Progressive Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014
Updated Sep 26, 2014

3.3

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Process 1 month+
    Found job posted on Indeed.com applied to job through Progressive website. Would suggest adding this site to your favorites if you are interested in looking at all the jobs available- site is not set up for "job search" it is more for customer self service. Filled out application which is straight forward. Two days later got an invite for the assessment exam- which was not that difficult (basic math, P&L (profit/loss) graphs, behavioral). Two hours later I was told that I had passed and that I would be contacted by a recruiter. Two weeks later I received an email from the recruiter. It stated the times available for a phone interview and the format the interview would be conducted (STAR)- which I was used to because my former employer used the same format. She called promptly and the interview lasted about an hour and twenty minutes. Nothing in the interview was unexpected. I did ask her how many jobs were available and she told me one, but sometimes if there is a need and there are two very good candidates they can make exceptions. She told me not to worry about not having insurance experience because it sounds like I have a lot of the "soft skills" which are hard to teach, but the insurance part would be easy for them to teach me. She told me she would be contacting me to set up a in-person interview. A day later she wrote and told me what the day the interview would be (two weeks later) and I had 4 time options.

Arrived to interview 10 minutes early and the interviewer came and greeted me on time. The interview was conducted in private room, so there were no distractions. The interview was pretty straight forward only he started with the questions first then conducted the personal interview. Questions were very similar to the phone interview except there was a question about negotiation- how did you successfully negotiate in a situation. Same format was used (STAR). I did ask how many people did they interview for this job and how many jobs were available and he told me there was a total of three interviews and only one job.

At the end of the interview he told me that he was going to meet with the recruiter the next day and I could hear something maybe as early as Friday, but definitely early next week. I received no call or email. I then wrote to the recruiter on the following Wednesday just to "check in" and I received a automated reply that she would be out of the office until Friday. Then, on Friday at 2pm she call to tell they that they had selected another candidate. I asked what was the reason for their decision and she said the only thing different was that the other woman had "a little" experience in claims. She also told me that they reached out to the region requesting an additional job opening so that they could hire me, but unfortunately they had been turned down. She then told me that they maybe an opportunity in the future and she was 60% sure that there could be an opening by the end of the year, but this was not certain. I then asked if I would have to do this entire process again and she told me no.

I have to say I am a little disappointed that for a trainee position they went with someone that had experience. But, I am hopeful that I get a call back.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you had to successfully negotiate with someone. (not difficult, but I didn't expect it.)   Answer Question

Marketing Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

The hiring process is quite lengthy. Once you apply on-line it is decided if you should continue the process. If you continue, one must then take an on-line math and behavioral test. If one passes that, you then possibly get a phone interview with Human Resources. If one passes that, your resume is sent to the hiring manager for a possible face to face interview. Also, others on the team may interview you face to face or via the telephone. Once these interviews are completed, a timely decision is then made.

Interview Questions
    • Progressive is big on Behavioral Questions. There aren't any questions that are tricky, so as long as you have your SOAR or STAR stories you should do well.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

