Progressive Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

3.3

Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in August 2015.

Interview

I conducted a phone interview. It was a bit like the STAR system that was described on the website, but rather than explain specific scenarios, the questions asked more about my responsibilities in my current job. There were also questions about why I was interested in Progressive. It was pretty standard. None of the "tell me about a time when you did X" or "tell me about a time when you had to do X when you wanted to do Y and how you went about it."

Interview Questions

• What is your typical day like at your current employer?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

So far the interview process has been very transparent. I have the ability to check my application status on their application website and it's updated real time. I applied online and the following day I received an email with a link for an online assessment. Two days later I received an email advising me that I had passed the assessment and invited me to schedule a date and time for a phone interview. I scheduled the interview for the following week. The phone interview was about 9 or 10 STAR questions preceded with questions about why I want to work for Progressive, and what I know about the company. When the phone interview concluded. the interviewer thanked me and told me they would be in contact with me. I felt the interview went well up until that point as those aren't the words anyone wants to hear during an interview. I was anxious and kept checking the status on their applicant website which stated that I was still at the phone interview stage.I hadn't received any emails so I checked the website again 4 hours later and was happy to find that the status had changed to "in person interview." I then checked my email spam folder and realized that I did in fact receive an email with a formal request for a background check. I submitted that, and the following day received another email inviting me to schedule an in person interview. I am currently awaiting my in person interview which will be at the end of this week. The company is very detail oriented and it is well reflected in their interview process. A company who is committed to keeping their employees involved and informed from the point of candidacy speaks volumes of their character. I am looking forward to the interview and being part of such positive culture.

Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Tallahassee, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

Saw the position advertised through my college's career center and was excited to see an actual entry level position doing something interesting and well paying that was within my geographic limitations (can't move right now). Applied online and was initially impressed with how transparent they were about the process. I was pretty confident that I would at least make it to the second stage of the application process but when I received my first actual response from Progressive it was bad news. I was told that my application wasn't strong enough compared to other applications they had received. I was confused since I met or exceeded all the qualifications listed, and since the position I applied for was an entry level one. Hoping to contact and find out specifically where I had been out-competed to such an extent that it wasn't even worth it for Progressive to have me continue through the automated part of the application process I followed the instructions in the email for how to contact them. However this just led me to a page detailing the many ways to contact Progressive as a customer or prospective customer. It was extremely demoralizing to be immediately shut down when applying for an entry level position, and more so since there doesn't seem to be any way to get direct or constructive feedback from the recruiters. It's hard to stay optimistic when you can't even get your foot in the door for entry level positions. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to break into the labor market and start earning enough to live on, let alone find a career that is fulfilling and interesting.

Progressive Insurance Response

Jul 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you providing your feedback and perspective. If you'd like to talk further so we can look into this for you, email us at careers@progressive.com. -KH, Recruiting

Call Center Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Mayfield, OH) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied every two-three weeks because they always have new job postings. On July 1st I received a request to take the online assessment, which are standard "what would you do" and "about me" questions. The next morning I received an email saying I passed and will receive a call or email on what to do next. So 5 days later I was emailed a request to schedule a date for my phone interview. I have a family member who works there so I knew the questions wouldn't be the easiest if I didn't study so I chose the last possible date to give myself enough time because I knew if I was nervous enough it was possible that I would draw a blank here and there. Also, sometimes they ask you questions about a situation that you haven't had in about a year or so, so I wanted to take time to really remember those situations and be able to explain them in great detail in STAR(situation/task, action, result) format and study the company as well. During my phone interview she made me feel so comfortable, it really felt like a conversation with a friend at times(I used one of the techniques they talked about in the Progressive recruitment career guide on their site and dressed up in professional attire like I was face to face, just so I wouldn't get too comfortable and forget it was an actual interview). I was given an overview of the position, then asked the STAR questions and then she went into the details of the position, the company and what they had to offer. She was very very friendly, and honest about everything which put me at ease, and just made me want to join the company even more! About 2 days later I received a request email for a background check. The company that does the background check does a thorough investigation on everything so I suggest pulling out old checks, w-2 forms, knowing start and ending employment dates, diplomas, etc. Before I even started to fill out my information for my background check I received a call within the next few hours to schedule an onsite interview. Once again I scheduled it about a week later to give myself time to really study but a few days later, they called to move my interview 1 day up(no other options). So of course by then i've done my background check, just waiting for them to complete it. During the onsite interview, I interviewed with two different people (one was super excited and friendly, and the other was not so excited but still friendly) I was told that I was missing the part of the interview where we sit and listen to some of the calls because of the location we were at but that was fine for me. They asked all STAR questions(I'll give examples below). 10 days later I received an email saying the liked me but they were waiting on the background check to be completed before they actually offer me the position. About a week later, Today August 4th I received a call and was offered the position and I am SUPER EXCITED. The entire process was a few days over a month but was well worth the wait, I start in a week and a half!! Pray for me guys xD... I hope this was helpful!

