Progressive Insurance

3.3

Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Had face-to-face interview. They said they would call back within a week, and they never called back. I had to call the recruiter multiple times to get feedback from my interview. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • If you could change one thing about your current position what would it be?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Found ad on craigslist, applied, took two different aptitude tests, phone interview. Basic questions most people should have no trouble with. Personality test as well, straight forward and pretty simple.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

They first have to accept your application which took about 3 weeks. Then take an assessment consisting of basic math and what would you do questions. If you pass then they give a phone interview which consisted of STAR format questions and past education and work history. She told me I did good on the phone interview and would schedule me for an in person interview. It took about a week for her to get back to me for an interview and the interview was scheduled for a week after that. Interview was easier than the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • All interview questions were expected to be answered in STAR format, so be prepared with examples.   View Answer

IT Applications Programmer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in September 2014.

Applied directly on the Progressive Website and was emailed 3 days later requesting a phone interview with an IT manager. All questions were behavioral/background and are expected to be answered using their "Star" approach. Honestly felt like I nailed the interview, but found out a few days later that I was not chosen to move on. My advice is to find a way to fit in the technologies they are looking for (C# and .NET) into every behavioral question with an example. This was difficult for me as most of my experience is academic and thus I failed to "showcase" myself in these technologies even though I know them well.

1) Tell me about a time when you didn't see eye to eye with an employee and how you convinced that employee to see things your way.
    (Had to use a non-related C#/.NET example here)

2) Tell me about a time where you showed leadership.
     (Had to use a non-related C#/.NET example here)

3) What are you doing to stay current with technology?
    I completely froze up in this question and failed to mention the countless books, podcast, meetups, and websites I study on every night

4) Current job, responsibilities, and recent projects
    They were looking for work related experience in C# and .NET here, but I was only able to provide examples that I did at home in these technologies

5) What is your primary programming language
    C# - This is what they're looking for as they are a ".NET Shop"

6) Tell me about a difficult project/problem and how you solved it

7) Tell me about your experience working with a team
    (Again provided them with a good example of how I work with a team in my current position, but it had nothing to do with C# and .NET)

The post interview rejection email provided a name that I could email to get feedback on the interview. Basically I was told I wasn't strong enough technically to move on even though the interview questions are all non-technical. Was told I could try again in 6-12 months when my technical skills were stronger. Can't emphasize enough how important it is to try and answer with technical programming examples - even if they aren't necessarily the best. In my opinion, this behavioral type interview format favors those with working experience and is very difficult for recent graduates like myself trying to break into the field.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you didn't see eye to eye with an employee and how you convinced that employee to see things your way.   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in September 2014.

It took me 5 weeks process. I did the assessment in early August. Three days later I was told I passed and to look forward to a phone interview. I did the phone interview in mid September and at the end of September I went in for face ti face. The next day I was offered the job.

Medical Pay Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverview, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverview, FL

Applied online received an email the next day for an assessment I passed that then I did a phone interview the next day did well on that. Next was the face to face interview with two different hiring managers. I thought I did good they gave me lots of feedback and were very nice! After waiting a week I got a call from my recruiter that didn't get the job because my answers weren't complex enough??? Maybe because I have no call center experience but I applied because I've worked in the medical for five years. Oh well

Interview Questions
    • When did you have an job related error where your supervisor had to get involved and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in September 2014.

Start by completing an online assessment with lots of questions that have no right/wrong answer. A few questions are actually interpreting charts/graphs. Then a phone interview with a recruiter who asks 5-7 STAR questions, followed by an in-person interview with the actual location. Got to the in-person interview and the interviewer actually skipped a question he was supposed to ask me because he said it was redundant. We laughed throughout the interview and I thought I did exceptionally well. He even said I did great and I got a good vibe before I left. He told me I would receive a call from my recruiter in less than a week. I waited over a week after calling the recruiter myself, and she finally gets back to me to tell me I have not been chosen. Gave some generic feedback for me that did not make sense, and poorly answered my questions. Anyways I had multiple years experience doing independent appraisals as well as customer service, so I thought I was extremely qualified.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to take renovate a method in which you used in terms of planning and staying organized.   View Answer

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield Heights, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield Heights, OH

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in September 2014.

Behavioral interview that must follow the STAR format. Some interviewers may help you walk through the situation. Some questions are vague and not really relevant to the position applied for. It's difficult to determine if this method is effective in hiring the best possible candidate. People are very nice but the process is lengthy. Internal recruiter is very helpful in setting expectations and/or timelines.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you weighed the pros and cons and decided against something you were being pressured to do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

After applying through their website, I received an e-mail a month later to complete their online assessment. They give you two hours to complete this assessment and I found myself having completed it after 15-20 minutes. I received another e-mail stating that I had passed and to expect a recruiter to either e-mail or call me to set up a phone interview. A week after that e-mail, another e-mail was sent and asked me to schedule a date/time for the phone interview. When I checked into their scheduling, only one to two times were available and both times were while I was at work (9-10 am, or 10-11 am).

My personal preference is not to schedule phone interviews while I'm at work. Call me old fashioned or whatever you will, but interviewing for a new job while at work shows a complete lack of respect for your current employer and is wholly unprofessional. I wasn't going to do it, and I was hopeful that Progressive would understand and offer me a solution. I e-mailed their recruiter via a link in the e-mail, and explained that the available times for an interview fell during times I was at work.

A day later, I received a phone call asking me to contact a recruiter at a provided number to schedule a time for the phone interview. I was planning on calling them back once I returned home, but received another call from the recruiter later in the day, asking why I hadn't returned their call. I was still at work! The recruiter, in possibly the rudest tone I've ever heard from an HR "professional", stated that they hardly ever accommodated people requesting early evening phone interviews. My mistake for thinking they were actually interested in talking with me. Why companies insist on having people on the east coast conduct the phone interviews is beyond me. Are there no capable recruiters on the west coast (where I live) able to conduct these phone interviews? I work from 5 am - 2:30 pm PST, and you just know those recruiters are working from 9 am - 5 pm EST. So yeah, I guess no time they offered would have worked for me. However, I was not going to take an interview while at work, it was too short notice to take any time off, and considering the recruiter's tone in the second voice mail, I'm glad I didn't waste my time with Progressive. I withdrew my application immediately upon returning home.

Interview Questions
    • Most Unexpected - Not being treated respectfully by the recruiter and being made to feel that standing by my principles were an undesirable quality.   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online and after a week i was asked to complete the assessment test and right away i was notified that i pass the assessment test and to wait for an email or phone call to make phone interview appointment. after a week i was schedule for an phone interview. after 2 days i was notify for the face to face interview.