I was referred for the job by a current employee. I filled out the online application and received an email a few days later thanking me for submitting an application and that I should be on the lookout for an email containing next steps soon. I already knew from the person who referred me that there would be an online assessment. This assessment contains some math and personality questions. I received an email with instructions for the online assessment a few days later and was given about a week to complete it. The math was pretty basic--they would have a list of numbers and you had to determine what the next number would be in the sequence. They also had different charts and would ask questions like "If this trend were to continue what would you expect the company's profits to be in 2 months". For the personality questions--they basically want to see how you would handle different scenarios at work. Don't second guess yourself. Make sure you research the company so that you can know the best way to answer these questions. ( It may help to read each question aloud saying "If I were working at Progressive I would..."). After I submitted my assessment I received an email the following day saying that I passed and was given a date and time for my phone interview. I researched a lot of behavioral questions in advance and made sure to have examples prepared ahead of time. The interviewer was very nice and was easy to speak to. She asked me a little about my resume and then we jumped into the STAR questions. I was a little nervous at first but I got into the flow of things after the 1st STAR question. I was glad that I had prepared my answers in advance because a lot of the questions she asked were similar to what I had written down! After the interview she said that I would hear back within a few days either way.. I didn't really know how to take this since she didn't really say whether I had passed or not. I thought I did a really good job but she simply thanked me and said that she'd be in touch. About two hours later she called me back saying that I had passed the phone interview and that I would be moving on! We scheduled an in-person interview and she told me I would be given more STAR questions during the next interview. She also gave me recommendations on how I could better prepare for the in person interview. I was initially scheduled for an in person interview, but at the last minute the recruiter had to cancel because of a problem at one of the local offices. Currently waiting to reschedule.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you didn't agree with your supervisor's decision.
      What didn't you like about your last job?
        Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Applied online, invited to take assessment the next business day. Received email to schedule phone interview within a few hours after taking assessment. Emailed included link on what to expect in the phone interview which is STAR format questions. Prepared by writing out diff situations that applied to each STAR questions. Phone interview included about 6-7 star questions. Was told I would be moved on to in person interview at the end of the conversation. Scheduled in person interview for 1 week later. That interview was almost identical to phone interview and focused on STAR questions. Received call from recruiter the next business day with offer.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Offer was at high end of scale.

Project Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Have a hired outside screener to schedule job interviews by phone and will contact you for an in person interview after screened for the cut. During the interview the screeners ask questions about experience and qualifications. The will call you in for a panel interview if you do well on the phone.

Phones Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Uses the star format for every job posting. If you are not sure what that is then I suggest you research it online. It also helps to know about the company that you are applying to work with. Also, customer service is important so keep that in mind even when you are not in the middle of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time where you did not do as well as expected or made an error   Answer Question
    There was no negotiations. I accepted the offer presented.

Claims Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Applied online and then took a behavioral and pretty easy iq test, received two interviews, one with the manager I will be under and another of the office manager and received a call the next day with the offer.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions are name a time when, just have alot of examples about difficult decisions, problem solving etc.   Answer Question
    Entry Level so did not try to.

Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Anchorage, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

Had face-to-face interview. They said they would call back within a week, and they never called back. I had to call the recruiter multiple times to get feedback from my interview. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • If you could change one thing about your current position what would it be?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Interview

Found ad on craigslist, applied, took two different aptitude tests, phone interview. Basic questions most people should have no trouble with. Personality test as well, straight forward and pretty simple.

IT Applications Programmer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in September 2014.

Applied directly on the Progressive Website and was emailed 3 days later requesting a phone interview with an IT manager. All questions were behavioral/background and are expected to be answered using their "Star" approach. Honestly felt like I nailed the interview, but found out a few days later that I was not chosen to move on. My advice is to find a way to fit in the technologies they are looking for (C# and .NET) into every behavioral question with an example. This was difficult for me as most of my experience is academic and thus I failed to "showcase" myself in these technologies even though I know them well.

1) Tell me about a time when you didn't see eye to eye with an employee and how you convinced that employee to see things your way.
    (Had to use a non-related C#/.NET example here)

2) Tell me about a time where you showed leadership.
     (Had to use a non-related C#/.NET example here)

3) What are you doing to stay current with technology?
    I completely froze up in this question and failed to mention the countless books, podcast, meetups, and websites I study on every night

4) Current job, responsibilities, and recent projects
    They were looking for work related experience in C# and .NET here, but I was only able to provide examples that I did at home in these technologies

5) What is your primary programming language
    C# - This is what they're looking for as they are a ".NET Shop"

6) Tell me about a difficult project/problem and how you solved it

7) Tell me about your experience working with a team
    (Again provided them with a good example of how I work with a team in my current position, but it had nothing to do with C# and .NET)

The post interview rejection email provided a name that I could email to get feedback on the interview. Basically I was told I wasn't strong enough technically to move on even though the interview questions are all non-technical. Was told I could try again in 6-12 months when my technical skills were stronger. Can't emphasize enough how important it is to try and answer with technical programming examples - even if they aren't necessarily the best. In my opinion, this behavioral type interview format favors those with working experience and is very difficult for recent graduates like myself trying to break into the field.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you didn't see eye to eye with an employee and how you convinced that employee to see things your way.   View Answer

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!