Progressive Insurance

356 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Claims Generalist Intermediate Interview

Claims Generalist Intermediate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in September 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was extremely thorough, and included a background check. The interview process consisted of an initial phone interview, an in-person interview with a local branch manager, and a secondary "interview" with members of the team and a team leader. As a prospective employee, I felt I had the opportunity to "interview" the company while they were interviewing me.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision that you knew your supervisor would not like or agree with, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Claims Adjuster Trainee
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – Applied online and a few days later I received an email stating that they were impressed with my credentials and that I needed to take an online assessment that included basic mathbproblems and a personality test. I hate doing personality test because I never do well with them. I did some research on the type of test that would be given and garnered some great insight on how to approach the test. The advice was to answer as if you're the perfect employee and another tip was to mentally add the phrase "at work" to the end of each question. These were great tactics because I passed my first personality test. The math portion of the test was very easy. It dealt basically with projections and reading charts.

I after I completed the test I received an email a few hours later stating that I passed and that i would move on to the phone interview portion of the process. I received an email link to the scheduling calendar and schedule my interview for 5 days later, because I wanted to research the company and the STAR interview method that they said they would be using.

My phone interview went well. I was nervous at first but the recruiter put me at ease and once we established a rapport I was able to answer the questions in full detail.
Before the recruiter started the questions she did inform me that the answer should be in STAR FORMAT, in order to save time. I would advise you to write the main points of the questions down so you don't forget the question or get off-track.

This Glaasdoor website provided a ton of information, I garnered at least 20 different STAR questions from here. The interview lasted about an hour even though the pace was very fast. Maintain control and make sure that you get your important points across.

I received an email today stating that I made it to the next time to interview with the hiring manager but that I needed to pass the background check stage first. The in~person interview may be about a week away. So I'll start preparing for that and smoothing out my presentation.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to obtain information from someone who was not as forthcoming as they should have been?   Answer Question

Senior Programmer Analyst Interview

Senior Programmer Analyst
Cleveland, OH

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2011.

Interview Details – two senior developers or architects alternate in the questions, and instead of specific tech Q&A, focus was more on designing software, general structuring, and idioms on how to avoid pits and traps

Interview Question – Asked to code on the spot, review it, self-critique it, and see if there are opportunities to make it better   View Answer

Negotiation Details – managers have some leeway in enticing the offer, but not much. A publication such as book or article helps in getting a bit more.

Claims Generalist Trainee Interview

Claims Generalist Trainee

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – After applying online I received a link to complete and online assessment . I finished and passed this and received a call a week later to set up a phone interview. After completing this interview I had an extensive in person interview with a manager.

Interview Question – Please describe a situation where you had to complete a task that was against what you believe in.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Claims Adjuster Interview

Claims Adjuster
Eugene, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in May 2014.

Interview Details – They have a long application process. I submitted the application in March and they made a decision mid May. Everyone in the interviewing process was friendly and helpful. It seemed like they all wanted to hire me. They told me that I would hear within 2 weeks after the final interview and I heard 17 days later. I felt that it was a straightforward process and quite enjoyable as far as interviews go.

Interview Question – I didn't think any of the questions were difficult or unexpected. They use the STAR system of interviewing so if you understand that you will do fine.   Answer Question

Claims Generalist Interview

Claims Generalist

Interviewed at Progressive Insurance

Interview Details – The hiring process was surprisingly quick. I submitted my application online and was hired within a few weeks. Everyone I spoke with was exceptionally helpful and they kept me informed at each step. There is an online application followed by an online questionnaire. If you make it passed both of those, there is a phone interview and then an in person interview.

Interview Question – They expect you to be very specific with examples of past work decisions.   Answer Question

IT Operations Analyst Interview

IT Operations Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with one of the IT managers. They were looking for more hardware and server side experience than software. Most of the question were STAR format. Reviewed resume and asked some technical questions.

Interview Question – Give me a specific example of a time when you convinced your supervisor or professor of an idea. How did you accomplish this and what was the result?   Answer Question

Inbound Contact Center Representative Interview

Inbound Contact Center Representative
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in December 2010.

Interview Details – if you're great with people you'll do great in this interview. Laugh, smile, relax. Focus on why you love working with customers, what you might have learned from past jobs/customers that can/did help you to improve your customer service skills, and your customer's overall experience.

Interview Question – There really wasn't any for me..but I am naturally good with conversing with people and building relationships with customers.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I wanted 15, they offered 13 something and it went up to 14.95 after training.

Claims Generalist Interview

Claims Generalist
Athens, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in August 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process at Progressive was difficult but well worth it. You take an assessment test, the you have a phone interview. Then you have two face-to-face interviews. The whole process could take weeks. The training is second to none though.

Interview Question – Why would you be a good fit to our company?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was my first professional job so I took what they offered.

Very Difficult Interview

Claims Adjuster Interview

Claims Adjuster
Sacramento, CA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online March 20, 2014 and the next day I was sent an email asking me to take an assessment test. I researched the test as thoroughly as I could online for 7 days, and I took the test the second to the last day I could. Progressive is very good in sending emails to remind you how many days you have left to take the assessment before you are taken out of the hiring process. The test is a basic IQ test with some behavioral questions. You are given 2 hours to complete the test but it took me about 40 minutes. The next day I was sent an email asking me to schedule a phone interview with a recruiter. The email also has links to the Progressive career page informing you that the interview will be conducted in the STAR interview method. The link also had tips in how to answer the STAR questions. I scheduled the phone interview the following Thursday. I was called at precisely the time specified. The recruiter was extremely personable and explained what type of questions she would ask. We talked a bit about my education and experience. She asked me what I knew about the job and Progressive insurance. Be sure to research Progressive: core values, year founded, size etc. She then asked me about 8 questions in the STAR format. Be as concise as possible and tell them exactly what steps you took to handle an obstacle, goal, adversity, etc. I was sent an email the day after the phone interview stating they wanted me to come in for a in person interview, as well as completing a more thorough background questionnaire. Later that day HireRight sent me an email with a link asking me to fill out their background questionnaire. I filled out the questionnaire that evening and sent it off to HireRight. The following Tuesday the recruiter called me to give me an update about the hiring process and to give me feedback about my phone interview and tips on how to improve for my in person interview. The next week the recruiter called me to schedule the in person interview. I had the in person interview the next Thursday. The interview was in the same format as the phone interview. Both interviews took about an hour. I asked the hiring manager how I did and she told me "good, here is how you could have done better". I then thought "well that's it. I didn't get the job". The recruiter called me the next day at 9 am and told me the hiring manager was very impressed with me and she had a job offer pending passing the background. The recruiter called me a few hours later and told me my background had cleared and she had a firm job offer. I start May 19, 2014. Yay!!!������

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond what was expected? Tell me a time when you did not do your best and made a mistake at work and what became of the mistake?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Salary firm at $45K a year.