Progressive Insurance

Updated Jan 14, 2015

3.4

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Claims Generalist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Hiring and interview process is tedious. You fill out an application, then have to be vetted by a recruiter, then a phone interview with the recruiter, then an in person interview with the hiring manager. The tedious part is the time between the recruiter call and in person interview. The company Progressive uses to do background checks is completely inept at their job.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you went against supervision guidance to achieve a result.   Answer Question
No negotiation. Set salary.

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Claims Generalist Interview

The hiring process was surprisingly quick. I submitted my application online and was hired within a few weeks. Everyone I spoke with was exceptionally helpful and they kept me informed at each step. There is an online application followed by an online questionnaire. If you make it passed both of those, there is a phone interview and then an in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • They expect you to be very specific with examples of past work decisions.   Answer Question

Claims Generalist Interview

Phone interview, followed by a test and in person interview.

Interview Questions
    After the in person interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

You begin with a general aptitude test, then must do a phone interview, then an in person interview that is done is STAR format.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to handle a problem in a different way than you are accustomed to?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Entry level salary was set.

Claims Generalist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

The initial process of locating a job opportunity and submitting my resume was exceedingly easy due to Progressive's use of online submission. The initial response from the corporate recruiting department was timely, and positive. The recruiter you are assigned to works with you throughout the hiring process. After the initial interview, there was some degree of longer delays in hearing back from anyone, and the actual process from initial application to hiring offer took over thirty days. Accurate expectations of the next step and the time frame were set communicated to me consistently.

Interview Questions
    • At the time of my hiring at least, Progressive interviews leaned heavily on the behavioral based interview model, and most questions were posed in the form of "Tell me about a time in your work experience when..." The hardest question for me to formulate a positive and engaging response to was: "Tell me about a time when you were completely unable to meet a customer's expectations, and what did you do to attempt to resolve the issue for that specific customer, and what changes did you make as a result of this experience?"   View Answer
    Negotiation is fairly limited in the initial hiring phase as Progressive really tries to make an offer that takes into account the candidates abilities, relevant experience and background. That being said, there is some degree of flexibility, and it does not hurt the job seeker to make a reasonable and realistic request for an increase in their starting salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2014.

It was a great expericinec the interview went well not long at all very theral which I like cause they took the time to really make a good fit for you and the company.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation set salary.

Claims Generalist Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Was recruited as a college student. Initial interview was at campus career center. The next step was taking a computer based test (several years ago so I can't recall some of the specifics of the assessment). Final step was an informational session with other recruits and an interview with management.

Claims Generalist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Online application will generate a phone interview with a recruiter. If passed, then often a follow-up phone interview with a local manager will follow. Again if passed you will be invited into a local office to complete an online personality type test and an IQ style test. Once passed in person interviews sometimes with a small panel and other times in round robin format with situational style questions to be answered in STAR format.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you failed. What happened? What did you learn? How did you correct the situation.   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate base rate all start at same amount, annual salary reviews with up to 3% increase.

Claims Generalist Interview

interviewed at Progressive Insurance in June 2013.

The phone interview is too scripted and does not seem to show much about the candidates. They expect you to answer the questions in a specific way, even when she got the point of what I was saying. Did not like this interview process at all.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a specific situation......(have to say "this customer")?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in October 2012.

Lengthy hiring and background review if contacted for an interview. After the initial phone interview, the final interview will be with the site manager and the direct supervisor you will work for, and will last for roughly an hour. Everything on your resume will be verified, and you must be prepared to describe situations of which you were able to deal with customers in various situations.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a situation where you had to go over and beyond for a customer that you would consider providing "excellent customer service".   Answer Question
    The starting salary varies by location, but usually starts at $40k or more. Others have left for competitors who generally pay $5k-$6k more than what this company offers. I did not attempt to negotiate the original offer.