Progressive Insurance Claims Generalist Interview Questions

Updated May 16, 2014

3.4

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Claims Generalist Interview

The hiring process was surprisingly quick. I submitted my application online and was hired within a few weeks. Everyone I spoke with was exceptionally helpful and they kept me informed at each step. There is an online application followed by an online questionnaire. If you make it passed both of those, there is a phone interview and then an in person interview.

Interview Questions
  • They expect you to be very specific with examples of past work decisions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Claims Generalist Interview

Phone interview, followed by a test and in person interview.

Interview Questions
    After the in person interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richardson, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

You begin with a general aptitude test, then must do a phone interview, then an in person interview that is done is STAR format.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to handle a problem in a different way than you are accustomed to?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Entry level salary was set.

Claims Generalist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

The initial process of locating a job opportunity and submitting my resume was exceedingly easy due to Progressive's use of online submission. The initial response from the corporate recruiting department was timely, and positive. The recruiter you are assigned to works with you throughout the hiring process. After the initial interview, there was some degree of longer delays in hearing back from anyone, and the actual process from initial application to hiring offer took over thirty days. Accurate expectations of the next step and the time frame were set communicated to me consistently.

Interview Questions
    • At the time of my hiring at least, Progressive interviews leaned heavily on the behavioral based interview model, and most questions were posed in the form of "Tell me about a time in your work experience when..." The hardest question for me to formulate a positive and engaging response to was: "Tell me about a time when you were completely unable to meet a customer's expectations, and what did you do to attempt to resolve the issue for that specific customer, and what changes did you make as a result of this experience?"   View Answer
    Negotiation is fairly limited in the initial hiring phase as Progressive really tries to make an offer that takes into account the candidates abilities, relevant experience and background. That being said, there is some degree of flexibility, and it does not hurt the job seeker to make a reasonable and realistic request for an increase in their starting salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2014.

It was a great expericinec the interview went well not long at all very theral which I like cause they took the time to really make a good fit for you and the company.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation set salary.

Claims Generalist Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Was recruited as a college student. Initial interview was at campus career center. The next step was taking a computer based test (several years ago so I can't recall some of the specifics of the assessment). Final step was an informational session with other recruits and an interview with management.

Claims Generalist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Online application will generate a phone interview with a recruiter. If passed, then often a follow-up phone interview with a local manager will follow. Again if passed you will be invited into a local office to complete an online personality type test and an IQ style test. Once passed in person interviews sometimes with a small panel and other times in round robin format with situational style questions to be answered in STAR format.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you failed. What happened? What did you learn? How did you correct the situation.   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate base rate all start at same amount, annual salary reviews with up to 3% increase.

Claims Generalist Interview

interviewed at Progressive Insurance in June 2013.

The phone interview is too scripted and does not seem to show much about the candidates. They expect you to answer the questions in a specific way, even when she got the point of what I was saying. Did not like this interview process at all.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a specific situation......(have to say "this customer")?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

I went through their college recruiting hiring process, I know that it is different from their hiring of other candidates.

I first spoke with a Progressive employee at a school job fair. I gave them my resume and it was submitted. After a few days a received an email asking me to fill out a survey online to get an idea of what I was looking for. From what I recall it was pretty basic, type of job I was looking for, pay range, was I willing to relocate, etc.

I was contacted and asked to schedule a test at one of their offices. Since I was at school several hours away from any of them I was able to set it up during spring break. The test was 2 parts, the first was timed and had to do mostly with math and English questions that got progressively harder as the questions went on. The second part was a 200 or so question personality test. I was informed that I passed both sections. (To my knowledge this is now done online and you don't have to go to an office anymore, a recent change)

After that I was reached out by another recruiter for a phone interview (I can't remember if they emailed me or if they called to ask me about it.)

The woman I worked with was very pleasant and informative. She conducted the phone interview as well. They focus on the STAR method of answering questions, most of which were situation-based.

Once that was completed they had me fill out all the paperwork ahead of time for an EXTENSIVE background check. This can take them several weeks for conduct so they had me do it ahead of time. I was also scheduled for an in person interview at one of the offices once I graduated from school.

I did my interview 3 days after graduation. I met with one of the regional managers who conducted the interview. He was very pleasant as well and asked me a lot of questions about myself and also situation-based. He discussed the different openings that were available and which worked best for me. They seemed to take this into consideration as they eventually offered me the position that worked best for my circumstances.

I heard back just a day or two over a week later from the first recruiter who did the phone interview and she said they were prepared to make me an offer. She went over A LOT of information regarding pay and benefits and then gave me a day or so to think about it.

When I reached out to her to accept the offer they gave me two potential start dates.

Prior to starting the branch manager called to greet me and welcome me (He went to the same college as we so we had shared background) My direct supervisor also contacted me to let know what I needed for the first few days, what the office dress was like and to introduce herself.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you had to use your customer service skills to alleviate a problem?
      What is a time when you would you say you failed, and how did you correct it?
        Answer Question
    It was pretty non-negotiable under my circumstances.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Des Moines, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in September 2011.

I applied online. A week later, I received an email letting me know they were interested in me. I had to fill out a personality and skills test online. After I passed that, I had a phone interview with a recruiter. After passing the phone interview, I was scheduled to have an interview with the state manager. After the Interview I was told I'd know within a week. About a week later, I got a call from the recruiter from the phone interview, offering the job. It was a long process, I can tell that they really think about each and every person they add to their team.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you changed the culture in the workplace.   Answer Question

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!