Progressive Insurance

Updated Dec 11, 2014

3.2

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2014.

I knew someone that worked for progressive, they requested an email with my contact information detailing my work experience with an emphasis on customer service and working with the customer. Pretty shortly after I sent the email I got an email from progressive hiring with instructions for applying with the referral. Within a week of filling out my profile and putting in an application I got an email requesting that I complete a test to make sure I'm a good fit. I answered honestly and after finishing was prompted for a phone interview the next day. The website provides detailed information on answering the interview questions properly so I came up with a few of the stories that I wanted to highlight during the interview which helped a lot. At the end of the phone call I was asked to schedule an on-site interview. Once we scheduled it they sent me an email reminder and directions to the building as well as a request for a background check and details on approving it.

For the on site interview, I went to the building, checked in and got a temporary badge. Another candidate appeared and we waited together, then one of the interviewers appeared and walked us to the floor where we listened in on calls for about a half hour and got to ask questions to the employee and get a taste for the customers. We found out one of the interviewers we were meeting with was out, but they had someone come in to conduct the interview. We were brought to separate conference rooms, offered waters and interviewed one on one with the first interviewer and then with the second. The same formatting for the phone interviews was used and the interviewers made extensive notes about what was said. The interviewers were extremely pleasant and enthusiastic about the company. After all the questions were answered we just made pleasant conversation and I was shown back to the desk to turn in the temporary badge. I got an email the week of the interview telling me to be expecting a call after the weekend was over, and I got the call that monday afternoon explaining the offer.

Overall, I was kept extremely informed during the process with both phone calls and emails. The hiring department was exceptionally accommodating and kind. The process was difficult and extensive, but that is reassuring to me because it shows that they are hiring for quality. I asked detailed questions about the quality of the work environment to all three interviewers and the interviewers had no problem promoting the company to me in a personal way. The background check was the most irritating part of the process. I would suggest finding paystubs, W-2's or other tax documents and confirming dates before submitting an application. Keep them handy because the company that does the background check requested scanned copies of these from me more than once.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time that there was a conflict between you and another member of the work place?"
      Was asked during the phone interview, but there were similar questions about resolving communication conflicts in the on-site interviews. Giving the answer in the form on the website you are expected to explain which job it happened in, what happened to cause the conflict, what steps you made to resolve it, and the results that came from solving the conflict.

Answer Question
    No actual negotiation, I was offered the salary I requested. I got a phone call to explain the offer letter and all of the benefits and perks that came with the job. I was given the chance to ask any further questions and told that I could call back if any more questions came up.

Progressive Insurance Response

Dec 17, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We especially appreciate the details you provided around the type of interview questions we ask. We include information on our website ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

The interview process is pretty difficult. You start with a personality test. If you don't pass that, you must wait 6 months to reapply. If you get through that, there's a computer simulation. If you pass, you get a phone interview. If you pass, you get a face to face which consisted of several different people coming into a room and asking you questions based on your past experience. You must answer based on the STAR, situation, task, action, resolution.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions are really difficult if you have plenty of customer service experience to draw from. It's hard to prepare for such specific questions though.   Answer Question
    They call you and tell you how much you will be paid based on your ecperience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online – interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Applied online and received an email for me to take an online exam a few days after. Exam was roughly 40 questions long going over behavioral situations, personality inquires, and some math.a couple days after that I received another email requesting that I schedule a time slot for a phone interview. My phone interview came and was pretty basic. The questions were mostly related to my resume and some behavioral questions following the STAR form for answering. The interview lasted roughly 45 minutes. 2 days later I had received an email requesting that I come into their offices for a face to face interview. I had to schedule the interview almost 2 weeks out because of conflicting schedules with my current employer. The interview came and i met the night customer service supervisor and took a quick tour of part of the facility. They sat me down with a team member to watch them take a couple calls to see if I had any questions or concerns about the job. After that they took me into what they call Quiet Rooms where you can relax or hold private meetings and started the interview. The interview was very similar to the phone interviews just with a bit more emphasis on the behavioral questions and less about my resume. I had two interviews that day one after another and at the end they said they would contact me by the end of the week with the results.

Interview Questions
    • Its kind of hard to come up with the situations to the questions they ask about right on the spot.   View Answer
    I didn't bother to negotiate. The pay rate was better than where i was at and a nice set schedule. Which they are changing the way they do schedules in 2015. So we'll see how that goes as a new person.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in October 2014.

I applied online. After that, I received a confirmation email. After that, an online assessment which I passed with ease. Another email prompting me to schedule my phone interview. Scheduled it for the week. Phone interview went well. The recruiter is as sweet as can be, and really wants to help you succeed. The interview questions here are STAR based, and are behavior questions which can be difficult if you haven't prepared at least 5 generic answers to work with (A difficult customer, co-worker, a time when you had a change in policy, strengths and weaknesses, etc) After I passed the phone interview, I was scheduled for a face-to-face the week after. At the facility, you go to the security desk and check in. You wait in the lobby until a supervisor comes out to get you. At this point, you either interview with the supervisor or they take you to the CSR floor where you sit with a rep and listen to half an hour of calls. I found this interesting and informative, as it helped me answer questions the way I thought they should be answered in our interview later. After the first supervisor interviews you (before or after your observing), another supervisor will come in and ask you similar behavior questions about your work history. My advice is to dress to impress, smile, stay upbeat, and be as honest as you can with those behavior answers. Articulate well and MAKE SURE it's ALL ABOUT the customer. That's what they are looking for, someone who cares about their customers and has a willingness to learn and grow with the company. It has been two days since the face-to-face and I got a job offer this morning. I used this site for a most of my interview prep so I wanted to contribute.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a bad decision. What did you do?   View Answer
    Did not attempt to negotiate. Pay is good and hours are decent, but they are changing schedules based on performance next year (2015) which I am a little concerned with because I'm a new.

