Progressive Insurance

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Claims Generalist Trainee

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – After applying online I received a link to complete and online assessment . I finished and passed this and received a call a week later to set up a phone interview. After completing this interview I had an extensive in person interview with a manager.

Interview Question – Please describe a situation where you had to complete a task that was against what you believe in.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2013.

Interview Details – Prepare, Prepare, Prepare is the best advice I can give to landing this job. First, I tweaked my resume based on what qualities and skills they were looking for in an ideal candidate. A cover letter helps too. Then after my resume was pre-qualified, came the assessment test. They give you more than enough time to take it only, if memory serves me correctly I think it was about 90 minutes but I finished in a fraction of the time. Take your time through the test though, overall the test isn't difficult, but remember to double check your answers before submitting. After I got past the test stage was the phone interview. Now they work off the S.T.A.R method of interviewing. For the phone interview, I had my scenarios written out. Everyone I addressed over the phone I crossed out. After the phone interview, the woman said that I'm moving on to the next stage of the "In person: interview. But suggested that I didn't use the same scenarios as my phone interview. Which worked out well for me since I was crossing out the ones I already used. So the in person interview wasn't so bad. Was more of the same, some more S.T.A.R interview question. Sometimes you have to feel out your interviewer though. Some welcomes many questions being asked to them and others just want to see what you can offer and be done with it. I had the be done with it guy, so I threw a few softball type questions at him. The interesting thing after the interview was that he said we was going to compare my answers from my phone interview. So it was a good thing I used new scenarios in my in person interview. After my interview was my background check. After that I was extended an offer. Total process took about a month.

Interview Question – S.T.A.R method questions. If you have your scenarios prepared, you'll do fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary range was between 45k-47k, offered me 48,500.

New Hyde Park, NY

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – The interview process has 3 steps. First an online examination, second a phone interview, and third a final interview with a branch manager. The questions are all centered around customer service, and finding resolutions to issues. Be very clear, and be very honest. The website for progressive actually provides info on the questions, and the format on how to answer. Utilize it!

They will simultaneously perform a back ground check and experiences verification during the process. Be extremely honest, don't even fib a little bit about experience. This back ground check will need verification on everything. Be it contacting an HR department of a former employer or providing paperwork to prove you worked somewhere. If you can't provide either DO NOT put it on your resume. Otherwise the interview process was very good. Recruiters stay in touch and keep you up to date on the whole process.

Interview Question – Name a situation in which you needed to negotiate with some one, and what was the resolution.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They tell you what you get. You can accept or decline.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Parsippany, NJ

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in December 2011.

Interview Details – Was told to take a test the day after. It was a fairly easy test and about two days later, I was contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview was about 45 mins and consisted of going over my resume and about 6 behavioral questions. The person was very nice and told me to make sure to contact her if I did not hear about a follow up interview. A few days later I was contact to schedule an interview for the following week with a Manager. The 1:1 interview was relaxed, the person was very polite. It also consisted of about 10 behavioral questions and going over my resume. I was told I would receive an answer in a few days regardless of the decision. I was called about 5 days later and told that I did not get the position.

Interview Question – Explain a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Yonkers, NY

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in December 2011.

Interview Details – Saw the position on indeed.com. I summited my resume and within 2 days I got an email from the company to take an IQ testand behavioral test. Was fairly easy. If you pass you get an email a few hours later. They email and call you to schedule a phone interview which happens about a week and a half later.

The phone interview they say is about 1hr long but it could last 30 min. They dont email u or anything for another week and a half to schedule a 1 on 1 interview.

The 1 on 1 interview was a BIG JOKE. He didnt seem interested in hiring me. when he asked me a question and i answered it I noticed he rolled his eyes.
He spent about 30 min mostly spoking about himself, wife, kids and his experiences and what he went thru in his old job and progressive . He didn't ask me about my background, education, why you want to for progressive nor what i can bring to the table.

He didnt even want to shake my hand when i left his office. Worst experience so far.

Questions.

1. Did you ever go behound the call of duty for a customer?
2. Did you ever supervise a group of people
3. Tell me about your previous jobs
4. If there was one thing you can change from your previous employement what would it be
5. Have you ever negotiated before?
6. Do you wind working saturdays and also in the field. (work outside)
7. What was the best experience you had with a customer.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever go above and behond for a customer and if so what was the outcome.   Answer Question
  • Can you negotiate and if so what was it that you negotiated   Answer Question

Arlington, TX

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in April 2010.

