Progressive Insurance

Updated Feb 17, 2015

3.4

Safety Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Use the "behavioral based" interviewing technique. Will ask you scripted questions asking about what YOUR successes or goofs have been in your career. Candidates are highly encouraged to use the STAR method of response. Bottom line is they will ask about what YOUR abilities are and then turn you down for the position claiming the interview revealed your all about you and not about teamwork.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example where you went above and beyond your regular duties   Answer Question
    • Give us an example when you really screwed up in your position.   Answer Question
    • Give us an.example of your greatest accomplishment in your profession   Answer Question
    • Give us an example of a situation where you dealt with a difficult employee   Answer Question
    • Give us an example when you did not perform at your best.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highland Hills, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highland Hills, OH

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2015.

Very detailed process, Progressive really cares to hire the best employees for the job. Though the hiring process is quite long, it has been very enjoyable & gives the opportunity to gain more insight on the company and overall position your interviewing for. First, is an online assessment, if you pass you'll pass on to the phone interview. During the phone interview you will be asked standard interview questions about past work, education, experience, etc. then you will be asked behavioral questions in which you will be expected to answer in the S.T.A.R method (situation, task, action, result. If you pass the phone interview your information will be passed on to another recruiter schedule your in person interview, at this stage you may also receive a email from a company by the name of Hire Right to conduct a through background check. The in person interview will be with two separte managers who will ask many S.T.A.R formate questions back to back. You will also have the opportunity to shadow a representative to experience what you job with actually be like. This interview lasted 2 1/2hours but was very enjoyable, both the managers that interviewed me where very nice, & make me feel at ease. After four days I was contacted back by the recruiter offering me the job, and of course I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a decision you made that wasn't popular and how you handled implementing it?   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Claims Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2015.

You start by applying online then if selected they will contact you and send you an online assessment to take. Next step will be setting up a phone interview. The phone interview person was so helpful, I had originally applied for a claims adjuster position; however, at the end I asked her if there was any concerns she had with the interview or any advice she could give me. She said I did wonderfully in the interview process but she was nervous to put me in the position without having any call center experience. She then told me there was a claims customer service rep position that would be perfect for me, a job I had also applied for. She was able to allocate me to the necessary area for the position and then set me up for an in person interview. you are interviewed in person by two managers who play good cop/bad cop but are both fairly nice. After that they contacted me with an offer about a week later!

Interview Questions
    • The basics, but one that struck me was "tell me a time you came across a difficult co-worker and how you dealt with it".   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield, OH

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in December 2014.

Start off saying that I applied 9 time over a period of time. Finally I received an online assessment. That took me about a half hour to complete. After that I then received an email requesting a phone interview. The phone took about an hour. I then received an email about a background check. Shortly after a woman called to set up a face to face interview. The face to face interview lasted a little longer than three hours. I had two separate interviews as well as shadowed a call center rep. I then received a phone call about a week later to inform me I was being offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Customers don't always know what they want or are looking for, name a time you helped a customer find exactly what they were looking for.   Answer Question
    I didn't try to negotiate anything. Everything I was offered was exactly what I was looking for.

Progressive Insurance Response

Jan 28, 2015Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We appreciate the details and hope it helps others coming through our hiring process. -KH, Recruiting

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Progressive Insurance came to my school's career fair where we had a brief conversation then scheduled an on-campus interview the next day. The interview was 30 minutes with two recruiters that consisted of only behavior questions. The next week, I was then sent an email setting up a final interview session at their facility in Cleveland. They rented a car for me and paid for a hotel the night before the final interview session with a mixer between interview candidates and employees the night before.

The final interview session was breakfast followed by an hour-long interview with a project manager then a break for an art tour and lunch ending with another hour-long interview with a different project manager. Both interview sessions were behavior only.

Overall, the hiring process moved quickly and the interviews were not overbearing, asking only behavior questions. I was not extended an offer.

