Progressive Insurance

Relevance Date Difficulty

Claims Trainee Interview

Claims Trainee
Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2009.

Interview Details – Phone Screen, In-Branch Wonderlic and personality tests. Finally an In-Branch interview with Branch manager, then another interview with team leads or current reps all on same day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were dealing with a difficult customer...   Answer Question
  • Discuss a time in your life when you had to negotiate or bargain with a customer or client and describe the end result...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much to negotiate, Vacation, Benefits and Pay are standardized. Possible to select between regular M-F schedule or get stuck with Tuesday-Saturday schedule (often given to new hires).

Very Difficult Interview

Claims Trainee Interview

Claims Trainee

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in June 2012.

Interview Details – Applied to this position via job board website. Heard back about two weeks later that I was chosen to continue in the application process with an IQ/Inteligence Test; in which I had five business days to complete. Once I completed that task, I was emailed the next day with a notification that I had in fact passed the IQ/Intelligence portion, and that I would be contacted by a recruiter very soon to once again continue with the application process. The next day I recieved a call from a recruiter to set up a phone interview with a meber of the Progressive Talent Hiring Team (I think that is what they're called) -- she was extremely nice, very helpful and was more than accomodating when trying to find a proper time to set up a phone interview with me.
     The phone interview was without a doubt difficult. The interviewer started out with the basic's; questions regarding my education, where I live with regards to the office, etc. Work history -- brief description of all job duties -- what did you like best about this job, what did you like least about this job, and why do you want to leave this job? Definitely prepare answers for those questions; I know for a fact they are extremely difficult to answer on the spot if you haven't extensively prepared for them.
     After the basic getting to know the interviewee questions, the interviewer stated that she was going to begin with the S.T.A.R. format questions -- in which she will ask a question, and then the interviewee will have to answer that question by giving the Situation or Task, and then the Action you took, and finally what the Result was of your actions towards this task. When I tell you that it is very difficult to prepare for these unknown questions, I mean it. The questions aim to make you think as quickly as possible of a perfectly appropriate or applicable scenario in your work/educational history, and then directly apply the S.T.A.R approach to it. Some of the questions caught me so off guard, I was embarassed and nervous because I was taking so long to answer; pausing while racking my brain for something remotely applicable to the question.
     If theres any piece of advice I can give, it is to review the S.T.A.R. format, and gather as many S.T.A.R. questions together as possible, and answer them as directly and appropriately as possible with scenarios from your work/educational history and background. My phone interview lasted over an hour. My interviewer truly did not show any empotion, wasw not upbeat or friendly, was very direct and was beyond engaging -- which made for a very tense and intimidated interviewee. I'm not saying these things about the interviewer to be petty, or immature even. I'm being completely honest, and I just want other people to be prepared for and aware of the people/interview situation they may encounter. I've never had such an intense interview for any position. The most positive thing I can say about this interview is that it has most definitely prepared me for other interviews. Using the S.T.A.R. approach is without a doubt hugely helpful when answering any question. I'm going to use the S.T.A.R. strategy with every job interview from now on because it teaches you to be direct and to the point, efficient, to think quickly on your toes, etc.
      Unfortunately for me, I highly doubt I will get a call back for a second interview, because I know I did not do that well with the phone interview.

Take my advice if you are interviewing with them soon; trust me, it will help.

Interview Questions

• Describe a sitiuation in which you discovered something was being done incorrectly, how did you help to fix it?   Answer Question
  • Describe a scenario where you had to be a part of a team that was working towards one goal; how did you decide who on the team executed what tasks and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!