Progressive Insurance

321 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Simple Interview

Riverview, FL

I applied through other source - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2014.

Interview Details – I went to an open house so it was a cattle call. It moved quickly and was set up professionally. The interview lasted about 20 minutes.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Progressive? Can't rly remember it was awhile ago.   Answer Question

Data Analyst II Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – Very long process, goes through a internet screen, phone interview, technical phone screen, and three in-person interviews.

Interview Question – Follows the STAR process   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Heard that they do not negotiate much and I liked what was offered.

Very Difficult Interview

Claims Adjuster Interview

Sacramento, CA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online March 20, 2014 and the next day I was sent an email asking me to take an assessment test. I researched the test as thoroughly as I could online for 7 days, and I took the test the second to the last day I could. Progressive is very good in sending emails to remind you how many days you have left to take the assessment before you are taken out of the hiring process. The test is a basic IQ test with some behavioral questions. You are given 2 hours to complete the test but it took me about 40 minutes. The next day I was sent an email asking me to schedule a phone interview with a recruiter. The email also has links to the Progressive career page informing you that the interview will be conducted in the STAR interview method. The link also had tips in how to answer the STAR questions. I scheduled the phone interview the following Thursday. I was called at precisely the time specified. The recruiter was extremely personable and explained what type of questions she would ask. We talked a bit about my education and experience. She asked me what I knew about the job and Progressive insurance. Be sure to research Progressive: core values, year founded, size etc. She then asked me about 8 questions in the STAR format. Be as concise as possible and tell them exactly what steps you took to handle an obstacle, goal, adversity, etc. I was sent an email the day after the phone interview stating they wanted me to come in for a in person interview, as well as completing a more thorough background questionnaire. Later that day HireRight sent me an email with a link asking me to fill out their background questionnaire. I filled out the questionnaire that evening and sent it off to HireRight. The following Tuesday the recruiter called me to give me an update about the hiring process and to give me feedback about my phone interview and tips on how to improve for my in person interview. The next week the recruiter called me to schedule the in person interview. I had the in person interview the next Thursday. The interview was in the same format as the phone interview. Both interviews took about an hour. I asked the hiring manager how I did and she told me "good, here is how you could have done better". I then thought "well that's it. I didn't get the job". The recruiter called me the next day at 9 am and told me the hiring manager was very impressed with me and she had a job offer pending passing the background. The recruiter called me a few hours later and told me my background had cleared and she had a firm job offer. I start May 19, 2014. Yay!!!������

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond what was expected? Tell me a time when you did not do your best and made a mistake at work and what became of the mistake?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Salary firm at $45K a year.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online Feb.11 and on Feb. 18 I received an email requesting for a phone interview. In that email it gives you a link to the scheduling center where you can pick a time that works for you. Usually before the phone they will have you take pre-employment testing but since I had applied for a position about 6 months ago (that I didn't get) and passed the testing, I didn't need to do it again. On Feb. 25 I had my phone interview. The recruiter was extremely nice and made me feel very comfortable throughout the entire interview. It felt more like a conversation. She asked me about 8 behavioral based questions (none that were really difficult). At the end of the interview she said that I would know if I was moving forward by the next week. The very next day I received an email that I would be moving forward and that I needed to complete some new additional information on my profile so that they could do the background check with HireRight. On March 7, I received an email from the recruiter requesting for an in person interview. On March 14, I had the in person interview. I was interviewed by the Regional Mgr. The Regional Manager was very welcoming and friendly. He also made the interview feel more like a conversation. We discussed my educational background and work history. I was also asked about 8 or so behavioral based questions and at the end of the interview I was told I would hear something by the following Friday. The decision took a little bit longer than expected but the nice thing was that the recruiter kept me informed throughout the entire process. On March 28, I received a phone call from the recruiter telling me that I had been selected and they had an offer for me.

Interview Question – Most questions were behavioral based questions (Tell me a time when.....) I was asked questions that pertained to customer service, multitasking, time management, organizational skills, negotiation skills, problem solving, analytical abilities, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate b/c what they offered me was a lot more than what I was making and it was competitive with the salaries that other individuals in a similar position are getting.

Claims Customer Service Adjuster Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for a job that was posted on Feb 28, and was contacted in the first week of March to take an online assessment of my skills and personality. I found out one day later, via email, that I had passed the assessment and would be contacted soon to set up a phone interview.

The following Monday (I found out about the exam on Friday) I was invited to set up an appointment for a phone interview. The cool thing about the phone interview schedule is that I was able to set it up for 7 AM (CST) -- this made it easy for me to participate in the phone interview without having to go in late to work or take an indeterminate amount of time for lunch.

I had the phone interview at the appointed time, and was given very positive feedback on the results. The format was a bit more informal than that of my in-person interview, which was conducted a few days later. This took a little over two hours, and I met with two managers who asked me a series of STAR format questions. It was sometimes a little difficult to gauge their reactions since they were busy writing down pretty much every word I said, but I was able to establish a rapport with each of them in turn.