Applications Programmer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in October 2014.

Met a representative at a University career fair. They said they would keep in touch. Received a phone call a few days later to schedule an hour phone interview. Questions were generally about myself (basic first phone interview questions) along with a few behavioral questions.

About 10 days after this phone interview, they contacted me via email for an onsite "Final Interview Event". This was a two day event. The first day was a dinner with other potential candidates and a few representatives from Progressive. The second day was a tour of the building and two half-hour one-on-one interviews with IT managers. The interviewers fill out pre-made forms with standard behavioral based questions, all in STAR format. There was one instance where the interviewer decided to deviate from the standard form and personally asked a technical question.

Overall, it seemed like a great company with friendly people. Individuality, diversity, and work/life balance seemed to be a major emphasis in the workplace.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose you have a simple web application. There is only a login field. If you only had one try at breaking this program, what would you do?   Answer Question

Reasonable compensation. Would have gladly taken this offer if I didn't have other offers.

IT Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in April 2014.

Behavioral based interviews. Uses the STAR format. SITUATION/TASK, ACTION, RESOLUTION. If you follow this for every question, you will do well. Most people go in not understanding the concept. Do not skip questions, if you do, you make sure you are the one to go back and answer it.

Customer Service Call Center Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2013.

Applied online, took online test, had phone interview. About one week later received an Email stating I was not moving to next level (in person interview).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about negative feedback you've received from a manager.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online – interviewed at Progressive Insurance in October 2013.

I applied online, took an assessment, and got an email within 24 hours saying that I passed the assessment and to follow a link to fill out my full work history. I was contacted the same week and they scheduled me a phone interview pretty quickly. It lasted one hour where we discussed my work history and was asked situational questions. At the end she said she would like to schedule a 1 on 1 interview. It was about a week later. I sat with a customer service rep for 30 minutes listening to her calls. She'd be there 5+ years and said she loved working for Progressive. I really enjoyed this part. Then a manager came and took me to a conference room and asked me about 5-6 situational questions. Another manager came in and asked me more questions. Both managers were extremely nice, made me feel comfortable, and were "real". I really loved the whole experience because I didn't feel like I being interrogated. If you are not familiar with the STAR interview process, look it up. They want you to follow this for every answer. Details are important, and the result is the most important. They said they would be in contact soon. I got a call from the recruiter a few hours later telling me that they were impressed with my interview and they would like to proceed in the next step. They had to complete a full background check. Once that was completed, I got a call with the offer. The whole process took 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you did not get along with a co-worker and how you handled it.   View Answer
    No negotiation. They posted a range of pay and they offered me right in the middle, I felt this was fair.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2013.

My first applications were sent in online. I had to apply six times before they put me into pre-qualification. After about 3 weeks I was called to set up a phone interview for the next week. You then receive an email giving you helpful hints on what kind of questions you should expect. I HIGHLY recommend that you write atleast two answers out for these. They take the STAR approach very seriously. After my phone interview she said she felt good enough to schedule me for a final interview in person. (Dress nicely!!) The first thing they did before my interview was let me sit in on phone calls with an experienced rep. I enjoyed this. He was very helpful, fun, and energetic. He told me it's a great company to work for. After 30 min. of this they took me to a small room upstairs and the first manager interviewed me. It was about 5 behavioral questions and you can not be SPECIFIC enough, I assure you. After that the next manager came in and asked me more questions again using the STAR format. This process took about 2 and half hours in total. My advice is to make sure you follow through on what the outcome of your situation was and what you learned. They are big on what you did to overcome an obstacle.

Interview Questions
    • What was something difficult in your job that you had to learn and what did you implement to learn this?   View Answer
    • What was a situation that you came across with an unruly customer and how did you handle it?   View Answer
    There is no negotiation in this position. You take what's offered or you decline. The starting pay and benefits are very nice though.

Direct Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in December 2012.

After submitting a resume online the recruiting team contacted me via email with a fairly lengthy online test to take. It was mostly personality stuff, but there were a few math problems. After completing the test I received an email stating that I was qualified for a phone interview. I completed the phone interview and about 45 min into it was asked to come in for a face to face. The face to face consisted of scripted questions followed by about 30 min sitting with one of their sales reps listening to calls, then another face to face with someone else asking the same questions. I tried to answer about the same for both people and the entire onsite interview took almost 3 hours. After about a week they called me with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • There was one math problem that took me a while even though it was multiple choice. You are asked to find variables and solve for % change in sales year over year, but none of the answers are 100% correct.   Answer Question

I was given an offer at another company for more $ and without working Saturdays as Progressive would have required. They also indicated that it is very hard to advance and a supervisor has to die to get promoted in the inbound sales department.