Progressive Insurance

Average Difficulty
43 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Albany, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in April 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my application and resume on their website. I received an e-mail notifying my that I was selected to take their online test to be considered for the position.

The online test was straightforward and I was given two hours to complete, although I finished it in about forty minutes. The test consisted of basic graphs and reports and being able to interpret the information provided and determine trends. An example would be showing a graph of sales results and asking what the result would be in the next quarter if the current trends were sustained. Then there were behavioral questions asking how you would deal with certain situations. The test was pretty easy and I was notified a few days afterwards that I had passed, although no specifics were given as to my score.

Then I was notified that I would be able to schedule a phone interview. The interviewer called me right on the scheduled time and asked a series of behavioral questions about my experience and past work situations. They are all STAR format questions which the Progressive website gives you insight on to the type of questions to expect. The most important aspect is to be as detailed and specific as possible when giving answers and not to generalize. The woman who interviewed me was very nice and after about an hour on the phone she told me I would be selected for an in-person interview. I was then called later that day by another woman who setup the in-person interview appointment and sent me an e-mail with the location and who to ask for. In addition to this you are to submit to a background check by HireRight and you will be e-mailed the link to a questionnaire to complete.

The next week I drove to the Progressive office and was interviewed by their hiring manager. He was very friendly and made me feel at ease during the interview. The questions he asked were more STAR questions, "Tell me about a time when..." You'll need to prepare beforehand with examples of your work experience so you can be detailed and how to relate them to the current position that you are applying for. After we finished with about eight STAR questions, he asked me if I had any questions for him. This is when you can speak more freely and have a natural dialogue, I asked him about any reservations he had about my qualifications and if I could answer anything in more detail for him. Then I asked about the daily tasks of a Claims Adjuster and the type of work environment and responsibilities that you could expect. The whole process lasted about two hours.

I left the interview feeling very confident about my performance and was told to expect a call within the next two weeks to update me on if I was to be offered the position or not. The next day I was called by the woman who scheduled my in-person interview and told that unfortunately I had not been selected for the position. I was not given any details as to why, but I thanked them for their prompt feedback.

I was disappointed because I felt I did a good job on the interview and seemed to have a good rapport with the hiring manager. But the entire process was pretty quick and I was glad that I was called to be told I wasn't selected as opposed to waiting two weeks and hearing nothing.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to negotiate with someone and you both had to come to a compromise.
Tell me about a time when you needed to get information from someone who wasn't completely forthcoming, what did you do and what were the results.
  Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online Feb.11 and on Feb. 18 I received an email requesting for a phone interview. In that email it gives you a link to the scheduling center where you can pick a time that works for you. Usually before the phone they will have you take pre-employment testing but since I had applied for a position about 6 months ago (that I didn't get) and passed the testing, I didn't need to do it again. On Feb. 25 I had my phone interview. The recruiter was extremely nice and made me feel very comfortable throughout the entire interview. It felt more like a conversation. She asked me about 8 behavioral based questions (none that were really difficult). At the end of the interview she said that I would know if I was moving forward by the next week. The very next day I received an email that I would be moving forward and that I needed to complete some new additional information on my profile so that they could do the background check with HireRight. On March 7, I received an email from the recruiter requesting for an in person interview. On March 14, I had the in person interview. I was interviewed by the Regional Mgr. The Regional Manager was very welcoming and friendly. He also made the interview feel more like a conversation. We discussed my educational background and work history. I was also asked about 8 or so behavioral based questions and at the end of the interview I was told I would hear something by the following Friday. The decision took a little bit longer than expected but the nice thing was that the recruiter kept me informed throughout the entire process. On March 28, I received a phone call from the recruiter telling me that I had been selected and they had an offer for me.

Interview Question – Most questions were behavioral based questions (Tell me a time when.....) I was asked questions that pertained to customer service, multitasking, time management, organizational skills, negotiation skills, problem solving, analytical abilities, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate b/c what they offered me was a lot more than what I was making and it was competitive with the salaries that other individuals in a similar position are getting.

Claim Adjuster Trainee Interview

Claim Adjuster Trainee

Interviewed at Progressive Insurance

Interview Details – After completing the online application I was sent an email within a week to take an assessment. The assessment consisted of about 50 questions asking you how you would handle certain situations and reading graphs/reports. A few days later I received an email notification indicating that I had passed the assessment and was able to schedule an over-the-phone interview which was done online. Progressive sends you an email confirming the time and also giving you tips on how to proceed with the interview, which I found to be very helpful. They emphasize on using a process called STAR when answering their questions - "S" = Situation, "T" = Task, "A" = Action, and "R" = Results. You first discuss the situation or task, how you handled it (action), and then the results. This would be helpful in any interview. At my scheduled time, I received a phone call to conduct my interview which lasted about an hour. The recruiter was extremely friendly and asked me to go over my work history, and then asked me a few situational questions. She informed me that if I "passed" this step I would get another email asking me to finish my online application in which new questions would pop up, and then another email requesting additional information to complete my background check. She also stated that if selected by the local hiring manager, I would be scheduled within a week to have an in-person interview. I am still waiting to see what happens but this process has been pretty quick.

