Progressive Insurance

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

3.3

Claims Adjuster Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Apply, phone interview,wonderlic test, in person interview. lots of situation, task, action, result questions or Star questions as they are sometimes called. Customer service skills are stressed and top priority during interview process.

IT Applications Programmer Senior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

The Hiring process takes much longer than expected. 3-4 weeks for the entire process. First, Is a initial screening phone call. Next a technical screening phone call. Interview after if you pass the phone calls. 1:1 interviews with 3 people. Background check process can take a few days.The HR staff a very helpful and friendly

The First two 1:1 interviews are from developer leads. The third interview is with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    They knew my salary from my last employer and offered me a significant amount more. It wasn't hard to accept that.

Progressive Insurance Response

Nov 6, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience through our interview process. We realize it can be lengthy, but we want to make sure this is a good fit for you as much as it is for us. Congrats ... More

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

The interview process is pretty difficult. You start with a personality test. If you don't pass that, you must wait 6 months to reapply. If you get through that, there's a computer simulation. If you pass, you get a phone interview. If you pass, you get a face to face which consisted of several different people coming into a room and asking you questions based on your past experience. You must answer based on the STAR, situation, task, action, resolution.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions are really difficult if you have plenty of customer service experience to draw from. It's hard to prepare for such specific questions though.   Answer Question
    They call you and tell you how much you will be paid based on your ecperience.

Inbound Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2014.

The process took about 4 weeks. I had originally applied for customer then tried for sales. I received an email about 2 days after applying for the job to complete an assessment. The assessment was mostly behavioral questions also with mathematical questions took 30 minutes to complete. The next day i received an email to complete the background check which took 3 days for them to complete. I waited for about 5 days then received a call from a recruiter to attend an onsite interview event where i interviewed with 2 managers. They were both laid back and each asked a total of 15 situational questions

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were not able to close a sale and what did you learn?   Answer Question
    They already have pay set up between $13.50 to $16.70 which is by experience

Data Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2014.

First round - On-campus with the recruiter. Recruiter was very nice and helpful. Then invited to their Cleveland office. Previous day there was a networking event where you can talk to the interviewers and ask questions about the company and the position. Next day, whole day interview which consists of 3 rounds of behavioral (7-8 questions in each round. But, questions are repeated), lunch and campus tour. Overall it was good. But I don't like the idea of choosing the candidates based on only behavioral kind of interviews. Recruiter called me to convey the 'no offer' message with a brief feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Be prepared to give all the details related to the question before they ask you which I didn't. It cost me a job.   Answer Question

Claims Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2014.

Applied through online posting. Received email with prompts to complete online screening. It was a generic questionnaire. In a week I received a follow up email to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was casual. The recruiter asked about work related and educational background. The phone interview also consist of (name a time) type questions. At the close of the phone interview the recruiter passed me through to the next round. The next round was a live interview. In the live interview, I interviewed with one manager. She asked fairly similar behavioral questions. After interviewing with the first manager a second manager interviewed me. She asked different questions but the format was similar.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had a difficult customer and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Representative Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverview, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverview, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2014.

I submitted an online application and heard back within two days to complete the online test. 12 hours after completing the test, I was invited to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview took place about a week later and was very well conducted. The recruiter I spoke with really put me at ease and I felt like she asked great probing questions to make sure I answered all of her questions in as much detail as possible. All questions were STAR structured.

I was told I was moving on to the 1:1 interviews at the end of the phone interview. I was sent a link to complete the background check about two hours after the interview had concluded.

The 1:1 interview was much like the phone interview, although the types of questions asked seem to focus more on mistakes made (lessons learned) and examples of when you were subject to feedback and how it was handled. Having made a couple of mistakes ;-) I had some examples to draw on. In
    my current role, I am subject to much constructive feedback, so I was comfortable giving answers to these questions. There were however a few I got stumped on and I am not sure whether I represented myself as well as I could have! After an interview with the initial two supervisors, I was then given the opportunity to informally chat with another supervisor. She had a very open and honest demeanor and really allowed me the time to ask her questions about the role. I really appreciated having the opportunity to talk to her about the position, and was impressed about how honest she was about employee retention and the position expectations.

I am still waiting to hear back on the decision, but followed up with the recruiter I had been working with. She emailed me back within minutes to let me know that they would be making a decision this week. I have to say, as far as recruiting practices go, I have had a very positive experience with Progressive and even if I am not successful, I would definitely apply to work for the company again.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, although I thought there would be more customer service based questions included.   Answer Question

Claims Administrative Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2014.