Interview Questions
    • There were really no difficult questions, just standard behavior questions asking about experience and situations you have been in.   Answer Question

IT Applications Programmer Senior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

The Hiring process takes much longer than expected. 3-4 weeks for the entire process. First, Is a initial screening phone call. Next a technical screening phone call. Interview after if you pass the phone calls. 1:1 interviews with 3 people. Background check process can take a few days.The HR staff a very helpful and friendly

The First two 1:1 interviews are from developer leads. The third interview is with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    They knew my salary from my last employer and offered me a significant amount more. It wasn't hard to accept that.

Progressive Insurance Response

Nov 6, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience through our interview process. We realize it can be lengthy, but we want to make sure this is a good fit for you as much as it is for us. Congrats ... More

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield, OH

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2014.

I applied online. 2 weeks a later I received an invitation to complete the assessment test. The test had general business questions such as looking at a p&l from 2 years and determining which year had better growth. There were also general customer service questions, math, comprehension, and other basic questions you would see on any wonderlic type test. Finally there was a personality test. I will say it was a pretty in depth test and I could see how some people would struggle to pass it. When finished I got an email saying I would get the results in 2 days however they came that very day. I also got an invitation to an open house style interview for the following week.

The interview was at campus II. They had it set up for a recruiting event and it was very organized. The recruiter Anita did a great job informing us how the whole thing would work and making us feel welcome. I interviewed with 2 managers seperatly. Each interview probably took close to an hour. Thget use behavioral interviews and are looking for specific examples from your work experience. Focused a lot in how you dealt with change and objections. Most of the questions seemed to be geared towards are you adaptle in an ever chamging environment and can you think outside the box to close a sale.

After the interview the recruiter was very clear exactly when she would be following up and she stuck to her time line. The background check was the most tedious part. It took over 2 weeks and I had to provide w2s from one if the companies I worked for. I understand that happens a lot so be prepared for the background check. Make sure your hire dates are right or it will throw it off too. Its very thorough.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when you had to use a creative solution to close a sale   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time when you were given feedback you didn't agree with and how did you handle it.   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time you said the wrong thing and lost a sale.   Answer Question
    Not negotiable. They offer you what they offer you.

Inbound Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2014.

The process took about 4 weeks. I had originally applied for customer then tried for sales. I received an email about 2 days after applying for the job to complete an assessment. The assessment was mostly behavioral questions also with mathematical questions took 30 minutes to complete. The next day i received an email to complete the background check which took 3 days for them to complete. I waited for about 5 days then received a call from a recruiter to attend an onsite interview event where i interviewed with 2 managers. They were both laid back and each asked a total of 15 situational questions

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were not able to close a sale and what did you learn?   Answer Question
    They already have pay set up between $13.50 to $16.70 which is by experience

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in October 2014.

On-line assessment, phone interview, in person interview with 2 people and job shadow for 30 minutes. The reps navigate 5-6 applications. There is a large monitor that hangs from the ceiling that shows how many calls are in the queue (75-80) during my visit and how many seconds they have been waiting 240 seconds (3 minutes). The calls never end. No breathing room the cubicals are very small and the walls are short - no privacy and you can hear the loud CSR's talking over you.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't make any effort to sell me on the company or the position. They just need to fill "slots".   Answer Question
    • The recruiter said they had 25 positions to fill. I received 3 different start times for the training schedule....no one really knew the correct schedule "yet". The start date was a week later. They didn't make any effort to make me want to work there.   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mayfield Heights, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Mayfield Heights, OH

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in September 2014.

Behavioral interview that must follow the STAR format. Some interviewers may help you walk through the situation. Some questions are vague and not really relevant to the position applied for. It's difficult to determine if this method is effective in hiring the best possible candidate. People are very nice but the process is lengthy. Internal recruiter is very helpful in setting expectations and/or timelines.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you weighed the pros and cons and decided against something you were being pressured to do.   Answer Question