Interview Question – None of the questions were overly difficult or unexpected. When Progressive sends you the email about how to prepare for the interview, there are a few general questions already that you can prepare for. Though those specific questions weren't asked of me, the answers I had prepared for them ahead of time helped me easily answer the situational questions. Since I prepared ahead of time I already had a few situations lined up to address.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – Applied online. About 2 1/2 weeks later I received an email to complete the online assessment. This was an easy test with IQ and personality type questions. This lasted for about 45 minutes. The following day I received an email that I passed the test and was being schedule for a phone interview. One week later I did the phone interview. The recruiter was very friendly and explained to me what to expect in the interview and also the style to answer the questions - STAR. She asked me about 7 behavioral questions all centered around customer care, negotiation , conflict resolution and time management. This interview last 1 hour. I received an email about 5 hours later with the link to my background check and to advise me that I was moving through the process for a fact to face.

One week later I met with the hiring manager at the local office. He made me feel very relaxed which helped me greatly with the interview. He once again advised me of the interview format . He asked me about 7 behavioral questions . He made great eye contact and was engaging with helped with the flow of the interview. I was very specific and detailed in my response ensuring I touched on all the key points in STAR. the interview was like a conversation and it flowed very smoothly. I then had a chance to ask questions. This interview also lasted 1 hour.

Interview Question – Tell about a time that you did n0t agree with your supervisor . how did you handle it and what was the outcome

Tell about a time that you received constructive feedback. How did you handle it and what was the outcome

Explain a time that you were apart of a team and there was conflict. Explain how you handle it and the outcome
  Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – Filled out an application and a personality test. Received an invitation for a phone interview, which only lasted about 15-20 minutes. After the phone interview I was scheduled for an in-person interview. The in-person interview was a one-on-one with the hiring manager, which contained basic STAR interview questions and open conversation about the position. Overall, the process wasn't that difficult. They're extremely helpful in giving you feedback and constructive criticism along the way to help you move forward.

Interview Question – Name a time you received negative feedback from a manager.   View Answer

Claim Adjuster Trainee Interview

Claim Adjuster Trainee
Farmington Hills, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received a request for phone interview approximately 1-2 weeks afterward. Interview with the recruiter lasted approximately 30 minutes. I found this recruiter to actually be knowledgeable about the position she was recruiter for. I was asked the usual behavior-situation type questions. Make sure you are well informed about the company and your reasons for applying for the position. Was told I would hear from them by the end of the week regarding the next step. Next training session would began in January 2014.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were happy with your results?   Answer Question

Palmetto Bay, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2013.

Interview Details – Did the initial application along with the initial questionnaire. Did well and was selected for a phone interview a few days later. Did well on the phone interview and was asked to come in for an in person interview. Haven't heard back since the in person interview.

Interview Question – I forgot to research the company and was asked what i like about the company. I thought to speak about their emphasis on diversity and customer service.   View Answer

Claims Adjuster Trainee

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – Applied online, got an e-mail about a week later asking me to take an online exam. Exam was fairly simple. Got an e-mail later that day saying I had passed. The next day I got a phone call to set up a phone interview. Phone interview consisted of STAR questions, and lasted 50 minutes. Interviewer was nice. I received an e-mail 2 days later saying I was no longer being considered for the position.

Interview Question – Explain a decision made at work that you did not agree with it, and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in October 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted an application online and was sent an email a few days latter inviting me to take an online assessment. The assessment consisted of a few math and graph questions, along with several personality questions. The next day I received an email stating that I had indeed passed the test. 3/4 days later I got an email to schedule a phone interview. During the phone interview the HR representatives goes over a little about the job, she asks some clarifying questions about your education and work history, and then she proceeds to tell you that she/he is going to ask a series of questions that you are to answer is a specific format (situation, action, and remedy). I would research these types of questions. If you do well on the phone interview, as I had, you are offered a face-to-face interview with the hiring manager (I was offered a face-to-face at the end of my phone interview call. The situation will be different for some people). We set the interview up for the next day. In the face-to-face interview I was asked to talk a little about myself and my past work history. I was then some situational questions and then told that they would call me when they were finished interviewing. Had to do a background check that took 5 days. Got a call 8 days later and was offered the job. I start in two weeks!

Interview Question – What was your biggest mistake, and what did you learn from it?   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was told the job salary started at $45,000. I was offered $46,570.00. This is an entry level position. No experience required.

Very Difficult Interview

Claims Adjuster Trainee

Interview Details – The whole thing was an awful and stressful process from taking the online assessment to the 1 on 1 phone interview, After I found out I passed the assessment I spent a week researching the company, looking at interview comments on how to answer the questions in the format they want, etc.

Interview Question – Everything about their interview process was difficult and in hindsight now I realize it was a complete waste of my time that I should have used for something else, The recruiter was hard to understand and had to ask her several times to repeat the questions,   View Answer