My in-person interview was on a Tuesday, and I was contacted the following Thursday (March 20th) and told that Progressive was prepared to offer me the position. The only catch was that the hiring date was set at March 31st. This would not give me enough time to allow my current employer two weeks' notice before my departure, but the compensation was too good to pass up in lieu of not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings, so I accepted.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you have been given criticism by a supervisor that you did not agree with. How did you respond?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The starting wage was well beyond what I was previously making, and was advertised clearly in the job posting.

Claims Generalist Trainee Interview

New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2013.

Interview Details – Prepare, Prepare, Prepare is the best advice I can give to landing this job. First, I tweaked my resume based on what qualities and skills they were looking for in an ideal candidate. A cover letter helps too. Then after my resume was pre-qualified, came the assessment test. They give you more than enough time to take it only, if memory serves me correctly I think it was about 90 minutes but I finished in a fraction of the time. Take your time through the test though, overall the test isn't difficult, but remember to double check your answers before submitting. After I got past the test stage was the phone interview. Now they work off the S.T.A.R method of interviewing. For the phone interview, I had my scenarios written out. Everyone I addressed over the phone I crossed out. After the phone interview, the woman said that I'm moving on to the next stage of the "In person: interview. But suggested that I didn't use the same scenarios as my phone interview. Which worked out well for me since I was crossing out the ones I already used. So the in person interview wasn't so bad. Was more of the same, some more S.T.A.R interview question. Sometimes you have to feel out your interviewer though. Some welcomes many questions being asked to them and others just want to see what you can offer and be done with it. I had the be done with it guy, so I threw a few softball type questions at him. The interesting thing after the interview was that he said we was going to compare my answers from my phone interview. So it was a good thing I used new scenarios in my in person interview. After my interview was my background check. After that I was extended an offer. Total process took about a month.

Interview Question – S.T.A.R method questions. If you have your scenarios prepared, you'll do fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary range was between 45k-47k, offered me 48,500.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Riverview, FL

I applied online - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in December 2011.

Interview Details – applied online, received an email to take an assessment test, received a reply with in days about setting up a phone interview. I was also sent an email letting me know the questions that might be asked. After my phone interview I received another email with in a couple days about my face to face interview. The face to face interview was a 2 hour process interviewing with 2 managers. They use the STAR format for interviewing, asking about time management, mutli-tasking, problem solving and many more

Interview Question – Tell me about questions can be hard   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't know you could negotiate the salary, but what the offered was what I wanted so it worked out great.

Claims Generalist Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2014.

Interview Details – It was a great expericinec the interview went well not long at all very theral which I like cause they took the time to really make a good fit for you and the company.

Interview Question – What happened when you deagreed with management.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation set salary.

Claim Adjuster Trainee Interview

Interviewed at Progressive Insurance

Interview Details – After completing the online application I was sent an email within a week to take an assessment. The assessment consisted of about 50 questions asking you how you would handle certain situations and reading graphs/reports. A few days later I received an email notification indicating that I had passed the assessment and was able to schedule an over-the-phone interview which was done online. Progressive sends you an email confirming the time and also giving you tips on how to proceed with the interview, which I found to be very helpful. They emphasize on using a process called STAR when answering their questions - "S" = Situation, "T" = Task, "A" = Action, and "R" = Results. You first discuss the situation or task, how you handled it (action), and then the results. This would be helpful in any interview. At my scheduled time, I received a phone call to conduct my interview which lasted about an hour. The recruiter was extremely friendly and asked me to go over my work history, and then asked me a few situational questions. She informed me that if I "passed" this step I would get another email asking me to finish my online application in which new questions would pop up, and then another email requesting additional information to complete my background check. She also stated that if selected by the local hiring manager, I would be scheduled within a week to have an in-person interview. I am still waiting to see what happens but this process has been pretty quick.

Interview Question – None of the questions were overly difficult or unexpected. When Progressive sends you the email about how to prepare for the interview, there are a few general questions already that you can prepare for. Though those specific questions weren't asked of me, the answers I had prepared for them ahead of time helped me easily answer the situational questions. Since I prepared ahead of time I already had a few situations lined up to address.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in February 2014.

Interview Details – 1) Fill out Application, 2) Pass Assessment Test, 3) Accept and Complete Phone Interview, 4) Complete HireRight Employment Verification Check, 5) Complete Progressive's Criminal Background Check, 6)Accept and Complete a Satisfactory 1-day On-Site Interview with 2 Separate Supervisors **Expect to answer questions related to 1 specific call**, 7) If Offered a Position, ACCEPT THE JOB!!!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were assisting a customer on a situation that changed the way you thought about the company.   View Answer
  • Tell me about a time when you failed to provide the correct solution for a customer. What did you did to correct the issue?   View Answer
  • How do you handle calls from customers that seem to be unsatisfied with everything offered?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – We negotiated on a schedule that would still work for me.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Progressive Insurance

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Progressive Insurance Videos

Progressive Insurance – Why Work for Us?

Around here, people use the word “love” when talking about their jobs. That’s because Progressive is a special type of place… where you don’t stop until a project is finished—then eagerly move on to new and exciting… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Insurance interview questions and advice. All 321 interview reviews posted anonymously by Progressive Insurance employees and interview candidates.