Applied online Sep 30, phone interview 10/7, in person interview 11/4, awaiting decision.

Applied end of September on Indeed for the position. They have you set up a portal on their hiring website and apply that way. Got an email about 3-4 days later that they wanted to move forward for a phone interview, Scheduled that for the following week. The recruiter called me and we spoke for a little over an hour. About 3-5 behavioral questions. BE SPECIFIC & DESCRIPTIVE without being overly verbose would be my best advice. After the interview, the recruiter let me know pretty much immediately that he was going to be moving me forward to the in-person on-site interview with the managers.

The next day, i got the email request for a background check & application. I filled it all out and waited. About 3 days later, the background check company emailed me asking for more information. I took literally about 6 days to obtain what they needed (paperwork from my job stating my length or employment) and send it in.

About a week or so later, I got an email from my recruiter inviting me to the 2nd interview. I emailed the recruiter back choosing my interview date & got a confirmation email about a day later scheduling me for early the following week.

Met with 2 managers on site for the casualty office in my city. We sat in a small conference room. They both had laptops & packets out in front of them. We made minor small talk, they asked me about my background & skills, then we went into the questions. They seemed surprised when I said the phone interview I had was the same behavioral format. So we launched in with each of them asking me about 2 questions at a time. They looked at me, but also wrote down much of what I said and typed on their laptops.

I answered about 6 questions or so, and then they asked me if I had any questions. I did and the interview became much more relaxed, funny, and easy. I asked about 4 questions of my own and then closed the interview out. They said they would be making a decision in about 2 weeks (!!!!) so they would be in touch. I'd say I was there about 50 minutes.

UPDATE: I received a call from the recruiter saying they were waiting for the remainder of my background check before they could make a firm offer. He said background delays were common. Fingers crossed!

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you failed and what you did to learn from the situation.   Answer Question

Claims Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Applied and had the phone interview within 2 weeks. The online assessment was about the same as other companies. After taking the assessment I was emailed saying that I passed and will be getting another email to set up the phone interview. The recruiter called on time and the process took about 25 minutes. She said she needed to talk to two other people and would get back with me by Friday.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time were you went above and beyond for a customer and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Process 1 month+
    Found job posted on Indeed.com applied to job through Progressive website. Would suggest adding this site to your favorites if you are interested in looking at all the jobs available- site is not set up for "job search" it is more for customer self service. Filled out application which is straight forward. Two days later got an invite for the assessment exam- which was not that difficult (basic math, P&L (profit/loss) graphs, behavioral). Two hours later I was told that I had passed and that I would be contacted by a recruiter. Two weeks later I received an email from the recruiter. It stated the times available for a phone interview and the format the interview would be conducted (STAR)- which I was used to because my former employer used the same format. She called promptly and the interview lasted about an hour and twenty minutes. Nothing in the interview was unexpected. I did ask her how many jobs were available and she told me one, but sometimes if there is a need and there are two very good candidates they can make exceptions. She told me not to worry about not having insurance experience because it sounds like I have a lot of the "soft skills" which are hard to teach, but the insurance part would be easy for them to teach me. She told me she would be contacting me to set up a in-person interview. A day later she wrote and told me what the day the interview would be (two weeks later) and I had 4 time options.

Arrived to interview 10 minutes early and the interviewer came and greeted me on time. The interview was conducted in private room, so there were no distractions. The interview was pretty straight forward only he started with the questions first then conducted the personal interview. Questions were very similar to the phone interview except there was a question about negotiation- how did you successfully negotiate in a situation. Same format was used (STAR). I did ask how many people did they interview for this job and how many jobs were available and he told me there was a total of three interviews and only one job.

At the end of the interview he told me that he was going to meet with the recruiter the next day and I could hear something maybe as early as Friday, but definitely early next week. I received no call or email. I then wrote to the recruiter on the following Wednesday just to "check in" and I received a automated reply that she would be out of the office until Friday. Then, on Friday at 2pm she call to tell they that they had selected another candidate. I asked what was the reason for their decision and she said the only thing different was that the other woman had "a little" experience in claims. She also told me that they reached out to the region requesting an additional job opening so that they could hire me, but unfortunately they had been turned down. She then told me that they maybe an opportunity in the future and she was 60% sure that there could be an opening by the end of the year, but this was not certain. I then asked if I would have to do this entire process again and she told me no.

I have to say I am a little disappointed that for a trainee position they went with someone that had experience. But, I am hopeful that I get a call back.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you had to successfully negotiate with someone. (not difficult, but I didn't expect it.)   Answer Question