Progressive Insurance

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

3.3

Claims Adjuster Interview

I applied online and received a phone interview, after the phone interview they contacted me to do an in person interview that would last approximately 2 hours. During the in person interview they also informed I would have the opportunity to speak with 2 different managers and that they would ask behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you took constructive criticism and how you learned from it?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Online application
    online test assessment
    phone interview
    person to person interview

For the phone interview really spend time reviewing the SMART question process which they will present to you. Make sure you are able to share past experiences at previous jobs.

Interview Questions
    • What was the worst customer experience you had and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    Be yourself and focus on your customer service skills.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield, OH

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in December 2014.

Start off saying that I applied 9 time over a period of time. Finally I received an online assessment. That took me about a half hour to complete. After that I then received an email requesting a phone interview. The phone took about an hour. I then received an email about a background check. Shortly after a woman called to set up a face to face interview. The face to face interview lasted a little longer than three hours. I had two separate interviews as well as shadowed a call center rep. I then received a phone call about a week later to inform me I was being offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Customers don't always know what they want or are looking for, name a time you helped a customer find exactly what they were looking for.   Answer Question
    I didn't try to negotiate anything. Everything I was offered was exactly what I was looking for.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Progressive Insurance came to my school's career fair where we had a brief conversation then scheduled an on-campus interview the next day. The interview was 30 minutes with two recruiters that consisted of only behavior questions. The next week, I was then sent an email setting up a final interview session at their facility in Cleveland. They rented a car for me and paid for a hotel the night before the final interview session with a mixer between interview candidates and employees the night before.

The final interview session was breakfast followed by an hour-long interview with a project manager then a break for an art tour and lunch ending with another hour-long interview with a different project manager. Both interview sessions were behavior only.

Overall, the hiring process moved quickly and the interviews were not overbearing, asking only behavior questions. I was not extended an offer.

Interview Questions
    • There were really no difficult questions, just standard behavior questions asking about experience and situations you have been in.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverview, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverview, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

To be hired as a Progressive Customer Service Representative is no easy task. You must first get through whatever screening process their HR utilizes, and I have yet to crack this riddle--I worked for Progressive for 12 years, and when I got hired I was coming from the restaurant industry. I had heard they liked restaurant people due to customer service experience, and also that they liked ex military. But during my time there I tried to refer many friends with much more valid and relevant experience than myself, but they never even got an interview.

If you DO get a phone interview, it's not too difficult. Just say the right things etc.

If your lucky enough to get an in person interview, know that it's going to be thorough, and behavioral based. Look that up. Also look up the S.T.A.R. method (Situation, Task, Action, Result). In short this means you are going to be asked specific questions regarding specific situations. Notice the word Specific. In your answers, you can't give generalities. You have to give a specific situation where you had to perform as specific task where you performed a specific task which resulted in a specific result. Also, be aware that the interview may be with between one and four interviewers (panel). If this interview is with one person, trust that you will have at least two other interviews, and again, these interviews may be panel interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work unsupervised? What did you do, and what was the result?   View Answer
    N/A

Marketing Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

I had a phone screening with HR, two face-to-interviews and two additional phone interviews. They are very thorough; wanting to make sure that you are a good fit for the company and the company is a good fit for you.

Interview Questions
    • Progressive uses institutional based interview questions, where you describe a scenario base on the question, discuss what you did in reference to the scenario and what the outcome was. It's not as easy as it sounds and you need to be prepared to answer 5 - 6 questions on each interview. What they want to know is how you react to a given situation, how you solve problems and if you are a team player. Good listening skills are very important.   Answer Question

Software Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

The interview process is very structured. The focus is on specific situations and task, how you handled it and the end result good or bad. Questions are targeted to specifc attributes related to the job and are looking for responses that meet the S.M.A.R.T. model.

Interview Questions
    • Those which they were looking for a negative outcome and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    No negotiations as this was an internal interview process

Claims Generalist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Hiring and interview process is tedious. You fill out an application, then have to be vetted by a recruiter, then a phone interview with the recruiter, then an in person interview with the hiring manager. The tedious part is the time between the recruiter call and in person interview. The company Progressive uses to do background checks is completely inept at their job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you went against supervision guidance to achieve a result.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Set salary.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

1. Completed online application.
    2. Completed online personality assessment and test of basic math and data analysis skills.
    3. Scheduled phone interview, which was cancelled by Progressive two days prior because the position had been filled.
    4. A couple of weeks later, I received notice that another position had opened. Another phone interview was scheduled.
    5. Phone interview completed with a recruiter in Cleveland. 40-45 minutes. Conversational. First half reviewed my work history, second half was STAR format questions: describe a policy you worked under that you didn't agree with; describe a time when you had to gain someone's trust. There were about 5 STAR questions.
    6. Recruiter set up expectation that I would hear something by the end of the week. Received email on Friday of that week that I was not moving on the in-person interview.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Applied online for a Claims Adjuster Trainee position on 10/20/14 (I believe the original posting date was either 10/15 or 10/17). I wrote a cover letter, sent my resume, filled out the online application and instantly received an email from Progressive stating that everything was received. That email gave me a link to follow up on my progress and suggested I check it daily. Every day I checked it, and every day it said my information was received but it hadn't been looked at yet with no actual contact from them at all in the meantime. Until today. This is what I received in an email.......22 days after submittng my information........"Thank you for your interest in our Claims Adjuster Trainee position. Unfortunately, the position closed before we were able to review your qualifications. We will keep your information on file and may contact you if a new position opens in that location." Seriously???? This is your idea of setting a good customer service example? You couldn't even look at my information in 22 days and yet your 'status' on this position was listed as 'active- seeking applications' as late as yesterday. Now, I could understand if I didn't have any experience or similar qualifications.......but I do...........many that actually parallel this position. I just can't believe you had so many submissions that you felt you didn't need to review all submissions....or maybe you did? Or maybe someone's friend got hired? If so, I would have preferred a full fledged rejection letter. I feel duped.....and incredibly disappointed.

Interview Questions
    • The online application is very basic with the most difficult question asking why you are chosing to leave your current employer. I wish I had the opportunity to go further in the process   Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Dec 17, 2014Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. If you would still like follow up, please reach out to us at careers@progressive.com. -KH, Recruiting