Interview Details – Process consisted of a behavioral test online, a phone interview a few days later, and an in-person 1:1 interview about a week later. A week later (to the day) I received and accepted an offer.
The interview reviews on glassdoor are right on point about the process and the type of questions you will be asked.
Main points to consider:
* Think of MANY examples to fit the STAR question format
  (each interview consisted of about 8 of these questions)
* Highlight your individual accomplishments
* Have well thought out and sincere reasons for WHY you want to work for Progressive.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I didn't get the impression that negotiation was an option, especially for an entry-level position.
The salary expectation had been set early in the interview process though.
The benefits package was explained very well also.

Arlington, TX

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2011.

Interview Details – So I applied onine and then took a test at the office. The test was easy, it is just a wonderlic test. After that I had a phone interview. The interviewer was nice and professional. Mostly consists of behavioral type questions in the STAR format. It went fairly well, however this was my first interview as a recent college grad and I was nervous. A week later I was called to set up an in person interview at the office. I arrived at the interview and was met by two interviewers. One was the corporate HR lady and the other was a male manager from the office. From the very beginning I felt like the male manager did not want to interview me and he was not friendly at all. The female HR rep was very nice and smiled and nodded while I answered the behaviorial questions. The male interviewer paid little attention and looked like he could care less what I had to say. The interview lasted around 40 minutes and overall I thought I did fairly well. A word of advice is to really emphasize your customer service for this position. I mean really sell your customer service! I did not focus enough on my experience with customer service and this was the reason the HR rep called and declined to give me an offer the next week. I have 5 years experience with cust service and yet she told me that I did not have enough...for an entry level position. Riiiight. In the end I am glad I did not get an offer, I would have turned it down anyways. The pay sounded decent but the hours sounded extremely unreasonable. If I had the chance to do it over again I still would for the interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had to weigh the pros and cons and decided not to act.   Answer Question
  • Tell me a time you had a group problem and how did you over come it?   Answer Question
  • How did you make a process better?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a manager and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question
  • Tell me a time you had to overcome an obstacle with a customer.   Answer Question

Woburn, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2008.

Interview Details – I was found on Monster.com by one of the corporate recruiters. When I responded and applied online, they contacted me a few days later and I was set up to take a quick personality and IQ test at a local office. I knew of the pass/fail result right on the spot and then I was set up with a phone interview before the interviewer recommended me for in-person interview a few days after that. I went in for an interview with the branch manager and one of the team-leaders. They then gave me an offer after meeting in person.

Interview Question – How did I persuade someone else who I worked with to change their ways.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation since this was a trainee position that they paid a pre-determined rate for upon hire. I just had to make sure I could be away from home for 2 consecutive 2-week training sessions far away from home.

Claims Generalist Trainee

The process took a day - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2012.

Interview Details – I got interviewed over the phone for a claims position in january. they didnt call me back til april, i dont know what took so long. Anyways i have got scheduled for a face to face. phone interview just consisted of asking questions on background and situational questions. Research star interviews on the net and have answers ready as well as questions.

Interview Question – Tell me a time where you made a mistake and what did you do to correct it?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Claims Generalist Trainee

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2011.

Interview Details – 1. Applied online
2. Set-up time to take in-office assessment test
3. Phone interview (where I currently am)
4. Interview at current branch.

Review- The skills test is a wonderlic test. You are responsible for getting 22 correct. Verbal section is super easy, math somewhat difficult due to the 12 minute time constraint. Your goal is to get 22 questions correct out of the 55. Sample (easy math) A plane travels 300 feet in a 1/2 second, in 10 seconds the plane travels how many feet?

Phone interview is behavioral based questions. Make sure you have responses ready.'

Update to come.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to change a customers mind?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Progressive Insurance

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Progressive Insurance Videos

Progressive Insurance – Why Work for Us?

Around here, people use the word “love” when talking about their jobs. That’s because Progressive is a special type of place… where you don’t stop until a project is finished—then eagerly move on to new and exciting… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Insurance Claims Generalist Trainee interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Progressive Insurance employees and interview candidates.