Interview Questions

• Describe a problem you recently had to solve? What did you do?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you were faced with conflicting priorities? How did you determine which was top priority?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a good decision you made recently? Why was it a good decision?   Answer Question
    • Describe a problem you have recently been asked to solve? How did you do it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had a unreasonable request from a customer? What did you do?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your most difficult customer. What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no need to negotiate.

Claims Adjuster Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

I applied on a Friday and received an email on the following Monday with a request for a phone interview. The phone interview took place the following Friday. Must fully understand the STAR method! Be prepared to recall your past interactions and events.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you were in a situation where you couldn't persuade someone/a group of people and what happened next.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you made a rash decision and what was the outcome   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Applied online, then I did a test online with lots math questions, then I got an emailed l saying to set a time for a phone interview with recruiter . I set the time and few days later this recruiter from a staffing agency call me. He acted like " know at all" and want sound Mr super smart on the phone. I completely dislike his attitude and at this point, I really didn't want connect anymore because any time that I always answers my questions I could sense his " whatever " on the other side of the line because he was interrupting me and acting like he was better than me because I'm just a " job seeker". I felt super humiliated and truly didn't really engage with this company. I give my heart and answer the questions as the best as possible but never again I will apply for this company. And these phone interviews are in no way shape or form a measurement to qualify a candidate. There are lots of phenomenal people out there ... Who's these careless recruiter don't pay attention because they think they're experts and when comes to to have the job done and been an excellent employee they miss many candidates . At the end of the phone call, I asked few questions he barely didn't want answer and said he would forward my resume to the hiring manager which I knew was crapola! I am glad I didn't get into this position because I saw the statics of retention for it and I just got my 2nd face-to- face interview with a wonderful company. Good luck all!

Interview Questions

• Why do want work for progressive?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Richardson, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied, online assessment, phone interview, background check, and then face to face interview. Thought everything went great with face to face interview, but received a call the next day and was advised they went with someone who gave more customer service oriented answers to the star questions and someone that had claims experience, which make no sense as this is a trainee position.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Sacramento, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I got my interview call after waiting ten minutes after my scheduled time, and when she did finally call the interview process was horrible. She was very short, kept interrupting me claimed to not be able to hear me so had to call back. After the call back I was completely discouraged by the interview it all just went down hill from there. I took this whole process very seriously but felt as though I've wasted my time. This was not an appropriate way to be given an interview. But all is well the hours were terrible, and you can't do anything about it until a year of employment and only if you've had good performance and get chosen on a bid. The background company they use Hireright is an outsourced company who the people doing your background checks are in the Philippines and don't hardly speak english. I'd say Progressive! Since it's such a process to be employed by you, you should employee sturdy candidates. Something I didn't experience during this process. Thanks for the opportunity.

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Sacramento, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

After I submitted my resume, I received an email the next day to take the online assessment. Most of the assessment was behavioral questions which I tried to answer consistently. The rest were straightforward math/graph questions. The next day I got an email that I passed the assessment and would be getting a phone interview. It was a holiday weekend so it took several days schedule the interview. I picked the earliest time offered. Interview was about 40 minutes long. I got a lot of positive feedback from the recruiter so I think it went pretty well. He said I'll know within the next two days if I've make it to the next step in the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you made a mistake at your current job. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Dallas, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Apply online, email for online testing, phone interview, on site interview, and then a call with the offer once the background check is complete. Once the phone interview was over, while she was still on the line with me, the recruiter emailed me the permission form for the background check and scheduled my in-person interview. When the in person interview finished, the manager told me I would hear from the recruiter in about a week. I got an offer by email and phone 8 days after the in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you change about your current job? Be specific and explain what changes you would make and what the result would be.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't try to negotiate my salary since this is an entry-level position. Not sure if you can or not. Be sure and go over the offer with your recruiter. Maybe I dropped the ball on negotiating salary?