was told to expect a call within the next two weeks to update me on if I was to be offered the position or not. The next day I was called by the woman who scheduled my in-person interview and told that unfortunately I had not been selected for the position. I was not given any details as to why, but I thanked them for their prompt feedback.

I was disappointed because I felt I did a good job on the interview and seemed to have a good rapport with the hiring manager. But the entire process was pretty quick and I was glad that I was called to be told I wasn't selected as opposed to waiting two weeks and hearing nothing.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to negotiate with someone and you both had to come to a compromise.
Tell me about a time when you needed to get information from someone who wasn't completely forthcoming, what did you do and what were the results.
  Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online Feb.11 and on Feb. 18 I received an email requesting for a phone interview. In that email it gives you a link to the scheduling center where you can pick a time that works for you. Usually before the phone they will have you take pre-employment testing but since I had applied for a position about 6 months ago (that I didn't get) and passed the testing, I didn't need to do it again. On Feb. 25 I had my phone interview. The recruiter was extremely nice and made me feel very comfortable throughout the entire interview. It felt more like a conversation. She asked me about 8 behavioral based questions (none that were really difficult). At the end of the interview she said that I would know if I was moving forward by the next week. The very next day I received an email that I would be moving forward and that I needed to complete some new additional information on my profile so that they could do the background check with HireRight. On March 7, I received an email from the recruiter requesting for an in person interview. On March 14, I had the in person interview. I was interviewed by the Regional Mgr. The Regional Manager was very welcoming and friendly. He also made the interview feel more like a conversation. We discussed my educational background and work history. I was also asked about 8 or so behavioral based questions and at the end of the interview I was told I would hear something by the following Friday. The decision took a little bit longer than expected but the nice thing was that the recruiter kept me informed throughout the entire process. On March 28, I received a phone call from the recruiter telling me that I had been selected and they had an offer for me.

Interview Question – Most questions were behavioral based questions (Tell me a time when.....) I was asked questions that pertained to customer service, multitasking, time management, organizational skills, negotiation skills, problem solving, analytical abilities, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate b/c what they offered me was a lot more than what I was making and it was competitive with the salaries that other individuals in a similar position are getting.

Claim Adjuster Trainee Interview

Claim Adjuster Trainee

Interviewed at Progressive Insurance

Interview Details – After completing the online application I was sent an email within a week to take an assessment. The assessment consisted of about 50 questions asking you how you would handle certain situations and reading graphs/reports. A few days later I received an email notification indicating that I had passed the assessment and was able to schedule an over-the-phone interview which was done online. Progressive sends you an email confirming the time and also giving you tips on how to proceed with the interview, which I found to be very helpful. They emphasize on using a process called STAR when answering their questions - "S" = Situation, "T" = Task, "A" = Action, and "R" = Results. You first discuss the situation or task, how you handled it (action), and then the results. This would be helpful in any interview. At my scheduled time, I received a phone call to conduct my interview which lasted about an hour. The recruiter was extremely friendly and asked me to go over my work history, and then asked me a few situational questions. She informed me that if I "passed" this step I would get another email asking me to finish my online application in which new questions would pop up, and then another email requesting additional information to complete my background check. She also stated that if selected by the local hiring manager, I would be scheduled within a week to have an in-person interview. I am still waiting to see what happens but this process has been pretty quick.

Interview Question – None of the questions were overly difficult or unexpected. When Progressive sends you the email about how to prepare for the interview, there are a few general questions already that you can prepare for. Though those specific questions weren't asked of me, the answers I had prepared for them ahead of time helped me easily answer the situational questions. Since I prepared ahead of time I already had a few situations lined up to address.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – Applied online. About 2 1/2 weeks later I received an email to complete the online assessment. This was an easy test with IQ and personality type questions. This lasted for about 45 minutes. The following day I received an email that I passed the test and was being schedule for a phone interview. One week later I did the phone interview. The recruiter was very friendly and explained to me what to expect in the interview and also the style to answer the questions - STAR. She asked me about 7 behavioral questions all centered around customer care, negotiation , conflict resolution and time management. This interview last 1 hour. I received an email about 5 hours later with the link to my background check and to advise me that I was moving through the process for a fact to face.

One week later I met with the hiring manager at the local office. He made me feel very relaxed which helped me greatly with the interview. He once again advised me of the interview format . He asked me about 7 behavioral questions . He made great eye contact and was engaging with helped with the flow of the interview. I was very specific and detailed in my response ensuring I touched on all the key points in STAR. the interview was like a conversation and it flowed very smoothly. I then had a chance to ask questions. This interview also lasted 1 hour.

Interview Question – Tell about a time that you did n0t agree with your supervisor . how did you handle it and what was the outcome

Tell about a time that you received constructive feedback. How did you handle it and what was the outcome

Explain a time that you were apart of a team and there was conflict. Explain how you handle it and the outcome
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Progressive Insurance

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Progressive Insurance Videos

Progressive Insurance – Why Work for Us?

Around here, people use the word “love” when talking about their jobs. That’s because Progressive is a special type of place… where you don’t stop until a project is finished—then eagerly move on to new and exciting… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Insurance Claims Adjuster Trainee interview questions and advice. All 39 interview reviews posted anonymously by Progressive Insurance employees and interview candidates.