Project Management Institute Interview Questions

Updated Mar 11, 2015
Updated Mar 11, 2015

3.2

Senior Project Manager/Program Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Project Management Institute.

Great local office location, friendly receptionist. Led to a small room off reception area and was interviewed for about two hours by one HR person, then a department manager, who I was told was not the one I would be working with or reporting to. The details of the new position had not been worked out and there was no job description finalized. As a professional administrator, everything discussed was within my skill set so I felt confident I could excel in this job, and I did. Almost immediately, I learned why the position was pending for so long: very difficult, micro manager who never learned to work well with others. Even this I could handle but the lack of communication that was shared by management down to other employees, which we were supposed to be aware of, made the jobs decision making process very difficult.

Interview Questions
    Initial salary offering was very low, negotiated up, but I was always way below the average salary for this job.

Team Leader III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Project Management Institute in December 2014.

I received a call from the recruiter to schedule a telephone interview. She was very nice and explained a lot about the company. However, she did not follow up like she said she would; whether or not I was a candidate for the position.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle being promoted over others who spend a longer time in the company   Answer Question

Marketing Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newtown Square, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newtown Square, PA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Project Management Institute in July 2011.

The HR department was exceptional to work with during the interview process. After submitted my resume online through a job site, I was contacted by PMI's recruiter and interviewed over the phone. It was a standard interview to give me general details about the organization and job as well as to vet me for an in-person interview. The interview was scheduled and the recruiter kept me very informed (via phone and email) regarding timing, date, location, directions and what to expect in the interview.

The first of two in-person interviews lasted approximately 45 minutes to an hour. It was with the supervisor of the position for which I was applying. Details were given about the position, organizational and departmental goals, and expectations. Questions were asked about qualifications and past experience, as well as off-the-cuff assessment of ways the job could/would be approached.

The second in-person interview lasted approximately 2 hours, and was a series of one-on-one interviews with three different people (each lasting approximately 30 minutes). I interviewed with the managers of two departments in which I would be working directly, as well as the VP of the division in which I would be working. The last portion of the time I was there for this interview, I met with the recruiter with whom I had been communicating to ask/have answered any general questions. At that time the recruiter communicated when I could expect to hear back about the interview results and what the next steps of the process would be.

The recruiter then contacted me (within the expected time frame) to let me know that an offer letter was being sent to me via email and postal mail. Once the offer letter was reviewed, signed and returned to the organization, I had to authorize that background and credit checks could be performed. Once all of that was passed, a start date was agreed upon and I was officially hired.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question: If you were a fruit, what would you be and why?   Answer Question

Market Analyst Interview

Culture: everyone is very nice and open in communication

Interview Questions
    • If you have a persuasive speech about the reasons you chose this company, they are very happy to offer you the position. Moreover, you must work hard and practice your project management skills.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Project Management Institute in February 2012.

I went through 3 rounds of interviews - 2 over the phone and 1 in person. The phone interviews were pleasant and I was very excited about the job. However, when I arrived onsite for an in-person interview, I did not get a good feel for the place. It seemed pretty sterile. I was taken into a small interview room off the reception area and I had three people come and meet with me seperately. They had clearly been interviewing people all day and by the time I met with the most senior person, it was easy to tell they would rather be anywhere but there interviewing another person.

Although the employees kept saying it was a pleasant place to work, I just did not get that sense from them. The senior person did tell me that they are a very collaborative environment with lots and lots of meetings - so if you have a problem with waiting a while to get approval on decisions, this would not be a good place for you to work.

When I asked if there were any red flags in my experience the senior person told me that a fit with their company culture was more important that level of experience. By the end of the interivew, I took that to mean that it was a pretty competitive environment and you needed to be completely dedicated to the job to work there.

Be ready to drop some names of books you have read about business, what inspires you and what you like to do when not at work.

The benefit package they showed me was amazing, but again, just did not get a good feel that it was a good place to work for work/life balance.

At the end of the 2 hour interview (my 3rd) I was told they would call me in 2 days. I did not hear from them for a week, and when I did, I received an automated email that said "Thank you for your interest. You are no longer being conisdered." Although I had already personally decided not to pursue the position, I was a bit taken aback by the impersonal nature of that email after having 3 interviews. It confirmed that my gut feel was correct and it would not have been a good fit for me.

Interview Questions
    • If I had to do something that had nothing to do with the job I was applying for, what would I do.   Answer Question
    • What book have I read recently that inspired my outlook on product management?   Answer Question