Progressive Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2014

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cutler Ridge, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cutler Ridge, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in August 2014.

Application was done online. Then, took an assessment based on math and what you would do questions. After that, phone interview which was scheduled; which consisted of STAR format questions. I was told and I would be contacted for a possible in person interview. It took almost a week to find out I was not going to move to the next step.

I did not quite understand how I could not get nailed this since I was really prepared. Most likely, interviewer did not write my inputs correctly; this could be translated as a lost from my end. Believe it or not, I did have a few examples in order to target each STAR question.

Interview Questions
    • None, pretty straight forward if you follow the pattern.   Answer Question

IT Operations Analyst Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in October 2012.

There is an online assessment test, a phone interview, and finally an on-site interview. Although the interview process will mainly focus on behavioral questions (for the IT side, not the app dev side), it is good - if not great - to include technical references in your answers, for example, if they ask about a difficult decision you had to make, they probably want to see how you deal with stressful situations, so feel free to bring up that class project where you had to configure an environment, and throw in some teamwork experiences and all the issues that came up in the process and how you worked them out. I recommend following the STAR process when answering any interview question - Situation, Task, Action, Result - it will help you stay on point and have a decent conversation with your interviewer.

You will be interviewed by Managers and likely very high ones.

Interview Questions
    • Not really difficult that I can remember, know the usual behavioral questions, strengths/weaknesses, challenges, teamwork experiences, etc.   Answer Question
    Not a lot of room - if any - for negotiating salaries or benefits since they like to start off the hiring class on the same level.

Claim Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2014.

Applied online,rec'd email to take an online assessment, scheduled a phone interview, then an in person interview with one manager, background check, job offer was extended, negotiated and accepted

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you took a stance on a situation only to change your mind later.   View Answer
    Received and offer exceeding the pay range for the position since I have multiple years experience with another company for insurance, I was able to negotiate for even more money.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

After applying through their website, I received an e-mail a month later to complete their online assessment. They give you two hours to complete this assessment and I found myself having completed it after 15-20 minutes. I received another e-mail stating that I had passed and to expect a recruiter to either e-mail or call me to set up a phone interview. A week after that e-mail, another e-mail was sent and asked me to schedule a date/time for the phone interview. When I checked into their scheduling, only one to two times were available and both times were while I was at work (9-10 am, or 10-11 am).

My personal preference is not to schedule phone interviews while I'm at work. Call me old fashioned or whatever you will, but interviewing for a new job while at work shows a complete lack of respect for your current employer and is wholly unprofessional. I wasn't going to do it, and I was hopeful that Progressive would understand and offer me a solution. I e-mailed their recruiter via a link in the e-mail, and explained that the available times for an interview fell during times I was at work.

A day later, I received a phone call asking me to contact a recruiter at a provided number to schedule a time for the phone interview. I was planning on calling them back once I returned home, but received another call from the recruiter later in the day, asking why I hadn't returned their call. I was still at work! The recruiter, in possibly the rudest tone I've ever heard from an HR "professional", stated that they hardly ever accommodated people requesting early evening phone interviews. My mistake for thinking they were actually interested in talking with me. Why companies insist on having people on the east coast conduct the phone interviews is beyond me. Are there no capable recruiters on the west coast (where I live) able to conduct these phone interviews? I work from 5 am - 2:30 pm PST, and you just know those recruiters are working from 9 am - 5 pm EST. So yeah, I guess no time they offered would have worked for me. However, I was not going to take an interview while at work, it was too short notice to take any time off, and considering the recruiter's tone in the second voice mail, I'm glad I didn't waste my time with Progressive. I withdrew my application immediately upon returning home.

Interview Questions
    • Most Unexpected - Not being treated respectfully by the recruiter and being made to feel that standing by my principles were an undesirable quality.   Answer Question

Marketing Process Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2013.

Interview process commenced with a first round phone screening from HR followed by 2 more rounds of onsite interviews. The HR interview was straight forward asking elimination questions like felonies, etc - but also included several behavioral questions.

Round 2 included two interviews with one peer manager (to-be) and the hiring manager. Both interviews were back to back and followed Progressive's standard Targeted Selection interview guide authored by DDI, inc. Each interview lasted 60 minutes. There were 2 background questions asked, then 100% guide. The guide used was the leadership guide/ leadership model - 9 competencies. Business Knowledge, Conceptual and Analytic Skills, Creativity and Innovation, Prioritizing Planning & Organization, Developing Other, Relationship Building, Open Communications, Drive for Results, Continuous Learning, and Leadership Style. Each of the 9 areas has 4 questions and they asked 1 question from each area. The expected expected candidate response is the STAR method.

Round 3 was a one on one interview with the hiring manager's boss and a leader from Product Management. Again the selection guide was used, but augmented with situation questions on how you would handle/respond to certain scenarios like press and regulatory inquiries, conflict between department goals and product goals, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a about a situation with a person whom you have had a particularly difficult time building a solid relationship. What steps did you take to build the relationship? What was the outcome?   Answer Question
    Offer was made via phone and followed up with HR official letter. I negotiated a 5% increase from base offer by asking simply is there any else you can do with the salary. They came back with 5% more plus bumped up relocation $$ to my moving estimate.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

They first have to accept your application which took about 3 weeks. Then take an assessment consisting of basic math and what would you do questions. If you pass then they give a phone interview which consisted of STAR format questions and past education and work history. She told me I did good on the phone interview and would schedule me for an in person interview. It took about a week for her to get back to me for an interview and the interview was scheduled for a week after that. Interview was easier than the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • All interview questions were expected to be answered in STAR format, so be prepared with examples.   View Answer

IT Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in April 2014.

Behavioral based interviews. Uses the STAR format. SITUATION/TASK, ACTION, RESOLUTION. If you follow this for every question, you will do well. Most people go in not understanding the concept. Do not skip questions, if you do, you make sure you are the one to go back and answer it.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2013.

Excellent, thorough and friendly without having to feel like you were being scrutinized every five to ten minutes. Punctual time frame set for interview, and it was right on schedule. Felt at ease the entire time and it was as if the interviewer were sitting across from me, not on the phone, three hundred miles away.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online and after a week i was asked to complete the assessment test and right away i was notified that i pass the assessment test and to wait for an email or phone call to make phone interview appointment. after a week i was schedule for an phone interview. after 2 days i was notify for the face to face interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2014.

I applied on May 25, 2014 and was contacted by a recruiter for an initial phone screen Jun 26, 2014. I had a face to face interview with the Hiring Manager in Mid-July.

The parties (recruiter & hm) were very friendly and receptive to my questions.

Although the process has been a little longer than preferred, it has been a rather smooth interaction with the company.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't rate this as a difficult or unexpected question, but I was asked why I wanted to transition into a role in the Insurance industry.   View Answer
    The salary was pretty much determined from the application phase.

Although a significant reduction from my current salary, I was able to obtain a few thousands more on the base.

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!